Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Wooooo. Babby's first power tools

I'm gonna beat the poo poo out of these things and then use it as an excuse to buy real power tools but for right now woooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Anubis posted:

Not sure you want to hear this, but if you take reasonable care of them those two will NEVER die. Old heavy B&D tools were the poo poo and outside of maybe needing a new arbor or a new cord you can expect to use those for the next 20 years or so.

I'm aware of their quality. And only $15 for both!

Will probably end up buying a cordless drill just because having a drill tethered to an outlet is a pain in the rear end.

But for now, f yeah.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

A surprise raise has taken me from "scouring craigslist for something that isn't falling apart" and "weighing out what parts really need to be replaced on the 11 year old Dewalt I pulled out of the trash" and into "gently caress it, I'ma buy a $600 table saw" territory

I could get a sweet loving well maintained Delta for $100 from my friend, but my current housing situation doesn't have space to run a hybrid saw, so I'm looking at jobsite/contractor saws

All my research has basically pointed me at
The Dewalt 7491
and
The Bosch 4100

This is mostly for some beginner-level woodworking and probably like 80% of the time it's just going to be hacking up plywood

Anyone got any experience with either or any other recomendations?

The fence on the Dewalt is drat loving nice

And the Dewalt I pulled out of the trash is going to eventually get repurposed into a router table :)

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Sockser posted:

A surprise raise has taken me from "scouring craigslist for something that isn't falling apart" and "weighing out what parts really need to be replaced on the 11 year old Dewalt I pulled out of the trash" and into "gently caress it, I'ma buy a $600 table saw" territory

I could get a sweet loving well maintained Delta for $100 from my friend, but my current housing situation doesn't have space to run a hybrid saw, so I'm looking at jobsite/contractor saws

All my research has basically pointed me at
The Dewalt 7491
and
The Bosch 4100

This is mostly for some beginner-level woodworking and probably like 80% of the time it's just going to be hacking up plywood

Anyone got any experience with either or any other recomendations?

The fence on the Dewalt is drat loving nice

And the Dewalt I pulled out of the trash is going to eventually get repurposed into a router table :)

Went and played around with both at the Lowe’s by my job, liked the Dewalt a lot more, ended up getting it. Put it together last night, made a couple test cuts today, still need to double check everything is square and aligned and everything but I like it quite a bit so far.

Sockser posted:

Went and played around with both at the Lowe’s by my job, liked the Dewalt a lot more, ended up getting it. Put it together last night, made a couple test cuts today, still need to double check everything is square and aligned and everything but I like it quite a bit so far.

Sockser fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 16, 2018

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Last weekend, I bought a DeWalt 7491RS from Home Depot for $579

Today, that price is $499 on amazon

Which means poo poo for me since I’d have to run circles around town and hope I still have my Home Depot receipt

But hey if you want a pretty badass saw for $450, Lowe’s will price match Amazon and knock another 10% off

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

If you used a credit card, you don't need your receipt.

Still gonna require me going to Lowe’s to buy the same saw and then lugging that fucker to Home Depot and try to return it and hope they’re cool

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

DeWalt stuff is nice but I really just kinda hate their drills. Always have. Feel super clunky and anecdotally, have always had battery problems between my dads old NiCad ones and his newer Lithium ones and all the ones at my hackerspace are always making GBS threads the bed after like an hour
Also the yellow is totally very loving ugly

I have a Bosch drill that’s easily the best loving drill I’ve ever held but it’s so inconvenient to buy more Bosch stuff in the states

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Being in Ryobis battery system is nice sometimes just for all the other dumb poo poo that you now have available

Like their fuckin cordless hot glue gun. I love that thing.

And I’ve been eyeing up their new shop vacs and stuff that run on the same batteries.

Also the prices on like all their poo poo just got dropped, I’ve been thinking about upgrading my old blue Ryobi impact to a new pulse driver since they’re only $80 now

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah, but do you get a cordless coffee maker like us Nakita folks do?

:psyduck: oh my god it’s real

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJx0dqtDNfE

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

TheDK posted:

I've got Ryobi stuff and while I understand it's not the most powerful, I've found it super convenient. I have the drill, circular sander, weed whacker and blower. The blower is really weak and the only one I'm not pleased with but the others are great.

Disclaimer I don't do a lot of DIY stuff.

Interested to hear what others think too because I was planning on getting a reciprocating saw this weekend.

Ryobi is totally chill and fine if you’re doing occasional stuff, and assuming they honor their commitment to never changing their battery standard you should just be able to incrementally buy and upgrade things like forever

TheManWithNoName posted:

I have a Bosch 18v drill and driver and part of me wishes I bought into a bigger ecosystem like Ryobi.

I have a Bosch 18v drill that goes with all my Ryobi tools and god it’s so much loving nicer and it’s the tool I use the most so it’s nice to have a nicer piece of equipment but yeah bro g in a big ecosystem and being able to just swap out my batteries all over the place is great

But gently caress me if I’ll ever touch my Ryobi drills if the Bosch has any charge left in it

Though I do use a Ryobi impact

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

They just like, permanently knocked down the price of those to $80 and I imagine they’ll run the Christmas 2 for $100 sale again for Father’s Day

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I bought one of those Ryobi One+ 3 gallon shopvacs

It’s not the best shopvac in the world by any means

But it was pretty nice to have on site while I was drilling pocketholes and routing acrylic and stuff

Worth $90? Probably not. If you could catch one on sale for like, I dunno, $70? Maybe worth it.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

sanchez posted:

Home Depot has a ryobi 2x 3ah battery with free tool promo going on at the moment for $99. I got the brushless impact, there is a pretty good selection available including a cool looking portable shop vac.

I bought that shop vac a few weeks ago, it is indeed pretty great. Mostly it's just been used for my pockethole jig so I don't need to get out the full size shopvac, or getting stuff off my workbench. Not worth $90, but probably worth $free

I grabbed the Ryobi Pulse Driver as my free tool. It's pretty rad and quiet as gently caress. Must be some sort of wizard living in there.

Might do another set of batteries and grab a trim router. My current router is a massive Craftsman from the 60s that does a great job but is loud and scary and unweildy for tiny jobs

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Buy an impact (or a pulse driver if you’re doing Ryobi) and start using star-drive screws and never look back

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I pulled a broken Dewalt 744 (or similar) table saw out of the trash a few months back
Motors shot because a bearing exploded inside it. I thought about buying a bunch of replacement parts, probably would’ve been around $150 to get it up and running again, ended up buying a new saw before I really sat down to do that, though.

So now my thought is ripping out the remaining guts like the blade assembly and turning it into a router table

But my router is a giant craftsman beast from the mid 60s so that thing ain’t going in there.

Anyone got any recs on a decent smallish router? 99% of what I’m gonna use it for is real basic edge profiles and slot cutting, probably not going to be running a box joint jig on it or anything

Or should I just say gently caress it, keep my free saw blades, and put it back out in the trash, and built a nice little plywood table instead?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Buy a GrrRipper

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

My Bosch still came with a hardcase that I exclusively use as a place to put the battery charger so I don’t lose it

My 1960s craftsman router has a real badass plastic case that takes up lots of space and can’t really hold too many bits but I wouldn’t be able to swing a better solution so I’m the hardcase it stays

My nail gun is in a soft bag which is also filled with a bunch of nails

All my electronics stuff is packed real tight into a pretty small soft bag

My drill/impact/bits/weird bits are all commingled in one of those small Rigid stacking toolboxes

All my other power tools just get thrown together into a big stacking rigid toolbox together in a big pile, with some extra saw blades and batteries tucked away with em

And then my hand tools all just get loving scattered to the wind never to be found again because I’m awful at not losing poo poo

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I've had Porter Cable 18v drill and impact driver for years now but the drill chuck mysteriously seized wide open today. I'll keep messing with the chuck to see if I can unstick it but in the meantime in thinking about replacing it.

Is it worth upgrading to a newer 20v system? It's been so long since I've tool shopped that there's a bewildering array of battery system options out there. The impact driver and a couple other parts of the kit still work fine, so I'd have two mismatched systems.

I'm a light-medium duty home user but have a standing policy to replace cheap tools with better ones when they break, so I'm not considering whatever lovely house brand Lowe's or Home Depot sell.

Ryobi’s commitment to keeping their batteries standard “forever” is a pretty big selling point to me as a small time DIYer and may be worth considering, if being able to keep the same batteries next time something dies matters to you

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Rigid isn’t going to be that big of an upgrade over Ryobi, fwiw, unless you’re real into something that exists only on their platform

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I’ve been seeing the Milwaukee ones at Home Depot lately and they don’t seem like the worst idea in the world if you’re outside working and can swap out packs regularly

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

The christmas stuff is out at Home Depot and Lowe's and it all feels pretty underwhelming, unless I've missed something

Anyone get anything decent?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I have a portable workbench, I find it pretty handy

I can’t imagine any scenario where I would want my portable workbench to be a loving router table

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Bondematt posted:

Any deal I'm going to find that's better than this?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-1...-P122/306764492

Really just need the Drill, Impact, and Saw. DIY/Homerepair

That’s pretty solid. And then anything else you find you need you can pick up at Father’s Day for insane prices

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

whats a good brand/model of orbital palm sander? i've got an old as hell quarter sheet Porter that my dad gave me

any reason to get a quarter sheet over a circular pad sander? seems like sheets of paper are cheaper but a minor PITA to swap out sheets compared to the self adhesives

I've got the Dewalt RO and it's pretty great, but I've always been envious of the pneumatic RO at my hackerspace. That thing fuckin takes material off like a belt sander

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I have a Bosch drill that my dad got me that I absolutely love

But I can’t justify throwing around Bosch money on all my tools so I’m a lowly Ryobi boy and I’m happy enough with everything I have

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I have the Ryobi one and I fuckin love it compared to my old regular impact

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

If Ryobi tools weren't green I'd still be angling to paint half my poo poo that color anyway :colbert:

As it stands half the stuff in my shop is Ryobi and the other half is Ridgid and I've really embraced my Nickelodeon aesthetic.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

If you've got the space for a dedicated table saw like that, more power to you, and having the larger table is great, but I've been doing great with my Dewalt 7491 once I got used to using it over a big fuckin Sawstop cabinet saw, and I think they're regularly like $450 new

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This jointer popped up on an auction site and I could snag it super cheap. Unfortunately, this photo is the only info I’ve got and it’s not a good photo

There’s a public preview for the auction next Thursday but if anyone can figure out what this is/if it’s worth my time before I spend 40 minutes driving over there to look, that’d be rad

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

My old hackerspace had pneumatic random orbit sanders and when I finally upgraded my sheet sander to a random orbit at home I was thoroughly disappointed that it wasn’t anywhere near as badass

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Butch Cassidy posted:

Picked up an open box discount Ryobi 18v reciprocating saw for my wife to go with her grandfather's old drill, teeny circular saw, and few other One+ goodies come Easter. Vetted it while she's out and I want one now. The light weight and lack of cord around a demo project would be blissful as much as I love my corded DeWalt.

Have a commission payment coming in that I'll throw at a brushless Makita. Thinking single-battery to max out convenience since I still have my corded for tougher stuff.

Do you and your wife not share power tools??

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

I've just bought the dewalt 745 which was close to $1000.

A dewalt 745 costs under $300 my dude

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I’ve got 3 of those long Kreg Robertson bits that are almost useless, does that count?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

The bed liner in my truck has slots that take 2x4s and create a perfect platform on top of the wheel wells
Then I can screw another 2x4 underneath connecting them and I have a beautiful plywood sled

And then I can use the bits that stick out of the tailgate as sawhorses already

I wish my bed liner wasn’t all cracked and hosed up though.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

All of my cordless stuff is Ryobi with the exception of an 18v Bosch drill that I got for free that I absolutely love

I also have a corded ridgid belt sander because the ryobi one is kind of dog poo poo.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

18” rip capacity is pretty small, yeah. You could probably get by on making bookshelves but anything bigger or more complex is likely to be a pain in the rear end or not possible.

Worth it to save up a bit, once you hit the $500 price point contractor saws start becoming a lot more versatile.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Petite Dinklage posted:

This one?

Maybe I just need to wait and get this DEWALT. I'm going to want a stand anyway, and every other DEWALT tool I own has been solid.

The dewalt 7491 goes on sale from time to time, I think I paid $520 for mine. It’s 100% great. I had also considered the comparable Bosch but I’m all about the rack and pinion fence.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I’ve had pretty good experience with the Yoniko router bits, for what it’s worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Dewalt has discontinued the 779 miter saw, I guess, for the 780. As a result, the 779 is only $350 for a 12” sliding miter, which is definitely more than I need but at that price it’s hard to argue

Home Depot’s website has it in stock in the morning, $350, I’ve got $300 of gift cards ready to go later in the day, cool cool, two hours later surprise it’s $550 now. Not cool, Home Depot.

It’s still $350 on amazon and at Lowe’s but that doesn’t really help me, except make me want to just hold off and buy one of them sweet Bosch glide saws instead.