Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

Iskariot posted:

Fein Multimaster is the same type tool as the Dremel Multi Max but industry quality. Fein sells an even stronger and more expensive version named the Fein SuperCut.

This is really the home improvement super tool. I bought the Top version with several sawblades, some fugue handling accessories, delta sanding plates, dust extraction device and a nice case. Expensive but superb quality.

I have the craftsman version and I use it quite frequently. I love it and it works wonders. Probably not the best of the brands, but it does what I need it to.

In other news as far as tool recommendations go, I will list my review of several things I have owned. I am not affiliated with any tool manufacturers and this writeup is purely to share my experience with different products.

:woop: Thumbs Up:

Ryobi 4.5" Angle Grinder ($35 3 years ago)
I own one that I bought maybe 3 years ago. I have put it through hell and back using everything from grinding wheels to flap disks to wire cup brushes. I even bought a diamond blade for it and have used it quite a bit to cut plaster, tile, and concrete and it has held up well.

Harbor Freight Portable Band Saw ($75 2.5 years ago)
Does not get as much use as the Ryobi angle grinder but they seem to hold up remarkably well. About 1.5 years into its life, Dv6speed/AbsentMindedWelder took my first one to work with him for a little while and the trigger stuck on it so's you had to unplug it to shut it off. I had the 2 year warranty so I just took it in and they gave me a new one, and I bought the 2 year warranty on it again($15) so I will have free band saws for life! Beats the HELL out of hack-sawing.

Ridgid Fuego one handed reciprocating saw ($100 then, $90 now)
!!! I love this saw! It has all the power of a larger saw but in a compact size! The trigger is about halfway up the tool making it easy to use single handed and I haven't found something that it can't cut with a nice sharp blade. It came with a free LIFETIME warranty, and I sent it the paperwork 6 months ago, but I haven't heard anything back from them so I hope to not have any issues if I ever have to cash in on that warranty.

Fluke 1AC-A1-II Volt-Alert AC Non-Contact Voltage Tester($20-30)
No need to elaborate. I have used about every brand out there and this is the best. Hands down. Stay away from the Greenlee brand one.

Klein Journeyman J20008 High-Leverage Lineman's Pliers($~35)
I cannot possibly do these pliers justice in a short paragraph. They are strong and can be used for many different things. If you can fit it in between the cutting surfaces and have the hand strength to cut it, it will cut about ANYTHING except hardened steel. I have cut bolts, pallet banding, wire, nails, screws, staples, copper tubing, even steel cable with these pliers. Unstoppable. Heavy enough to use as a hammer in a pinch, too!

Klein Kurve wire strippers(~$20)
The handle shape makes it easy to get a good grip on the strippers to get the job done fast. Has threaded holes for cutting 6-32 and 8-32 screws for electrical devices and fixtures. Best wire strippers that I have ever owned.

Klein screwdrivers and nutdrivers
Honestly, it is all what you are used to using, but for me the rubberized cushion grip on the Klein screwdrivers and nutdrivers reduces hand fatigue greatly because you don't have to squeeze as hard to get a grip on the tool. Tips last forever and they have a lifetime warranty as long as you don't hammer on the end.

Ridgid See-Snake flexible head cordless inspection camera($?)
Extremely useful tool. Very handy for running wire in blind walls. Held up well while I used it, but belonged to a previous employer so I no longer have it.

Dremel 4000 Rotary tool($100)
I haven't had this long but have owned and used various other rotary tools and Dremel is top-dog. I love the variable speed wheel that is separate from the on/off switch so you can turn it off and then back on and it is right at the RPM I was previously using. A+

:negative: Thumbs Down

Harbor Freight 4.5" Angle Grinder ($20?)
Garbage with a capital G-A-R-B-A-G-E. I broke the gearbox on one when removing a wheel that wasn't even on there that tight. Junk.

Greenlee, Sperry, ect brand non-contact voltage detectors($15-20)
As I previously stated, Fluke makes the best one.

Harbor Freight pipe wrenches(Cheap)
Junk.

Ridgid 18 volt cordless power tools ($300 for a set of 3 tools, 2 batteries, and a charger?)
The batteries had a very short life. After only maybe a dozen charge cycles I noticed a significant loss in life in the batteries and now they collect dust and the set is useless. I refuse to buy replacement batteries. My DeWalt batteries have held up 100X longer. Before the batteries were completely useless, the keyless blade release on the reciprocating saw broke and I had to use a screwdriver to change blades. Not recommended.

Ridgid palm sander($60?)
Junk. I managed to destroy one before I had used up the first sheet of sandpaper on it. Evidently, I pushed too hard and locked up the internal mechanism. I have put other power sanders through 5x the abuse and they took it with no problem. I wasn't even pushing THAT HARD on it. Maybe a defective unit, but I will never buy another.

Craftsman 10 inch table saw
I would recommend it's use as a boat anchor but the plastic/thin aluminum construction isn't even heavy enough for that. Motor mounts were made from pot metal and under light strain they broke, causing the blade to drop down inside the base and tear up the innards until it stopped itself. I now own a 70's cast iron 10 inch saw with steel motor mounts and no plastic or pot metal. Works excellent!

Craftsman benchtop band saw
Again with the junk pot metal brackets. One of the roller guides on it broke as it was made from cheap cast pot metal. I fixed it with JB-Weld and it is now relegated to light duty. Not recommended.

This is all I can think of in one sitting, I will think more and update as needed. Hope this helps. Your mileage may vary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

dyne posted:

Didn't you sign up for their lifetime service agreement? You get free replacement batteries with it.

No. I believe that I purchased it before they offered that. This was 2005ish that I bought the set.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Edit: censoring myself

iForge fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 28, 2011

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

keykey posted:

The best tool I've ever had was a mechanically auto adjusting crescent wrench. Unfortunately it got lost somewhere in the move from my old house to new house and I can't find any information about it anywhere on the internet, just the battery powered auto adjustable black and decker thing. I picked it up at some cheap store for like $3 and used it for drat near everything. :(

Something along the lines of this? http://www.goantiques.com/detail,american-plierench-eifel,1334984.html

dv6speed/absentmindedwelder has a pair of these and they are amazing.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Anubis posted:

Here's something I think most home owners should own. RIDGID Power Spin Drain Gun http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100048949/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

It's such a basic tool that I don't think the brand matters too much, but I really like this little drill attachment that I picked up a couple years ago. It always seems like the clog is a little past the 6' drain snakes and plunging is tiring. With this thing it's pretty straight forward, just put the drill on low and take it fairly slow or else the entire thing will tend to get tangled. Considering a visit from a plumber around here starts at $100 this guy has saved me something like $400 over 5 years between here and my wife's store.

Of course, latex or nylon gloves and safety glasses are highly recommended.

Going to second this. I have never used it on a drill but it is still boss. Much better than any other one that i have owned.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Jihad Me At Hello posted:

I'd like to find some kind of dolly to carry it in along with my drills and benders. Yes, I want to be that guy.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Went to a resale shop's going out of business sale today. Was hoping for a better haul but this is what I got for $11..

Craftsman 1/8 inch pin punch
China 1/4 inch leather punch
China 5/16 inch leather punch
2x center punches in desperate need of resharpening
6x taps in various sizes. I just grabbed all the ones that weren't rusty or broken
10/24 adjustable split die
Small ball peen hammer in severe need of a new handle but otherwise in great shape.

Not the greatest haul I've had but still a great deal for the $!!!

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

StinkingWolf posted:

Are there any recommendations for a fairly rugged pneumatic finishing nailer? I'd prefer to avoid anything from Rigid, as my last nailer from them was a total lemon.

Bostitch is a good route to take. I have an ancient pneumatic framing nailer of theirs and a few modern finish nailers and have never had a problem with any of em.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Iskariot posted:

This is my latest problem:
One inch inside that hole there is a pin of some sort and I have no idea how to remove it. Only hole on one side and I can't find a manual for another model that shows me how it's done.

That hole looks pretty crusty. Clean it out and make sure its not just a set screw that is full of dirt and poo poo.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

I removed a spring pin set in a hole like that once by tapping it with a tap that i did not care about and then screwing a bolt of the proper size in there and using that to pull on it. Your mileage may vary. Use plenty of penetrating oil.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

I'm glad that worked for you. I do my share of tinkering, so PM me or post here with any questions that you may have if you hit another speed bump.

As a corollary, you should really think about putting something down to protect that floor while you work. Even if it is just a few layers of newspaper, it will keep oil, dirt, grease, etc off the floor as well as help prevent scratches. Hell hath no fury like the Mrs. scorned.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Jet Ready Go posted:

I am planning to do some arts and crafts work with thick plastics (anywhere from 1cm thick and down), possibly some wood (the arts and crafty kind, not chunks of wood meant to make log cabins) and very little (if any) metal work.

This is all done on a small-ish scale. Most my projects would have me doing cutting and drilling on stuff about the size of hard drive.

I was looking into rotary tools to do some fine cutting and wanted some advice to fit my needs.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-RTX-B-Rotary-Storage/dp/B000MUSLCC/ref=reg_hu-rd_add_1_dp_T2

I was looking at this because it's cheap.

I was wondering if there was anything better in the under $80 price range that you guys could recommend me to work with the materials I listed above.

I'm mostly concerned about having decent straight cuts (not too much jags so I don't have to spend infinity time sanding it), and whether or not these machines gunk up easily or melt through plastic due to the speed its cutting through it.

This is my first time doing ANYTHING like this, so I need as many pointers as I can get. I don't even know exactly what to ask for since I know nothing of the terminology.

I believe that I said it on the first page of this thread and I will say it again. Go Dremel or go home. I have used many different types and Dremel has the most power, versatility, and accessory base of any of them. Extremely high end (read: pricey) brands are most certainly better, but for the $80ish range, you get a LOT of tool for the money with a Dremel. Their battery powered ones are iffy, so go with a corded one.

As far as gunking up or melting the plastic, as long as you are using the correct bit for the material you are working, you won't have a problem.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

For a softer PVC type plastic, I like the drywall cutting bit. for harder stuff, i like the diamond wheel. Prepare for a mess of plastic bits flying everywhere if you use the diamond wheel.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

straw_ewe posted:

It's seriously the best for rehab work if you're in that line.

I have this in the corded version and can not recommend it enough! It cuts as well if not better than the porter cable corded one that I have, and the one handed design is great!

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

So I picked up an OLD Wilton No. 60 vise on Tuesday. It weighs atleast 100 pounds. The dynamic jaw was seized when I first got it, and it is missing the plate that attaches the screw to the dynamic jaw so that the jaw opens when you turn the screw counter clockwise. Easy fix. Getting the dynamic jaw unstuck was a whole different matter...

I ended up using a chisel and a hammer to unstick it initially. Then came the crowbar to move it a little farther, and I was able to progressively open it to about 4 inches and thats all it would go. Then I had an idea....

Two minutes later and the jack had saved the day...

I hit it with a wire cup on the angle grinder and I currently have everything soaking in a heavy degreaser to remove the petrified grease from the inside of the box and off everything in general. The screw, as pictured below, is in IMMACULATE shape for the age of this vise as well. Date of manufacture is January 1945.

I am open to suggestions on what color to paint the body and a different accent color for the raised lettering. Also, does anyone know how to remove the back cap off of one of these? There are no pins or screws and I don't want to force anything. It will just make cleaning a bit easier...

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

The Automator posted:

I threw a metal cutting wheel on my angle grinder today and honestly it made me nervous. It had a lot more kicking to it than the grinding wheels do. I'm completely fine and comfortable with the grinding wheels, but the cutting wheel had me sweating a bit.

Basically I'm a wiener.

I refuse to use these without wearing my leather apron. I have had 2 come apart on me and luckily both times I was wearing my leather. Go to harbor freight and pick one up for $8. If you want a better one, I can try to see what brand I use(if the tag is still legible...)It will give you a lot more peace of mind when working with spinny things.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Looking at getting an Impact driver off Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-29200-Hand-Impact-Tool/dp/B0002NYDRG/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1319753304&sr=8-7

This seem like a decent version? Will be using it on my car and small engines mostly.

Do you have a Sears store near you? I have a Craftsman one that is identical to that and I paid $20 for it, plus you get a lifetime warranty with it. Mine didn't come with a carrying case though...

Edit: Re-read the amazon description and that one has a 3/8 square drive and mine has a 1/2 inch square drive. Just FYI...

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Cross-posting this from the blacksmithing thread, since I feel like I may find a broader audience here...

A jewelery student/friend of mine asked about the harbor freight micro o/a torch. Has anyone heard anything good/bad about this torch? There is one review on Harbor Freight's site but its hard to judge value off one review...

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

kid sinister posted:

Actually you can, from just the name. Pretty much everything Harbor Freight makes is junk, that's why it's so cheap. They fill the niche between "rental" and "HOW much for a new one?" Personally, I wouldn't buy anything from them that could blow up in my hand.

Not entirely true. I have experienced both high and low quality tools from harbor freight. They sell cheap rebranded stuff for the most part but some of it is relatively decent quality. I appreciate your stance but I am looking for any first/second hand accounts.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

wormil posted:

Definitely. That's why people interested in woodworking should save up and buy either a contractor (sometimes called a hybrid) or cabinet saw. Jobsite saws are loud, underpowered and imprecise for woodworking though they are fine for carpentry. I keep meaning to buy a link belt for mine because I've read time and again that they run smoother but I just never get around to it. It's already pretty smooth.

I am going to second the link belt for you. I have an old craftsman cast iron cabinet saw that I use fairly regularly and I cannot recommend the link belt enough. I had some minor to moderate vibration in the saw with a regular belt but once I got the link belt it was like a whole new saw! Runs 100% smooth now.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

dinozaur posted:

Their "Mini bolt cutters" are the best wire cutters I have ever used, and only cost $4. I cut thick steel wire very frequently at work and they have never failed except when I misplace them. I had tried out many other kinds of cutters and these rock. Along the same lines, I've been extremely happy with my HF heat gun, torque wrench, tarps, hammers, socket holders, tool chest, electric impact wrench, and many more tools. Many of the tools I purchased from HF are used in a constant-use professional environment.

Don't dismiss Harbor Freight tools just because they are inexpensive and made in China.

I am on my second one of their portable band saw. the first one had an issue with the trigger switch but aside from being a little bit on the loud side they do the job quite well! they both have been put through a lot of use and for $100 on sale you cant beat it!

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

I am looking for a toolbox that has multiple drawers but can he hand carried. I am using a 18x 12 inch with a top tray right now for my hand tools but i'd like a multi drawer unit to separate hand tools by use. I'd like a deeper drawer on the bottom to store larger tools like my multimeter and tubing bender.

Also I am trying to find a T handle wrench that does 1/4 and 5/16th nut driver. It doesn't have to be a deep socket but a 2 in on would be nice. I don't like a multi screw driver since they seem to strip out easier then a nut driver itself.

Toolbox

Also, I used to keep one of these in the back of my SUV for tool storage and would just take out what I needed for whatever job and toss them in my other toolbox. Makes for a nice organized overflow bin so you aren't lugging unneeded tools around.

Looked for about 10 minutes couldnt find your nut driver :-/

iForge fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Dec 7, 2011

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

Reporting back on the Gerber EAB. I like it since it doesnt gum up a lot. But I keep having to tighten the screw that lets the knife open so it doesnt have any slop when fully open. Anyone know if they make a tool to tighten a bolt with 2 notches on each side of it?

Depending on how big it is, you may be able to get away with using a 2 prong security screwdriver bit like THIS:

I also recommend that you get yourself some locktite and you shouldnt have to tighten it ever again.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

If HomeDepot has it, it will be in the general tools section. I have a set of bits from HF like this one and it has a couple different sizes of that style bit. They are pretty decent quality too.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

That is just as bad as using channel locks on a drill because you don't have a chuck key. If you don't care about scaring the tool itself then go for it but I would rather use the proper tool.

<---- Guilty. I use a pipe wrench on my lovely Milwaukee corded hammer drill because I can never remember to pick up a key for it when I'm in the hardware store. This has gone on for atleast 2 months.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Just bought this Milwaukee 18 Volt Lithium Hammer Drill/Driver and Impact Driver Combo at HomeDepot for $229.99. I had a $50.00 gift card from Christmas so that brought it down to $179.99 and I already tested it out on some scrap lumber and concrete block and it is unstoppable. Probably went way past its rating on this, but I ran a 6 inch hole saw through a 2x8 board with no issue. Hammer function works excellent too. Drilled a 6 inch deep x 1/4 inch hole in the concrete block in a matter of 10 seconds. Will be using it at work for the next couple of days so I will report back on it, but based on reviews and my initial testing it seems to be an excellent tool already. My 3 year old DeWalt 18 volt Hammer Drill is wearing out and I wanted to get a more reliable tool. It still spins fine but the hammer function is so worn out that it takes forever to drill into any masonry. Im EXCITED for work tomorrow so I can really put it to the test!

Edit- Bad link. If it goes down again go to HomeDepot's website and copy/paste 202951723 into the search.

iForge fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Mar 6, 2012

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

So I spent the past 2 days drilling 1/4 and 1/2 inch holes in concrete, cinder block, and plaster for anchors to strap up my wire. I'm using the impact gun to run my screws in for the 1 hole straps. All I can say is that its a world of difference compared to my old DeWalt. The drill is fast and incredibly effective and the impact gun has TONS of torque. Way more powerful and MUCH lighter than my DeWalt. The only issue that I have is it only came with one belt hook for 2 tools and I've switched it back and forth a few times. I would rather have 1 hook on each tool.

All in all, the two tools are exceptional and I hope they last me a long time. I would recommend them to any goons needing a quality hammer drill/impact driver set.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

I am a licensed electrician and always hated Milwaukee power tools. The older 18 volt drills were unwieldy as all hell. I have several of the drills in your pic and have to say that drill is one bad motherfucker. I've had the battery literally last a ten-hour day without a swap.

Yeah there is no doubt they are awesome. I was putting lead expansion anchors in the ceiling for 1/4-20 bridle rings and plastic anchors to fasten my boxes and wire to the walls. Ran just under 1000 feet of 14/3 red MC to 15 devices in 2 days. Don't think I could have done it that fast with my old DeWalt... I think I made pretty drat good time considering the amount of obstacles in my way.

iForge fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 9, 2012

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Rodney Chops posted:

I'm re-doing all the floors in my upstairs, switching carpet for click bamboo. Went great, but then I had to put baseboards back on. Putting baseboards back on with a hammer kind of really sucks. (or I really suck at it) So I went to HD to rent a brad nailer. The wanted 35 dollars a day.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/pneumatic-2-in-18-gauge-brad-nailer/813941

You can buy one on sale for $19.88 cad right now. I'm no contractor, but for baseboards this thing has been fantastic! I have no idea what else you would use a brad nailer for.. but it does seem like a good buy, so I thought I would post it. I could not find one that felt this solid for anywhere under $80.

HDX seems to be Home Depot's new "Store Brand." The tools they are selling under the HDX brand are identical in design to the Workforce brand tools they used to/currently sell, just with a slightly different color scheme... Great priced tools for occasional use, but do not expect them to be a long lasting with frequent use.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

kastein posted:

My impression was that they were the same as the Husky line - could be wrong, might be Workforce too, I haven't bought any Workforce products IIRC.

I bought a Workforce screwdriver multipack on sale ($10) a few years ago so I could have some screwdrivers that I didn't mind chiseling with and hammering on. The handles on them are just about identical to the new HDX ones, but instead of gray/yellow on the Workforce ones, the HDX has gray/orange. Im going to Home Depot tomorrow and I will get a closer look at their other products.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

You know, if you're gonna be chiseling things you should probably just buy a chisel. It works a lot better than a screwdriver.

I do electrical work. Its much easier to remove knockouts in panels and boxes with a flathead screwdriver than a chisel. The Klein screwdrivers that I use have a lifetime warranty as long as you don't chisel with them. They won't replace them if the plastic end is mushroomed over. That is why I buy the cheap ones. Because of my metalworking hobby, I probably have more chisels than any one man could ever need, I just prefer the screwdriver for electrical work.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

TyChan posted:

The idea of buying used, good tools from old businesses or something like that always appealed to me. Do you have any suggestions on where I could shop?

I get broken craftsman hand tools at garage sales quite often and turn them in for free replacement. Some thrift stores or estate sale stores may have what you are looking for.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

The reason some stores aren't honoring the lifetime warranty any more is specifically because people like iForge will go and scour garage sales for old/damaged tools and turn in ten at a time for new things they don't really deserve :ssh:

I call shenanigans on this. Its not like I buy them by the gross and turn them in, but I will get them when I see them and turn them in. Nothing wrong with what I'm doing. Unless you can link a news story confirming that there is a huge problem with people turning in broken tools that they bought second hand, I'd pump your brakes on that statement.

If I was doing this to re-sell them, I could see the problem.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

What in the gently caress did I buy today? The (deceased) previous owner was a model maker for Boeing, if that helps any...

Its some kind of mini lathe thing. Probably about 14 inches long overall. It has a pulley for a belt, but also has a hand crank on it too. There is about 2 inches clearance between the chuck and tailstock piece. The frame is brass, the rusty stuff is iron, and the crank handle is wood. The Link below each pic goes to full size image. Anyone ever seen something like this? There are no markings on it to indicate a maker.

http://i.imgur.com/o5TNFOv.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/wYAWX3x.jpg

Edit: Turns out it is a very incomplete watchmaker's lathe. I am going back there Saturday and will look for any other parts for it.

Link to what it is kinda supposed to look like

iForge fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 15, 2013

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

There was some talk of Ridgid warranty stuff on the last page. My one handed sawsall quit working last week and I checked the motor brushes. One of them is worn down to almost nothing, while the other is plenty long. Google tells me that uneven wear is just from uneven spring tension, so there shouldn't be any issues with the saw itself. I put in a support ticket on their website and they are sending me a set of brushes for free under the lifetime warranty. Should be here in a week or so.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

kafkasgoldfish posted:

Did you register your tool beforehand?

I registered it a day or two after I bought it, but it took a solid 2 months for it to show up on my "dashboard" on their site.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

I have to seriously recommend the Milwaukee 18 volt Hackzall to anyone who already has Milwaukee 18v stuff/needs a loving awesome one handed cordless saw. This thing is a loving beast. I picked it up to go with my drill/driver set and finally got to put it to serious work this week. It cuts like a dream and has great battery life compared to other battery saws that I have owned/used. I love the drill-like grip on it. I've been cutting allthread and lots of 3/4 and 1 inch conduit with it and cannot be happier. It is super quiet too which is nice. It costs $100 for just the tool and somewhere between $175-$200 for the tool with battery and charger.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Just a safety reminder for people about how easy it is to hurt yourself with power tools. Today at work I was drilling a 1/4 hole in a bracket and the drill bit caught my glove just as the bit broke through the other side of the bracket and pulled my finger into the path of the bit. The drill bit cut all the way to the bone and shredded flesh and skin. Gloves are mandatory on this job site at all times otherwise I wouldn't have been wearing them.

Be careful around power tools, it is very easy to become complacent around them, but they can still gently caress your day up quick. Be safe!

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

You should maybe talk to your supervisor or foreman or OSHA if you're being required to wear gloves while working with sharp, spinning power tools. That's incredibly unsafe, because of exactly what happened to you today.

I asked about that and was told that the only times you are allowed to take your gloves off are if you are working with adhesive tape or very small screws/hardware that you otherwise couldn't grip. From now on I am taking my gloves off when drilling, etc and show them a pic of the cut on my phone if they bitch at me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

http://www.osha.gov/Publications/woodworking_hazards/osha3157.html

"Protective gloves are the primary means available for direct hand protection. Extra-long gauntlets or sleeves attached to the gloves can extend protection up the arm. However, the appropriateness of glove use in the woodworking workplace should be carefully reviewed on a task-by-task basis. Gloves should not be worn when operating woodworking equipment due to the potential for getting caught in moving parts.

Heavy leather, metal mesh, or gloves may provide protection against cuts, abrasions, and lacerations, but they can also greatly reduce dexterity, possibly leading to a higher frequency of the mishaps they are intended to protect against. Furthermore, no glove will stand up to direct contact with the cutting surfaces of most of your power equipment. For these reasons, engineering and work-practice controls will be your best bet for addressing the hand and arm hazards posed by cutting and shaping equipment."

And right here is exactly your injury: http://www.osha.gov/Publications/OSHA3170/3170-02R-2007-English.html#Hazards28

"Amputations typically occur when the operator's gloves, loose-fitting clothing, or jewelry become entangled in the rotating drill bit. A machinist amputated his left index finger at the first joint while drilling holes in a machined part. As he moved the part to begin drilling another hole, his gloved hand got caught in the drill bit."

Don't let them get away with this, please.

It is the GC's rule not my company's... Thanks for posting that, I will be printing some of that out and will put a copy in my tool bag. If I get yelled at for not wearing the gloves, I will pull out the paperwork.