Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iskariot
May 25, 2010
Bet it's a lovely gun. Combination guns are seldom any good so go with two different guns for finishing nails and staples. Hitachi guns cost like $40-60 for finishing nailers and staple guns on Lowes. The quality is superb for a DIY-er.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iskariot
May 25, 2010
pocket pool - The 10.8V range from Bosch is very good and perhaps the best buy in the 10.8-12V range. You can't go wrong with a driver like that. It stops at ~100Nm though so it can't wrestle the bolts on the wheels of your car but pretty much anything wood-related it can handle. Personally I only use the impact driver on very large screws in wood but people claim an impact driver works well for decks.

MeKeV - Ugh, Ryobi. It's a decent enough DIY tool but with the prices you get professional tools for in the US, I would never buy something like that. Find a good Bosch/DeWalt(these are usually priced right)/Hitachi/Makita/Craftsman/Ridgid/whatever package with drill and driver 18V and >2.5Ah batteries instead. A little more pricey but worth it IMO. Oh and a regular 18V impact driver only manages around 150 Nm so tough bolts won't budge. You need something in the 4-500 Nm range for hefty poo poo. I usually loosen sturdy bolts manually before I set my 150 Nm Makita on them. I haven't bought that big fucker yet.

Iskariot
May 25, 2010

stubblyhead posted:

I picked up one of these today, and am quite happy with it. It was more like $80, but it didn't jam or misfire once.

My only problem with the Hitahi guns are that they don't like a lot of pressure. Think I'm down to 6-7 bar on the compressor. The upside is that these guns are reliable and cheap on air. I have a cheap Chinese compressor that's reliable but is noisy as hell. Less air spent means it refills less.

Iskariot
May 25, 2010

mrglynis posted:

Well I bought a new circular saw today. Got this one here:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_200152-67702-C7SB2_4294857530_4294937087_?productId=1057439&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1&pl=1¤tURL=%2Fpl_Circular%2BSaws_4294857530_4294937087_%3FNs%3Dp_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1
Those Hitachi saws are probably the best regular circular saws you can get. Throwing more money at it means you end up with a plunge saw. I have a Makita that is ok but it has a steel base that annoys me. When buying a circular saw, make sure the base is aluminum. It's more rigid, lighter and far more precise.

Metabo has a circular saw that doubles as a plunge saw - http://www.metabo.com/Plunge-Cut-and-Circular-Saw-KSE-55-Vario-Plus.31177.0.html

I still don't own a plunge saw but it's pretty far up my DOWANTNOW list. Ideally I would get the Mafell so I could tell my friends that their Festool saws are "cheap" but I may settle for a Makita or Metabo. The DeWalt is the poorest choice in all tests I've seen.

Iskariot
May 25, 2010

themachine posted:

I am need of new drill bits. A long time ago, I bought a big DeWalt box of bits from Home Depot, and it lasted alright. A lot of the bits broke eventually, and some have become lost. I'd like to get another set, but am not sure what the best bang for my buck is. Should I just go with a major name all in one set (DeWalt, Milwaukee, etc.), is there some other brand I should look at, or should I just buy bits here and there from whatever name is available?
Usually major powertool brands just re-brand rather flimsy third-party stuff and stick a massive price tag on the box. You're far better off with something like Wiha or Wera (my personal favorite).

I've tried Bosch, DeWalt and Hitachi bits that were plain awful.

Iskariot
May 25, 2010
Aw, man! Just when I thought I had landed on a favorite bit set:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfA_NQHT7JI&feature=youtu.be

Sales pitch aside, the last bit (*cackle*) of the video is interesting. The slipping of the bit is a sure way to ruin both screw and bit.

Iskariot
May 25, 2010
I strongly dislike Sawstop because it's so obvious that the inventor is lobbying his rear end off for his product. He's a patent lawyer isn't he? I'm all for safety, I even support enforcing rules, but not due to some prick trying to get a license to print money.

I liked this design: http://www.whirlwindtool.com/ I even think I'm going to snag the design for the anti-kickback device.

Iskariot
May 25, 2010

ibpooks posted:

Wouldn't you do the same? Wouldn't anyone? He has millions of dollars of his own money and investor money on the line. He spent years and actually created a product that was novel and that solves a major problem in society. Isn't this exactly what the patent system is for?

add: Although SS has been fairly successful, they are still a speck of dust compared to the multinational tool companies. No doubt all the major tool companies will eventually come out with some type of similar technology to directly compete. The only chance he has of long term survival for his company is to be as aggressive as possible as early as possible before he gets crushed under endless litigation and marketing effort from the giants. As a patent lawyer he knows the little guy rarely wins, and in this case he is the little guy.
I may have if I invented something half decent and was looking to retire early but that doesn't change the fact that under all this "got to keep people safe"-speech, someone is looking to get paid. Just because someone is out to squeeze money out of tragedies with a neat product doesn't mean you have to support that guy. I support safety and safety products but all the drama around SS makes me dislike it and its inventor.

The whirlwind tackles another safety issue which costs the community millions - dust. Are vacuums mandatory on saws? Are dust masks? Probably not but the health issues due to wood dust exposure can probably rival cutting accidents.

Just to be clear, from an objective PoV, I think the SS is pretty neat. I like the overall design of the Whirlwind a lot more but the SS is more compact and better suited for contractor saws for instance. I endorse safety products as well. My only gripe is how he's trying to market this via trying to enforce it by laws.

Iskariot
May 25, 2010
Yeah, I don't buy the dumb argument either. Sure a lot of accidents are due to stupid mistakes but think about stupid mistakes you've done in your life. Now imagine they took a couple of fingers off.

Not introducing a safety concept because other products don't have them isn't really an argument either. Any bit helps. Making one patented product mandatory on the other hand, that rubs me the wrong way. I can set up a TS with simple safety measures that is almost impossible to shove fingers into without wanting to put them in. Look at the box on top of the Whirlwind, without the electronics, and you have the gist of it. If people continue to use thumbs to push pieces through the cut, well, then they entered the stupid zone and they can go pick up a Sawstop to help brain activity.

I haven't studied the actual Sawstop saws, just the mechanism used to stop the blade. It's pretty cool but misfires quite a lot if you're working with humid wood according to a British woodworking forum. If you are lucky you need to change the blade and mechanism, unlucky and the whole frame under the table becomes crooked due to the massive force of stopping the blade and motor dead. Small price for your fingers, pretty expensive if your wood piece was a bit damp.

Not directly related but I dropped a chain-saw on my knee once. I was wearing safety pants and got away from it with a scrap and a racing heart. Done many dumb things without safety gear but gotten away with it relatively unharmed.

Iskariot
May 25, 2010
Not even sure it was that. Just a hard dump on my knee and the sudden realization what had happened. Think it was a tree falling unexpected or something, I can't really remember. Years ago.

Other fun incidents: Dropping an anvil on my foot the one day I wore my Doc Martens. Think the tip of my foot got pushed half an inch down into the gravel. Not nearly as dangerous as it hit the tip of the toes but they would have been paste in light footwear. (Yeah, I wore steel-tips from then on).

Ah, the joys of growing up on a farm with an engineer dad. <3

Iskariot
May 25, 2010
Your... boss? Do you work in garbage collection and your boss is a stereotype American/Italian?

Don't buy stolen goods. You're funding people that may steal from you next.

Iskariot
May 25, 2010

Boogeyman posted:

My dad has a shop over at his place, and most of his larger equipment is older stuff that he bought around 30 years ago or so. He has a DeWalt 10" radial arm saw (model 7740/3421 type 3) that finally bit the dust last week. I noticed that he had a newer radial arm saw up in the garage and asked him what happened to the old one. Apparently he was cutting some dadoes and he smelled something electrical burning, so he shut the saw off and let it sit for a bit. He started it back up again later and it shot flames out of the motor housing, then died (even in death, radial arm saws are :black101:).

So now the question is do we spend the time and money to fix it, or scrap it and just use the newer one? I told him that I wasn't sure if it was worth fixing or not, and that I would check with you all to see if you had any insight. He's comfortable with electronics, so if it's a simple fix like replacing a part in the motor or something, that shouldn't be a big deal. If it's just right smart hosed, then we'll move the new one down to the shop and put the old one on craigslist.
If the arm and table is in good condition (no wear in the arm), then look to get the motor fixed or replaced. A worn out RAS is still valuable. The motor should just need new bearings if it hasn't burned up like your yours. If the arm is worn you need to get someone with know-how to grind new grooves. This is costly but restores the arm to new condition.

Since your dad has two I'm not sure it's worth trying to salvage the burnt one. OWWM.org may have some pointers? You could also sell out parts form the old one. Always people looking to get parts.

Iskariot
May 25, 2010

Nerobro posted:

A radial arm saw can't pick up the material and kick it back at you if it lifts to the top of the blade.
Yes it can. It's listed as the number one danger in the Mr. Sawdust book and he pointed to a printed story where a guy had lost his son due to kickback on a massive, old DeWalt RAS. It is, of course, user error. If you set everything up correctly and feed the material correctly, kickbacks like this are near impossible. You should position yourself (and others) as you were expecting them though.

Iskariot
May 25, 2010

kafkasgoldfish posted:

Are they good for anything other than breaking down large panels? I know the track saw manufacturers brag how you can trim doors or do shallow cuts in wood floors for replacing sections but considering that even the Makita version costs three times what their regular circular saws cost, is it worth it?
It is. A plunge track saw can do a hell of a lot more than a regular circular saw. Proper depth adjustment, proper clean cuts, closed guard so you get near 100% dust collection with a vacuum. It's also a dream to use unlike using a guide and a circular saw.

The DeWalt is claimed to be shite compared to other track saws. I haven't used it but it gets a lot of negative press in Europe. The Makita is the best deal for the money. Most of the features of the Festool and some new ones. The Fes TS55 is the industry standard. Expensive as hell but good. The best track saw money can buy right now is probably the Mafell MT55. Mafell is priced as Festool and the quality is as good.

Iskariot
May 25, 2010

Circus Pies! posted:

Are you a RAS salesman? I just don't like them.

Sorry.
You not liking them doesn't really count as an argument, does it? I understand personal taste but you claim to have barely used one and like any complex tool it takes time to master it.

Iskariot
May 25, 2010

Archives posted:

I always figured there was a reason they stopped making the drat things and only crazy internet people recommend them.
Bad press and an American tradition to worship the TS is my guess. They are also expensive to manufacture properly. They had a hard time launching the RAS at DeWalt because old-timers swore by the TS and anything new was the devil. To argue against it you really need hard facts, not opinions of others.

The RAS also got a reputation as unsafe because people were idiots. No one spoke of the countless idiots that lost limbs and lives on TSes at the time. It also got a rep for being inaccurate. This is a bigger weakness on a RAS than a TS - the RAS needs more tuning. It does more than a TS without countless jigs though.

I'm such a RAS nerd and I haven't even put mine back together. :eng99:

Iskariot
May 25, 2010

ibpooks posted:

I feel like all of the good qualities of the RAS have been done better with sliding compound miter saws, which I guess are a type of radial arm saws.

Nope. A miter saw is an advances chop saw. It does cross cuts, miter and bevel. That's it. A TS or RAS can do all the functions of a miter saw, the miter saw can do a fraction of the things a TS or RAS can.

It is however available and at good prices.

Iskariot
May 25, 2010

ibpooks posted:

I think a big part of it is the limited range of material sizes you can realistically work on a RAS. A tablesaw is only limited by the size of the room it is in whereas a RAS has a fixed arm length that puts an upper bound on what you can do with the saw.
That is true and I did consider this before I read the Mr. Sawdust book. It addresses a lot of these issues just like you've seen TS jigs to handle cuts a TS shouldn't normally handle.

ibpooks posted:

I know it can do more, but a good 95% of the work that most people encounter are crosscuts, miters and bevels. The SCMS meets the needs of the vast majority of the market out there which really limits the appeal of the RAS.
That's simply not true. I've been renovating our house for the past two years now and ripping factors in here. I've done lots of ad hoc stunts to make up for not having a TS or RAS available.

Depends on what you mean by "most people" too, of course. If by normal you mean some guy doing a handful of DIY jobs then sure. But then you could also buy a good handsaw and some angles.

Iskariot
May 25, 2010
Translation is killing me here but the "non-hubbed" stuff, is it threaded? In that case it's safe to use without the nut. Your grinder rotates in the opposite direction of the threads and your disc or wire wheel will tighten itself when you use it. Just don't be lazy tightening it by hand. I did that with a quick-stop grinder and without having used the wire wheel. Needless to say the wire wheel came flying as the spindle stopped and the wheel was rotating at 20k RPM. Nothing really dangerous but that fucker flew like I was Jehovahs Witness standing in it's doorway.

A good tug nothing more. They get bitchy when you try to get them off as using them tighten them.

Iskariot
May 25, 2010

Chauncey posted:

I don't get how you're supposed to conveniently rip anything on a radial arm saw. Aren't you limited by the amount of travel of the saw head? Is there a new tool that people are calling a radial arm saw but it isn't?

Am I missing something???
The sled which travels the arm and the motor hangs in can be turned 360 degrees. So you turn it 180 degrees and you have a ripping saw. Max rip is the length of the arm. (from the blade to the rear guide).

Iskariot
May 25, 2010

Nerobro posted:

The max rip length is half the length of the room you have it in. you can turn the head 90 degrees and just push stock right through.

And you can't have the stock climb the blade and shoot back at you.
Blast. I wrote incorrectly. It is 90 degrees, of course.

You can get kickback though. That's why you have the kickback mechanism attached to the arm. The guard should be lowered down to the material in front. You feed sheets at the opposite direction when ripping so the force of the blade is up and towards you. If you don't set the guard and kickback device up properly, material can both climb and shoot back at you.

My DeWalt 110, which is a re-branded Elu, has a completely different guard. It has two riving knives at both ends that's attached to a bracket. You can lower the knives as you wish by shifting the bracket. The kickback "fingers" are attached to a lip that slides over the guard. So when ripping something thin, the guard and lip look like pacman mouth down. It's pretty neat compared to the US default DeWalt guards. Mine is damaged and missing the fingers so I have to ponder up something to make it safe.

Iskariot
May 25, 2010

stubblyhead posted:

I'm thinking of putting in some steps in my yard using railroad ties as treads/risers. Since these things are larger than your average power saw can cut through, what is the best way of cutting them to length?
Slightly off topic, but are these old risers? Be wary of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creosote

Iskariot
May 25, 2010

Pinkerton posted:

My wife and I are in the process of buying our first home so at last I am able to start assembling a power tool collection. We are planning on installing crown molding in a few rooms of the new house so I am in the market for a miter saw. I've noticed that prices for 10" compound miter saws are hundreds of dollars cheaper than larger 12" and sliding saws.

The saw will primarily be used for cutting small items like molding, however I do have a few projects coming up (bookshelves, raised beds for gardens) where I will need to be cutting 1X8 and possibly 1X10 boards (non-angled cuts). Does it make sense to spend the extra money for a larger miter saw or should I just rely on a circular saw for these other projects?

Money is sort of an object here but I'd hate to spend several hundred dollars on a 10" only to regret my purchase and wish I bought a larger saw.
Get a 10". You rarely need a 12". I would definitely get a sliding saw as it can do longer cuts and ideally a dual-miter saw (you see this as having the motor on top of the saw or at a 45 degree angle like the Makita ones). A simple single-bevel saw can do all the cuts a dual-bevel can, you just need to place the wood correctly and use your head. Also get a nice 60-80 tooth blade for detail work.

Iskariot
May 25, 2010
drat you Americans and your wonderful tool prices! I have a 8.5" myself and I get by comfortably. A 4"x4" would be problematic but I never cut anything that large really. A 10" would do that easily and a 12" adds weight, size and a hefty price tag on new blades. For a DIY-er a 10" will suffice. I would never tag you as a simple DIY-er, wormil.

I will upgrade my Hitachi 8.5" at some point. But then I am restoring that RAS which will take care of most of the cross-cut work. Smaller miter saws have size and weight going for them so I can lend mine out to mates without them needing a forklift and truck.

Iskariot
May 25, 2010
Re: Miter saws - I'd rather have my small 8.5" sliding miter than a fixed 10 or 12". Getting a sliding miter saw is IMO fundamental. Dual bevel is more of a luxury issue.

iForge: Any will do as the vise will look great no matter the paint (dare you to paint it pink!). I've recently fallen in love with dark gray hammer paint. Like this: http://www.jamesriser.com/Machinery/GortonPantograph/Restore.html

It's subtly pimp.

Iskariot
May 25, 2010
Or pop on over to Mecca itself - http://owwm.org/

Iskariot
May 25, 2010
I got a new toy: http://www.mafell.com/produkte/prod_saegen_kst55_i.html

This is the previous model of Mafells track saw and lacks a few of the features the MT55 has but it's mostly how easy things are to set up (two levers instead of one mostly) and the KST 55 comes with a retractable riving knife that the MT 55 doesn't have. The missing features are easy-to-use ones, like one-button blade removal and so on. The KST 55 is sold (or was, I dunno) as a combined circular saw/track saw where as the MT 55 is a pure track saw. No idea why Mafell discontinued the knife, the Norwegian importer was told that it wasn't needed as electronics in the saw would prevent kickback. Doesn't help burns though.

I got this with a kickass side rail and in a systainer. No tracks. List price was $1,350.00 :monocle: but I got it for $360. Still need to buy tracks for it which will be another $400 for 2x160cm tracks, two clamps, a connection piece and a bag to store it in.

It's made from loving magnesium. I get a boner simply looking at it.

Iskariot
May 25, 2010

ibpooks posted:

As cool as the saws and routers are, the sanders are what's really cool in the Festool line. They have drat near dust free sanding all the way from rough paint stripping to very fine polishing.
While the Fes sanders are top of the line, most modern, professional sanders will do this as well. Bosch has a new line that does well even without a vacuum attached. The small paper filter catches drat near everything.

Speaking of sanders, I saw a demo of the new Mafell sander. A regular plane sander which is pretty out of style at the moment. The neat thing with this was perfect dust gathering and no vibration. They demonstrated this with putting a glass of water on top of it while sanding. It was like a Rolls-Royce test only with a sander! Pretty cool. The price... not so much.

Iskariot
May 25, 2010
Get a Fein. Perfect for this kind of job and many, many others. Once you have one you'll be amazed you coul function without one for all these years. Copies from Bosch, Craftsman, etc will work as well but the original is still the best.

http://www.multimaster.info/fein-multimaster/us/en/main/

Iskariot
May 25, 2010

Ahz posted:

Any good recommendations on a value priced corded circular saw? Nothing in the ryobi range, but closer to $100 vs. $150+.
Hitachi has really good reputation but Bosch and DeWalt makes really good saws as well. Make sure it has a decently sized motor and an aluminum base. The steel bases are prone to warp and are stamped out of thin sheets. The aluminum ones are molded and more accurate.

Iskariot
May 25, 2010

Bank posted:

Good call. Picked up a Dremel for $90 at Home Depot -- the Fein was closer to $300, and I couldn't foresee myself spending that much on it, especially when HF has a generic for ~$30.

If you didn't notice, there were two sets of flooring I pulled out.
There's a world of difference between a HF China copy and the Fein Multimaster but I understand why you didn't shell out for the MM straight away. It's pricey. Consider it if you end up using this type of tool often and/or for long periods of time. There's far less vibration in the Fein and the build quality is superb. The tool attachments are also of higher quality so they last longer (and is why the cost more than other brands blades).

Good job on the floor. I once did something similar with a saw attachment to a regular Dremel. Needless to say it was a grueling experience.

Iskariot
May 25, 2010

Trench_Rat posted:

cross posting from Ask and Tell

In a couple of weeks I'll be going to Miami (Florida) before joining my ship in the Bahamas. I will have a day or two in the city and my father asked me to buy him a Fein Multimaster (its crazy expensive in europe 900+ dollars), and you can get it from 199 dollars (starter set) in the US (something to do with patents in the eu VS usa). I know the RPM of the motor is dependent on the hz. I can use a step down converter to deal with the voltage. But can the electrical motor be damaged or burned out by running on a lower hz?
This isn't true at all. Fein is actually competitive in Europe because they no longer have the patent on these types of machines. I can get a starter kit for $200 in Norway and this is the place where tools are 2-4 times as expensive as in the US.

European tool store that ships internationally: http://www.toolstop.co.uk/fein-fmm250q-multimaster-top-kit-accessories-240v-p10713

Get the Top pack. Fein racks in the money on attachments and your father will use the supplied stuff from a Top pack for a long time. Oh and the starter version has a bolt locking the attachments in place instead of the fantastic lever. You want the lever.

Iskariot
May 25, 2010
Ja, det har jeg.

Fein started dropping the price once Bosch made and marketed the green version to DIY-ers. After that all sorts of copies have been made and Fein has dropped the price significantly.

I wouldn't get one from the US if that meant running it through a converter. The Top Plus package should be available for 3000 NOK on sale somewhere. Then you get a Norwegian warranty and the Top Plus package contains more attachments than the Top.

It's the only tool that's actually smart to buy locally. Perhaps attachments are slightly cheaper in the US.

Rule of thumb: Never get corded tools from the US, always cordless. Then you only need to rebuild/replace the charger, not run some lovely converter every time you want to use your tool. (*sniff* Hilti prices in the US. They mock me!)

Iskariot
May 25, 2010

BrokenKnucklez posted:

What are peoples opinion on Hitatchi Power tools, there is a sale going on at a local hardware store for a impact driver/ 1/2 drill combo for 150.

http://www.google.com/products/cata...ved=0CEYQ8wIwAQ

This is what the combo is.
Hitachi makes professional grade tools. I don't know the models in that package but it's a sweet deal.

Hitachi is converting their drills and drivers to brush-less motors so the above package is probably with brushes. It doesn't really affect you as you'd be hard pressed to wear out the brushes on quality tools with DIY use.

Iskariot
May 25, 2010
Not really tools but I view work wear as part of my tool arsenal.

I recently bought a few Blåkläder items:

http://www.blakladerusa.com/catalog/workpants/glasgow_kilt/
http://www.blaklader.com/no/produkter/handverk/bukser/15001320-bukse-handverk-x1500/khaki-svart-2899/ (couldn't find this on the US site)
http://www.blakladerusa.com/catalog/accessories/heavy_duty_knee_padd/
http://www.blakladerusa.com/catalog/accessories/suspenders/
http://www.blaklader.com/no/produkter/handskar/hansker/22453942-arbeidshanske-freyr/
http://www.blakladerusa.com/catalog/tops/base_performance_tee/

I must say I'm extremely impressed with the quality and thought that has gone into these products.

The pants felt worn-in when I tried them in the store. Simply amazing. I added suspenders and the gel knee pads to the pants. I like having suspenders when I end up with half a tool box and three boxes of screws in the pockets. Having to tighten the belt enough for the pants to stay on and seeing your balls turn blue is not for me. The knee pads are great when I mess around on my knees but they are a bit stiff so they flatten the knee in the pants when I stand up. Blåkläder should have molded a curve in them. I will probably cut some grooves in them to fix this. Maybe drill some holes in as well to get some air in. Pants are robust and heavy so they favor cool to cold weather. Smooth material so they don't rub on knees. Still not completely used to the pockets compared to my old pants but I'll get the hang of it.

The kilt is fantastic of course. If you are comfortable wearing it. If you're not you're a pussy. A bit limited with utility pockets but you obviously can't get as much as in pants. The left side pocket feels slightly to far to the front so I sometimes feel my torpedo level hit my knee when I walk, very minor issue. It's pure sex wearing it in hot weather but obviously no knee pads. poo poo, you're so manly in this your knees can take it.

The gloves are ok. They are a tight fit and it feels like the seams rub ever so slightly against my hands. Maybe I need to get used to them. Very good work gloves when you need to do detailed work, not so good when you need more protection against bumping your hand against stuff and so on. Strong stuff though. I've gripped boards with nails sticking through them without any poking though. For detailed work I still favor finger-less gloves.

The t-shirts are nice. Unlike regular cotton t-shirts, these really breathe. I've yet to see sweat stains even when I was soaking. You feel the slightest breeze in these. I usually wear regular cotton t-shirts but I picked up a few of these on sale and I think it was worth it. I expect these will work well to transport perspiration under other clothes during the winter as well.

Blåkläder has a lifetime warranty on the seams which is nice as my last pants suddenly became very "kilt-y". The seam from the crotch to one of the knees ripped. My new pants are superior to my old one so I expect I won't need the warranty.

Blåkläder means "Blue clothes" in Swedish by the way. I must say I have become a fan. drat those ingenious Swedes.

Iskariot
May 25, 2010
To be frank, I've never used more than regular safety glasses and hearing protection when grinding. Positioning and know-how has kept me safe for now. If you get bits of metal from the actual grinding in your visor, you are aiming the cutoff blast at it. Just don't do that. Equally, don't aim it at your body unless it is protected against some heat and a few drops of molten metal. I've never caught fire using a grinder and wearing cotton/nylon. I have caught fire welding and gas cutting.

I've had exploding discs but there's little mass in them once they shatter and I never (ok, seldom) take the protection screen of the grinder. I try to keep that between me and the disc.

When I'm grinding or cutting I'm focused like a motherfucker. What makes me have near accidents is putting the grinder down or having to adjust something. I clearly need a grinder with a motor break.

PS: I'm not against safety. All I'm saying is that visors, leather aprons and whatnot are not good safety substitutes for good common sense.

PSS: Last time cutting I used 0.8mm discs. Such a treat to cut with. Fast, nice even cut, little heat. Have to find more of those. I was cutting 200x200x6 mm square tubing with a small 125mm grinder without a hitch. It's only 750W. Used up one disc for a whole cut. Oh and I did it in a kilt. :parrot:

Iskariot
May 25, 2010

Slung Blade posted:

Backyard Blacksmith forges in a utilikilt, so do you apparently, and I am seriously considering it. I don't really know why.

What the gently caress is wrong with us man?
I'm using a Blåkläder kilt atm. I wanted to test kilts out before I imported a Utilikilt.

http://www.blakladerusa.com/catalog/workpants/glasgow_kilt/

Doesn't look at nice as the Utilikilt but it works. The Ulilikilts can't hold as many tools by the looks of it.

It's a step up from wearing shorts when working. If you are careless you expose your balls to all sorts of dangers but if you use the kilt correctly, you can shield the family jewels and lower legs with the front of the kilt. It's more or less like walking around in your boxers and who doesn't like that?

Iskariot
May 25, 2010
There's no reason not to, true, but it's just :effort: when you're working and need to cut a couple of nails or something. It disrupts work flow. It is lazy but work has to be done.

The shield is key. By positioning you can only be subjected to ricochets and not direct fragments. The kinetic energy in the fragment is usually pretty depleted at that point. I haven't had many exploding discs but it has happened. Usually my fault as I bent the disc by twisting the grinder or something like it. I try not to be semi-naked when handling a large grinder with a hefty disc because of the reasons you describe.

I once got a piece of steel stuck in my forearm when looking at my brother beating some steel into submission on an anvil. About half a thumbnail in size. The thing dug itself pretty deep so I couldn't get it out by using an ice cube and a needle. The doctor dug in my arm for five minutes or so getting it out. Once out we could see what looked like barbs that made it stick in the wound like hell. I threatened to nail my brother to the door for what he had done.

Iskariot
May 25, 2010
I must admit that I sometimes... No, almost always use my regular glasses whatever I do. :( I blame my father for bad influence. I'm too lazy to put on contacts to do work and safety glasses that go on top of regular glasses are, well, slightly terrible to say the least. Especially with a mask.

I should get contact lenses that I can wear for a month so lazy doesn't cost me an eye. Wonder if I could get decent working glasses somewhere for a good price.

Latest tool purchases:
http://www.toolstop.co.uk/makita-bfr550z-li-ion-cordless-auto-feed-screwdriver-18v-naked-p4533
http://www.toolstop.co.uk/metabo-sxe450-turbotec-240v-350w-150mm-disc-sander-50-free-sanding-discs-p8651
http://www.toolstop.co.uk/makita-bmr101-job-site-radio-with-dab-p14463

Haven't used them much yet. Still preparing to set up drywall. I expect fastening will be less of a PITA with the driver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iskariot
May 25, 2010
Just have to drop this here:

http://www.makita.co.nz/products/detail.lsd?item=BBY180Z

Makita really does have a cordless alternative for everything.