Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I'm about to need to drive a lot of staples into wood.

I have six chairs I need to re-web. The cushions are fine, but the cheap rubber webbing woven through to support them is no match for six D&D-playing teenage boys. That's at least 8 straps per chair, to be attached twice per end (you staple the webbing on once, then double it over and staple it again), for a total of at least 800 staples needing to be driven through jute webbing into wood.

My research tells me what the pros use is some sort of pneumatic stapler; this is well out of my price range. The options are:

1. Well-made hand staple gun. Pros: Drives staples with sufficient force. Cons: That's 20 pounds of force applied by my fragile ladyhands, every time I need to cock the lever. Times 800 staples. I foresee no good here.

2. Electric staple gun. Pros: Less damage to ladyhands. Cons: Every single Amazon review says these can't drive staples for poo poo, unless into very soft wood.

3. Rent a compressor, a hose, and a nailgun (can't find anybody who rents pneumatic staplers locally). Pros: has the power for the job. Cons: Expense, noise, having to learn how to operate complex equipment on the fly, with bonus chance of amusing permanent injuries if I screw things up.

Are there any options I'm missing here? Do you have suggestions? I'm about ready to grumble and pay somebody to reweb the chairs, but I think I'd enjoy doing this one myself if I don't have to go broke on tools beforehand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Which brand of electric do you have?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Is there any reason to be wary of a second-hand pancake compressor? As far as I can figure, brand-new small compressors run $100 and upward, and I can find second-hand Porter Cable compressors with hoses on Craigslist for ~$50. This, for instance: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/tls/4758754926.html

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

What's wrong with pancake compressors? All I need to run is a staple gun, and not at a rapid clip. It's for reupholstery, not for construction.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Well, wups. I bought a $10 used-three-times Central Pneumatic (Harbor Freight) 3-gallon compressor from Craigslist because why not. I got it home to find out the max PSI was 100, .6 SCFM at 90 PSI. In short, it's a tire pump.

I bought it to do upholstery stapling, because when you're stapling into a hardwood furniture carcass you need some oomph. We'll see how this works with the well-reviewed-on-Amazon pneumatic stapler I got. If it's a dud, I'll either stalk Craigslist for a decent compressor or just spend the extra $50 for the canonical 3.5-gal 135-PSI Porter Cable brand-new. (This puppy: http://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-PCFP02003-3-5-Gallon-Pancake-Compressor/dp/B00BMUGQNC/ )

Note to self: buy used tools IFF you know enough about the tool to know what you need. At $10, an electric air pump is still a handy thing.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Surprised there is not a marriage between tools and kitchen appliances. A mixer that is powered by a milwaukee drill sounds great.

Back before rural electrification, they sold home appliances that a housewife could power from her farmer husband's outdoor motor. Just hook up the washing machine to the motor, and there you go!

Speaking as a cook, you want a stand mixer for exactly the same reason you want (say) a drill press. There's a big difference between mixing a cake for 3 minutes while holding a hand mixer and whipping egg whites for 5-8 minutes with a balloon whip on a stand mixer with planetary motion. And there's no such thing as a dough hook for a hand mixer; they just don't have enough power to be effective. I would never be without my faithful Kitchenaid, which we got (gulp) 34 years ago and is still doing the job splendidly. If your fiancee bakes at all, she has every good reason to want a stand mixer. And you can attach a meat grinder and make your own sausage! (Which I did once, 34 years ago, but whatever. :p )

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

But imagine what Lucille Ball could have done with one. Physical comedy to the max.

(I have fanged myself cleaning the immersion blender; I should NOT be trusted with a hand mixer.)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I do bread, too. If you're enthusiastic about baking, you should be watching THE GREAT BRITISH BAKE-OFF (repackaged as THE GREAT BRITISH BAKING SHOW on PBS.) I've learned a lot about baking, and unlike most reality shows, it's kind rather than about watching people undercut one another. And -- relevant to tools! -- it has made me covet a proofing drawer like burning. Also, the guy in the episode last night used washed river rocks in a tray to bake flatbread, and it looked awesome.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

e: Whoops, moved to woodworking thread.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jun 13, 2021

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Lee Valley Tools makes great gardening tools. Can I trust the quality of their woodworking tools?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

mds2 posted:

Are you kidding? For real, did I miss a joke?

I garden. I have never done any woodworking. I'm trying to start, and I needed opinions from people who knew tools.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

They are great and you get what you pay for, but they are expensive. There are some decent-ish import brands and also fixing up old tools is an okay option. You might get more specific answers about woodworking tools in the woodworking thread.

Oh! I didn't realize this was just the power tools thread.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

We're moving to a new house (whoo!) with a well and septic system. Where we're moving (North California coast), the power sometimes goes out for days. We need to buy and install a generator to keep the well, refrigerator, possible chest freezer, and house lights going. How do I figure out how to size a generator, and what are reliable brands?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Residential solar is extremely common in California, but you'd also need some means to store that power, and batteries are expensive. Either that, or you need to be able to do all of your power-consuming work during the day when the panels are generating. A solar array that's powerful enough to run a household is also going to be fairly large, which may or may not be an issue depending on your location and the shape of your house.
I want to put in solar eventually, but the storms that cause power outages tend to happen in the winter, when (I hope I hope I hope) it rains. I'm definitely going to be having an electrician in anyway, because there's a Zinsco subpanel (yikes); that may be a good opportunity to put in the needed subpanel for the key appliances.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jul 4, 2021

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Vim Fuego posted:

The American DRM

:golfclap:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

If you're willing to do electric, I like my Sun Joe. It copes with moderately clay-y soil if you're willing to do several passes, getting deeper each time. The big problem in my yard was that there had been multiple layers of sod, and nowadays sod is grown on a poly thread mesh base, which wraps itself around the blades. :(

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

If you were buying a set of drill bits for household chores, no precision required, durability a plus, which brand would you buy?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Where I live, for small jobs the contractors say they can't schedule it in advance, but they'll call me on a day when they finish a big job early and fit me in. You might try asking local contractors if they'll do that.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Uncle Enzo posted:

The stupid old freezer-on-top design is the most efficient since the cool air is put into the freezer, where it then just falls through an adjustable damper into the fridge. No pumps, just a box with a chiller and doors.
I have bad knees, so freezer-on-top means I can't get to a third of the fridge. Freezer-on-bottom is okay because you lean down and look at the top of a freezer, rather than having to get down at eye level.

Our house came with brand-new cheap appliances. The fridge works fine but is freezer-on-top; the washing machine is a combined stacked washer-on-dryer single unit, rather than being two separate units stacked. The washer is not high-efficiency, which is a big drat deal because we're on a well. It also has an agitator, which is hard on clothes. This has been a vacation house for decades, so there's no dishwasher. It's an old house, so the countertops are not at a standard height; furthermore, they are a solid slab of cast stone, which would be a royal pain in the rear end to cut or to raise. The freezer is okay for keeping ice cream, but not great for "Let's make a pot of chili/vegetable soup/tomato sauce and save the leftovers for later," or, just as important, "Look, they've got chuck at $2.50, let's split that up and freeze half."
So. Long-term: replace washer and dryer. Longer-term, optional: replace fridge. Right now: dishwasher and chest freezer.

I did massive amounts of measuring today, and found 1 (one) dishwasher that could fit under our counter, a Bosch. It's short because it's ADA-compliant. I also found 1 (one) freezer that would fit in the storage niche on the outside of our house. It's a GE garage-ready 7 cu. foot chest freezer. I ordered both of them, because the carpenter is finally available to rebuild the cabinets leaving a dishwasher-shaped hole. When will the plumbing/electric company be able to install the dishwasher line and electricity? Scheduling person: "We talk about you every week at our Thursday meeting." But it doesn't matter, because the dishwasher will be here, at best, October 8th. The freezer will be here, at best, November 18th.

Bosch dishwashers are great. That is all.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

My KitchenAid stand mixers are totally tools. :colbert:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

If you're going super-high-end, consider Thermador; they have excellent reliability per Consumer Reports (which doesn't rate SubZero any more); I've heard bad word-of-mouth about SubZero in recent years.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

canyoneer posted:

"why does this tree smell like Bradford pear all of a sudden?"

:perfect:

The electrician who came to do some minor work at the house yesterday had a portable bandsaw, little tiny thing (relative to a real bandsaw) that you could carry by hand. I think it was a Makita.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Johnny Truant posted:

:perfect:

Went to HD today just to buy some finer grit sandpaper, came out with an impact driver cause it was my colour and 50% off :yum:
I know what you mean, but in my dreams you mean "it was the perfect shade of turquoise to set off my eyes."

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Mr. Mambold posted:

once the new has worn off.
I haven't heard anybody say that since my dad died. Thanks for the memory!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

For label making, get any Brother P-Touch, a waterproof tape, and never look back. Unlike the kind that emboss, they don't tend to separate from the surface over time.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

tracecomplete posted:

Just a few, and just text. Letter punches look like a fun thing to have around regardless. Thanks!

I have a P-Touch.

I'm not putting P-Touch labels on furniture that I make.

Sorry, I was replying to the Dymo conversation, not to your table.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Can I get ID on a couple of tools?

Is this just an attachment to a shop vac?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKZEMPwEYCQ&t=30s
What's this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKZEMPwEYCQ&t=589s

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

http://www.kylesconverter.com/length/cubits-to-rods

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I must share the single silliest tool I have ever seen.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/home/personal-accessories/carabiners-and-keyrings/56683-rimroller?item=99W6846

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I need to buy a string trimmer for out-of-control weeds. I want electric because it's a tiny yard. Anybody got a favorite brand?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

stealie72 posted:

And a rubber or leather mallet for whacking things that aren't nails.
We own two rubber mallets, which are 99% of the time used in the kitchen. One day when we were having wall-to-wall installed, our young son inquired, "Daddy, why are they using the meat hammer on the carpet?"

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I just bumped into Michael K Woodworks on Etsy and thought of y'all. He makes beautifully turned and finished replacements for Stanley and Lie Nielsen plane handles and knobs.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

A decade or so ago my mom brought me back this pair of shears from Japan. I have no idea what they're made of except obviously some sort of iron-based material. They're rusting. Can I use Naval Jelly to clean them, then mineral oil afterward? What's best?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I just hung our TV after a TV-less year in the new house. The impact driver paid for itself in just that one task. Holy cow, that thing can drive steel. Or whatever lag bolts are actually made of. Anyway, TV mount went straight into the rock-hard studs. Thanks for the rec, thread.

I don't see an appropriate thread in Serious Hardware/Software Crap. Can anybody recommend a trustworthy brand of power bar? I need one that can handle an Instant Pot (call it 1200 watts), and the reason I do is that the instant pot isn't on a countertop, it's on a worktable, and the tiny cord is not long enough to reach a wall outlet.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

They are also fantastic for pounding meat flat.

No, not that way.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Two questions on drill usage.

1. I have delicate computer toucher hands, not strong work-hardened builder hands. When I try to hold a screw to drive it with an impact driver, even on a low speed, the screw threads hurt my fingers and I can't hold it steady. What, besides the first sentence, am I doing wrong?

2. I foolishly used the mounting screws that came with two devices (why? Pure stupidity) and two of the Phillips heads thoroughly stripped, one per mount. If I ever get up the energy to remove them and reinstall, what's the name of the thingy I use to drill out the screw?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Elem7 posted:

To help with that you can get drill bit holder/extensions with either a sleeve that extends to fit over a screw or a magnetic tip to give it extra holding power on the screw.
What is the name of the first thing?

I would be drilling pilot holes a lot more often, except that many of my walls won't yield to anything other than an impact driver.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Hot drat, and thank you.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Trabant posted:

They (and Woodcraft) were my first place to check but I couldn't find anything that looked right. I'll just have to go into their stores and ask the old-timers behind the counter if they carry anything like it.

Lee Valley is your friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

The Brusso one snaps, doesn't it?