Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

My dad had a NiCad Ryobi and after maybe a year of low-to-moderate use the batteries were shot to the point where it would start to noticeably lose performance after ~20ish screws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I inherited the DeWalt drill/impact set from my dad and I've picked up the reciprocating saw and couple other things to go along with them, but I still only have the pair of 2 amp-hour batteries that came with the drill and that's really not enough any more.

What's the best way to get more batteries? Are there knockoffs that are any good? Right now I'm sort of leaning towards waiting for holiday sales and seeing if I can get a decent package deal for a tool I don't already own.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Bloody posted:

My understanding is battery nailers are serviceable (especially at smaller sizes) - not as fast, but no hose to deal with. If you've already got a compressor or if you're already deep in a battery ecosystem that probably dominates the decision. If you've got neither (or both) then, idk

For something like a brad nailer I think battery wins hands down. If I just want to tack up a bit of trim I don't want to have to drag the compressor into the house, fire it up, and deal with the hose, only to have to reverse the entire process to put everything away after doing one strip of trim. I actually have a compressor powered brad nailer and the last time I could have used it I ended up doing the nails manually with a little 7oz hammer and a nail set just to avoid that process.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Verman posted:

My wife tried second guessing if it was worth the $100.

This poo poo always boggles me. Time is the one true irreplaceable resource, and that tool will save you that much time whenever you need to do this particular chore. It's not just one weekend day, it's every weekend day it saves you from now until the tool dies.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

It looks like a cobbler's hammer.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Yeah, I'd just wipe the stain on with a rag. It's cheaper than a second brush, it doesn't risk cross contamination, and it works better for the purpose.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Is this the thread to ask about generators? The Texas Snowpocalypse earlier this year has my mother looking to buy one sometime before winter, and she asked me for advice, and now I'm asking y'all.

I'm leaning towards a gas+propane generator with the intent of mostly running it off of propane, just because propane is easier/safer to store than gasoline. However, I know nothing about this subject so I'm prepared for that to be a terrible choice. This would mostly be for relatively small scale use. Cooking, charging electronics, running a swamp cooler or small AC unit during summer power outages, maybe powering the fridge for an hour or so at a time to keep the temperature down, that kind of thing.

What kinds of things should I be looking for in a generator? What brands are good? Is there a definitive "go buy this, it's the best residential generator" type of option?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Motronic posted:

Most "my mom need a generator" problems are only reasonably solved by a proper auto start fixed backup genset.

She's really just thinking of something like a portable generator on the back porch and running an extension cord in through the window to power some things. Small window AC at night, coffeemaker, toaster oven, charging electronics, running the fridge/freezer for a few hours a day to keep the temperature down, that kind of thing. Not running central air and whatnot.

She used to spend a lot of time with my dad on his hunting property in a small cabin with a portable generator for power, so she knows what to expect from it. That generator went with the property when she sold it off, though, so she's looking to replace it.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

MrPete posted:

Looking at the video Platystemon linked it would be pretty trivial to put three pieces of 12mm ply on that bench to stiffen it up immensely, one across the back and one on each side.

An easy way to stop it walking all over the workshop is get another sheet of ply or that fancy osb stuff and screw it to the feet, positioned so you're standing on the sheet when working at the bench.

This is what I was thinking. Seems like it would be pretty easy to add your own braces with ~$30 worth of Home Depot plywood and some wood screws.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

FISHMANPET posted:

Ah poo poo I'm gonna need some clamps!

No matter how many clamps you have, the amount of clamps you need is roughly equal to "however many you already have plus two".

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The best part about having both an impact driver and a drill is that you don't have to change bits in between drilling the pilot hole and driving the screw. So much more convenient.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Cardboard is rough and abrasive to start with, and corrugated cardboard like you'll find in most shipping boxes and the like is ~3 layers of cardboard and two layers of adhesive. It eats blades way faster than most people think it does, and that's as applicable to power tools as it is to utility knives.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Verman posted:

There are also several kinds of power scissors. I've used some for tradeshow booth materials like cutting large amounts of heavy fabric and poster board/vinyl graphic sheets. I'm sure they could handle cardboard. They're much faster and cleaner cutting than I would have thought. Obviously there are some lesser duty crafting types and some heavier duty.

Yeah, but cardboard is still gonna trash their blades and then you're gonna have dull power scissors trying to gum their way through cardboard.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

SpartanIvy posted:

I'm mainly excited that I'll have a good selection of name brand blades and bits from them now. Even if it's marked up pretty high it'll still beat having to jump on the interstate for an hour round trip when I discover I need something in the middle of a project

Before I had to decide to make the drive to Home Depot or settle for whatever weird crappy brand they would have locally.

Yeah. the pricing sucks at the local True Value compared to driving in to the city, but it's ~70 minutes and two gallons of gas and change to get to anywhere else. When you factor that in they're a bargain for any little one-off thing you need.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Has anybody ever used the Dewalt 20V string trimmer? I already have a 6ah battery and it's a very small area that needs trimming, so I'd like to avoid dealing with a gas or corded trimmer if possible.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Slugworth posted:

For self defense?

I have their reciprocating saw, so I figure for self defense I'll just epoxy a knife onto an old blade.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

IMO the big thing that 7.25 has going for it blade availability. It’s the standard for corded saws so there’s just more blade options for 7.25 saws.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

FISHMANPET posted:

Interesting choice if they're really going for the professional landscape market, I'm curious why they aren't just doing something like making an M40 line of 40V tools, instead of running 18V in series to deliver ~40V to the tool. You could say battery compatibility, but if it's gonna require a brand new pair of dedicated batteries, then what's the point of compatibility? Would you even be able to put a more "normal" 4AH battery into that, or is there a use for 12AH batteries in hand tools?

40V would be an entirely new battery line they'd have to get people to buy into, but tons of people are already invested into M18 and that line has plenty of tools that would be fine with a big 12ah battery. String and hedge trimmers, compressors, inverters, vacuums, etc.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

If you just want a handheld dustbuster type thing without floor attachments, your power tool color of choice probably has a decent one.

I’ve got this dewalt one and it’s worked great so far. Wouldn’t want to use it as an actual shop vac, but it does a great job cleaning up after little kids and car seats or whatnot.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Slotted is good for poo poo like battery covers on toys because you can open it with any random bit of junk on your desk. Terrible for anything else, though.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I use two sawhorses and an old hollow core interior door when I need one.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I stick the remotes for stuff like that somewhere convenient with 3m picture hanging strips.

Gives me all the functions of the remote if I want them and it stays where I put it. The one for the ceiling fan is stuck to the side of my bed so I can turn the overhead light on or off without getting out of bed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

They don't have them because they quickly get used as dumpsters for regular trash. All the recycling dumpsters and yard waste bins and what not around here have been removed because people were just dumping trash in them.