Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tworavens
Oct 5, 2009

GEMorris posted:

Nice, that's a good saw and you saved $120. Heavy, but what worm drive isn't?

'Heavy is good, Heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work you can always hit him with it.'

I'm looking to buy a cheap battery operated drill. I saw this at Harbor Freight: http://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/drills/18-volt-1-2-half-inch-magnesium-drill-driver-kit-65930.html

Anyone have one? I'm not going to be building houses with it right now, I'm a student and will be using it for class projects and mock-ups. But later this year I might be working again. I don't want to buy it if its going to crap out in three months, and I'd be willing to spend about $100 for something that is really good. I'm studying to be an electrician btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tworavens
Oct 5, 2009
I have the Milwaukee, and a guy in my class has the Bosch. They are both great. I think the Bosch is somewhat nicer, but neither of us have had any trouble with them at all. I'm pretty sure that the Makita is the same drill as the Milwaukee but just with different plastic molding on it.

tworavens
Oct 5, 2009
Went down to my local hardware store to get some drill bits today ended up buying a Bosch 37618 18v drill/driver! They had some Bosch promotion where they are selling all the Bosch cordless tools with a $50-$100 rebate depending on the tool. I got $100 off the normally $258 drill.

I'm really happy with this thing so far. The build is excellent, nice fit and finish. Feels good in my hands. The chuck seems to be excellent quality, it clamps down nice on bits and then locks so the bits don't come loose. The trigger is smooth and I can hold the speed I want very easily. It came with two high capacity lithium ion battery packs a charger and a case.

The only thing I don't like is the bit holder on the side is flaky. It barely holds the bits on, thats okay though. I don't really use that kind of thing, but it would be nice to be able to rely on it if I did want to use it.

So far so good. It seems I found a really excellent cordless tool for a good price. Anyone looking at buying some cordless tools should check there local hardware store, apparently the rebate is in store only. I'm going to help my cousin build a fence this weekend or sometime next week so I'll post a more comprehensive review then.

tworavens
Oct 5, 2009
I got some of these Wera Insulated screwdrivers:
http://www.amazon.com/Wera-Stainless-Insulated-Professional-Screwdriver/dp/B00359FAYE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1302240088&sr=8-2

Very nice. I like the laser etched tips, they do actually grip the screws better. So far they are at least as good as Klein insulated screwdrivers, and they don't cost $200+ for a set. The weird looking grips actually do feel better in my hands. I've been upgrading to insulated tools lately to reduce the chances that I burn my eyebrows off shorting something in a panel.

Wera also makes an 'economical' set for $25 which is a pretty good deal I think.

tworavens
Oct 5, 2009

Iskariot posted:

Excuse the double post. New topic.

Bosch really seems to be hunting Milwaukees 12V line:

http://www.toolstop.co.uk/bosch-gsa10.8v-lin-10.8v-li-ion-cordless-sabre-saw-body-only-p15156
http://www.toolstop.co.uk/bosch-gos10.8v-lin-10.8v-li-ion-cordless-inspection-camera-1-battery-p15159

From what I've gathered, the various 10.8 and 12V lines are basically the same. Lines marked as 12V are measured when the battery is at the peak while 10.8 is the mean voltage over a full charge. I like the latter notation better but I'm betting some marketing people had their hand in this.

A lot of contractors, electricians and DIYers are praising the smaller line, especially Bosch, as the tools are small, handy and packs a punch. My brother got a Bosch Monster pack for Christmas and they really are nifty. I still swear by my 18V Makitas as they are light for 18V-ers and I don't screw enough (terrible) to warrant a whole new line of tools. These professionals claim that the 10.8V-ers can do most of the jobs and they keep 36V-ers for the really heavy stuff.

A Bosch monster pack (drill, impact driver, torch, angle driver) set you back around $600 in Norway so you should get plenty of good tools for a nice sum in 'merica.

I love my new Bosch 18v drill. The thing is a tank. I also love my little Milwaukee 12v. Its pretty powerful, and works well for driving medium screws into wood. Its a really nice thing to have for electrical work. I'm not sure I would use it all day everyday at a job site though.

tworavens
Oct 5, 2009
Get a cheap harbor freight one. They are good enough for occasional home use. I agree with getting a battery powered one. If you aren't doing any heavy work they are so much handier, and you can just leave the charger plugged in all the time.

tworavens
Oct 5, 2009

dwoloz posted:

Mid century power tools look amazing too. Ive thought about buying some before but metal housing without a ground seems like a terrible idea

Just get a gfci extension cord and use it whenever there isn't a gfci available. Then you will have even better protection then a grounding prong would give you.

tworavens
Oct 5, 2009
Got myself a Hakko Fx-888 soldering station today, spent about two hours in the garage trying it out, soldering up some things. I have to say its very nice. Brought itself up to temp so quickly I thought something was wrong with it. I don't really care for the color so much, looks like some old school nerf gun. But it works really well, and doesn't take up much desk space.

Its a huge step up from a radioshack soldering iron, and it has equal build quality and faster warm up time compared to the Weller stations I've used at school.

It cost me about $100 after tax and shipping.

It came with a nice screwdriver style tip, a bit of brass cleaning wool, and a nice cleaning sponge in addition to the stand and base.

tworavens
Oct 5, 2009
My uncle cut his finger off with a table saw. I'm getting one of these if I'm ever in the market for a new table saw. I think this guys system is better then the whirlwind system. I like it because it shuts the saw down so quickly it has little chance to hurt you.

As for him lobbying for it, who the heck is supposed to get these systems implemented? Good thing too, this system is stupidly simple and capacitance sensing has been used for decades. It should have been implemented in 1995. Just shows how little the major tool companies are innovating.

tworavens
Oct 5, 2009
Well, its not like it will drip all over the place. But creosote is toxic. Probably a good idea to use some other treated wood if you are going to have dogs or kids playing in your yard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tworavens
Oct 5, 2009
Where I live in Washington going out to the country is a bit like Mad Max. We have meth addicted bikers, weird militias, crazy religious cults, drug labs, smugglers, and scavengers.

My father went out to a home he was thinking of buying about thirty miles out of town and goes inside to look around. He comes out five minutes later and all these people are looking inside his car, tugging on the handles and staring at the wheels. None of them spoke to him, they just saw him and walked away.

tworavens fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Dec 11, 2011