Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rat Poisson
Nov 6, 2010

wesleywillis posted:

Rent a cordless sds Max and do all your holes in like 10 minutes.

For 5/8” holes a SDS-plus drill (smaller brother of SDS-Max) would do just fine. I put 3/4” holes in concrete with a cordless M18 sds plus hammer on occasion, and have put hundreds of 5/16” holes in granite with the same drill. Renting a corded SDS drill makes lots of sense for this one job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rat Poisson
Nov 6, 2010

MrAmazing posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions on a Black Friday laser level? Right now I’m leaning towards a Bosch gll30 as the price is good and reviews seem okay.

My use case is predominantly indoors, new closet shelves, pictures and other random wall mounted things. I might try and use it to replace some woodwork around the house but the work I’m thinking of is in a shaded area.

If I end up doing a big project a buddy has a dewalt 165 foot laser level I can borrow, so I don’t need buy once cry once level of quality. It’s just a pain in the rear end to borrow for every small project.

I have what is probably an older model Bosch GLL25, and it's perfectly fine for those sorts of indoor uses like hanging pictures and shelves where you just need a horizontal line along one wall or spanning a corner of two walls. It quickly becomes useless outdoors in daylight, even in cloudy conditions. These things are pretty simple, so a 6-letter brand knock-off from Amazon might also be perfectly adequate (indoors) for less money.

I eventually bought a knock-off 3-plane green laser https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C4NL5LJB/ for larger indoor projects where I want the line to span more than 90 degrees that the GLL25/30 does, and the brighter green lines are really nice.

And I bought a rotating red Bosch 165ft unit with receiver for outdoor projects because that's how these things go.

Rat Poisson
Nov 6, 2010

Motronic posted:

Dunno if there's something newer, but I've been using these: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Feit-Electric-4-ft-64-Watt-Equivalent-Integrated-LED-White-Motion-Shop-Light-with-Remote-SHOP-4-840-MM/319418912 What the hell that's not the same lights I bought not long ago. Why does it have a remote? Why does it cost another $10 more? Why is the one I bought gone? Sorry my post didn't work out. I'm posting it anyway.

Yes that’s the newer version with a motion detector that eventually shuts them off after a while of no motion. They’re “fine”, in that they shut off when someone on my household forgets to switch off the garage lights at the switch, but they do dim after a period of no motion when I’m at the other end of the garage, and then I have to walk over and wave my hands to get them to go back to full power in the area I’m not working. I don’t ever use the remotes, but you can tweak the time out. If you want something that stays on forever, this isn’t it. I have 4 strung together, and they each operate independently, so it’s not like the whole garage goes dim at the same time.

Rat Poisson
Nov 6, 2010

H110Hawk posted:

The instructions for the unit say you press the "Motion Sensors: Off" button on the remote to disable the motion sensors. Did that not work for you? (Or did you file the remote with the instructions like a normal person installing a light bulb?)

In my case I do actually want them to shut off eventually because unnamed members of my household are bad about shutting off the lights when they leave the garage, and it’s a detached garage so I don’t check it as part of my nightly rounds of the house lights. I think I have them set to 30 minute timeout, using the remote, which was then filed away in the instruction bin like a normal person.

Rat Poisson
Nov 6, 2010

H110Hawk posted:

Just checking as this didn't add up with the instructions. So you can disable the motion sensor you just have chosen not to?

Yes, sorry, that function to disable the motion detection is supposedly available. I just haven't used it.