Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

His Divine Shadow posted:

I maintain computers as part of my tasks in our small company, fortunately they have compressed air lines out in the workshop. Frankly I should have them drag a line into the office itself...

These are wonderful: http://www.amazon.com/Metro-Vacuum-ED500-500-Watt-Electric/dp/B001J4ZOAW/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Any suggestions on a staple gun that can handle both normal staples and some type of insulated cable staple (mainly for CAT5)? Manual, not air powered.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Spookydonut posted:

Looking at getting an orbital sander to prep the walls for painting, should I bother trying to get one that will attach easily to my shopvac or is it easier to use a collection bag and just empty it often?

Get one of these.

While sanding the walls is still a pain in the rear end, it's less of a pain in the rear end with a pole sander.

I'm not certain an orbital sander is really what you want.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Spookydonut posted:

I need to sand all the walls, the paint is pretty old and flaking in places, is my 1/3 sheet sander going to be okay? No dust extraction on it though.

Is it lead paint?

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Falco posted:

Lowes will often put the Hitachi 10" on sale for around $99. It's a great little saw for the money if you don't need to cut anything too big.

I bought the Hitachi, it works pretty well. My only wish is that it had a laser for alignment... but that's just because lasers are cool.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Suggestions for 12-gauge cord reels? This one looks like my only reasonably priced option: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200660247_200660247

Going to ceiling mount it in the garage.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've been fairly happy with the electric snowblower we bought: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040X4VB2

No screwing with gas motors. It handled the overhyped storm here in NJ pretty well. It's not really too happy going through the crap the plows leave at the end of the driveway, but otherwise it's worked pretty well.

This review is what sold it for us: https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R1IROVYG4E62X7/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B0040X4VB2

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dukket posted:

I know this is generally about new tools...

So for better or worse I picked up this old Craftsman table saw. I managed to bust the on/off switch in transport :( I'm guessing isn't that hard to fix, its just a light switch.

I'd definitely do something like this instead of a normal lightswitch: https://www.amazon.com/POWERTEC-71007-220V-Paddle-Switch/dp/B00KPEEPAW

Table saws terrify me.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

canyoneer posted:

Don't worry, those things are always pinpoint accurate and

Oh you reminded me... the town has been digging up the road for a variety of reasons. They called out the gas company, who marked some stuff and indicated that the supply to our house was in one place.

A few months later we have the gas company out replacing the meter, which requires them to find the street-side shutoff. After about an hour of dicking around, they find the shutoff about 15 feet from where they had initially marked, which was a couple feet away from where the town dug a massive hole.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

CarForumPoster posted:

Whats your budget? The Ideal and Klein brand ones that are in the $200+ price range made for cutting a certain mil spec wire is what I used at a crimp tool company I worked at and I really liked those...but I have no need for them and make do with a self adjusting $30 wire cutter I hate because I don't strip wires that often.

I haven't used this specific one, but this is the general idea:
https://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-11063W-Katapult-Stripper/dp/B00BC39YFQ

Key features:
-A die set that is dedicated to a certain AWG and closes to cut 360° (unlike the self adjusting ones)
-A wire gripper that holds the sheath and pulls it without putting too much force on it

I bought these awhile ago, and have been super happy with them.. no more screwing around trying to strip wire with a utility knife.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DreadLlama posted:

Pry loose your floor molding and drill a couple <3/32" holes in the wall. You'll know when you hit a stud. Draw a vertical line with a bubble level up from your hole. Put the floor molding back.

Must be nice to live somewhere where the floor molding has not been painted to the wall... so that removing it pulls off big chunks of paint, even after it's been cut.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have this Husky Tool Cabinet: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-52-in-9-Drawer-Tool-Cabinet-Textured-Black-H52TR9/206887196 ?

I'm trying to find something similar, without spending thousands of dollars...

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

OSU_Matthew posted:

I love his next video talking about getting hosed by YouTube's 'flag as inappropriate' algorithm, which basically blocks him out of video revenue from the initial spike of views from subscribers. So he basically told his viewers to use adblock because he doesn't care about the .02 cents per ad viewed, and is releasing stuff early to patreon subscribers instead.

Seems to be working for him! https://graphtreon.com/creator/AvE

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

B-Nasty posted:

Not to discourage you from your table saw dreams, but miter saws are a much better tool for doing stuff like flooring or trim. I guess if you're talking about ripping plywood for the subfloor, maybe, but a circular saw is usually easier than trying to feed sheet goods through a job site saw.

That said, all these job site saws are almost identical with different paint jobs. About the only thing that varies is the fence locking mechanism, and that is one of the most important aspects. I personally don't think paying > $300 for one of these types of saws is worth it. They're not real table saws, and they're only useful for a handful of homeowner-type stuff beyond what a miter/circular setup can handle. If you get more into woodworking, you'll want to get a real table saw, and that extra $300 for the Bosch would be better spent on that.

Near the edges of the floor you end up having to rip boards to width. Definitely need something other then a miter saw to do that.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

I got a card in the box with a product laying out the same fraud.

I sent a photograph to Amazon’s relevant department. Amazon didn’t give me my $10 (no good deed goes unpunished) and the product is still for sale, last I checked.

Unless you work for a major news organization, good luck getting past Amazon's level1 guys, who will just offer you a free month of prime.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Crotch Fruit posted:

I like the idea of the Bluetooth link to set clutch and RPM looks pretty cool, I'm not sure Mkaita has this.

Bluetooth controlled drill is a thing? WTF? Why would you want that?

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

skipdogg posted:

They're probably all gone, it hit the front page of slickdeals. I went Friday night as I knew there wouldn't be any left Saturday and there were 3 sets left. My local store got 24 sets I think. Some of those guys are doing returns though, so some might come back in stock.

No plans for the hammer drill really. I have no plans on drilling concrete or masonry. My thinking was the drill would be more versatile due to the 1/2 inch chuck and the drill/drive/hammer modes being selectable. My usage is like in the realm of "not even that handy of a homeowner". When I move into the new house I'll be using it a fair bit to hang blinds and put up shelves and stuff, but other than that I think I used my corded drill 6 times in the last year, and 5 of those were fixing fence pickets. The brushless impact was really tempting, maybe I should return the drill and get the impact instead.

Impact drivers are game changers really. Definitely worth having. It's basically "oh I have this fastener I want in/out, let me grab the impact". Mine gets a ton of use, even for generic household tasks (like.. assembling Ikea crap)

It's memorial day soon, so it's tool sale time.. for $99 you can get both

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

This one's my favorite https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2018/Harbor-Freight-Tools-Recalls-Chainsaws-Due-to-Serious--Injury-Hazard

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

FakePoet posted:

Is a garage heater a bad idea, generally speaking? Trying to find a Christmas gift for my brother, and he's (really) getting into the whole wood-working thing out there, but I'm not sure whether it's a non-starter. Don't think it'd need to be crazy powerful, just needs to take the edge off half the year.

This is $30 more then I paid for it, but is pretty awesome. It heats up our uninsulated garage pretty well, and running it on high for more then 10 minutes makes it way too hot.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

wandler20 posted:

Any recommendations for a miter saw stand?

I have this one which has been pretty great: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hitachi-Steel-Miter-Saw-Stand/1000039883

The instructions say you're definitely not supposed to move/store it with the saw attached... but I've been doing that anyway and it's fine.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2023/S...t-Injury-Hazard

Sledgehammer recall fun!

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
+1 for evaporust. I'd consider taking them apart before soaking them, you'll likely want to sharpen the blades afterwards anyway (due to the rust).

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Miter saw w/ stand is a huge time saver IMO. I just wish I'd bought one with a laser on it, that would have made things even faster.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

Trip report:

Good addition to this setup. Works just fine. I should have ordered a second battery (and put diesel in the tractor because I only realized it was almost empty when I started working). The little saw is perfect for "limbing" branches so they fit in my pathetically small chipper.

You think that's small? Let me introduce you to the one I have

I have 240v in my garage now, I should upgrade to a better one

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
How often do you need to go up there? You can rent various types of lifts...

I've got a folding ladder to get on my 1 story house and it's pretty terrifying.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The cutting edge to me looks like it's a different piece then the rest of the blade... did they only harden the cutting bit?

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

Okay thread: friend who needs to clean their grill, maybe wash a slate path or a stained deck if it's not too dirty. Gas is right out because it's something that will get used 2 to 4 times a year and they will not/will not be able to maintain it. The battery system is yellow, but that's likely irrelevant as that have 120v outlets where they need to use it.

Do we harbor freight this guy? Is there something worth buying if we pretend he's gonna drain it properly and not destroy the pump the very first time it freezes every year?

These make it absurdly easy to winterize things:
https://www.amazon.com/STA-BIL-Pressure-Washer-Protector-Lubricant/dp/B00NEG6KVU

Just screw it into the hose connector, press button until foam comes out the output, and you're done.

I just do it every time I put the pressure washer away.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

namlosh posted:

^^^^^^^
Nice… I did a few summers stripping, sealing and waxing floors with one of those. Sorry I can’t remember what we put on it or even if it would help if I did. We did mostly tile

Anyone who’s not aware: Be Careful… they may not look like much but it’ll put you into a wall easily if you snag something.

Anyway, I have a question: I don’t do a lot of stuff being in an apartment, but we do have a porch and last weekend I built a server rack using a hand saw, some hardware, and the cheapest 2x4s I could get at Home Depot. It’s pretty good and does the job but I have a question about sanding supplies. We have an orbital sander with the holes in the bottom to allow crap through. Seems it’s easy to find 3M pads for it everywhere.
Given my use cases and materials, what kind of grit pads should I keep on hand? I used 120, then 220 when those ran out. I didn’t notice a ton of difference between the finished product after using each. I’m mainly just trying to smooth out the cut and lessen the chances of splinters while building something with the wood.

Any recommendations? Do I even need 2 grits that close? For this use case, do people even take 2 passes?(rough grit/smoother grit)
Should I just grab a bunch of 220 (or 320?) and use that on this stuff?
What do you guys and/or gals do?

For smoothing out cuts I'd probably go with 60. 220 is final finish level, you definitely don't want to be using that on raw cuts, you'll chew through the pads. I keep 60, 120, and 320 on hand, and almost never use the 320

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Count Roland posted:

Does anyone have experience with small electric chainsaws?

My mom is big into gardening but is not big or strong. In any case its just tough pruning she wants the saw for, not felling trees. She saw some in-store and loves the idea of being able to use a chainsaw one-handed (which to me seems optimistic and/or dangerous). In any case, its the tiny ones she wants.

This Milkwake one looks like its exactly what she wants but is pricey
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/mi...tery/1001560523

Amazon features a zillion mini chainsaws of a different design. Cheap, I imagine the quality is all over the place
https://www.amazon.ca/Chainsaw-Cord...1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

Any suggestions?

How big of branches? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08G1PHVXG these will go through anything you can get their jaws around.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

deimos posted:

Is that the one TOT praised?

I believe so, it's been pretty great in the year I've had it...

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So I needed a new filter for my shopvac, so I went on homedepot.com and tried to order one.

I add it to the cart and it's trying to charge me $9 for shipping... whatever, then I get to this page:

And I'm looking at that (Outside) going... does that mean there's an (Inside) option as well?

And yes! For an extra $90.01 I can get it delivered to inside my house

I imagine somehow this item is marked as being freight? It's super weird.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Pro tip: Justify your tool purchases by helping your wife remove jewelry with them. Snap ring pliers are magical for removing captive beads from ear rings.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
We bought a couple glu-bots when we were doing our floating floor.. the smaller tip made not getting glue on the surface of the floor a lot easier. Outside of that, I haven't had much use for it, I don't go through wood glue that quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There is only one solution to the cardboard issue: https://www.wastecare.com/Products-Services/Balers/Baler_Vertical_60_ECB.htm