Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Does anyone have advice on airless paint sprayers? I have an entire house to paint, plus a shed later, I'm willing to spend up to £100 but less would be nice. I'll be painting with ordinary matt & silk emulsions & some sort of stain for the shed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pads & rollers it is, thanks!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Painting with roller & pads doesn't take that long, I'll just suck it up & get stuck in. Thanks fellas.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I've used the father-in-laws makita cordless & as long as what your cutting is solid/ restrained it's easy peasy.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

SpartanIV posted:

So I found a really nice looking old drill at Goodwill the other day. It looks just like this:

Open the drill up, check the brushes. If there's a bit left, take them to a good hardware/tool store & ask for new ones.

It might not be the brushes, does the shaft spin by hand? Check the continuity of the wiring & the function of the switch also.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

My brother has this arse pain of a power planer:

It was never right, I think the po "rebuilt" it, it spits belts and doesn't drive stock 9 times out of 10. Other than paying some dude with a beard to come tut at it, what can I do to help him with it? He can easily waste half a day trying to get it going when he should be earning money instead.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Blistex posted:

If only there was something a high school teacher with impending financial problems could do to make a lot of money fast. . .

Well if you're handy with woodwork you could refit RV's :haw:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Cordless inspection cameras can be had for less than £100 over here, nothing fancy but cheap enough to get on a whim & inevitable useful.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I wish you could get a decent cheap trailer kit in the UK, the Harbor freight one looks like exactly what I need right now. It's either overpriced junk on eBay or very very overpriced new trailers.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

For a plane I would go a hell of a lot finer than 120, I'd want to finish on 600 personally, at a minimum.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Oil will help.

I need drill bits, wood and metal. I'm in the uk and up until now I've just bought cheap ones and hated them. Anyone got brands etc to recommend?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

New blade, check for cracks in the arms, general look-see & lubricate. There isn't a lot to go wrong, as long as you're aware they're not a replacement for a bandsaw.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Ryobi do an 18v caulk gun, it cracks me up every time I see one for sale at ~£80, without batteries.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hubis posted:

So I finally moved into a Big Boy house with a workshop and everything, and now have the opportunity to start building up a collection of tools I had no justification for owning before. In the immediate term I'm looking at a few small DIY projects (no more demanding than cutting some plywood/MDF and 2x4's / planks) and was considering picking up one of the various cordless tool sets to give me a good all-around base to start with. I've got a few questions:

- 18v vs 12v? I've seen a lot of people speak well of 12v tools for everyday use, but I am guessing that if I wanted an all-around set I should be aiming for 18v? If I go that route, does it make sense to get a heavy duty 18v impact drill and then just get something separate in the 12v range for light duty?
- What would I realistically need a 1/2" chuck for? Can I get away with 3/8" for most everyday use?
- Are 18v circular saws worth it, if it's going to be my primary cutting tool? Or are they just not going to be sufficient beyond slicing 2x4's (which will probably still be a lot of what I do)?
- How much do I really want/need a reciprocating saw?
- Are there other tools that would be good to consider for a rounded cordless toolbox?
- Are there any tools (mentioned or otherwise) I should just nut up and get a corded/table for?
- Brand overload.
-- Ryobi: Worthwhile, or a "trap" purchase? There seem to be a ton of tools and sets available, making the battery re-usability seem very appealing; however, based on price-point alone I'm wary, and am certainly willing to spend more on tools I'll be happy with for a long time.
-- DeWalt/Makita/Milwakee/Rigid: I've seen them all mentioned positively. Any particular pros/cons between the brands, or is it just a matter of preference
- Purchasing: Are there any online stores I should be shopping, or can I mostly do pretty well just looking at what they've got at the Home Depot down the street?

Sorry if these are answered elsewhere -- I skipped back a few pages and didn't see anything solid.

There's generally a better range of 18v tools than 12v, and more power is better unless the wrought is a problem. Rather than get 2 voltages of tool with 2 different batteries and chargers, lots of ranges have a lightweight screwdriver or drill driver as well as the normal/heavy impact combo drill driver.
1/2" impact - vital working on a car.
Reciprocating saw, want, more than need. Basically a demo saw.

As a primary cutting tool I'd have (I do have) a corded circular saw, but that's personal preference. I'd want a jigsaw and sander, perhaps grinder and reciprocating tool.

I won't recommend a brand, most are good. I can't speak for buying outside the UK.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I have ryobi and I'd buy the caulk gun if it were £10. I'd also say you do need 18v in a drill, it's the most used tool and not having the power to drive long screws or get through concrete is the worst.

I also got ryobi because of the yard tools, I've always got my eye out for a cheap strimmer and hedge cutters but I use the £20 vacuum more than any other tool in the house.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

If you can stretch to that $199 kit above it'll be hard to beat.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Funny, that's little to no 12v kit available over here, it's 10.8v, 14.4v and 18v.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

My circular saw came with a set of adapters to run different arbor sizes, is that what you mean?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Can someone educate me on what the different types of nailer are and where/what they should be used for please? Amazon vine sent me a free brad nailer and I'm wondering if I can build small structures with it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Motronic posted:

Small structures? If by that you mean maybe a bird house, then maybe.

Brads are very small finishing nails. They are for attaching trim.

There are a lot of different kinds of nails and nailers for nearly every one of them. You start with a framing nailer to frame something out, possibly a palm nailer for tough spots like joist hangers. Then move on to a coil nailer for siding/roofing. Then move on to a finish nailer for door trim/window trim. And down further to a brad nailer for really small detail trim. Even smaller and lighter than that is a pin nailer which I've never had a need for, but a lot of woodworkers/craftspeople seem to like them a lot.

So when it says it'll do 35mm brads, that's for really big trim? Or could I use those for attaching siding?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Motronic posted:

Siding isn't attached with brads. The nails have to have larger heads on them (especially for vinyl siding).

So brads are headless nails, gotcha thanks. Looks like if I wanted to build anything of a decent size I'd need 2 more nail guns, framing and siding.

Well I already own hammers so unless I'm planning on raising a barn that'll do.

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Sep 28, 2014

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

asdf32 posted:

If you want to build things quickly an impact driver and square or star screws starts to approach a nailgun in terms of ease but is also stronger.

Out of all the projects I do I often have the most fun throwing together 2x4 projects with the impact, the hackzall, and screws. It's almost like Legos for real life. Log holder, canoe stand, lumber rack etc.

I'm in the UK so decent head screws are harder to come by, star head self countersinking screws that I've seen are nearly £100 for 250, but flanged hex head screw's are much cheaper, at £17 for 100. I don't currently have an impact but it's next on my tool list.

Thanks, guess I can use the brad nailer to pin things while I get a proper fixing in.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

Phillips aren't anything on star or square drive, but will do fine for joinery. No need for fancy screws really.

I dislike Phillips, I wish there was a good cheap alternative like square drive over here.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Bearing puller and heat, and impact. Do you need to keep the pulley? If not cut it off with a grinder, if so go gentle with the heat and impact.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I've been reading about people insetting jigsaws into tables to make cheapo bandsaw type dealies. Are they as terrible and dangerous as they sound, or do they actually have a valid use-case?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

ADHDan posted:

I would love to hear more about this because I'm contemplating moving my router into a table saw wing extension, and I wouldn't mind doing something with my Bosch router table (same one everyone hates) other than sell it.

I'll go dig a pic up but basically make a plate that drops into the router table like the adapter plates that let you turn a router into a router table, but mount your jigsaw to the underside rather than a router.

Router router router router.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Post 556 on this page

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174553&page=28

Though the whole thread is required reading.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'm planning to build a workbench when I move, and wanted to install a table saw as well as leave a drop in space for a router plate. Should I spend £100-200 on a real table saw to build in or can I mount my handheld circular saw in the table as well? For basic straight and angled cuts(no fancy stacked blades etc) will this do the job or will it make me regret the savings?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

Cakefool, £250, from what I understand Startrite is considered a good brand:
http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/startrite-tilt-arbour-pannel-saw-ta3000-t84199.html

Perhaps if you are near there, assuming you have the space for it, it's probably larger than what you imagined getting.

Frustratingly I'm unable to buy right now, no space otherwise I'd be very tempted.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

wormil posted:

People do mount circular saws upside down, look up John Heisz or Woodgears if you want to see it done about as well as it can be. It isn't something I'd recommend to a beginner but it is possible to do safely and accurately. If the saw is mounted securely with a secure rip fence, it's as safe as a jobsite saw (which are just factory versions of an upside down circ saw). Matthias claims his is more accurate than cheap table saws (and he's probably right). The kneejerk reaction will be people telling you it's unsafe, but what they are really saying is they don't trust you to do it safely. The question is do you trust you? As for router tables, they are super simple to make. Just make the top thick enough so it won't sag. I recommend 1" or thicker surrounding the router.

Heisz: http://www.ibuildit.ca/Workshop%20Projects/utility-table-saw-1.html

Well that's reassuringly simple, I'm happy I can do that safely.

Woodgears: http://woodgears.ca/homemade_tablesaw/

I could work a Saturday or two overtime and buy a real saw, which would be a poo poo load quicker than me trying to copy that.

Thanks though, Heisz' site particularly is full of fun stuff I want to make.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

SkunkDuster posted:

I bought a Dewalt DW511 1/2" corded drill. My previous drill had some clips on the side where you could store driver bits, but the new one doesn't. The Dewalt has a nice flat spot on top where I'd like to mount something to hold bits, but the only thing I found on Amazon looked like some cheap piece of foam. I was also thinking maybe a spark plug wire loom might work. Any ideas for something I can stick on the top of my drill to store spare driver bits?

Epoxy a magnet or strip of magnetic tape to it?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hypnolobster posted:

Get this instead.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_201222-89771-LLL001_0__?productId=3116981

I use one at work occasionally. It's pretty handy. Too much paint on the spot for 2x8, at least for treated wood. Had to hit it with the grinder for a minute to get it to slide over. Otherwise it's great for quick stuff.

drat that looks useful but I can't see anything like it in the UK. I could cad one up and get it laser cut cheap enough though, I might do that as a present for myself when I have the cash.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Measure twice with three different tape measures, mark the wrong side, cut badly, swear continuously.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I got an electric brad gun that drives staples, that seems to have the muscle for the job but I don't have the brand or model handy.

E: Amazon history: tacwise 181els

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Nov 27, 2014

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

canyoneer posted:

It drives me nuts to not see people wear correct PPE. I work for a big manufacturing company (not on the floor) and they are nuts about it. They even send us emails this time of year about safe practices for hanging up Christmas lights.
It takes, like, 4 seconds to put on eyes, ears, and gloves. But all the PPE in the world can't correct unsafe practices.

I thought the advice was no gloves for anything with moving blades? No issue with the other advice, one of the foreman I used to work with on a previous job was happy for people to steal ppe for home use, if it meant you turned up to work with all your fingers and eyes :v:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Is it 20v or just USA 18v dick waving like the 10.4v 12v stuff?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

If it's the same as the super cheap £60-90 boxes you can get in the UK (looks like it) I wouldn't give it to my son for toys.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Tora! Tora! Tora! posted:

My bro sent me one of those fancy push blocks:

Dummy question, what is it or what does it do?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Can they charge you a restocking fee if it's just absolute shite and you're returning it because it's doa?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

We have a corded hand whisk/mixer. I always grab the cleaner of my two ryobi drill drivers and slip the whisk attachment into the chuck. Cordless is better for nearly everything.