Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Edit: Dead Deal :rip:
Not sure if this is the thread, but cross-posting since it says tools

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jan 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Verman posted:

Zero chance it ships but holy poo poo I'm in.
Always take the 0% risk on the long shot that might have some chance of delivering.

So, there was price mistake recently from lowes with those AeroGardens and I only saw one person pick one up (not a goon), rest cancelled.

However, not to get your hopes up too much... last Home Depot price mistake I remember was from April of last year:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=2914751&pagenumber=1331&perpage=40&highlight=gladiator#post513833179
It was Gladiator Cabinets for ~$40. Many got cancelled. I got one, they got four, and some others I know got them.

They had over 3000 of these Dewalt units ready to ship out I guess... Hopefully it's a sleepy Monday and orders get sent out before they read the email from management :v:

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jan 31, 2022

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Verman posted:

Umm ... My order shipped. Days it will arrive Wednesday.

Obviously it can still get cancelled as it's not on a truck yet but ... :fap:

Grats. :toot:
Nothing here yet for me. At least one other goon has one "shipped"; three of my coworkers have shipping confirm. Nothing to report as far as stuff being physically tendered to the carrier yet afaik.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Verman posted:

Mine were picked up and scheduled for delivery. They're on the truck.

:stare:
:toot:
Hoping for your delivery soon.

Mine is being held! Saw this message:

:aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa:
It ends up it was missorted! I contacted them asking about the issue (because please don't ask shipper for instructions; they are not to be trusted.) and they said it should be on schedule to be sent to the destination location tonight. I told them "That's understandable. These things happen. I was calling to tell you to please proceed with the delivery". They said they would note it on the delivery. Hopefully it's delivered. :v:

Bondematt posted:

I'm at "shipping label created", but the HD orders page no longer shows the tracking #.

:rip:

Edit: Well gently caress my butt, it's shipped and on a truck for tomorrow, but also still shows as an error on Home Depots page.
People have been receiving cancellation emails, but if your package was already on the truck then things are probably looking good! Hoping there's a delivery. Some people in the past have received refunds for cancelled orders that are ultimately delivered from Home Depot :v:
I've never followed up and asked them if Home Depot re-charged them later.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 1, 2022

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Calidus posted:

I swear Home Depot is hilarious incompetent when it comes to online orders. I have an angle grinder because my wife ordered $40 worth of Christmas lights.
Yeah I've been watching the original slickdeals thread and hearing from other goons how this is going down. Like a LOT of people who got cancellation emails (and charges dropped off their card) are getting their tools in the mail. Even if they didn't even receive tracking in the first place.

It's like a train starts going and Home Depot can't stop it. I wouldn't be surprised if they do an audit later and re-charge people with cancelled orders, received them, and who had charges drop off (since theoretically they delivered the product that was originally agreed upon), but even still the fact people are still getting their price mistake deliveries is great. Now if only OnTrac would finally deliver mine today. :parrot:

Edit: DeWalt tools finally delivered. Too late in day for a picture :toot:

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Feb 4, 2022

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Verman posted:

Assuming my stuff actually gets here, at this point I assume it will, this is the single biggest "deal" I've ever found in my 20+ years on the Internet. I remember the days of the SA Freebies and deals thread. I got free nalgene bottles, magazine subscriptions, gift cards etc but never anything worth real money.
Congrats :toot:

My best was the Sony Camera price mistake from some previous Prime Day. I ended up getting the bad draw and I didn't get a tv from the Samsung TV price mistake (also from Amazon), which may have been my largest if I got it.

They're few and far between... though late Sunday into Monday seems to breed the most successful price mistakes on account of shipping going out that day but people mostly being asleep at the wheel on Sundays.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Johnny Truant posted:

Wanna link the slick deals thread, if you could? :hampants:
https://slickdeals.net/f/15596476-7-tool-dewalt-20-volt-max-cordless-combo-kit-with-toughsystem-case-99-free-shipping

tater_salad posted:

See I hate these assoles.. it's one thing to grab 1-5 for you and your friends but when you start ordering 10+ you're a dick.
Yeah... I generally agree, and much of Slickdeals agrees afaik. I'm not so much concerned with the profitability of the shareholders of Home Depot, more than I am that orders like that get flagged and likely reduces the available stock to other would-be deal getters. I have mixed feelings on buying to resell, but that's a longer discussion.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 4, 2022

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Figured I should repost this here. TL;DR DTO is putting most factory blem stuff at 40% off (except stuff that says Final Sale generally) and also has a FREE SHIPPING COUPON. Yes, that's right, DTO has free shipping after jacking up their shipping price.

BeAuMaN posted:

Buncha stuff 40% off at Direct Tools Outlet.
I've filtered for Ship To Home, Factory Blem
https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/s...evance&catalog=
And most important FREE SHIPPING with coupon code JANFREESHIP

Source (with some item picks):
https://slickdeals.net/f/16406620-direct-tools-outlet-site-40-off-almost-all-factory-blemished-products-w-free-shipping?v=1

Edit: Going to add a couple things
18V Ryobi One+ Hybrid 7.5" Fan + 2AH Battery + Charger for $30
https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/product/PCL811KN

If you need a fan that can sit near you and it also needs to be cordless, get this fan. $30 is a STEAL. Further, it's "hybrid" because you can also plug it into an extension cord (it has a male plug underneath where the battery normally sits) and power it off wall power. A user on slickdeals tested runtime on a 4AH battery on each of the 3 fan speeds.
Low: ~41 hrs; Medium: ~12.5 hrs; High: ~7.5 hrs.
Charge time for 4AH battery: ~2 hrs.
But of course this particular one comes with a 2AH, but that's pretty good runtime. I think it's fairly good and this is the newer fan model.

18V Ryobi One+ Oil-free Pole Saw w/ 8" saw blade + 1.5Ah Battery + Charger for $108
https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/product/P2510
If you also want the kit that has the seperate 8" hand/pruning chainsaw, that'll run you $150... but paying another $42 for the hand/pruning chainsaw isn't that hot of a deal imo:
https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/product/P20310

Two goons asked me to ping them on this. Yes, it is Oil-free. A chainsaw you don't have to oil! What foul magic is this? According to the sales rep in this video, Ryobi did some testing on solving the oil leaking problem, and they found if a chainsaw is running a chain slower than 5 meters/sec, then it doesn't need oil. That's why they don't have any big oil-free chainsaws, but these little guys. Anyhow, I yoinked one around Black Friday and used it on a tree and it worked fine. I think the chain came loose at a certain point, but otherwise it had no issues, cut just fine. Then I got hella sick and haven't used it since. Comes with battery and charger; the 1.5Ah is plenty of battery to deal with a few trees. So if you want a pole saw that's not going to leak oil and you can just toss it in your garage/tool closet when you're done, then get this. It doesn't come with a bag and the blade scabbard on it is poo poo. I turned to Amazon:
Greenworks Pole Saw Bag: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ID8838Q
It fits perfectly so that it doesn't have a bunch of extra room to jostle around. You can probably also find a tripod bag with similar dimensions.
Rando Chinese 8" - 12" Chainsaw Bar Cover
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09GMCRMC7
Works fine. I used this exact one but there's a bunch of these since it isn't anything special.

And as linked in the Slickdeals thread you can get the Dual Inflator for $36
https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/product/P747

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jan 31, 2023

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Bob Mundon posted:

Free shipping at DTO is probably the most reliable indicator of a recession, and I'm here for it.
:emptyquote:

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

CommonShore posted:

I'm always envious of the direct tools sprees that you americans get. There's no Canadian equivalent so far as I know.
Afaik apart from the various DTO stores... DTO shipping is directly based at the manufacturing/distribution center next to their HQ in South Carolina
Map: https://www.google.com/maps/place/R...%2Fg%2F1tgw5rb5

(For size reference... that large distribution building? It's just over half a mile long)
Probably been talked about in here in the past that the "blemished tool" indicator is a scam to get around their exclusive contract w/ selling new Ryobi tools at Home Depot. So afaik they're just shipping DTO tools out the back door. If they have a similar facility in Canada I don't see why they couldn't do it there. They probably don't sell/ship to Canada from the regular DTO website because they didn't want to deal with cross-border shenanigans. A lot of DTO decisions are generally just whatever is easy for them; they don't modify any orders for anyone, and might not respond for a couple days.

Edit: Little DTO store to the east just outside :shobon:

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jan 28, 2023

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Ended up buying a bunch of Ryobi this sale:
40v Pole Hedge Trimmer w/ 2AH battery
https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/product/RY40630VNM
Dual Inflator
https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/product/P747
2x 7.5" Fans w/ 2AH battery
https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/product/PCL811KN
3/8" Crown Stapler
https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/product/P317

Needed something for a couple hedges we have and that should let me get a good angle on the top. Dual Inflator is the thing people kept talking about and I want something to top off the tires without crouching down. The Fans... I have one already and they saved the chickens during a heatwave. I want spares just in case (for the California central valley heatwaves and possible rolling blackouts)...
The stapler... I have to put up a new fence for the chicken coop and I read this works fine generally for stapling hardware cloth or similar light fencing. I didn't want to spend the $90 on the larger 18GA stapler since I'm buying enough as-is, though I'm sorely tempted.

Ordered a fan for dad and then ordered him a Glue Gun Kit since he saw my glue gun I got for $9 from the last sale and was like "Hey, can I have this? I'll buy it off you" and I was like "Hell no. That's mine". So the kit that has the battery at $24 since he isn't in the Ryobi ecosystem yet isn't bad.

Slugworth posted:

Very sad they won't ship the 18v Ryobi finish nailer, not gonna drive 80 miles to pick it up in the store. Grabbed an inflator though, thanks for the heads up, op!
This was in stock for shipping at the beginning of the sale. Was considering it but waited too long. I got some metal... whatever it's called at the edge of the roof that fell down when I was cutting a branch off a tree with that Ryobi oil-free pole chainsaw I got during Black Friday. I'll probably just end up securing it with screws.

You can still get the 15GA Angled Finish Nailer shipped for $120, though of course that's not as good of a price as the $90 for the regular one
https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/product/P330

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jan 28, 2023

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Schiavona posted:

I bought the drill press because at $110 vs $200 at Home Depot, why not. Facebook marketplace hasn’t had a worthwhile offering in a while there.

Debating getting a hedge trimmer and a Milwaukee battery converter since I’m heavily in that ecosystem, but at that point, I’m not sure if it’s worth to pay >$50 more for the Milwaukee tool.

The wall cabinets are sweet looking too…
For Ryobi when I was doing research... I hear the 18V ones work fine for the most part for Hedge Trimmers unless you're going with the larger/longer trimmers or you need them to cut thicker hedges. In my case the couple hedges in question aren't thick branched so the 5/8" width cutting capacity w/ 18" blade on the pole works fine (why it's a 40V is a mystery... I don't think the 40V is adding that much more power but who knows). So you end up with 18V for regular and 40V for the heavier stuff. I don't mind getting the 40V battery with the hedge trimmer though since I got the 40V Earth Auger kit for on sale for ~$220 out the door in May and this means I'll have a spare battery now.

That Earth Auger is awesome :getin:
(Though I don't have the East Coast Rocky Frozen Hell Terrain, heh)

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Johnny Truant posted:

Finally had a belated Xmas with my parents since my partner and I had the rona over actual Xmas, and my parents got me the Ryobi mini shop vac :getin:

And now I'm probably gonna go on DTO and buy that dual inflator :gary:
Assuming you're talking about the toolbox-shaped one... was tempted to buy that but I already picked up the 6 gallon recently. If it was under 40 it would have been an instant buy for me.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Slugworth posted:

Anyone still waiting on a shipping notice from that direct tools sale?
This is very normal for Direct Tools Outlet; on their big sales sometimes they don't ship until 2 or 3 weeks later. This wasn't a scheduled "major sale" but also given the response they got I wouldn't be surprised. I had 5 orders (When you got free shipping you remember things you're going to order for yourself or someone else, and do another order)

Anyhow, so the stuff that I ordered single tool? Green square. That stuff shipped first. Red square? Not shipped yet. The only consistent pattern is that single-item stuff shipped first, while they're dragging their rear end to do multi-item orders. Those single items ordered on the 27th shipped first, while the single item ordered on the 29th shipped later.
(The last one single item is the $30 spotlight. Yeah, I can get a better light like a sofirn, but this one I can plug in a ryobi battery which means I will almost always have one around and it'll be charged)

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Feb 2, 2023

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

DTO day, woohoo!
Congrats. Mine is coming later this week. :toot:

Is that... did you get two batteries with the fan?

I ordered two of those clip-on mini fans but they haven't shipped yet; got a message from DTO apologizing for the delay.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I did have the hose on my 4-gal backpack sprayer get a leak in it and I ended up with a bunch of Roundup down my back. Even though the tool carries a 3y warranty, the hose is considered consumable and only has a 90-day warranty, annoyingly enough. $22 + $12 shipping for a replacement hose :argh:
:negative:

I don't know how far you're out on ownership of it... but if you bought it with a decent credit card, it may be one of those things where you can make a warranty claim (or a "return" claim; like I have a pricey Chase Sapphire Reserve card that does 120 day return protection). A lot of them (a lot less now though) double the warranty up to an additional year (usually with a cap of like "Well if it's more than 2 years though we don't do anything"), and when it's a two-part warranty, they double each part respectively. So 90 days becomes 180 days. But whether you want to file a claim over $34 (I wouldn't tell them you bought it already) :shrug:
You'd probably have to dig into your card's guide to benefits (example).

The Costco Credit Card was great for extended warranties particularly for Costco stuff, but they axed that program at the beginning of this year iirc.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Feb 7, 2023

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Yeah, I’ve had it for almost 2 years now, and $36 is in ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ territory to get one of my most-used tools back in action. Greenest lawn in the neighborhood what up.

I actually did use the Costco warranty on an Apple Watch SE that my kid dropped and shattered 2 weeks after we got it for her. I was shocked that they paid me out on full price within a week or two of filing the claim. I ended up buying an SE2 on sale for cheaper, so I actually came out ahead, with a newer watch. I’ll be sad if they actually axed that.
Nice.

And yeah unfortunately it's true. Axed on Jan 22 of this year:
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/citi-costco-card-removes-extended-warranty-benefit/

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

https://www.cardbenefits.citi.com/
Citi doesn't have a nice booklet like Chase does. You'd need to login to view your benefits, but it looks like yeah you still have 90 or 120 day purchase protection afaik.
(or here it is: https://www.cardbenefits.citi.com/~/media/CPP/Files/LegalDocs/SOAPI/CostcoCon.ashx )

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Feb 7, 2023

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

:negative:

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Just going to re-post here. I made the mistake of buying the 18GA stapler 4 days earlier and I did not get the battery included.

BeAuMaN posted:

For anyone that's on the 18V ONE+ Ryobi train:

Get a 18V ONE+ 4AH battery + Select Tool for ~$106 shipped (pre-tax)

Instructions:
1.) Add one RYOBI 18V ONE+ 4Ah Battery (P197) to cart for $89.99
2.) Then add any tool from this link to cart and the price of the tool will drop to $1 in cart.
3.) Your total in cart should come to $105.98 shipped (pre-tax)

Example $1 tools:
Ryobi 18V ONE+ AirStrike 18GA Narrow Crown Stapler (P361)
Ryobi 18V ONE+ Lopper (P4362BTL)
Ryobi 18V ONE+ Lopper (P4362BTLVNM) (I think VNM means it's made in Vietnam)
Ryobi 18V ONE+ 4 Gallon Backpack Chemical Sprayer (P2806BTL)
Ryobi 18V ONE+ 1 Gal. Air Compressor (P739)
Ryobi 18V ONE+ 22" Hedge Trimmer w/ 1.5Ah Battery + Charger (P2660VNM)
Ryobi 18V ONE+ Grease Gun (P3410)

There will be better deals I think, though I ordered a 18GA Narrow Crown Stapler recently since I'm putting up a fence for the new husky from the shelter, and if I had waited 4 more days I would have gotten the same stapler AND a battery for slightly less! :mad:
Ryobi Days will probably have better tool battery bundles but it might not have as wide of a tool selection. Sale through 3/5/2023 at 11:59 PM ET.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

NomNomNom posted:

Ryobi makes an 18v low pressure washer that can draw from a tank (like a syphon)
There's a few versions of that but you'd probably want the latest one that claims to have up to 600 PSI:
W/ battery, charger, and accessories: https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-O...1860K/319921209
Tool Only: https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-O...21850/317531019

That said, it depends on what OP is cleaning. If he just needs something to spray water, then good. But if he needs any actual power to blast anything away, 600 PSI might not be enough. I don't own this unit personally but I've read mixed reviews on it; it just depends on what you need it for.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

CommonShore posted:

I have this sprayer and it's fine for spraying dog poop off of sidewalks or cleaning out air filters but I wouldn't try to clean the siding on my house with it.

Gonna try it out as a garden sprayer this summer.
Yeah this is essentially what I heard. I might pick one of the 600 PSI models up if/when there's a good sale on DTO.

I know the Ryobi 40V pressure washers will also draw/siphon from a bucket of water, but that also gets spendy ($600+). Generally speaking I've heard with most corded electric pressure washers if you're drawing from a non-pressurized source of water (like a bucket or lake), then you need a transfer pump. However, I guess some units are designed with that in mind, but not most?

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

PRADA SLUT posted:

Bathtubs, bicycles, and patio furniture.
Yeah that sounds like the Ryobi EZClean would do the job then, since it sounds like you just want to blast them down with a stream of water, though I imagine the tubs will probably need more elbow grease. As previously stated it will struggle to remove stuck lodged dirt/grime on textured surfaces (like walkways/brick, and probably tubs fall in that area to some degree).

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Armauk posted:

drat! Never heard of SlickDeals until now and some of those finds are nice. Is this a site I need to keep a tab open for, or am I good to check in on it once a day?
They've been around for nearly 25 years. Depends on what you want (and if you're in the states; US based site). I couldn't tell you if you should check it once a day or not... the Frontpage stuff goes from great to "meh" depending on how many deals there are.

If you're looking for Ryobi/Ridgid deals specifically, then subscribe to DTO's newsletter/email blast/whatever at the bottom:
https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/

DTO runs a lot of sales, and how good they are varies. Buy factory blemished since they're really new in box but Ryobi/Ridgid are getting around their Home Depot exclusive contract by saying they're blemished. All of the "blemished" tools come with full warranty (3 to 5 years for Ryobi; Lifetime Service Agreement for Ridgid if you register within 60 days or whatever). Sales will last for whatever amount of days it says in the details and then end at midnight ET on whatever day, so you can always get a jump on the next sale at that time.

You can also register on Slickdeals, then up top there's a maroon Deal Alerts button:

You can set deal alerts; they might take some practice to dial in, and I can't guarantee they'll always be timely, but you can get notifications for stuff you want. I say dial in because you'll have to sort through trash deal notifications. Also because it's functioning off of keyword/context stuff on deals posted on basically a really old forum from like 20 years ago. Like Slickdeals has a shiny top coat that looks new but the old forum is still there, and everything is still a forum post. I wouldn't set hugely specific categories; just only use categories if you're getting trash from other stuff that isn't what you're looking for but happens to share the same name.

Finally, if you use Amazon you should get something like camelcamelcamel (setup an account and install extension).
https://camelcamelcamel.com/

That lets you setup Amazon price alerts; I do this on stuff that I want but I don't like the price, and it also let's you see price history charts. Extension lets you do a convenient pulldown like this:

Item displayed: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MFZY2F2

Most power tool deals are going to be found on DTO, Home Depot, or Lowes though. Ryobi will be DTO or during the annual Ryobi Days sale. Home Depot or Lowes will run whatever free tool deal that might line up with what you want or need for Makita/Milwaukee/etc.
Amazon has a decent deal on power tools now and again; usually the more expensive ones (MIlwaukee/Makita).
Slickdeals will also highlight some decent power tool deals from the like of ACME Tools, Max Tool, Tool Nut and a few others.

Finally there's the "hack" at Home Depot, which depends on how much you hate the people working there. If you get a "free tool" power tool bundle, Home Depot will distribute the total price for the bundled items between them. i.e.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...-21XC/205145430

The price is $179.99 and it distributes the amount between the primary item in the bundle and the "free" tool. You can then keep the one you want and return the other, and now you got a discounted tool. This becomes more swingy when you have multiple tools to choose from in the "free" column. If you want the "free" tool for free you go with the cheaper item and more of the price will be allocated towards the main item; if you want the main item in the bundle for cheaper then you pick the most expensive "free" item and more of the price will be allocated to that item. This creates extra work for people working there though so don't surprised if you get the stink eye if you do this often.
This used to be a lot more prevalent when back when you could ship each part of the bundle to different stores, so people would ship the item they didn't want to another store, and it would sit there for pickup before eventually being cancelled, while they went to pick up the item they wanted at the store of their choice. Took Home Depot like 5 years to shut that down, since they got tired of their pickup lockers being filled with tools destined to be returned :v:.

There's a similar "hack" at Lowe's iirc, though I hear it's even more dumb. But Lowe's runs less of those kinds of deals.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 7, 2023

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Bob Mundon posted:

RE Slickdeals, it's kind of a mandatory deals site to pay attention too. There's lots of non deals listed and most can be ignored, but basically any real deal is going to make it on there.
This. I just don't know if I'd recommend checking it daily. They have a new algorithm thing that tries to recommend deals based off your viewing/thumbsup history now on the FP, so maybe that results in more deals that you like.

It's a site that is extremely powerful but I feel it's a bit harder for casual users to get the most out of it.

Other things that are useful:
1.) A lot of the user comments on products can give you a sense of both the product and deal history.
2.) Searching old threads for a product can give you a sense of how often an item goes on sale (where price history isn't available, since there aren't price charts for every store)

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Verman posted:

$99 7 pc dewalt kit from home depot was posted by someone on here I believe. Though I do think it was late at night. I instantly bought 3 assuming they were going to get cancelled it and they arrived a few days later. I don't think I'll ever get another deal like that again. I'll never forget the feeling when my wife texted me a photo that just said "three big boxes just showed up to the house". I literally giggled.

I check slickdeals every so often. If I really need/want something specific I would make a price alert like others have said. Otherwise its sort of just waiting for those deals to come up and act as quickly as possible.
Yeah it was this one :v: https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-...1D2M1/312585400
I re-posted that from Slickdeals onto SA. That was price mistake of the decade sort of thing. So many things went wrong for Home Depot and right for most people that ordered. Home Depot was cancelling orders and still shipping them out, so I never followed up on if that meant some people actually got their tool sets for free. And it came with the nice rolling tool box too!
My guess is that Home Depot doesn't have fine control over their shipping operations at their warehouse (since the store ones were cancelled mostly) and so once it was the order was in the system and already setup to ship... there was no stopping it unless they stopped all shipping operations. It was also Sunday night into Monday morning, like most great price mistakes, so the order was queued up and ready to go. I only got one but I'm happy with it.

Doesn't quite beat out the Prime Day camera price mistake but it's probably second to that for me (or third)!

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

You remember the one crazy price mistake from the gun deals thread that had Midway selling 5.56 at like 10 cents per round? Everyone went loving HAM ordering a shitload of it. Also a deal of the decade.

Then someone posted a hilarious comic of Larry Potterfield (owner of Midway) going ballistic on some entry-level nerd that typed the wrong price in. Absolutely lost my poo poo.

That was hilarious, yeah, though I think Midway cancelled. :smith:

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Doodarazumas posted:

Was that the 80% off deal for those (ballpark) $6000 telephoto lenses? I was talking to a SD mod and he claimed someone got about 15, resold them all and bought a Tesla. Pinnacle of the craft.
It was a lot of stuff. Cameras, lenses, telescopes, and the like. One (or more) person(s) snagged a ~$13,000 telephoto lens. The key thing is everything was marked down to $94.48. In my case I got both a Sony A9 and a Sony a6000 bundle (came with 16-50mm and 210mm power zoom lenses, along with bag and memory card).

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

stealie72 posted:

One of my fancy Ryobi HP 18v batteries is not charging even though it's less than a year old (blinking red on multiple chargers).

Do I just take it back to HD with a printout of the order receipt, or do I need to do something through Ryobi?

Edit, if it matters, it was part of a 3-battery kit from a "buy batteries, get a free tool" deal last June. I don't need to return all three batteries since the SKU is three batteries, do I?
I've read different things; it depends on how much your local Home Depot wants to help you out. Home Depot is the "exclusive" dealer for Ryobi but they don't have any requirement to deal with warranty issues afaik (unless it's within the 30 day return period, or 1 year for HD card holders). I've read sometimes their tool rental desk is treated as an official repair center but no one really "repairs" batteries.

Here's the contact for support: https://www.ryobitools.com/support/contact
I've heard contact by phone isn't so great, but YMMV.

And here's the warranty documentation: https://www.ryobitools.com/support/warranties

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 24, 2023

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

canyoneer posted:

A canister steam cleaner, like so.
https://a.co/d/4DyZxNJ

If that model is a for-sure purchase you're going to keep:
https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1066288/mcculloch-heavy-duty-steam-cleaner.jsp?skuId=92766817

Code FRIEND20 will drop the price down to $120. Free shipping
Hmmm... or nevermind, that expires at midnight. Eh, another coupon will pop up.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

more falafel please posted:

DTO has a sale on reconditioned stuff, the Ryobi brad nailer is $41.99: https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/product/ZRP320
For today only everything is 40% off, including blems which have factory warranty

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

If anyone needs some cheap 4" skinny wheels.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 8, 2023

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Is there any meaningful difference in shop-vac quality or features? I'd like to get one of the more portable suitcase (tacklebox?) style ones to replace our round wheely Shop-Vac brand one.

I remember I was checking and Project Farm did some comparisons a couple years ago

Corded
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSN7PXwn1yU

Cordless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdhuatYzJw8

I know the Roybi toolbox-sized 18V cordless vac is fairly well liked as far as these things go. I bought the bigger one and wish I got the toolbox-sided one.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/search?query=

DTO is having a 40% off factory blemished sale on most things for Cinco de Mayo and 50% off reconditioned stuff. As usual:
1.) You want to buy Factory Blemished if you want that warranty, either for Ryobi's 3 year 18V/5 year 40V or Ridgid's Lifetime Service Agreement warranty.
2.) Shipping is flat rate $15 per order
3.) "40% off" is kind of nebulous in that it's 40% off whatever the price was before the sale. Some things are marked down real low then, while other things are merely 40% off MSRP. This means there may be a good price on something you want to be had, but also know how much your item you want goes for (or whatever you think is a good price).
4.) You're generally lucky if you have a physical DTO store in your area.

I really want a DTO price tracker like camelcamelcamel does for Amazon for reason 3.

There's a slickdeals thread on the sale so people there might have more to say on what a good deal is: https://slickdeals.net/f/16630322-c...ct-tools-outlet

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 06:28 on May 6, 2023

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Slugworth posted:

Not intentionally, but years of water damage mitigation taught me that having water/damp debris in a shop vac is the quickest way to destroy a filter. Unless they've got fancy non-paper-based filters now? The old ones just got moldy and fell apart. And I don't mean with like, gallons and gallons of water in there, I mean like vacuuming up wet drywall debris from small puddles and the like.

And yeah, stuff tends to cement a bit to the bottom, but it's not an insurmountable issue. If having a bit of water in there improves the filtration of the shop vac, making the air in your workspace cleaner, I'd say absolutely go for it, I'm just skeptical about it being good for your filters.
afaik you're supposed to remove the filter if you're wet vaccing; at least for many shop vacs which have a "dry" filter. That's what the Ryobi 18V shop vac says at least.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Platystemon posted:

Yeah you need forty volts for the microwave.

I want Ryobi to make one. It'll be half the price and eventually even cheaper on DTO.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

His Divine Shadow posted:

If it's a one off why not corded?

Now imagine if there was some kind of ANSI or DIN standard for batteries and cordless tools.

Eh, given what happened with EU mandating USB C for Phones, Tablets, and Cameras, it's not out of the realm of possibility that they could mandate a single battery type for power tools.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

wesleywillis posted:

Y'all mfs say "rye-obee" or "ree-obee"?
the latter.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Slugworth posted:

My multi tool broke, and I have been putting off replacing it out of cheapness. I ended up needing one yesterday, and cheapness guiding me, bought the 22 dollar hypertough model from Walmart.

Guys, it's uh, it's pretty good. Like, maybe it ends up blowing up in my face next week or something, but it flew through some T1-11 siding with the supplied blade. It's louder than hell, but that's about my only complaint thus far. Some tools are just simple enough they're hard to gently caress up.
We're in a luxury power tool future where even the cheapest brands, like Hyper Tough, perform pretty well. There's plenty to bicker about which is better and what might be more dependable if you can't afford to have your tool gently caress up or die on you during the workday, but overall power tools are leaps and bounds ahead of what they were, like, 10 years ago, or 5 years ago.

HART is the other Walmart brand and they're known for being pretty decent as far as power tools go. I think you're better off buying Ryobi during Ryobi Days/DTO sales, but it's not a bad choice either if the price is cheap and you don't have time to wait around. But then again HART stuff will sometimes clearance at bonkers prices.

Hyper Tough hand tools though? Ehhhhhhhhhhhhh....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

So a fellow goon on a goon discord pointed this out to me (Not sure what their SA name is):

https://jehoshaphatresearch.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/NEW-ON-TECHTRONIC-Fraud-Against-Home-Depot-June-2023.pdf

The TL;DR is Ridgid Tools, at least as far as "Factory Blemished" goes, is going away on Direct Tools Outlet for the foreseeable future. Currently there are no "Factory Blemished" tools listed. This is likely in response to the report linked above.

More or a less short seller firm, Jehoshaphat Research, previously did research and made allegations on TTI's (the owner of Ryobi and Ridgid brands, as well as Milwaukee) accounting practices (stories here and here). They then followed up on doing a report on DTO selling new tools as Blemished, and how this was "defrauding" Home Depot.
https://twitter.com/jehoshaphatrsch/status/1665893867109883905?s=46

The inventory database on DTO was more or less open for queries (see page 34 of the report) so the short firm was able to calculate how much total stock they were selling of Ridgid products as factory blemished. Since the report was released, DTO has pulled all Ridgid factory blemished products.

Jehoshaphat Research is trying to increase the short on TTI stocks and make their name on what they deem "Blemishgate" (because everything needs to be named after Watergate)

It was good while it lasted. No idea what this means for Ryobi factory blemished, other than that may follow suit eventually too.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jun 24, 2023