Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Circus Pies!
Feb 11, 2011

I thought you were getting me a pie shaped like a clown, instead you mangled my dick!
I've had an 18 volt Dewalt drill for 5 years and use it at least 3 times a week on average. The batteries still hold just as much charge as when I first bought it. I think it might have something to do with the fact that the drill came with 2 batteries and I also have an 18 volt cordless circular saw so my batteries don't get charged twice in a row.

I have quite a few cheep Harbor Freight tools that I use quite often but I use my drill more than any other tool I have so I would recommend not cheeping out on a drill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Circus Pies!
Feb 11, 2011

I thought you were getting me a pie shaped like a clown, instead you mangled my dick!
The Avanti Pro 8 In. x 24 Tooth Stacked Dado Set from Lowes or Home Depot that costs about $50 is utter crap. Surprise surprise!

Circus Pies!
Feb 11, 2011

stubblyhead posted:

Would that be this one?

I am pretty sure it is. I have it and it really is a lot more saw than it's size would lead you to believe. Just as powerful as a full sized Saws All with more precise control.

Circus Pies!
Feb 11, 2011

GEMorris posted:

This is the major point, while this discussion is going to get poo poo up with a ton of extraneous info, this is the point Nerobro is trying to make.

And he is completely correct. You can certainly make dado crosscut groove and rip cuts on a Radial Arm saw. A bandsaw can be an amazing tool for ripping and when properly configured a single quick pass over a jointer will give you a surface cleaner than that from a table saw.

What I got out of that was that you can make dado crosscut groove and rip cuts with a table saw rather than occupying twice the space with a radial arm saw and a band saw.

Get what works for you.

Circus Pies!
Feb 11, 2011

GEMorris posted:

So you crosscut 10' 2x4's on your table saw?

No no no, I do that with my miter saw. I've only worked at one shop that had a RAS and no one ever used it, I gave it a shot and it did pretty good but nothing I couldn't do with a table saw so I ended up only using it if someone else was on the table saw or miter saw and I needed to cross cut something. I'm not saying to not buy one but I just don't care for them.

Circus Pies! fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jun 2, 2011

Circus Pies!
Feb 11, 2011

GEMorris posted:

Are you a RAS salesman? I just don't like them.

Sorry.

Circus Pies!
Feb 11, 2011

Paint thinner won't clean that stuff off your skin, you'l need to use gasoline.

Circus Pies!
Feb 11, 2011

From what I remember it would have been pretty much the same.

Circus Pies!
Feb 11, 2011

I didn't realize we were talking about the battle, I was talking about the torture and execution.

As far as clamps go, I have really been pleasantly surprised by the four grey adjustable steel bar clamps I got for $5.00 at big lots almost 3 years ago. I think the only packaging was a zip tie.

Circus Pies!
Feb 11, 2011

I'm looking for the bets bench top drill press that <$200 can buy. I'm mainly going to use it for wood and a little aluminum and I don't mind it taking all day to drill through 1/8 steel as long as it will do it. Anyone know what I should look for?

Circus Pies!
Feb 11, 2011

Iskariot posted:

(hotlinking from Toolstop so if no images appear, yell at me and I'll host them)

Image leaching is a big no no here.

Circus Pies!
Feb 11, 2011

Well gently caress, I've been robbed.

I went out to my garage today for the first time since last weekend to find the place completely turned upside down. I stood there for a few minuets completely dumbfounded, like my brain would not accept what I was seeing. This really sucks. So far I've been able to determine that they got:

RYOBI bench top drill press
RYOBI bench top band saw
RYOBI trim router
RIDGID reciprocating saw
RIDGID Random orbit sander
CRAFTSMAN Router attached to a 18’ X 18” square of 1/2” thick MDF board
DEWALT 12v cordless drill
DEWALT 12v cordless impact driver
DEWALT 18v cordless circular saw
DEWALT tool bag full of bits, sockets and other small tools
Black tool bag(s) full of bits, sockets and other small tools

Who says living in the country is safe? People who are loving wrong, that's who!

If you live around Nashville, TN and hear about someone selling this kind of stuff call the police.

Circus Pies! fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Dec 11, 2011

Circus Pies!
Feb 11, 2011

Iskariot posted:

Sorry to hear that. I've been meaning to engrave my initials on my tools for a while now and stories like this moves it further up on the TODO list.

Hope your insurance works out and you can get newer and better replacements.

What is this insurance thing you speak of?

Go engrave your poo poo now! Spray paint it all pink and purple while your at it. I'm thinking of painting everything Harbor Freight orange because they left the harbor freight stuff i have. :haw:

Circus Pies!
Feb 11, 2011

What could possibly be dangerous about a box cutter that you have to slash through the air to extend the blade?

Circus Pies!
Feb 11, 2011

I don't have Hands on experience with them, but the Home depot has a couple of options that look like they would fit what you need. I've never tried one because I have never had the need for one but they are inexpensive enough to buy one and throw it in the back of the tool box if you don't like it.

Circus Pies!
Feb 11, 2011

wormil posted:

Sometimes it seems the more I sand, the more defects I uncover and need to sand out.

Those aren't defects, thats character god drat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Circus Pies!
Feb 11, 2011

My eyesight is going bad and I am going to need glasses so I thought I would ask if anyone has any suggestions for glasses that will stand up to workshop conditions.