Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

As Black Friday approaches, I figure it's a good time to ask for recommendations for brands/pieces to build my own tool set for home repairs and what not. Thus far, I've scraped by on a set left by my parents about 15 years ago, so it's about time to start fresh.

Since I'm making such a newbie request, should I get a 40-piece starter kid thingy or just buy separate pieces from Home Depot as I need them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

ibpooks posted:

My first power tool recommendation is a lithium-ion cordless drill. It doesn't have to be top of line or anything, but that tool will get more use around the house than any other. Add to that a drill bit index of common sizes and a set or two of various Phillips, square, hex, star tips for driving screws and bolts. Get some extra #2 Phillips bits because those are by far the most common.
What do you think about this? Black & Decker 20V Li-Ion drill + bits for $60 on Black Friday? http://bfads.net/Walmart-Black-Friday-Black-Decker-20V-LithiumIon-Drill-w-Bonus-100-Accessories-and-Carry-Case

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

ibpooks posted:

Josh Lyman posted:

As Black Friday approaches, I figure it's a good time to ask for recommendations for brands/pieces to build my own tool set for home repairs and what not. Thus far, I've scraped by on a set left by my parents about 15 years ago, so it's about time to start fresh.
My first power tool recommendation is a lithium-ion cordless drill. It doesn't have to be top of line or anything, but that tool will get more use around the house than any other. Add to that a drill bit index of common sizes and a set or two of various Phillips, square, hex, star tips for driving screws and bolts. Get some extra #2 Phillips bits because those are by far the most common.

For hand tools, I'd go with a standard claw hammer, a rubber mallet, a 6 piece screwdriver set, and a crosscut saw -- probably $30 for the lot at a home depot sale. Next would be a socket/ratchet set ideally with SAE and metric sockets. A decent kit would be rounded out with a pair of sliding pliers (Channellocks), adjustable wrench (Cresent), needle nose, and side-cutters or linesman dykes.

If you're not good at finding studs using your knuckle, get a stud finder that also has a wiring detector.
Alright, now that everyone's Black Friday ads are out except for Home Depot's, I was thinking of using these for my starter tool box:

This seems like a great deal. However, my roommate has a cordless drill, so while it makes sense to buy hand tools when they're on sale because they don't get cheaper/better, it might make sense to wait on the drill until I move out.

Keter 19" tool box w/tray - $9

Home Depot 16 oz hammer - $6

Harbor Freight 26 pc ratcheting screwdriver set - $10
Also debating these and these

Home Depot Folding lock back utility knife - $8 It seems like this is safer than the typical sliding box cutters that I'm used to.

Home Depot pliers set: adjustable, needlenose, linesman dyke, side cutter, and sliding - $15

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Nov 16, 2011

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Ahz posted:

Everything there looks good for starter tools except the ratcheting screwdriver and the drill. The screwdriver will fall apart and lose its ratcheting action in no time
If we're going to put the kibosh on a ratcheting screwdriver kit, my friend has one of these and I'd like to get one myself, if only there were more bits:

$7.50 at Target. It's like they're precision screwdrivers, but you can plug them into the handle for additional torque in more standard applications.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 16, 2011

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

With respect to not buying a ratcheting screwdriver set, shouldn't I buy a set of screwdriver tools in some form so that I'll have random torx bits should I ever need them? Or was my original idea okay and I just need to avoid the ratcheting part?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Error 404 NpH posted:

That set is horrible and a complete waste of $15. The adjustable may be ok, but the pliers are all junk. When you go to squeeze something hard with them the handle grips slip and dont provide much leverage at all.

Shell out the 39.96 and get a real set from channelock

Channellock Ultimate Pliers Set 4-Piece
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100190542/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

No adjustable wrench, but you can get a cheap one of those that'll make due.
I realize Harbor Freight != quality, but if the handles are an issue, maybe I should consider these for $10?

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-piece-pliers-set-38082.html

In a related question, I picked up a 19" Stanley toolbox from Target and it seems alright for $10, but it's not big enough to hold a cordless drill. Should I expect power tools to be kept in their own molded plastic containers?

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 20, 2011

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

stubblyhead posted:

Most of them do come with a carrying case of some kind, so I'd just use that. Harbor freight's hands tools are ok I guess, no worse than the bargain brand at Lowe's anyway. I would be wary of anything from there that plugs in though.
Yeah, if I was going to pick something up from Harbor Freight, it was only going to be hand tools. And so far it only looks like that pliers set.

As for a "cheap screwdriver set with an assortment of bits that won't replace proper screwdrivers", I found this at Home Depot. Slotted, philips, torx and square for $20 with a storage system for bits on the go? :swoon:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202397605/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Iskariot posted:

"Made in China" doesn't mean it's typical Chinese no-name bullshit. Almost every tool manufacturer makes stuff in China and the ones that don't probably buy a lot of parts from China. Chinese companies makes things according to specs and can do so as well as a high-end German company if you hand over enough money.

That said I try to stay clear of HF-type tools as they usually break or are inaccurate. Even if I could buy five or ten no-name Chinese pliers for the price of a quality German one, I usually get the latter. If nothing else, it won't break on me when I need it and I don't have to contribute to the massive pollution due to cheap manufacturing.

If you get no-name poo poo, get stuff with warranty. If it breaks, return it. This makes the product more expensive for the store and they may discontinue the bullshit tools. This may in turn lead to more quality tools being sold and prices drop from quantity production. Better tools at lower price.

/end rant
Speaking of Made in China...

When I was in Sam's Club earlier today, I saw this Channellock magnetic screwdriver set for $20:

Alas, the version that Amazon is selling has a review extremely upset about the fact they're made in China.

Conversely, Home Depot has a box of screwdrivers, Made in the USA, for $10 locally, but non-magnetic.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I know Milwaukee is considered one of the best power tool brands along with DeWalt, but what about their bits? I noticed that there weren't many DeWalt sets at Home Depot, but they had a 40 pc drive guide set "worth $55" for $10 (caveat: Made in China). I wonder if I should hold out for a larger set that includes drilling bits as well.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

In terms of pliers, does the essential basic toolbox include needle-nose, linesman, tongue and groove, and monkey? And a vise grip for good measure.

It seems diagonal pliers aren't necessary with linesman, and a slip joint is covered by tongue and groove + linesman.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Crotch Fruit posted:

Lineman's pliers can't cut up close to something, like I particularly like to use diagonal cutters to snip zip ties off packages (hard on scissors). Tongue and groove or channel lock could replace slip joint, but they are a lot bigger, heavier and more expensive. Actually, I am not really sure what channel locks are good for. I mean I'm sure they are good at grabbing pipe (which I rarely do), but I use slip joint pliers to either pinch items or hold small nuts and bolts, for anything a slip joint can't handle I would prefer a wrench instead of channel locks.

SkunkDuster posted:

If I had to make a choice, I would go with a slip joint instead of a linesman. Linesman pliers have poo poo for grip on bolts and nuts and there are a lot of times when you need to get at one and don't have room to get in there with a T&G/arc joint/channel lock pliers. Get a diagonal cutter for general snipping and a small bolt cutter for more serious chomping.

If you are working on cars, a long-reach pliers is a godsend for getting into areas that are too small to get your hand into. Out of curiosity, where are you from? I've never heard the term "tongue and groove" to describe that type of pliers.

asdf32 posted:

Basically yes. I'd include right angle needle nose instead of regular needle nose.

For the tongue and groove I have these milwaukee ones which have a nicer locking mechanism.

Vice grip are key if you're working alone and need a second hand on a bolt or something. The long nose ones may be more versitile:

Tekton right angle from amazon:

I ended up getting these for $15 http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-4-Piece-Pliers-Set-with-Bonus-8-in-Wrench-7019/205145008 for the needle nose, slip joint, and diagonal cutter; I already have channel locks.

I also go these for $5 http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-Locking-Pliers-Set-2-Piece-96892/204406262 since cheapest long nose alternative is a single Husky pliers for $9.

$20 to cover all my bases seems decent.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I don't have a socket set, and I figure I should probably get one with Black Friday sales coming up. Does it matter if I get a metric or SAE? I have a Toyota 4Runner, for what that's worth.

Maybe something like these?
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-10-pc-6-pt-3-8-in-standard/p-00934553000P
and
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-11-pc-6-pt-metric-socket-1-4/p-00934861000P

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Nov 18, 2015

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

MRC48B posted:

If your car is of "import" manufacture or made more recently, you need a metric set. That said, I would get a 3/8ths drive set, not 1/4".

If you want something from sears, this one might serve you.

If you have a Harbor Freight Tools store near you, there sockets and ratchets are quite good for the price point as well.
It doesn't necessarily have to be from Sears - there's a Home Depot and Lowe's that are closer - but I figured Craftsman is a safe choice?

I do have a Harbor Freight about 25 min away.

Do I want a proper ratchet + socket set or would something like this be good? http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3175856

Oh man, this rotating ratchet looks so cool: http://www.sears.com/craftsman-3-8-inch-drive-mach-series-ratchet/p-00944578000P

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 18, 2015

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Falco posted:

Since you added in the information about your car, I'm assuming you want the tools to do some basic work to your car. If that's the case, I would definitely look into a bit more of a comprehensive tool set than the basic 10 piece type sets. You'll be thankful later that you have a full set and aren't constantly running out to pick up new tools for each job. A good socket set is essential for any auto repair.

Sears has some great "mechanic's tool" sets in their black friday ad. There's one for $45 that is a 108pc set that I would considered the minimum to get if I were starting out. If you're willing to spend quite a bit more, the $150 263pc mechanic's set is fantastic, and I have multiple friends that swear by it. Granted, that's a a hell of a lot more than the $20 you were originally looking at spending, and may be way more than you need.
Yeah, my 4Runner is a '97, so the need for repairs is likely to get worse.

I could probably swing the $45 for that 108 piece set, but I'm definitely not eager enough for the $150 set. Here's the 108 piece set if anyone else wants to provide feedback: http://www.sears.com/craftsman-108-pc-mechanics-tools-set/p-00938108000P

And for good measure, here's the 263 piece set: http://www.sears.com/craftsman-263-pc-mechanics-tool-set/p-00940263000P

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Nov 18, 2015

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

wormil posted:

Unfortunately Craftsman no longer means lifetime replacement. I think it depends on the type of tool. I took in a 30 year old Craftsman stapler and they told me they no longer warranty staplers for life but gave me a "courtesy" replacement.
What the hell. I might as well get Home Depot brand then.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Is something like this actually useful, where you can just pump the handle to drive the ratchet? http://www.sears.com/craftsman-3-8-inch-drive-mach-series-ratchet/p-00944578000P

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I wanted to get a 25' tape measure and ended up getting a 26'/8m Stanley LeverLock because some inane part of me thinks I might need metric someday.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

How does a platform truck cost $65 even at Walmart? It's literally a 36"x24" piece of steel, 4 wheels, and a handle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I've had this 19" Stanley toolbox for many years. It's a little small but has served me well. Recently, the retention clip for one of the lid comparments broke, so I figured it might be a good time to replace it and also reevaluate which unnecessary tools I can throw out. Although, I guess as long as I have space, I don't need to dispose of anything just yet.

Should I just get this 24" Husky? https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-24-in-Hand-Tool-Box-in-Black-THD2015-05A/206116314 It might have enough room to store a drill/impact hammer when I eventually get one. I'd also need an organizer of some kind to replace the lid compartments:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Apr 25, 2024