Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

stuxracer posted:

Yeah those look good. Walmart has them for about half price too. Thanks.

They're taller than your 1.5" height requirement I just noticed, but I'm sure you can find something similar that will fit the bill. I bought those for $5/pack at Target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
I'd imagine you would quickly exceed the duty cycle of an oil-less compressor by doubling the tank size since they arent designed to run continuous. An oiled compressor head with the proper cooling would probably be fine.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Bad Munki posted:

It’d run longer when it does, but it’d cycle less often. I don’t think any compressor that isn’t literal trash would be affected by the slightly longer run time per cycle. That would be some insanely finely tuned failure engineering there.

I guess it all comes down to how much you're using it. If you think manufacturers of home grade tools are making them any more robust than is needed to get them out of warranty liabilities then just LOL, and double (or more) the runtime for double the size tank isnt really slight. Used 80+ gallon compressors can be had here for less than a cheap new one half that size quite often. Just keep an eye out on your local craigslist/gumtree/whatever

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Bad Munki posted:

But it’s not double the runtime, it’s just double the runtime per cycle. The cycles happen half as often. If your compressor overheats and dies because you ran it for two minutes instead of one, it wasn’t going to last even six months anyhow.

If the duty cycle is say 20%, then your max runtime is 12 minutes on and 48 minutes off per run cycle. Now if you start running it for 24 minutes per on cycle, it still is getting twice the run time it is designed for in between cool downs. It isn't a matter of total hours of run= lifetime of the tool, it is total minutes of runtime it is designed for per cycle. Duty cycle is used for many different pieces of equipment. Air compressors and welders are the first two that come to my mind. A tool with a 100% duty cycle is designed for continuous runtime. A tool with a 50% duty cycle is designed for 30 minutes on then 30 minutes off. You are putting the tool through more heat stress than it is designed for in between cool downs You are more than welcome to do this, but my recommendation to buy a better compressor that is designed for your needs still stands as the better option. HTH

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Ferrule posted:

Any experience with either of the Milwaukee cordless vacs? I'm tired of hauling my big shop-vac to jobs (takes up too much space in the truck) unless I know I need the power (bigger demo stuff).

I have plenty of Milwaukee batteries so it seems a good fit. And can they handle sucking up bits of wire, which is mostly what I'd use it for?

edit - or should I just get one of those bucket buddy things?

I have the compact m18 vac, worth the $100 for it for sure. It is dry only and I use it for cleaning up bits of metal from drilling panels, ceiling tile dust, etc. Everything fits in a 5 gallon bucket for storage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

the oldest M18 batteries I have are just under 8 years old and still kicking. they aren't 100% by any means but I still get plenty of life between charges out of them. The biggest thing I notice is that my higher amp draw tools aren't as powerful on the old batteries as the new ones but most of the time they're powerful enough.