Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
It'd be easy to slag this thing, but drat, they are asking for it. Tech guys coming up with an expensive solution for a non-existent or already solved problem. Including an app and always-on connectivity because it's perfectly sensible for your drill to stop working when the servers inevitably shut down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
They usually won't let you. Not even if you say pretty please with sugar on top :(.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
I prefer my end to come swift and by super-sonic shrapnel, not some exciting form of cancer years down the line by means of tasty, tasty toxic smoke, but to each their own I guess.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
I got one of those corded Proxxon rotaries from an acquaintance some time ago, practically new. Can't recall from memory which exact model (IBS something I think), but it's been thoroughly OK for something that retails at 80ish euros and is used very occasionally.

Also lmao at taking a the tool "advice" of rich guy like Adam "uses a brand-new Kurt vice like an arbor press" Savage seriously.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Degloving, but now as a safety feature.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
They're a weird height for sure. Not quite bench height, no quite knee height (where I like to have my saw benches), but something in between? Also, seconding the engineering, it's just a weirdly wasteful design that probably isn't even as strong as a conventional saw bench. Timber framing may use a shitton of big members, but as you work them individually, you won't have more than what, 100ish kg on them at a time? At least that's my experience, built some saw benches after an old episode of the Woodwright's Shop out of 2x4s, and those held up fine chopping out mortises in 6x6 posts with the added weight of me sitting on them too.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
I don't know what you're complaining about. Straight 2x4s are in the next aisle over from the unicorn saddles.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I think Bosch more than other companies sells a cheaper and lower quality line at the big box stores to compete at that price point and sells their higher quality stuff through more specialty dealers. You can get a $120 Bosch jigsaw at Lowe’s that’s made in China or Malaysia and is fine but not great, or if you look around you can still get a really nice $250 Bosch jigsaw that’s made in the EU.

I don’t think DeWalt at least really does that-the decent table saw they sell at Lowe’s is the one they make, and you won’t find a nicer version of it at a tools dealer.

I don't know about the US, but over here in Europe we have basically two flavors of Bosch. The cheaper and fine for most things that come in green, and the more expensive pro stuff that comes in blue. Usually referred to as Bosch green and Bosch blue.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass

Literally A Person posted:

Neighborhood skid steer just made a delivery:

Blade spins freely and the motor still runs. A pretty cool piece. Time to make it beautiful again!

Can't get tetanus if your fingers are mince meat. Equally neat and terrifying.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Pounding meat with homegrown means has a certain je ne sais quoi that you can't get elsewhere.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
There is a certain market for metal machining precision woodworking machines (ie people with both severe engineer brain and a lot of money). It's not a big market though. For most applications it's just an unneeded expense and/or thing that can break, and most people who actually understand that wood is an inherently unstable material know it's just folly to chase thousands precision. Not to mention that even with handtools you can hit 0.5 mm precision with some practice & experience.

edit: beaten like a cheap chisel

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
If you go back a few years one topic that came up constantly with regards to table saws (at least the ones with a price tag most mortals can actually afford, not second mortgage SCMs) is that fences rarely locked down parallel reliably. Still an issue probably on most cheaper ones. In a field where everything is cost-engineered to meet a certain price tag features like servo control are a pipe-dream outside the industrial production machines KS mentions where it is a hard requirement.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
I'd liken the "buy a battery, get a tool for free"-scheme more to printer companies and inkjets than disposable razor companies, but it certainly has lead to a rash of increasingly questionably useful cordless tools whose purpose seems to be largely generating revenue instead of fulfilling a genuine need.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass

HolHorsejob posted:

Can anyone recommend good needle files? Not top of the line, but a good & reasonably affordable brand.

Bahco and Pferd do good files at reasonable prices, though I have no idea if those are available in your neck of the woods. Vallorbe/Grobet needle files are the tits, and at least their saw files are (or at least were when I last bought some), quite reasonably priced.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
I can't in good conscience use anything but slotted screws to install hinges etc. on actual wood furniture. Anything just doesn't look right.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
I forget where it was, but I've seen people use a power planer to do the rough flattening of glued up assemblies like table tops. Traversing with a jack plane basically, except powered.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
That's the video I was thinking of, but when I said jack plane, I meant exactly that. Scrub planes are a tad too narrow and short for my liking when it comes to flattening rough sawn boards or assemblies.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
One for each business day of the week?

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Liquid hide glue is just regular old hide glue with some additive (urea typically, or salt) to lower the gel point so it's liquid at lower temperatures, say 40ish C instead of 60C, at the cost of some final strength and shelf life. Titebond uses some weird poo poo instead to make it liquid at room temp (apparently) which may or may not affect reversibility, transparency to finishes, or strength. There's a PDF floating around somewhere on W. Patrick Edwards site I think with the nitty gritty if you're interested in mixing up your liquid hide glue. Or just buy Old Brown Glue, which is just hide glue with some urea mixed in for you.

Just Winging It fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 24, 2024

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass

FISHMANPET posted:

Why on earth would I want to listen to someone monologue at me for 15 minutes when I could read even a poorly edited article in like... 1 minute.

Truly I will never understand YouTube and its appeal to anybody for anything.

Truly. But also, people really ought to consider if they need a table saw in the first place. From watching Youtube you'd think you need one just to get out of bed in the morning, let alone do any woodworking, but you really don't. There's many ways to do it that don't require a surface to fill with crap and take up most of the garage table saw, as heretical as that might sound to some people.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Man wouldn't it be sweet if there was some bygone era where woodworking youtube and the hobby magazines before them were about all the ways to use a pile of dead sanding belts and/or how to run a real business and not, like, a festool circus and someone's cool trick where they take 700 hours to make a kind of coffee table it's normally impractical to manufacture

There's always been a huge disconnect between production woodworking , where a table saw means the capacity to bang through a thousand-plus extra bucks of work a week and a one-time $300 expense is nothing unless your existing plan is to just fire anyone who gets injured, and hobbyist woodworking, where office guys who make more adjusting spreadsheets than anyone who doesn't own a large factory will ever make in professional woodworking blow all their discretionary money on toys to produce the type and quantity of stuff they could honestly get done just fine with a hand saw and chisel, except they don't want to. From what I can tell the latter by and large are starting to reevaluate whether they really need a table saw and determining that no, what they really need is a 4x8 CNC router

Sensible thinking. Flattening big stock is just impossible without a 4x8 CNC router. Or any stock really. Who needs a jointer and thicknesser when you can use a CNC?

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Those Hammer combo-machines always intrigued me, Felder means the quality ought to be decent. Pity I don't have any doctors/dentists selling workshops for pennies on the dollar near me to find out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Famag is the good poo poo, but it's a German manufacturer so I have no idea if they're sold in your part of the world.