Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Milwaukee 18V cordless sawzall + their skip-tooth "demo" blade. It's called "the Axe" or something. This combo will cut all the way through 5' tall stacks of pallets all day without dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

My friend just bought a house, and through some trick of financing, got all his earnest money back at closing. So instead of getting all porter-cable power tools, he got Festool.

He now has a Festool track saw, HEPA 3 vacuum, router, cordless drill, and some attachments. They all pack into systainers that clip into the vacuum.

Neat pieces of kit. I hesitate to ask what he spent on it all, but using these tools is amazing. We did some quick dimensioning cuts with the saw then finished to size with the router just as a sanity "do I really not need a table saw and jointer now?"

No dust anywhere, and the wood pieces have a near sucking fit. Amazing what good tools can do for careful craftsmen. I would have no problem building cabinets in my living room with this setup and not worrying about mess.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Iskariot posted:

I like the concept with the new ratchets but I have no personal experience. It seems like clever development.

However! The set liked means I can't use my impact driver with the sockets, nor can I use other brand sockets with the ratchet. It could be handled by a converter bit/socket thing for the ratchet, I guess and perhaps a special socket for 1/2" square but it's cumbersome.

I have personal experience, and this post is spot on. There are converters to 3/8, 1/4, 1/2 drive, but they're spotty.

These ratchets really shine for making trapezes out of all-thread, and not a lot else, really. If you don't know what an all-thread trapeze is, you probably don't need a through-head ratchet all that much.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Reggie Died posted:

This is a little off topic, but...;

I have a Ryobi mitre saw stand (best stand $75 can buy IMHO), but it's at a job site with my Dewalt chop saw. I went to the Ryobi website to make sure it would work with my new Makita, and ran across this picture.

http://www.ryobitools.com/product_image/image_url/1363/large/A18MS01_4_Final.jpg

That tray idea is brilliant!, but I have no idea how it's attached to the stand. Those tubes are hollow, and the legs wouldn't fold down completely if it was attached permanently, so I doubt it's screwed or glued. Any ideas?

Magnets. Unless they're aluminum tubes.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

mugrim posted:

How's that poo poo work?

-----------------------------

Anyone ever had an issue with a harbor freight hand tools? I know the power tools are typically something to avoid, but their hand tools are serviceable? I've only bought a couple of scerw drivers and a razor knife from them. The screwdrivers were screwdrivers and the knife was the best I've ever used.

I have a chain wrench that I accidentally let someone use as a tire iron for taking the tire off the rim of a work truck. No damage, and it's still straight. Their chain wrenches rock.

I broke a set of their side-cutting lineman's pliers after about 40 minutes of cutting #2 bare copper wire. Hinge snapped. Replaced them, and broke the second set less than an hour later. Junk. I hear equally bad things about their pipe pliers, diagonal-cutting pliers, and needle-nose pliers.

Screwdrivers are screwdrivers, but I've broken a fair pile of their flathead screwdrivers using them as chisels; not chipped the tips, but broken at the shank where it meets the handle. I've also stripped the tips off a set of their #2 philips screwdrivers.

In short, no more harbor freight hand tools, except chain wrenches.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

The carpenter at my current jobsite abuses the everloving crap out of that precise Bosch set. 1 1/4" forstner bits into 2x4s for mortising door locks, for four to six hours every day. He loves it, and only recently got a third battery, since the laborer has been stealing the drill for paint busting with a wire cup. Yup, he's using the driver for 1 1/4" drilling, and does it for nearly a full work day on one battery.

That being said, all of his other power tools are Bosch. Contractor's saw, chop saw, circular saw, reciprocating saw, hammer drill, corded drill, laser, laser level, other laser, and rotating laser. You'd think the Bosch rep buys him vacations at this point.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

stubblyhead posted:

I'd like to get one of those bladed head replacements for my string trimmer. I have an electric though, and the ones I've seen say they'll work with most gas trimmers. Is it ok to use these with an electric, or is there a model that is?

I used a Grass Gator in a Ryobi electric. It worked fine until it stripped the square drive in the motor section of the ez-link coupling. That was quite annoying to replace. The motor had the torque for it, and it didn't seem to overheat, but the drive shaft wasn't up to it. The trimmer head itself had been mounted on a Troy-bilt gas trimmer that I was using at the same time with a tiller attachment.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Their chain wrenches are also badass.

However, I snapped the handle off of some wire cutters, then needle-nose pliers, then lineman's pliers in about an hour or so. Just cutting 12/3 romex, and the handle broke on all three just below the joint. I've also broken their slip-joint pliers on the jaw side of the lower jaw next to the joint. Their metal is either really brittle, or I'm just some kind of beast with vise-like hands.

I've never broken any of the Craftsman, Klein, Ideal, Kobalt, or Husky equivalents, though, doing the same kind of work.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

iForge posted:

Bosch sells one for $399.99 that should fit the bill just fine, and they have a thing right now that if you spend over $400, you get 20% of your total purchase price in free accessories/bits. Probably gonna do that and buy one cheap bit to put me over the $400 mark.

Hopefully not too late, but the HF hammer drill we had vomited its gearbox after about two hours of drilling 3/4" holes in a 6" concrete slab. The replacement did the same, as did its replacement. That time, we returned the thing entirely and got a Bosch, and it worked great all the way up to 2" dry core bits for a few years until it got left in the back of the truck and submerged for about a week. Now it makes a funny noise, but works just fine.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

ShadowStalker posted:

Anybody have the festool track saw? I'm looking at adding one to my arsenal.

I know a guy who does. IT's totally badass. He made several sets of shelves, cabinets, and tables with it before getting a table saw.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

angryrobots posted:

No idea if my experience is typical, but I have used the absolute crap out of my HF Portland for like 3 years, and it goes on sale for $80.

From reading reviews, it's really important to fully bleed the pump. I usually hook up the water (no power yet), lock the trigger and let it run for 5 minutes or so. It takes a while to work all the air out, and those pumps really don't like to hit a bubble. Oh yeah, and bleed the water hose best you can before hooking that up as well.

Add a second anecdote-point to this. I have had the same HF Portland for three years and my experience matches. I even left mine outside all winter without draining it and it doesn't seem to have broken.

Works great for washing cars and decks. Not so great on siding. Takes a very long time on sidewalks; would not recommend except for blasting the weeds and grass out of the cracks.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Let's swing this back to liquid metals, please?

Verman posted:

Thankfully all my years of shop class and what not I never saw a kid chop off a finger or anything too severe. In our foundry section of shop class, my cast pouring partner hosed up and dropped the crucible of molten aluminum on the floor. That was cool watching liquid aluminum move across the floor lighting everything on fire but also super sketchy since I had to jump up onto a table to not get burned.

I was helping someone pour silver; I was holding the mold and they the crucible. I saw the glowing silver filling up the little pool at the top and said "full." They kept pouring. I tried to keep it level, but a drop rolled off the top and fell directly onto their shoe. They pulled their foot away and there was a shiny spot of steaming silver on the concrete floor.

Shucked the shoe off, and there's a hole through the top, through the sock, through the foot. They went to the hospital, who said "didn't hit any bones or anything; keep it dressed and let us know if it gets infected. Healed up just fine with a neat-looking scar.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Motronic posted:

If you think their miter saws are scary let me tell you about all of the HF angle grinders I've got!

(honestly they're pretty drat good.....amazing for the price. But like all HF stuff you have to take it apart as soon as you take it out of the box and complete assembly/repair it. I've got one HF grinder that lasted over 10 years. For the grinders specifically you need to crack them open and remove the chinese gutter honey they put in there where the grease should go. While you're doing that you clean out all of the casting swarf and other metal bits that were going to trash the drivetrain. And then put in some decent grease. Re-assemble and cross your fingers. If it makes it 30 minutes it will probably make it for a real long time.

I munged two angle grinders from HF; third one's a beast. I did this song-and-dance on all three, and I 100% agree. I only paid for one grinder (minus the half-ish hour for the rebuild and two trips to the store). It's been going for ten years now: I'm actually on my second set of brushes.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Motronic posted:

Good ones are also made out of a LOT of metal with high quality drawer slides that will hand the weight of the tools they are used to hold. Then you get into tool truck brands where they cost a million dollars because tool trucks don't actually sell tools and boxes, they sell financing. Stay away from those.

HF does seem to be some of the best value right now.

Get a HF toolbox. Assemble. If you're missing parts or it's bent or something (or the caster is locked solid), just drop it off on their porch and they'll hand you a new one. Do this at most twice and you'll have a high-quality product. The hassle is the price for you doing their QC.

Once that's done, clean the slides meticulously with good degreaser and put real grease in them. I did the above steps and have gotten a decade out of my lists-for-$100-but-I-paid-$45-with-coupons 3-drawer. Actual use in a real mechanic's shop full of snap-on and mac and matco stuff, with the tool trucks showing up weekly.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I found a pair of channel-lock 426 pliers on a job way back in 2006. They were a bit rusty, so I sprayed them with WD-40 and then proceeded to use them pretty much every working day for five years, then "frequently" after that.

Last week, I was attempting to remove some stainless steel fittings that someone had done something stupid to and broke the pliers. Pieces came off of the grooves on both pieces of the plier. I was pretty surprised. I put them in a box and mailed them to ChannelLock. Yesterday, I received a brand new pair of 426 pliers by UPS.

They're good tools, and the warranty really works! Here's hoping that 2021 metallurgy and build quality is comparable to that of the mid-2000s; I'll get another pair sometime in the 2050s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

DoubleT2172 posted:

I got a metal edger and HATE IT because all my edges are next to concrete, and my sprinkler heads are touching the concrete, and that thing does not like concrete and will easily chew threw the top of the sprinklers. I don't know what i was expecting but i majorly regret buying it

Get the nylon blade for the edger.