Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Has anyone used either of harbor freight's benchtop drill presses (5 speed + 1/3 HP or 12 speed + 5/8 HP)? I'm looking for a cheap benchtop press for drilling plastic and sheet metal, and to possibly attach a cross slide vice to do to extremely light plastic milling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

powderific posted:

I picked up the 12 speed cause it'll do half the RPM of the other one which I like for drilling metal. It seems... OK. I haven't used it much yet and have limited drill press experience otherwise. Definitely can feel the cheapness in the thing and tensioning the belts was annoying. It's definitely better than clamping stuff to a table and using a hand drill!

OK is probably fine for me, thanks. I'm trying to decide between it and an old similarly sized + rated craftsman from Craigslist (when new, the craftsman would have been better, but its old enough that getting replacement parts is expensive and tricky)

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Danhenge posted:

The batteries would need to be built to handle the series connection, so the the internal wiring would need to be rated for 80 volts, I think.

nope, the batteries would each internally only see 40V at the terminals. voltage is a relative measurement between two points, and since the batteries are in plastic cases that don't need to be grounded, they are effectively floating voltage sources (you never need to measure the voltage of anything within the battery pack to some arbitrary ground reference point).

some devices use dual batteries to get around air transport regulations on battery capacity--you can have two separate battery packs for a device (or even two "separate" battery packs within the same physical battery case, in some cases) just to keep each battery under 100 watt-hours. its kinda dumb and the regulation as written doesnt achieve the intended effect (mitigating the risk of fire by limiting the size of the energy source), but that's one of the reasons you see that. any device with two li-ion battery packs will either run them in series at double voltage, or discharge them sequentially, but never in parallel. having them in series lets you get the same maximum power as having them in parallel would (if that were feasible, but it generally isnt for technical reasons) and with better efficiency--a higher voltage battery will lose less energy to resistive losses in the system than a lower voltage battery at the same power.

Slanderer fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 10, 2022

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
does anyone have a guide/tutorial/video handy on sharpening new chisels? i'm not sure if there's anything special about them, bc i've only sharpened one before (and quickly + poorly)

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

To add, saltwater is a disposal method for lithium ion pouch packs used by RC cars because it's conductive enough to completely drain the cells after a conventional discharge method.

Ive since read that the salt water method is a myth / bad/ etc, but it was what i ended up doing several years ago after an RC plane incident led to a burning, slashed LiPo pack falling from the sky during my lunch break.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Can I use a benchtop belt sander to sharpen mower blades and chisels, or does that need a specialized sander or a belt grinder? I know nothing about this since I've never had room for much in my workshop, and a few google searches revealed all these DIY plans and conversion kits, so I feel like I'm going down the wrong rabbit hole. If it costs more than $150 I'll just keep badly sharpening things by hand.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Vim Fuego posted:

What is this plastic piece of junk that came with the cheap soldering iron I just bought? I'm about to throw it out but I thought I should check first. It doesn't fit the set screw that holds the tip in and I can't see a use for it. Anyone know?

Is it a soldering iron with a separate base? If so, is it a tool for adjusting a potentiometer inside of it to manually calibrate the temperature?

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
I'm gonna be fully disassembling and cleaning an old drill press, and I want to check the runout afterwards to make sure I didn't mess it up too bad. Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced dial indicator (w/ or w/o a magnetic base, preferably imperial)? Should I roll the dice with one of the counterfeit Mitutoyo's on amazon, or is there an actual low-end name brand I should go for?

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

deimos posted:

For a drill press you're not looking for anything extremely high accuracy, just decent with good repeatability, I'd use a cheaper brand like iGaging (from a reputable vendor so you don't get fake iGaging stuff).

Try taytools.com, pricing is not bad.

Thanks!

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
I bought this one last week and I haven't used them yet but they seem fine? Just tiny threaded aluminum guys

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CGLKJSM4

It's not visible from the pictures, but they all have holes drilled in them, so you could thread them on a string if you desired that instead at some point.

They're probably all the same like you said, so just get whichever set has the sizes you want.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Does anyone have a recommendation on ball end allen wrench sets? I was looking at Wera and Wiha but both have a whole bunch of sets, and I haven't had time to see how they differ

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Bob Mundon posted:

Why do it yourself? I've been really happy with this one, and they have versions with 32 or 42 gauges. Haven't run across one that wasn't on here though.

CKE Nut & Bolt Thread Checker (Inch & Metric) - 26 Male/Female Gauges,Stainless Steel - 14 Inch & 12 Metric https://a.co/d/5e9NBYM

Because I'm a sucker for little tool and equipment cases, thats why!

sharkytm posted:

Bondhus. IMHO they're the gold standard. Very reasonably priced, too. I have sets of the GoldGuard, the short arm, the T-handles, and several more.

Thanks, I'll take a look

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Does anyone have a source for hardware assortments? Specifically looking to get a few assortments of washers and retaining clips, but I want something better than the no-name brands on Amazon since the material quality can be random, and I don't want to order a thousand from McMaster Carr