Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

For tire inflators I really like my DeWalt (DCC020IB), works great for air mattresses too. Really wish it had USB ports or something too though, it'd be perfect for camping.

Edit: lol it's $40 more expensive than when I bought it a year and a half ago, sheesh

Fifty Three fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Aug 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Russian Bear posted:

Is everyone still psyched with their e-go yard tools? Has everyone else caught up in terms of their offerings? Looking for a string trimmer and leaf blower.
After a year of use I still love my EGO mower and string trimmer, but admittedly it's only one year. I use the mower for both mulching and bagging and I just leave the mulch blade on constantly and it works great.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

fralbjabar posted:

Just like to throw out another anecdotal point for maybe avoiding EGO tools:

I got the power head and pole saw kit about six months ago, have used it maybe 3 or 4 times since then. Thursday I went out to use it to trim a couple branches, got halfway through the first branch and it just stopped entirely. Pulled it out and thought the blade bound at first, but the saw lifted out of the cut easily. Reseated the battery, tried a different battery, fully charged, etc - nothing, power head is completely dead. Tried EGO support and they seemed unwilling to honor the warranty. They asked for a bunch of troubleshooting - fully charge the battery, verify the battery in another tool, etc. After all of that they then mentioned that since I told them it first stopped while I was cutting that "it may not be covered by the warranty, as it could be damage from improper use".

Thankfully I thought to bring it to the service counter at my local Ace hardware where I bought it in the first place, and they're just going to swap the power head out for me no questions asked. Minus points for EGO warranty, but plus points for my local hardware store who I will now be strongly recommending to everyone I know.
Sheesh. Really hoping I never need to use my warranty.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

bobua posted:

Continuing mower talk, it looks like i might be back to mowing my own lawn after 17 years of easy street. I know I want electric, but everything I have is makita and I've loved it, but I never see their mower mentioned in electric mower talk. Anyone need to talk me out of it?
I really like my Ego 21" non-self-propelled mower. It's got two stacked blades and you can swap em out but I always just leave the mulching one on there regardless of whether I'm bagging or not. However, I've only had it for a year so I can't speak to longevity.

Edit whoops this was 2 days old, that's what I get for not refreshing first

Fifty Three fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Apr 9, 2023

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

UKJeff posted:

The only people I see using gas trimmers these days are the landscapers. Thank goodness too, that sound is really annoying
This is the main thing for me, honestly. My Ego mower and trimmer work just fine for me, and they're no louder than a box fan.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

Another thing people classify as a con that I actually kinda enjoy.
Believe me, I get it, I love engines. Just wish my entire neighborhood wasn't the constant sound of riding mowers, weed whackers, and leaf blowers for ten months out of the year. My neighbors with electric tools are much less intrusive on the peace and quiet.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

This is why the pro strat is to gradually remove sections of your lawn and replace it with nice landscaping and native plants that don't require constant trimming

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I usually mow on Sundays because I'm too busy enjoying my Saturday, become ungovernable

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

It's illegal where I live to mow your lawn on Sundays 🇨🇭
Lol that actually rules, I like it. Guaranteed quiet day on the weekend.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

At the end of my '98 Ranger's life, I used a pair of vice grips as the headlight switch. The perfect tool.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Mr. Mambold posted:

That actually reminds me of what happened to a friend's wife when the power went out during a hailstorm. It was really convoluted story, but her car got beat to poo poo.
I started a reply asking why they didn't just pull the emergency release handle but remembered I just moved out of a place where the garage didn't have any other entrances :doh:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I've had the Ego 21" non-self-propelled Select Cut Whatever for two summers and it's been great for ~6000sqft of yard. I get the upper and lower blades sharpened every year for a few bucks. Two 5Ah batteries are more than enough for that + string trimmer, sticks aren't an issue until they're more than 1/2" thick or so.

Everyone I know who complained about battery life after a year wasn't aware of the storage self-discharge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Are you saying that I should discharge the batteries prior to storage for the winter, or that the batteries naturally drain over time and need to be recharged before use in the spring? Or something else?
Sorry, I should've been more clear- I heard multiple complaints of "I left them on a shelf/on the charger over the winter and they only lasted a fourth of the usual duration next time I used them, they must be dead."

Ego batteries have an internal timer that will intentionally discharge down to 30% after one month without use. Remove and reseat the battery to reset this timer and they'll charge back up to 100%.

Fifty Three fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Apr 2, 2024