Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
If you are starting with Dewalt I would recommend trying find a kit or deal that comes with a flexvolt battery. The retail pricing on flexvolt batteries is brutal but the pricing on the 60v tools isn’t bad. The standard charger for flexvolt batteries is also better.

Dewalt and Mikta had the best selection of outdoor power tools last time I looked. You can get lawnmower that runs on drill batteries now lol. Do you have strong preference on jig saw styles? Barrel vs Trigger? Dewalt makes both not sure about the other brands.

Doubling down on the friends and family tie breaker. I bought a kit that was on sale and gave my dad the tools I had duplicates of for Christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

That Works posted:

Anyone have a cordless dremel / dremel-like tool that they recommend?

Primary use would be trimming my dogs claws. He is too wary of the hand clippers and they still sometimes draw blood :cry:

Dremel sells couple packages just for pets. I have the $30 one, It’s really just a cheap dremel with 2 speed options and a couple sanding bands. Works well enough, but I never used it for anything besides pet nails.

Edit: took a couple weeks of training with treats for the dogs to tolerate it. We didn’t even turn it one for at least a week just touched it to their nails and gave them treats for a while.

Calidus fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 13, 2022

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

SpeedFreek posted:

Whats the weight of the Dewalt chainsaw like? I picked up the Milwaukee saw without battery and it felt like it could be one handed, I already have a big Stihl and need a limbing saw after my little husky wore out.

The 12” 20v chainsaw saw can be seen one handed, the bigger flexvolt one probably not. That said I love my Dewalt pole saw that thing is champ bonus point for being able to switch the head to a 22” hedge trimmer.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I have the 996, metal chuck is nice upgrade. I used the hammer function to drill through brick to install an exterior outlet. It worked but I am renting a SDS next time I need a hole bigger than 1/2”.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I own a bunch of Dewalt 20v and 60v hand tools. How good is the quick connect dust collection system? Right now I just connect my shop vac to whatever via a rubber plumbing connector. It works fine but a 2 1/2” hose that’s only 8ft long is kinda annoying.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

That Works posted:

I have a quick connect thing on my Dewalt corded sander and a Dewalt shop vac. The connector works well on the sander, the shop vac hose though just sleeve fits onto the connector so it can still slide off if you pull it away too far or too fast. If you already have something from your dust collection that fits and its not completely annoying to deal with I probably wouldn't bother.

I had the idea of buying the Dewalt replacement hose with the connector($45) then attach that to a cyclone separator on 5 gallon bucket.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

There are lots to tools/jigs available from kreg, bora and various other brands to make using a circular saw closer to a track saw and a table saw. They seem really nice but if buy one or two of them I am already half way to the 8 1/4 Dewalt table saw($300) which has a pretty nice fence for cheap table saw.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

The 10” Dewalt table saw looks like it’s getting harder to find. I have found 2 with in an hour drive. Bigger blade and the ability to hold a dado stack seems like the major difference between it and the new 8 1/4 saws. I am kinda tempted to go find one now while I still can.

I have poked around online and found a bunch of used sears craftsman saws for $75 to $150. Having a crap fence that I need to replace day 1 makes idea less appealing. That said I am kinda considering buying this for $75, it’s got a rack and pinion fence.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Literally A Person posted:

OMG Buy that loving saw or I will find you.

I am ignorant what did find? It’s a craftsman 113.27700 saw. I just thought it looked like tank and fence looks usable.

Calidus fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 20, 2022

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Danhenge posted:

Needs or splitter or something yesterday though

This one of major concerns with buying an older used saw. In theory it’s just making a new insert and buy a $40 splitter kit.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Dewalt does the same thing, it puts two big 20v in their mowers rather than flexvolts.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I got the table saw, an extra motor and old delta drill press delivered for $80 total lol. Saw works but the wiring is loving terrifying. Someone put a suicide cord in it to connect the motor to the switch. The plugs in the Switch are expected those straight cut copper prong from the 60s.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Mr. Mambold posted:

That's from when "solid as Sears" meant something. Honestly, I'd say 60's and a classic.

Some light googling says the saw design is from the late 40s but who knows when it was actually manufactured. It also looks the saw originally had a 8” blade. So I probably replace this existing 10” blade.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Took me 30 minutes to fix the worst of the wiring. I still might replace it all so it has proper ground wires between the switch and the motor. Thought at that point it’s probably easier to just buy a switch from Rockler and disconnect the original. The saw blade is an 8” blade and looks like poo poo, it’s probably due for a replacement learning to sharpen saw blades isn’t on my list right now.

The previous owner(now deceased, bought it from his grandson) replaced the motor. I have the newer motor and the original. The newer motor which is attached to the saw has a smaller pully(2 1/2) on it compared to the original 3” pully.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Back to table saw time:

- It looks like sawStops blade guards/splitters would fit the internals. The dust collection one looks nice but not $150 nice.
- It’s currently taking a bath in WD40.
- Range of motion seems good but getting from 35 to 45 degrees is rough.
- The rack and pinion fence works but the far end tends to get out of square but I think that is mostly due to gunk and things not sliding.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Progress

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Oh course less than 48 hours after I buy a saw some listing a 3 hp craftsman with bessy T Square fence for $300.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Amazon Basics Hand Planes exist lol

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

A cheap set of foldable plastic horses is nice to have around.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I am going launch my framing square into the sun. Why does this thing have 10th of inch on one side? Who the uses 10th of an inch? I know 1000th is used in manufacturing but who is using 10th of inch.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Anyone have recommendations for casters? There expensive stuff, and random cheap stuff from Amazon/eBay.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I was thinking about putting some on a plywood tool chest. Figured I should ask around before I bought random junk from the internet.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Dewalt needs a power stack flexvolt. I would actually be interested in that.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

anyone have any experience w the Kreg accucut saw track?

I think the bora NGX system is better, it supports a router and an t square. That said I haven’t pulled the trigger to buy either of them.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I just use a 72” straight edge I found at lowes on clearance. There also numerous videos on making your own with t track and plywood.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Anyone bought one of those knock off flashlights that work with Dewalt batteries? I can’t justify retail pricing on the Dewalt lights. I keep my 20v max batteries charged, checking the battery status and location of flashlights in my house is a pita.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I swear Home Depot is hilarious incompetent when it comes to online orders. I have an angle grinder because my wife ordered $40 worth of Christmas lights.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Magnetic combination square vs traditional combination square?

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I have Bostitch labeled version of that Portal Cable compressor. It’s loud as poo poo but it works. Having a air compressor just for a nailer is annoying in my garage. Pneumatic tools are awesome if have a nice setup with drops and/or retractable hoses. I kinda wish I just overpaid for an electric nailer.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I am intrigued by wall mount shop vacs. I already have one shop vac, but moving it around between my tools is annoying, and I would really like to have a hose above my work piece rather than below it. Mounting one near my work bench then having another on wheels seems ideal. My work space is in my garage and I can’t really justify setting up a dust collection system.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I replaced the switch in the used drill press I bought. It works now. I just noticed it doesn’t have a keyless chuck. I am pretty sure I don’t have a key and I am not sure if I have ever use a drill without a keyless chuck.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stupid question Is 3/4 the diameter of hole/key? Or the gear?

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

sharkytm posted:

The chuck should have the key size listed. If not, then it's measure and guess time.

Found a part number of chuck which lead me to the correct size, thanks!

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Dewalt is coming out with a 20” flexvolt chain saw, this thing looks like a beast.

https://www.acmetools.com/dewalt-60...edium=affiliate

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Drill press repair and clean up is going well. You can still see the marks from the original machining process in this first pic.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I have almost no need for it, my polesaw handles most things well enough but it does sound really good.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I found a couple vacuum switches in the $50-70 range but they all only have a single tool plug. I could add run a outlet/splitter off that single plug since I won’t be using multiple tools at the same time. I have also seen various remote control options. Remote control gives me more control but then I actually have to remember to press the button.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I am getting back into restoring the old table saw that I bought. It will never do a 45 degree miter unless I completely disassemble this thing. I am not 100% confident I can get back together. I also need to put about $200 worth of parts into it.

- Safety Switch and plug $35
- Splitter/blade guard $50
- New belt $35
- 8” blade $45
- random stuff $35

It has me wonder if I should just save up for a new saw. I could go get the delta contractor saw with a nice fence for $700. Which leads me to another question how much of the price of a SawStop is the safety system? Is contractor saw a $1000 saw with a $1000 safe system?

My current comedy idea is trip out the intervals of the old saw and see if I can turn it into a router table.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Dewalt now sells a mower kit with two 12ah flexvolt batteries for $750. The push mower with two 10 ah 20v batteries for $400 is probably a better deal but I am intrigued.

Edit: the mower has bigger wheels in back and is RWD that is nice

Calidus fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I hoping 3 generations is enough for them to have something competent. My toro died last year and I don’t want another battery system and I really don’t want go back to gas.