Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode
Hey folks, my tools and spare parts have reached a sort of critical mass of separate bags, bins, boxes and chests. I'm looking to organize everything, but what I'm seeing at Home Depot/Lowes looks pretty flimsy and uninspiring.

I have a metal toolbox now that holds most of my Actual Tools (wrenches, drivers, sockets, files, specialty tools like multimeters, clamps), but it's a metal three-drawer Craftsman jobby (grew up in a Craftsman Tools house) that weighs like twice as much as the tools inside. Everything else (fasteners, glues, straps) is basically constantly stuffed in nesting bags of random provenance.

I'm a city dweller that won't have a garage/workspace anytime soon, so weight and portability is pretty important, I've discovered. So can anyone recommend a brand or two that has good plastic toolboxes that have actual interior organization, and are ideally stackable and/or expandable? Most of the plastic sets I've seen are jobsite kits that are mostly just square buckets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode

kid sinister posted:

You know, for organizing the small stuff like screws and fasteners, you might even want to think about fishing tackle boxes.

Yeah, it's funny how the same plastic box can end up in the fishing, crafts, and tool aisle in the same megastore, just with a different label.

BraveUlysses those ToolGuyd links are clutch, thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for.

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode

SpartanIvy posted:

Thinking my favorite tool of 2021 was probably my Knipex wire strippers/electrical pliers. They're just so much better than every other Klien or whatever other brand I've used.

Which pliers did you get, precisely? I switched a 1-gang box to 2-gang today and realized my only wire strippers were a super-janky pair I got from AutoZone when I was swapping car speakers. I think I bruised my palm trying to cut 14/2 wire.

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode
My kids have taken to doing demo derby with their RC cars, so I needed a glue gun more than usual. If you're Team Green, you can get their nicest glue gun (P307) right now, and they'll throw in a 2 Ah high-performance battery for free.

BUT, turns out they'll also pay you $12 to give you 24 extra glue sticks with the same tool. So $54 for a glue gun and a free battery, or a battery for half-off and a free glue gun, however you want to look at it.

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode

H110Hawk posted:

Why is this so compelling over a $10-20 corded with a bunch of sticks which will likely last until the end of time? Is it $53 2ah battery+charger?

but but but if I buy enough lime green tools then maybe *~Ryobi senpai~* might finally notice me :sweatdrop:

Yeah it's not a super-compelling deal, but my ~10yo 1.5 Ah batteries, which I appreciate for their relative lightness, are starting to give up the ghost, so I'm replacing them opportunistically.

Motronic posted:

What a trash fire of a web site.

Yeah, agreed.