Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

My brother once leaned up against a hot oven housing at some plant and thought he was going to have a funky scar of a panel line and two hex head nuts on his arm. Instead it healed instead of making him look like he had a robot arm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Until you get real far down the rabbit hole of reel mowers and want to cut it at 5/8” :gizz:

My wife would accuse me of trying to build a putting green instead of a lawn

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I see no downside.

She's said no to it the first 50 times I've said we should do it, so I'm still on the fence about doing it.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I would prefer to buy my drill from the armed encampment

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

tater_salad posted:

This..
CorrectClampNumber=Owned_clamps+1

So my dad is building a boat. One visit, I pull in the driveway and see he's working on something in the garage. He's got these strips of wood that are becoming curved roof ribs all laid out. One of them was clamped to this bending jig with about 80 spring clamps.

I commented on how many clamps he had. He wisely points out that if he had more clamps, he could make two ribs at a time.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

LightRailTycoon posted:

21 degree is plastic collated, which means the gun shoots plastic bits everywhere, and they often bounce back into your face.

Or not. I've never taken a plastic bit to the face, but other people seem to get blasted in the cheek every nail. Who knows how it works.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Verman posted:

Man, I've always just folded the boxes with the corrugated grain in half or however they'll fit flat into my recycling bin. Flat is a much better fit then cutting to pieces.

As a former store stocking clerk, cutting cardboard boxes is only done when you have to do it. Large oversize boxes or boxes that can't break down flat are a good example.

As a former professional box breaker downer, yeah. The only time I ever cut cardboard was turning large boxes into flap less containers to move lots of smaller folded up boxes. Or slicing one corner of a large box to Z fold the thing up (to fit into another big box).

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

lil poopendorfer posted:

The tools used are irrelevant, the work that gets done is what matters.

Look if I didn't have these glowing beacons called Ryobi, I wouldn't get anything done because I'd always be going off to get new tools because I couldn't find the tool I was looking for!

That's why I can't ever find a hammer or a drill bit. They're not neon green!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

tater_salad posted:

All of that poo poo gets a shot of bright yellow paint. Pry pars crow bars hammers etc all get a nice shot of bright spray paint when they get home.

....huh.

Guess I found a use for all of that leftover ultra bright yellow spray paint I have.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Squibbles posted:

I'll see your fancy Milwaukee and raise you a bargain basement Mastercraft that also locks in this position for no conceivable reason

That's so it can defend itself from you

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Squibbles posted:

Use yourself or give to the attacker?

I refuse to believe that someone designed this on purpose

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

NomNomNom posted:

The only way I've managed to kill a Ryobi tool was by trying to use my drill to mix thinset. Stripped a gear.

On the other hand, I twice had a corded Ryobi hammer drill emit smoke using it to mix thinset. It seems to be no worse for wear.

Of course, it was a refurb from Direct Tools, so I figured if it dies, it dies.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

wesleywillis posted:

Where can I find something that will convert cubits to rods and hogsheads?

You're only really in trouble when you have to figure out which of the, like, 30 different definitions of cubit you're working with.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Bob Mundon posted:

Also walks across the floor as it runs.

My slightly over a year old Craftsman clone died last week and I replaced it with a Porter Cable. Despite being identical in every way, the Craftsman one didn't walk and the Porter Cable slowly spins in a circle. Whatever.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Lot of Canadians hiding prizes under the lip of a paper coffee cup?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Literally A Person posted:

When can we go back to space-age chic and get some sick fins and 27 silver-ringed indicator lights?

I want a lawn mower with an enormous, useless silver cowling on it. Basically make it look like the Rocketeer's rocket pack.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

‘Hinge and the weight of the motor’ is a surprisingly common way to tension belts. Pretty sure it’s all a Unisaw does.

Interesting.

Back in the day, our hay elevator's motor was mounted on a wood plate that was attached to a pipe coming out of the frame. The motor could move rather freely. Sometimes if you threw a heavy bale too hard, you could make it bounce slightly and the drive belt would loose tension just long enough for the big drive wheel to stop. That would make the elevator chain chatter pretty bad and it could slip off the guide. I preferred being the guy on the wagon rather than the loft, so 9 times out of the 10 if that happened it was my fault. Which then meant I had to climb up the elevator and put the chain back in place. And maybe dodge a bale that slipped off the teeth while the thing racked from me climbing it.

All those years and I never put together that the flappy wood was doing something useful.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

NomNomNom posted:

Can confirm my ryobi chainsaw also does the same thing. I just leave it tilted up.

My Ryobi lives in an old paint tray and that seems to get it done.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

devmd01 posted:

Big fan of the ryobi led work light. The ability to hang it on any 2x is a really nice feature.

Dang thing is like a portable car headlight.

Honestly, I plug mine in most of the time. Yes, it is a hassle to run an extension cord, but it is just so battery hungry.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

canyoneer posted:

It is highly recommended if you are a Blues Brother on the lam and need to quickly remove an elevator panel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2quc-iQ96R0

Funny, I've seen the tool dozens and dozens of times in my life, laying in garages and old barns and stuff, but the Blues Brothers is literally the only time I've seen one used.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

sharkytm posted:

The same people who carpet bathrooms.

My in-laws have a carpeted bathroom and they won't do anything about it. I assume that as soon as you try to peel it back, it'll be like when the Ark of the Covenant opened up and all the spirts come out.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The only stuff I get at HF are things that fall into "how could you make a version that doesn't work," "it has to work exactly once," and a small mountain of those little boxcutters they have at the checkout.

"If it breaks, I get mushed" is right out. I'm also surprised how many of their ratcheting bar clamps I've destroyed via light duty use.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

melon cat posted:

Also a valid use of an air compressor:

When I worked in a tool and die shop, we had air hoses hanging everywhere for cleaning things.

They saw more use when we figured out that you could cram an ear plug into the nozzle and shoot people with ear plugs.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Caveman Harbor Freight was just using an especially hard piece of wood instead of a rock. Yeah you'll break a bunch of them, but sticks are cheap.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Mr. Mambold posted:

Everyone needs a hobby.

I once had a job doing parts inspections in a tool and die shop. We had some tool that was a small crucible to melt lead, with a discharge valve on the bottom. I don't remember what it was actually for because we never used it. I think it was to somehow measure the interior volume of parts?

What we actually used it for was "making dimes." If you flicked the lever on the discharge valve it would drop lead out and make a little dime sized disk. If you did it fast enough, you could make little stacks of them. So obviously we'd have races to see who could make the most dimes in a given time period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Sometimes I get glue on my fingers just to peel it off, which I assume is some kind of psychosis