Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

truncated aardvar
Jan 21, 2011

WARNING: Contents may contain traces of nuts.

jackyl posted:

Sweet, I was thinking about posting a question about a tool purchase I am considering, but I'll start with a review first.

I recently purchased a Demel Multi Max from Home Depot, since I was building a set of builtins and wanted a way to cut the existing baseboard and crown out without wrecking the drywall or hardwood I had installed last year. I have no idea how I made do without an oscillating tool before this. It was fantastic and I wish I had gotten one before hardwooding most of my house and cutting door jambs with the standard cut off wheel plus chisel plan. It is also great for cutting electric outlet boxes out of cabinet and thin wood insets.

As far as attachments go, I have just used the flush cut blade, wood / drywall saw blade, and sanding attachments so far but will be using more as I go. I've found that the flush cut blade is just as good as, if not better than, the saw blade, at least for drywall, moldings, and thin wood panels. It cut just as fast and offered tighter control. This is going to definitely become one of my go to tools. Other brands are probably better, but this was an impulse buy that I don't regret.

Iskariot posted:

Fein Multimaster is the same type tool as the Dremel Multi Max but industry quality. Fein sells an even stronger and more expensive version named the Fein SuperCut.

This is really the home improvement super tool. I bought the Top version with several sawblades, some fugue handling accessories, delta sanding plates, dust extraction device and a nice case. Expensive but superb quality.

Some of my future projects around the house include:

- Sanding and refinishing my window and door frames
- Removing the carpet from three bedrooms, the hall and lounge room and replacing with floating flooring, made of either hardwood, decent (thick) hardwood laminate or bamboo.
- Remodelling/re-tiling the bathroom and kitchen

I've never considered (or even been much aware of) these kinds of tools, but upon reading these posts and researching they look awesome and I'll probably pick one up when the time comes. I'll still probably get a random orbital for most of the sanding, but the profile sanding attachment looks pretty good. I wasn't looking forward to cutting the bottom trim from 10 doorways, some of them in really tricky spots, but the flush cut blades look like they'd be a snap. I'm sure there are a hundered different uses I could think of, especially working on stuff that's already in place. Hell, depending on how effective the tool is and where the nails are, I'd now consider trimming the bottom of the baseboard in place rather than prying it off and reattaching it on the wall to fit the flooring underneath.

Considering the amount of work I'd be doing would I be happy with the Dremel or should I upgrade to the Fein? If the Fein is going to last a lifetime I'm happy to pay the extra.

I don't consider Dremel a budget brand at all, mostly because I lusted after their rotary tool years ago when I was much poorer - I settled for a cheap knock off which hasn't served me too badly when I work around its limitations. As an aside, just looking around now the prices of the Dremel rotary tools seem to have come down in the last 10 years or so but that might be an illusion brought on by me being a little less poor than I used to be. I'm guessing the country of manufacture may have changed too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

truncated aardvar
Jan 21, 2011

Thanks for that.

I still like the look of the Fein - the tooless changing of bit is almost worth the extra price of admission alone.

I looks like I'll be importing since the price difference is staggering between what I can find as a 'good' price in Australia and what I could find in the UK. Even factoring in freight (which will be largish due to the big case) and a new plug, I'll still be well ahead.

(EDIT) - ordered. They're going to advise me on freight costs before shipping.

truncated aardvar fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 12, 2011

truncated aardvar
Jan 21, 2011

I had no idea tools were so expensive in Norway - it's so close to everywhere, at least from an Aussie perspective. Comes from living in such a large country I guess. Looking at it on the map now it is deceptively large and the overland route to Europe looks like a bitch.

I feel for you on tool prices - I'm currently tracking that multimaster you kindly linked me to. It cost me £69 ($110) in shipping but I'm still saving at least $200. I might have even gotten it cheaper from the US but I was after a 240v unit. Here in Australia you don't pay the 10% GST on anything under $1000 when you import, which contributes to the savings.

Tools from Asia aren't so bad though - that MLT100 is only marginally cheaper in the UK than it is here. I guess if you can import container loads of stuff that sells in large quantities in Bunnings (our Lowes) then the prices come down.

On an aside note, I do love tracking parcels from overseas. It's like I get to go on holidays vicariously through my parcels :) Who wouldn't want to visit TNT's Liege Euro Hub in Belgium? Sounds exciting, although my impression of Belgium after driving through it to get to Amsterdam is just lots of flat. I have another parcel that just went through Memphis - the ghost of Evlis has laid down some good joojoo on my stuff.

truncated aardvar fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 17, 2011

truncated aardvar
Jan 21, 2011

I want to put a shout out to my Stanley ratchet screwdriver...

They can be had for very cheap but it comes with a tonne of bits, most of which stay on the tool, and it has never failed me. I only need this as my only screw driver unless there's a need for one that's very short or very skinny. It's probably my most used tool.

Also, I got my Fein Multimaster a week ago and it's already seen some unexpected action. I cut through six metres of lattice in my yard in a couple of minutes with the included wood blade today. I was contemplating using a circular saw in a dangerous manner but then I remembered my expensive new toy. I also cut away some mild steel surround (like colour bond fencing frame) so I could get to a screw head.

I did manage to flip the quick release lever onto my knuckle which is quite bruised now and I'm having trouble bending that finger - an unforeseen danger. I'll keep my hand well down the body when I do this from now on! Luckily I have a fridge full of anaesthetic.

inspire posted:

Professional but it's a one off thing. A few days work out on the water with no access to power. It's mostly a hand tool job and I would get a few batteries to keep going. I have intentions of moving overseas so don't really want to build up a stock of power tools.

If you're getting a stack of batteries it may pay to get something decent, since you'll be able to use those batteries on other tools when you move. Keep in mind the voltage difference in your new country and the possible need to purchase a new charger if it doesn't come dual voltage.

Of course if you want a throw away solution, then Ryobi isn't bad.

truncated aardvar
Jan 21, 2011

I'm waiting for my 18 year old Makita hammer drill to die, or even to show some sign of underperformance, so I can get a new one with a keyless chuck. It doesn't look promising.

truncated aardvar
Jan 21, 2011

Following on from my posts in the woodworking thread, I had some big rail road ties, a.k.a. sleepers, to cut up. I had cut up the smallest one with a circular saw but it was an arduous task and I ended up with some big chunks because it took so long to cut through. I also have a heap of similar ties, a.k.a. sleepers, in the retaining wall in the front that I want to replace at some point this year, so I needed something to help me cut them up in place because they're so heavy to lug around. So I decided to delve into the world of chainsaws. I got my redneck on, but in a totally espresso sipping, suburban kind of way. I got an electric chainsaw.

Makita UC3520A - 350mm blade, 1800W motor.

It did the job swimmingly but it needs a sharpen and I still have three cuts to go, since the last two cuts I did were getting hard and making a lot of smoke I decided to stop. I guess that medium diameter nail I cut half way through didn't help either :dance:

I went back to the hardware store where I bought it 10 minutes before closing to get a file but they didn't have the specified size. I'll have to wait until next weekend now since I'm helping my dad move 4 tonne of gravel and pebbles tomorrow so I won't have time.

Anyway, for the price of AU$167 it worked pretty well. It cut through the very hard wood quite effortlessly - I couldn't make a mark in the wood with my thumbnail it was that hard. Because it was so easy I made a lot of cuts to get my pieces nice and small for stealth disposal. If it wasn't potentially hazardous I could give it away for firewood. I've never used a chainsaw before but I was surprised that a cheapish box store bought electric chainsaw could be so effective. It was quiet enough too that I didn't need ear protection.

Delivery McGee posted:

Remember my old-rear end Bosch drill? I put it to some actual use today. Despite being fairly underpowered by modern standards with its 3.3A motor, it snapped a 7/32" and the next size down drill bit, as well as twisting the head right off a wood screw. It's powerful enough for my purposes.

Time for some harder bits. What on earth were you drilling?

truncated aardvar fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Mar 12, 2011

truncated aardvar
Jan 21, 2011

Double post :(

truncated aardvar
Jan 21, 2011

MrPete posted:

Sup fellow Bunnings shopper! I have one of those Makita saws on my list to buy next week. Got half a camphor laurel tree worth of logs to cut up for lathing :D

Hi five!

Beware, the specified 4.5mm sharpening file was a little tough to find.

truncated aardvar
Jan 21, 2011

Jet Ready Go posted:

I can't check that site until I get home, but was wondering if this can fit the bill:

http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-300-1-24-Variable-Speed-Rotary/dp/B002BAHFBE/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1300756438&sr=1-2

Should be fine - that model has variable speed, which comes in handy with plastics, as they can behave quite badly if you cut them at the wrong speed. The model above it has electronically controlled speed, but I don't think that's necessary.

truncated aardvar
Jan 21, 2011

I'm looking at a drill bit sharpener. I'm looking at Drill Doctor - anything else I should consider?

truncated aardvar
Jan 21, 2011

Sorted then - thanks!

truncated aardvar
Jan 21, 2011

Anybody have any any experience with cordless reciprocating (sabre) saws?

I want to get one for work, where we often have to break down transport crates for personal watercraft, ATVs, etc. - like the one pictured below.

They're basically cheap pine frames - I'm after something cordless that will quickly cut through each member so that the guys aren't wasting time and effort doing this lovely job. The other option is a small chainsaw, but I want something that is a little safer and is easy to maintain. Will a cordless do the job and can anyone recommend a brand and or model?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

truncated aardvar
Jan 21, 2011

Thanks for the replies guys - I like buying tools, especially when it's not my money :)