Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK
Yesterday I went to a used tool shop. They have a wide variety of used tools with some new tools.
(For anyone in Spokane, WA. Its called Doughboys)

After looking around and finding nothing I absolutely needed. I looked down on the floor and found this gem. It had no price on it so I took it to the counter and asked how much it cost.

The shop owner said $2

That's an 8" Reed Pipe wrench. I may not use it often but it will come in handy on small gas jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

tworavens posted:

I got some of these Wera Insulated screwdrivers:
http://www.amazon.com/Wera-Stainless-Insulated-Professional-Screwdriver/dp/B00359FAYE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1302240088&sr=8-2

Very nice. I like the laser etched tips, they do actually grip the screws better. So far they are at least as good as Klein insulated screwdrivers, and they don't cost $200+ for a set. The weird looking grips actually do feel better in my hands. I've been upgrading to insulated tools lately to reduce the chances that I burn my eyebrows off shorting something in a panel.

Wera also makes an 'economical' set for $25 which is a pretty good deal I think.

Ok I can't really see the laser etched tips. But what difference could it really make?

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

dwoloz posted:

Mid century power tools look amazing too. Ive thought about buying some before but metal housing without a ground seems like a terrible idea

I have been shocked by new drills because I had to drill in 1/4 inch of water while kneeling. It really doesn't hurt to bad, its more annoying feeling.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

I am looking for a tool I saw on a job site years ago. I wish I would have remembered the names.

It basicly had two devices , you put one on one side of a wall. You could then go to the other side and ping this locator off of it. And it would tell you the exact point where both devices met.

If anyone can help me find it i'd love to see what they cost because it would come in handy in plumbing remodels.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

I've found when drilling into most types of metal with a bit. If you feather the trigger on then off in 2 sec bursts it will drill better. The reason is unless you can get the correct speed the drill bit will just spin to fast and won't bite. When you feather the trigger it will bite every second and remove much larger chunks. Also it wont over heat your drill bit which does ruin them.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

I am looking for a toolbox that has multiple drawers but can he hand carried. I am using a 18x 12 inch with a top tray right now for my hand tools but i'd like a multi drawer unit to separate hand tools by use. I'd like a deeper drawer on the bottom to store larger tools like my multimeter and tubing bender.

Also I am trying to find a T handle wrench that does 1/4 and 5/16th nut driver. It doesn't have to be a deep socket but a 2 in on would be nice. I don't like a multi screw driver since they seem to strip out easier then a nut driver itself.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

I forgot to share the best utility knife. Now I've carried an expensive bench made but I really worried that if I lost it I would be out $80. So I found this at a local hardware store. I haven't found one similar to it.

QuickSlide™ Pocket Knife

Height 1-9/16"
Length 5-3/4"
Width 3/4"
Weight 0.36 lb

The blade release works great and ive even taken this knife apart numerous times to clean it and lube it. I like that its not flip out because this is way easier to open up.

If you need a good knife for work i'd suggest this one.

Turd Herder fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Dec 10, 2011

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

Circus Pies! posted:

Well gently caress, I've been robbed.

I went out to my garage today for the first time since last weekend to find the place completely turned upside down. I stood there for a few minuets completely dumbfounded, like my brain would not accept what I was seeing. This really sucks. So far I've been able to determine that they got:

RYOBI bench top drill press
RYOBI bench top band saw
RYOBI trim router
RIDGID reciprocating saw
RIDGID Random orbit sander
CRAFTSMAN Router attached to a 18’ X 18” square of 1/2” thick MDF board
DEWALT 12v cordless drill
DEWALT 12v cordless impact driver
DEWALT 18v cordless circular saw
DEWALT tool bag full of bits, sockets and other small tools
Black tool bag(s) full of bits, sockets and other small tools

Who says living in the country is safe? People who are loving wrong, that's who!

If you live around Nashville, TN and hear about someone selling this kind of stuff call the police.

I live up in washington but people robbing rural areas isnt uncommon up here. I had a service call today . The guy posted had on his gate that stated the premises were under video surveillance and trespassers may be shot. Sorry to hear about your loss. Check local pawn shops.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

~Coxy posted:

I'm not a fan of Stanley and to be honest that slide mechanism doesn't look that brilliant/long-lasting to me. Surely the plastic parts are going to wear and then you have to chuck it out?

I know you said you don't like fold-outs but for anyone else interested I have a strong attachment to my Superknife.
http://www.superknife.com/

That said the website is looking pretty sad these days. Wonder if they went out of business?
Obviously the replacement blades are all the same so you could put them in anything but theirs are way better than Stanley brand ones besides.

The whole thing is metal, I don't think any part of it is plastic. And one knife i've been using over a year. The I lost one on the job site.

So what makes that super knife so good?. The description didnt give much other then " patented hybrid". It kind of looks like the rest of the knifes out there.

The button releases I've found gum up easier, have you had any problem with that?

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

I have to clean my knife once every couple months depending on how much crap i get into it.

I think I have found the ultimate knife but I could see the auto retracting fly wheel clogging with poo poo quickly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fslcHiouAc&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL125639CB4996EDCD

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

The fast back looks pretty cool. I also liked the look of the gerber razor knifes. They are very thin

http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-22-41830-Pocket-Knife-Exchange/dp/B0016KHW2W/ref=pd_cp_hi_4

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

~Coxy posted:

The thumb lock on the slide mechanism looks like that brittle plastic in the pic, if it's not the I retract the statement. :)

Dunno what's so great about the SK2 then if that Stanley is also all-metal. I guess a good design and sentimentality.

I just received my gerber EAB tonight. I think my stanley quick slide is going to be put away. This knife is smaller and thinner and shorter. Hands down I am going to love this knife. Only thing I hate is the blade swap but a screw I can deal with.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

Reporting back on the Gerber EAB. I like it since it doesnt gum up a lot. But I keep having to tighten the screw that lets the knife open so it doesnt have any slop when fully open. Anyone know if they make a tool to tighten a bolt with 2 notches on each side of it?

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

iForge posted:

Depending on how big it is, you may be able to get away with using a 2 prong security screwdriver bit like THIS:

I also recommend that you get yourself some locktite and you shouldnt have to tighten it ever again.

That's awesome. I never realized they made that. I will try to find one at home depot. Would that be in electrical since I know they have a lot of tamper proof screw drivers.

And ya I think you're right on the lock tight. I may have to pick some up.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

Iskariot posted:

I like the look of it. Is there room in the handle to drill a 5mm hole for a carbine hook and still allow the blade to fully close?

No the entire blade takes up the handle space. You could put a keychain loop off of the belt clip and then hang the clip from their though.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

Eli's Adventure posted:

Just use channel locks on it. I do this at work all the time.

That is just as bad as using channel locks on a drill because you don't have a chuck key. If you don't care about scaring the tool itself then go for it but I would rather use the proper tool.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

MrPete posted:

my old man always tells me to turn a fuckup into a feature

He did wonders with you.

No but really its good to hide mistakes but you will always know its their.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

Just purchased my first snow blower. I got a 2 stage snow tek. I used it yesterday to do my driveway with about 7 inches in it. Then i took it to a buddies house in the country and did his 100 foot drive way with ease.

I wish this wasn't just one speed but other then that it handles all the snow like a champ.

http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-O...51#BVRRWidgetID

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

Slugworth posted:

I'm a bit concerned by the fact that they had to use a time-lapse during the ripping portion. Also, this probably speaks to my lack of faith in my ability, but I'd be a lot more interested in that tool if it had some sort of a fence on it.

why not use a table saw its faster. And I wonder how often those blades last and how much they cost.

I know when a co worker did a couple rooms in his house he went through a couple blades with his chop saw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

I just found an awesome nutdriver last night. I bought it today. The problem when you use the multi screw drivers is they strip out if you use them a ton for a nut driver

http://www.klenktools.com/main/products/NutDriversNew.asp#DA86420

This I picked up for at a decent price and I love it so far.

edit: tool specs

4-in-1 POCKET SOCKET®
Replaces the four most common nut drivers with one tough, yet compact, tool.
Telescoping action provides two socket sizes at each end.
High-torque grip has textured, non-slip surface.
Tough, high quality industrial steel construction.

SAE socket sizes are: 1/4", 3/8", 5/16", 7/16.
NOW AVAILABLE IN METRIC!
Socket sizes - 7mm, 8mm, 10mm and 13mm

Turd Herder fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Nov 16, 2012