Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Any battery powered (also probably any corded) hammer drill is gonna struggle with concrete. It'll do just fine on brick though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Bad Munki posted:

Man, I put a 1" hole through a 6" poured concrete wall with my 18V (nicad) dewalt hammer/driver combo drill, it went fine. It wasn't as fast as a rotary hammer, god bless, but it still went and I don't have any awful memories of the process. For smaller holes like you'd be doing for hanging pictures and shelves, it's just fine.
My 18v Ridgid hammer drill failed to put a small (Probably 1/4" ish, I forget) hole into a concrete window sill on my house. Either you have a better drill, or I have better concrete.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Bad Munki posted:

Were you using an old bit maybe? The one I used when doing the aforementioned large hole was brand new bought for that purpose, I'm sure that helped a ton.

Of course, I recently inherited my father's corded makita rotary hammer, so I won't be loving around in the future. There is absolutely a world of different between a combo hammer drill, and an actual honest-to-god rotary hammer.
Been awhile, but it probably wasn't a brand new bit. But I'd also be surprised if any masonry bit I own has been used more than a few times. My best guess would be it just comes down to density/composition of the concrete in question.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

B-Nasty posted:

Why? This seems to be a hotly debated topic with no clear winner.

I don't necessarily pump it up to leave it, but I also don't go out of my way to bleed the existing pressure. As long as I'm not worried about a rupture (e.g. not in a vehicle or next to my body), I don't see the big deal.
I've honestly never seen it debated except perhaps with huge tanks like you'd have at a mechanics garage. A small tank that a homeowner will only use periodically? Why let condensate sit in it for even a brief period of time?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

for sure borrow one if you can, get earplugs AND a headset and see if it helps. 52 6"cuts to completely dead makes me think its cutting poorly around 40 and that is not very long :/ sorry to be a downer
I wouldn't be so sure about that. Lithium Ions don't tend to peter out like nicads. Unless something's gone wrong, it should operate at 100% until it's dead.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

bobua posted:

I'm pretty much 100% makita but when I was 8 and my dad was building a shed he had one nice power tool and it was a makita corded drill and my grandpa mentioned something about how solid makita was and I think that was my power tool version of my first playboy type thing. My preferences will forever be based on November of 93's centerfold's breasts.
The only tape measures I use are the lovely, cheap silver Stanley ones because that's what my dad used when I was growing up. Like, I know there are better ones, but I can't bring myself to buy them.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Ok, now someone explain how he's using a garage door opener as a battery charger.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Raised by Hamsters posted:

Did that two years ago, and this year I went all in on the battery lawn mower. Do not regret the decision at all.

Somehow I doubt the battery snow blowers will cut it, though, so I'm still stuck with a gas can.

At the girlfriend's request, I bought the ryobi 40v mower, and despite over a decade of avoiding ryobi tools, I have to say I'm impressed. Whisper quiet, mulches well, and it's so light that it's absolutely effortless to mow with. They have a self propelled version, and I can't figure out why you'd need it.

Only issue is battery life, at about half an hour. I only use it for my front yard, which is a pain to do with my riding mower. Anyone that's doing their front and back lawn would have to hussle or buy a spare 150 dollar battery.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Bad Munki posted:

. Ignore the 18' reach horse poo poo, that requires it being fully extended, at which point good luck actually propping it up, especially indoors. I managed to do it in my workshop, once. It was awkward af, and rickety as hell once I got up there. I went and bought an extension ladder the following week.
That, and the fine print on that '18 feet' is that's how high a person can reach when standing on the fully extended ladder, which is itself not 18 feet tall. A minor issue, but annoying when you go to prop it against your 17 foot high roofline and it doesn't reach...

I really only use mine for the ability to set it up on stairs. Otherwise, it's never worth the trouble of setting it up.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

(Secondary question: why the gently caress do these smell so bad?)
I'm pretty sure I know the exact smell you're talking about, having smelled it in a handful of old toolboxes. I don't know what the deal is, but I honestly sort of like it. One of those smells where you're like, "Gross... I'm gonna take another whiff though"

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

French Canadian posted:

What's the deal with aligning a miter saw? I have one and I'm positive it cuts 45s improperly.

Your owners manual will have exact instructions, but essentially you just use a square to make sure that the blade is, well, square with the fence. I'd give a better explanation, but the process is slightly different with every saw. If you've never done it though, yeah, you're probably not imagining things, it probably isn't square from the factory.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

I'm liking my ryobi 40v mower a lot. About half hour run time though, so if that won't work for you, be aware. The ego stuff seems to be about double the runtime (and cost).

Standard ryobi warnings apply. Some parts seem cheap and I'm sort of waiting for them to fail (the mulch plug seems to want to crack when installing/removing, the 'clamps' that lock the handle bars folded/unfolded seem cheap, etc). The bulk of the mower seems fairly reliable though. I expect it to be running 5 years from now, but with duct tape on a couple parts, you know?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

I run a mish mash of ridgid, ryobi, and dewalt. And a hilti. I couldn't possibly find a difference in quality between my dewalt and ridgid tools if I tried. My ryobis are typically garbage with a few exceptions, and my Hilti impact drill is my favorite tool ever. Both batteries are still going strong after about 10 years of use.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

MRC48B posted:

do those still work on disposable cartridges?

I thought they invented one that was re-useable.

Bosch had one that simply dropped the blade below the table instantly, but I think SawStop sued it away.

Edit: Apparently the lawsuit is still going, and Bosch is still selling it.

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jan 29, 2019

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Platystemon posted:

Didn’t the inventor try to license the technology to established saw manufacturers and they told him to gently caress off so he started his own company?
Yes, but with a huge but. Essentially, he wanted a not insignificant percentage of every saw sold in perpetuity. He then started pushing for legislation to make it illegal to sell a saw without his technology after they all told him to gently caress off.

The guy has always struck me as a bit of a dick. It's fine if he wants to save people's fingers, but then be a bit more reasonable with your licensing expectations. And alternatively, it's fine if you wanna get filthy rich off your invention, but then stop trying to legally mandate your richness under the guise of being worried about people's fingers.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

I was using my table saw a couple months ago and noticed blood on my workpiece. Looked over my hands and noticed a skin deep cut the exact width of the blade kerf. Still not sure how I managed that one.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Hey what’s a good oscillating multitool that won’t break the bank? Looking for sub-$100 if possible, corded or battery.

About to purchase a house and have a lot of small jobs that will need to be tackled.
I have a cheap corded craftsman one that has never failed me. My opinion is it's the type of tool where the quality of the blade is gonna make more difference than quality of the tool.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Anything that has a shaft over like 1/4" should be pre-drilled to like 1-2 letter sizes under the minor diameter in woods to prevent the entire thing splitting like a melon.
To be fair, he did say spax, which are self drilling.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Pershing posted:

Do we have a thread for lawnmowers? Is this it? I'm going to replace my ancient Poulan and I'm thinking about going with a battery powered one. Is this a terrible idea?
I absolutely love my ryobi electric mower, but yeah, it's not for bigger yards. I get about half an hour of use off the battery. It's light as a feather though, effortless to push, and quiet enough that I can mow whatever time of day I like. Mulches very well.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'll third that. Pull the trigger and just zip that thing through the wood, especially if you're using a screw head that doesn't cam out (torx, square, etc.). The only problem with them is that they're so good at driving that you may get lazy about drilling pilot holes and end up splitting the lumber. :v:
That's why you just use spax for everything.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

He didn't say it wasn't an elaborate joke.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

wandler20 posted:

Any recommendations for a miter saw stand?
I've been really happy with the Ridgid AC9946. Solid, folds and unfolds very smoothly, good work piece support, huge wheels for uneven terrain/bumping up and down stairs. It *is* pricey though. I picked it up for 50% off a couple black fridays ago.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

stealie72 posted:

Midwestern tool goons: what's the verdict on Menards? One just opened about a half hour from me so I stopped in yesterday when my kid had a game in the vicinity. Its huge and has tons of stuff, but I'm a little turned off that a ton of it is brands I've never seen, and they lack in a lot of the brand name home store staples (like dewalt and Milwaukee, but I did see a good bit of Hitachi). Even their nails and screws were a brand ive never heard of.

Are they selling the same chinese stuff as everyone else in a different package? Are they an off-brand on the Spectrum with Harbor Freight? What's their deal?
Lumber is way cheaper than Home Depot, similar quality. Tools are mainly garbage. Layout is..... labyrinthine. Some have an actual live pianist on the weekend, which is wildly unnecessary. All in all, Menards is just weird as poo poo, but will usually have whatever you weren't able to find at Home Depot.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Motronic posted:

This is very much not a glowing endorsement.

I got so tired of sorting through a pile of tubafers that I've stopped even bothering and just go to the real lumberyard and pay more for non-reject lumber.
Oh, for sure, but most people are buying lumber in small enough quantities that sitting and sorting boards isn't that big a deal. If I need 8 2x4s, I'm hitting up Menards.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

kid sinister posted:

You know, I have never looked through my shed and thought, "boy, I could really use that against government oppression."
I can't even imagine another reason to own a pole saw.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Motronic posted:

I bought a new tractor and plow this week. I'll assume little snow in our general area (I'm in eastern PA) is entirely based on the two of us.

When I bought my snowblower everyone was like "pfft, watch, now that you bought one it'll never snow again". Which, like, good? If spending 600 bucks makes it never snow again, I'm not counting that as a loss.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

canyoneer posted:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-6-5-Amp-Corded-7-in-Table-Top-Wet-Tile-Saw-R4021/301127383

Home Depot has a decent tile saw for $99. I did a backsplash and another ~300 square feet of flooring with it. Wasn't quite as nice as the one with a pump I borrowed from my coworker but it got it done.
I also have, and moderately approve of this saw. It is worth exactly 99 dollars. You should buy it at this price, but at no higher price.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Refurb tools: yay or nay
My Rigid refurb tool experience has been very good.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Phanatic posted:

I swear to God that Ryobi has the same scam going on with batteries that HP does with inkjet cartridges. Got two in a pack at Christmas to replace two previous ones that had died and the charger swears one's already defective. Never again.
Did you register them? As long as you make sure to register everything, Ryobi's guarantee isn't terrible.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

<....................................... > 1" on my phone screen if that helps
Wait, should I be holding my phone in landscape or portrait? Please respond quickly, I'm completing a plat of survey.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Crowbar would be my go-to if you don't have a sawzall, yeah. If you don't have access to the screw head, you can still just muscle the entire 4x4 off. Stick a piece of scrap wood next to the 4x4 to give the crowbar something to pivot against that isn't your wall -- the scrap will distribute force enough to avoid damaging the wall.

But why do you need to take it down? Wasn't sticking the 4x4s to the wall the point of this exercise?
Calling it now - They were off by an eighth of an inch over forty feet.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Today I learned Husky no longer makes the best utility knife ever, their quick change one. It was fantastic, you put 5 blades in at once, and when one dulled, you'd press a button, pull the blade out, and then retract the knife, and when you extended it back out, there was a new blade on. Made demo jobs where you were cutting a bunch of carpet and drywall a breeze.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Mr. Mambold posted:

Measure 6, cut never. That is the only way you will never screw up a piece.

But seriously, I.M. we love you. And I predict you'll be an awesome woodworker one of these days......*Pink Floyd riffs segue into the distance*
Just wanted to second this. IM has gotten a lot of poo poo, but he's taken it gracefully.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Wouldn't your oversized waterproof gloves just... melt? If not, why bother with the heat insulating ones?
Hands scald at lower temperatures than gloves melt.

I suspect.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Does a saw with 2 18v batteries not get obnoxiously heavy?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Mister Dog posted:

Why dat fence on the wrong side?

Edit: on closer inspection, it looks like the fence can be positioned on either side of the blade. I’ve never seen that before, is that a UK thing?
Dewalts in the US can do the same. It's handy on a job site saw, probably much less so on a large, proper saw.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

TacoHavoc posted:

I started painting a fence today with a brush and realized it loving sucked and I don't want to do that. I think a sprayer would be significantly better, but trying to sort out what makes sense for my use (exterior paints) leads me to all kinds of affiliate marketing bullshit. Does anyone have a decent-quality sprayer recommendation?
I picked up a Wagner airless sprayer, forget what model, but it was 80ish bucks, and it has served me well. Put a nice finish on my kitchen cabinets when I repainted them, and I also was able to repaint my shed (with exterior paint) in about half an hour with it. It's obviously a step down from a proper paint sprayer, but it'll paint a fence all day long.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

DrBouvenstein posted:

I still have regrets about a local hardware store near me going out of business and selling their ENTIRE hardware aisles, storage system/drawers and all, for like $3000 a while back and not pulling the trigger.

Not that I had the space in my old house ,nor would have had the space during the interim between houses and living in rentals and a storage unit, nor have the space now.

But can you just IMAGINE?!
I had two of these, each filled to overflowing with screws, bolts, nuts, and assorted fiddly bits that came out of an estate sale for a hundred bucks. It was a pretty great resource, but when it came time to move house, the thought of trying to move them a second time was too much. Sold them for a hundred bucks. Circle of life.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

fralbjabar posted:

Is your previous owner my previous owner?

Have you people not figured it out yet? There is only one previous owner, and he has owned all our houses. What, you thought there were multiple people that lovely at home repair??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

~Coxy posted:

That would be awesome for taking feet off your ankles.