Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I was given a bunch of used tools from a buddy about six years ago that included I think this Porter pancake air compressor. In all that time I turned it on once to air up a tire (after which I turned it off and did zero maintenance).

I’m doing some framing (2 walls in a garage) and don’t have much use for a nail gun otherwise so I bought a cheap air framing nailer from harbor freight (21 degree Banks). Reading the manual on my air compressor I see that it should’ve been emptied after use. I fired it up and it seems to work. Draining it after and opening the water valve no water came out. There’s no visible rust. Seem like this thing is safe to use?

Though it is by far the loudest goddamn thing in my garage. Way louder than my table saw. Even with ear protection it’s going to give me a headache. I dunno if neglect has made it louder or it’s just the nature of the cheap thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

my watch claims it was 109db but I dunno how accurate the watch is. It’s definitely in the vicinity of rock concert loud

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I randomly replaced my hand me down old Ryobi 7” circular saw with a mighty Dewalt 60v cordless 7” that caught my eye in the store for something else. It’s absurd how much quieter it is than the old saw. The noise went from a loud clanging whining death saw to what sounds like a vacuum until it starts cutting. The brake also seems like a handy safety feature. It cuts incredibly easily. Hurrah

However, the cheapest battery they had (6ah) runs out really fast. It needs the fancier 60v batteries and two hundred dollar batteries are pretty painful (the tool itself was that much). Are any of the knock off batteries any good?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Motronic posted:

I have yet to find any knock off battery that stands up to OEM batteries. Some appear to at first and then fail quickly.

The tool companies sell batteries now, in the razor blade model. All but give away the handles (tools) and sell the blades (batteries). The OEM batteries are generally a good value for what you get and a known quantity. The aftermarket is a crapshoot of everything from ill-fitting plastics, missing thermal overload protection (so they can catch on fire on your charger or tool) and inferior cells, some of them outright used cells inside shiny new plastics. The best you can do is to wait for sales and stock up on batteries that way. Some of those sales are bundles with tools you already have, which is why there are so many inexpensive brand new bare tools on ebay.

That's a shame. When I upselled myself to a cordless it turns out the just $50 difference between the cordless and corded circular saws was an expensive $50. Oh well, it is an incredibly nice saw. When I first used it I didn't realize I had forgotten my earing protection it is so quiet. Just like upgrading the air compressor my future hearing / lack of headaches makes it worthwhile by itself.

tracecomplete posted:

You can now get 60dB 2-gallon oil-free compressors for under $200. Harbor Freight sells one under Fortress, and I have that one (selling off the metric standard Ridgid pancake that clocked in north of 100dB). The same base model is sold by Metabo HPT, Kobalt, California Air Tools, and a few others.

You should still wear ear pro because air nailers and air tools are loud, but the compressor won't terrorize your family. It's small so it cycles a lot more than my old 5-gallon one, but I can't hear when it turns on under my muffs.

Between that and the Festool CT Midi I got recently, I have started just forgetting to turn the vac and the compressor off sometimes because I can't hear either one while working.

Yeah, I bought the 2 gallon air fortress from HF that was on sale and it was very much worth it both for myself and not terrorizing the neighborhood with my ungodly loud old air compressor. I did have to buy in on the HF membership thing to get the sale price which will lead me to inevitably buy too much crap this year as I tell myself I need to take advantage of the membership while I have it.