Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

So, dumb question: can you use a paint brush for quite different things? Like, I'm going to be painting interior walls, but also want to stain a solid wood countertop to turn into a desk. As long as I clean the brush well, could I use it for all of these things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

All great advice, thanks! :tipshat:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Any recs for a studfinder? Not sure how this one got added to my potential tools list, but :shrug: I do have a small, relatively(I think) strong magnet that I used in my last apartment to locate nails, but I don't know anything about an actual like, electrical stud finder.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Motronic posted:

That looks a lot like the electronic display (and therefore probably guts) of the Bosch one I have. It's the only electronic stud finder I've ever found useful. In fact, I don't use my magnetic one anymore because even if it fails to detect wood you flip it over to metal and it does a fine job of finding screws.

:toot: Tight, that's a solid endorsement. I was wondering if the metal mode on it would be useful for finding screws. And, if all else fails, well, I have a magnetic one anyway :shrug:

Actually, uh, strange question, but did anyone purchase the stud finder I linked? Specifically from the link I provided? I went into my the Amazon list it was in, which is set to private, and when I clicked on it to add to my cart, I got a "Someone may have bought this for you" message, which I then confirmed by pressing the "Did someone buy this for me?" button. The only other person I could guess that would have access to that list is my pops, who I just texted but have not gotten a response from.

I'm wondering if this is like.. bad? No other orders have been purchased from my Amazon account, it has a unique password, but this is the first time I've seen this and I definitely did not buy the stud finder (yet). :psyduck:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I wrecked a Philips drill bit today while removing ~100 screws the POs had all over the basement and garage. More than half of the locations of the screws didn't even make any sense!

Borrowed my friend's Ryobi, and I saw his whole stash of different tools from the One+ line... think I'm gonna follow his lead :snoop:

Plus that lime green is an awesome colour!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Motronic posted:

FYI, your life will improve when you realize those are consumables and just buy them in 5 or 10 packs. As soon as they start looking shiny and long before they start camming out just throw it in the trash and put a new one in there.

Yeah, I kinda figured. I have 3/4 more Phillips bits from various sets, just never broken one before! I feel like it's a right of passage :fella:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I haven't started any of my drywall work yet but I got a 3" knife, drywall hawk, and an 18lb bag of mix it yourself compound. They only had the 90 minute at my hardware store but that's probably good cause i have done exactly 0 repair and imagine I'll be slow as gently caress. Need to buy some kind of sanding tool, think I'm gonna go with a pole attachment.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Wish I just had a magical app that would locate my goddamn favourite pair of vice grips! :argh:

They've gotta be somewhere incredibly stupid, like underneath a drawer or something.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

:mad:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

All
Clamps
Are
Beautiful

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Hahaha I'm honoured by the thread title change.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Hey team neon green! Question about the One+ lawnmowers that Ryobi offers, like how powerful are they? I'm in the market for a new lawnmower... and in the past(and the future I'm sure) I have let my lawn get a little overgrown, and am wondering how powerful the One+ models are. Thanks!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

CommonShore posted:

It serves us fine, though we haven't had enough rain this year for our lawn ever to get notably overgrown. We got a sweet package deal for the mower + a chainsaw and we're happy.

Yeah they've got a deal for the mower, a string trimmer, AND another battery/charger combo that I'm heavily eyeing. It goes up to a 4" height so I think I should be fine..

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I actually do have a small and wimpy lawn, lol. POs did heavy landscaping so I really only have a small wedge shaped front, and a few thin strips in the back.

I'm going to borrow a friend's 40v soon to see how well it does then go from there. I'm thinking if I can not be a fuckin sloth about mowing the 18v will do me just fine.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Miter saw question!

So towards the end of September I'm having all my flooring redone. The laminate on the first floor, AND the carpeting on the second floor. All of it! :toot: But what this means is that I'm going to re-do all of our baseboard trim, since it's done extremely poorly, and the flooring installers said that taking it up before they install would be better for future work(and also a bit cheaper on my part). So, I figure I might as well replace all of it cause WOW my POs did this poo poo crosseyed, must've flipped a coin for every measurement to see whether it'd be in metric or imperial, and hadn't worked the work "caulk" into their vocabulary yet. This means that a miter saw will be very much needed.

So my question is, uh, what's a good miter saw for this job? I can see it being used in the future to cut wood to build a chicken coop, cut more molding(chair rail and crown molding), and... I think that's probably it? I've been looking at Ryobi saws cause they're generally the cheapest(and I'm already all-in on team neon green for power tools), but I really don't know what features I should be looking for in a saw. A 10" model seems like it'd be able to do the baseboard handily enough, but is that too small for a future chicken coop project? I remember seeing people upthread awhiiiiiile ago saying that LED lasers aren't necessary, what about a sliding saw? Or sliding versus compound sliding? :psyduck: All I know is I don't really care about a cordless saw, since that jacks the price up significantly and mine will definitely just be.. hanging out in my garage/work area.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Thanks for the miter saw tips, y'all. Any thoughts on sliding/compound/compound sliding?

I don't think I'll need the additional double bevel, but I dunno what the pros/cons of the sliding or compound features are.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Amazing, thanks for all the info y'all! I didn't even know that mitre and bevel were different types of cut! :derp:

I think I'm leaning towards something like this sucker. It comes with a stand too, for very little additional cheddar, so I think it's a pretty good deal.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Danhenge posted:

I have that stand and it works fine, but it is pretty heavy and mildly cumbersome to set up. Also the angle to screw in the bolts to hold the saw are at kind of a weird angle.

Something like the DeWalt wheel stand is much nicer, although perhaps a lot more expensive

Rufio posted:

I have this exact setup and it's serviceable but not great.

The stand kinda sucks. It's heavy and awkward to move around. Also the set screws (or more specifically the threads in the tubing) that hold up the workpiece wings are awful and will fail.

The saw itself is fine as long as you understand that because of the slider it isn't particularly compact. You can't set it all the way against a wall.

For the price though, it's hard to beat.

I think I'm gonna save up some dough for a 12" zero clearance slider. Bosch makes a great looking one but it's like $800. The Delta also looks pretty sweet.

Awesome, thanks for the info! Maybe I'll look into a separate stand, I remember seeing a Husky foldable workbench that seemed decent food around a bill.

I'm not too worried about the saw clearance I don't think, it'll probably stay stored around my (future) workbench and then get set up right in the middle of my garage when I'm going at it. I think the price difference between sliding and non-sliding was pretty negligible, but I'll look into that as well.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Aw dip. I'm not gonna be getting the saw till early October, late September at the earliest, but I'll keep an eye on this sucker

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

sharkytm posted:

The Rigid stand is awesome. Just sayin'

:mad:

Arghhhh!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

gently caress well i guess i need an impact driver now

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

SpartanIvy posted:

Impact driver, drill, and reciprocating saw is the holy Trinity for home ownership

Hmmm I'll respectfully disagree!

Drill, good light source, ladder

Although now I'm wondering - why do you vote for a reciprocating saw?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I'm renovating my house right now, and have pruning sheers for my bushes :shrug: like I'll probably purchase one at some point, but imo a reciprocating saw isn't a day one purchase, that's what I'm considering the holy Trinity, mentioned above

I probably should've cut some of the dumbass nails/screws instead of straining myself to pull them out, but oh well!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I have such a newfound appreciation for toolboxes. My pops brought up a smaller one that I made in 8th grade shop class (lol) and it's been ace while ripping up carpet.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

devmd01 posted:

My father built these for himself as a fresh lieutenant out of West Point and at some point in the last 45+ years they had been shelved. My dad’s wish was that I take any and all tools that I wanted out his substantial workshop, and these were the first on the pile.

I’m saving them for the twin boys for when they are old enough to have and take care of tools. They weren’t old enough to remember grandpa but they can have something to connect them to him.

cakesmith handyman posted:

I've been meaning to make a couple of these for ages now, so simple and useful.

Oh hey, whatup

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Y'all got me considering bidding on this clamp auction and I have 0 projects in the near future that require more clamps!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

canyoneer posted:

buy the clamps

Honestly I really want to but we gotta get our money right first, floor and carpet project just finished and our electrical work is next, neither of which were/are cheap :cry:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Literally A Ghost posted:

A tool related thing. Just finished a new handle for this 100+ year old hammer:

This one is made from holly.

drat that's fuckin gorgeous!

Also a tool related thing: so a homie of mine saved me a bigass workbench top, basically a butcher block. Anyone have any recommended "build your own workbench" plans, guides, etc?

I could figure it out myself (famous last words?) but any advice/recs/guides would be much appreciated!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Literally A Ghost posted:

Here it is, might have to scale it for your table top but this looks like a slick af design:

http://www.eaa1000.av.org/technicl/worktabl/tablefig.htm

Oh fuckin aces, this is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you :swoon:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

wandler20 posted:

I had the same issue as you and bought the 5g Dewalt.

First they put it in our vaccines, and now in our shop-vacs?! WHEN WILL IT END

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I'm buying a HF mechanic's tool cart this weekend; if y'all don't hear from me by Tuesday of next week it somehow caught exploded and that is how I perished.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

FISHMANPET posted:

I'm picking up my Blue HF top chest today that I ordered 4 weeks ago, same.

:hfive:

Their blue is nice but dat green doe :swoon:

I was eyeing their top chests too, actually! But I found this auction site through my employer and got a 5-drawer All American tool chest for $51 :smuggo:

Fairly confident I can work out the two dents in it, and if not, whatever, still works!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

canyoneer posted:

Tools: a whole book about screws and screwdrivers

:hmmyes:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I just hate square screws because my PO used 50% square, then a random assortment of Phillips, flat, and hex screws, literally all over the house

:argh:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

There are so many common tools used in hospitals it's wild

I just finished an autopsy and we used a pair of Grainger needle nosed pliers, the common blue/yellow vice grips, scotch Brite pads, and regular ziplock sandwich bags

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

lil poopendorfer posted:

Autopsies are different, I would assume the tools are disposed of instead of sterilized & autoclaved but after seeing how hospitals handled PPE w COVID, I’m guessing they re-use them

nah you have a lot of reusable tools. orange pruning shears, for example. dunno if those're Caftsman!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

SpartanIvy posted:

*I immediately wake up from anesthesia and grab the surgeons hand holding the Dewalt Flexvolt Bone Scraper*

YOU GOTTA GET YOURSELF THE NEW MILWAUKEE M18 FUEL HEART CATHEDAR IT'S 13% MORE EFFICIENT AND BRUSHLESS AND

*Dies*

"Oh actually doctor, I'm team green. Get that Makita poo poo out of any OR I'm in!"

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Sedgr posted:

De-Whale-t

:perfect:

Went to HD today just to buy some finer grit sandpaper, came out with an impact driver cause it was my colour and 50% off :yum:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

skipdogg posted:

Put a new blade in your box cutter. Blades should be changed often. They're inexpensive and a 10 to 15 dollar box of them should last most of your adult life.

If you really want to rep team yellow you can get their blades and a team yellow utility knife.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-Heavy-Duty-Blades-for-Utility-Knives-75-Pack-DWHT11004/202710456

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Tools-Hand-Tools-Knives-Blades-Knives-Utility-Knives/DEWALT/N-5yc1vZ1z18gf5Z4j2

I'd rec Olfa instead of Dewalt, at least for the handle: https://www.homedepot.com/p/OLFA-25-mm-Utility-Knife-EH-1/206431677

That twist-locking mechanism is :yum:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

FISHMANPET posted:

Take your pick, but they'd probably all be dangerous as hell. Reciprocating saw, circular saw, jig saw, angle grinder, multi tool.

Flamethrower, don't forget flamethrower!

(Please forget the flamethrower)