Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009

Jihad Me At Hello posted:

Think this is gonna be the best tool bag I'll have owned. Picked it up at a local HVAC supply house after reading reviews online. I've used many styles of bags over the years but need something that organizes and protects. It was $140 after tax but you can't beat a 5 year warranty. It's the Veto Pro Pac XL. Build quality is very nice even though it's made in China. Here's some pictures with my most commonly used hand tools.

Personal image hosting.

I have had this bag for a few years. It holds up, very well made. my problem with it, and it is my problem, is that it just cries "I CAN HOLD MORE TOOLS, PUT THEM IN!" and you have a 60+ pound bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009

Iskariot posted:

Wera makes some of the best bits and screwdrivers you can get. I keep a bit set of their strongest type in my "work pants" at all time.

The laser etched tip is like a slight serration running across the tip. When you apply force to the driver, it really bites into the screw.

Personally I find Wera much nicer than Stanley FatMax, Bacho and other brands. Costly stuff though.

You see the tip a bit better here: http://www.amazon.com/WERA-Screwdriver-Piece-Set-Laser/dp/B0039ZIQZY/ref=pd_sbs_indust_8

I have had a Zyklop ratchet for a while now, I wish I would have sprung for the set. It's very nice and solid.

Repeat after me: "I already have one of those".

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009
This discussion got me off my rear end to buy the Milwaukee m12 impact, I have the m12 Hackzall and was surprised how good it is. Bonus: Home Depot had a free battery with purchase deal too. On all the Milwaukee Red Lithium.

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009
I cut plastic(though, softer than a water bottle) all the time with a regular circular saw blade. A regular fine toothed plywood blade should work well. I replaced my old one with a carbide tipped Diablo, the advantage to that is not so much the carbide but the tips cut a kerf wider than the blade disc and doesn't drag against and melt the plastic.

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009
http://www.stabila.com/main.taf?p=1,1,8,1
Just bought this pocket level, arriving tomorrow. I don't need another level but something about it just made me :neckbeard:

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009

dyne posted:

Does anyone have any experience with digital levels? My $8 task force level recently bit the dust from an 8' fall, and I think it's about time for me to buy a level that is actually accurate. I've had a few cheapie ones and they've always been off by a degree or two, causing much frustration with projects. I'm wondering if digital levels are worth it, primarily so I don't have to adjust to look perpendicularly at the bubble to get a reading, and I think it'd be nice if it beeped when level so I don't even have to look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI3GYH_UT2I&list=UUt89le-Td1s2cOty4h8vxxQ
If you haven't already seen it... This Stabila video is pretty convincing. Though pricey.

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009

stubblyhead posted:

A quick question about Dewalt batteries. I understand that older tools that were designed for NiCad can use the newer Li-Ion batteries. I have an old cordless drill, the DC727. The batteries it came with have long since bit the dust, and the replacements I got are rapidly going the same way. This drill uses a 12V battery, but the only 12v Li-Ion I see (http://www.dewalt.com/tools/cordless-batteries-dcb120.aspx) uses a totally different form factor than the 12V NiCad. Am I out of luck for using LiIon batteries with this drill?

Looks like you are SOL from what I see. But think about this, even if you were able to upgrade to Li-Ion. Assuming a Li-ion battery existed, a new charger would be needed I bet. So ~$30 and change each battery and and a charger would get you to around 100 bucks if you get 2 batteries. Buying a new 12V setup with 2 Li-Ion batteries is ~$130. Personally I would work with what you have and then replace the whole shebang when the batteries go. The next gen drills are on the horizon, brushless motors. So hold off to see what the price points on those will be. Milwaukee has some(Milwaukee Fuel) shipping in January. Also the current gen may get cheaper...

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009
I just picked up the new Dremel Saw-Max. So far so good but I am only cutting plastic with it. http://www.adc.com/Americas/en_US/Product/1270708869522/1270708944034
I don't have dust collection for it, probably won't bother. The only negative is the swarf, the multi purpose blade is carbide grit, it spews sand like chips. Eyepro isn't optional.

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009
A new HF opened, 5 minutes from my house... My first trip was yesterday. The store is only a few days open and it hasn't gotten the Harbor Freight smell yet.

I picked up a tool case for my Milwaukee impact so I can carry all the bits and sockets, extensions, extra batteries etc that the provided case has little or no room for. Oh and some lube for my Skil saw and a new set of wire pulling sticks. Some Deep impact sockets, and a tiny S-Biner.

I needed none of this, really.

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009
I have been using a Dremel Saw Max for cutting plastic. Fiber optics cable management(runway). You still get sprayed with plastic dust the size of fine sand but it cuts really nice.You can get a dust management thing so you can attach a vacuum though. No idea how well that works. Used it(the saw) quite a bit at this point. It has been good to me.

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009
https://www.amazon.com/Greenlee-DTA...enlee+drill+tap

I have been using these Greenlee drill/tap bits for a couple years or so now. I use them most often chasing threads in network racks. There are hundreds in our network that were rusty when they were painted and the paint is in all the wrong places... They do work well for drilling and tapping a new hole in thinner material. I drive them with my Milwaukee 18V Fuel Impact. Broken a couple of the 12/24s but driving a tap with an impact comes with risks... They do fine and I recommend them highly.

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009

CharlieWhiskey posted:

I like to keep one of these in each car:
http://www.amzn.com/B00009OYGZ/

I think I stumbled across it in this thread!

Yes to this but not at Amazon, shows 15 bucks for me. I got mine a month or so ago at Walmart for 9 and change.

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009
Late to the connector bitch session but LMR240 is finicky. I had tons of trouble with it until I figured out if you are using Times brand cable, you better be using Times brand connectors. Commscope cable: Commscope connectors. LMR400 you can mix and match brands with no issues.

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009
My go to stripping crimping combo is the Klein 2005N. Strips nice and the crimper is where the leverage is best. Which matters if you are crimping a lot.

https://www.kleintools.com/catalog/combination-cutting-tools/forged-steel-wire-crimper-cutter-stripper

if you're working with Smaller size wire and have less space to work. These Snap-on are just the ticket, Neiko makes some just like it but aren't as nice to use, stiff from the get go, and a little squishy when crimping.

https://shop.snapon.com/product/Wire-Strippers-Cutters%2FCrimpers/7%22-Wire-Stripper-Cutter%2FCrimper-(12-20-AWG)%2C-Red/PWCS7ACF

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009
Something you will use more than you thought, Milwaukee right angle die grinder. Particularly doing conduit and strut work. Quick deburring. Roloc Scotch Brite and Abrasive flap wheels will do a lot of work on this when an big angle grinder is a bit much to tote around.
https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Metalworking/Grinders/2485-20

Bogatyr fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jan 4, 2022

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Got it, thanks! I saw a neighbor using a battery-powered washer that took batteries from whichever ecosystem they'd bought into, I forget. I can't imagine that would fare better than a 120V/12A power supply.

Of the reviews I've seen, the battery powered pressure washers aren't going to do real pressure washing as "pressure washing" implies... They look like their use case is where you don't have water pressure handy. The ones I saw can pull from a bucket and provide a bit better than typical hose pressure.

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009
Worked with a guy years ago that was complaining that his little generator was broken. Tiniest generator ever, like a weed wacker engine, 800 watts or something. When he tried to use it to power his 1100 watt heat gun it stalled the motor almost instantly. There was an audience when he was explaining his woes at his tailgate and demonstrating. There was a bit of silence before someone piped up and explained it to him.

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009
Ryobichat: I've used a coworker's compact bandsaw. I can't speak to it's longevity but it's nice to use, handles in the right spot for one handed operation. I have the 12v Milwaukee Fuel compact bandsaw and i'd compare it favorably. I like the Ryobi better than the old Milwaukee 12v compact bandsaw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009

Mr. Mambold posted:

Smallest generator ever only powers tiniest violin playing saddest tune

It was around 99/2000 and outside of some lighting. I can't think of what use it would have been in a construction situation.The smallest power tool would have been a Milwaukee drill motor. It would have choked on that as well.

I could see a use now for charging tool batteries.