Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I have a friend who does drywall profesionally and he swears by the handheld dyson vacuums for his battery powered suction needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

So what tools are you planning to buy? Brand only matters for cordless, and there really aren't many tools where cordlessness gives a significant advantage.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

sharkytm posted:

For a home gamer, Makita LXT is fine. Hell, the new XGT line might decrease prices on the LXT side as pros move away from it. I've beaten the crap out of my LXT gear and never had any issues (anecdotal, I know), and I'm very happy with it. If I was starting over again, I might consider Milwaukee m18 and m12 mostly because of shared chargers and the awesome selection of Milwaukee specialty tools, but Makita would be my #2 choice.

I don't think I could disagree more. I very very rarely drag out any of my corded stuff anymore. Full size router, table saw, chop saw... That's it. Cordless drill, impact driver, impact wrench, circsaw, sawzall, work light, jigsaw, etc, are all 100% useful and less annoying than their corded equivalents. Every once in a while I drag out my hypoid saw, I guess.

I'll give you the drills and drivers yeah. I guess the one where I really disagree is the circ saw, because I can't think of too many cases where I'm using it without setting up a work station anyway, so I just run a cord. And if it's just one or two cuts in most cases I'll just blast it with a hand saw.

What's the battery life and cutting power like on the cordless circ saws and sawzalls anyway? I've heard complaints.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Motronic posted:

You must be hearing complaints from 2002. Did they page you or send a fax?

Seriously...I do'nt know what you're on about, but it's clear you've not used any modern cordless tools. Since Lithion Ion has been a thing they've been fine. They've been exceptional since DC brushless became a thing.

I don't use a ton of cordless tools, but I have some DC brushless drills, which I find have less drilling power than my cheapo corded drill. The complaint was specifically about the Ryobi circ saw, and the most recent complaint was made in reference to a brand new one in the store, as in "I bought this and I use it for like 5 cuts and it dies."

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Well I'm glad to hear that perhaps my reservations were misplaced

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Just to chime in to be contrarian again but I hardly ever use my miter saw and I use my circ saw so often that it basically never gets put away.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

On the same theme I had a drill bit break and go flying last night and it didn't hit my glasses but I'm glad I was wearing them

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Last week my buddy was telling us about his vascetomy and he said it was the best day of his life

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've been thinking about 3d printing trimmer head/blades like that. If you make em out of PLA instead of nylon they'd be more enviromentally friendly too.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

How's the Milwaukee M18 FUEL chainsaw?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Hexigrammus posted:

If it's anything like the Makita 18v, freakin' awesome. I'm surprised how often I'm reaching for it rather than the gas saws.

Needs bigger batteries though. The 3AH batteries it came with don't last long. otoh the batteries will last long enough to limb and buck 15' of 10" log into firewood.

Thanks! Someone in my household has some points to spend and wants a chainsaw and saw that in the list. My own cordless tools are Ryobi 18+ though, so this means we'd be buying into a second (actually third) system. The Ryobi 18 chainsaw looks like a little loving piece of poo poo.

E. Things even have developed since I posted. We want more range for our push mower now too, which is a greenworks one. So we're debating getting another greenworks tool (the 40v chainsaw) to get another battery, or getting a Ryobi 40v chainsaw/mower combo with two batteries, which is available and on sale now too.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 17, 2021

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

drat no Makita 18v chainsaws available in my area

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Home Depot had a 40v combo deal for a 21 inch mower + 18 inch chainsaw + 2 6A batteries. The mower seems good so far. Will report when we try out the chainsaw.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Trip report on the Ryobi 40v 18 inch chainsaw:

I did a dozen cuts with it today, approx, and I'm pleased so far. It's quick, stable, relatively quiet (I could hear the gas chainsaw two lots down over the chainsaw in my own hands) and cuts well out of the box. I had a 6A battery in it and by the end of my cutting it still had two pips on it.

I also played around with a Husquavarna 14 inch battery powered chainsaw of some sort too and it seemed to be decent as well.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I have one of the Rigid steel ones and so long as I'm only using it for sawdust, I just occasionally blow out the filter with my compressor and it's good as new.

Just cleaned my shop with it, actually!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

What's this weird little hammer for

1" chisel for scale

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yep! Blacksmith thread found it at the same time! Thanks!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

There is 100% a Canadian Home Depot Father's Day flyer on their site right now.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Elem7 posted:

I don't know how much localization Home Depots website does but they don't even show the Ryobi days or other memorial day sales when I look. I had thought maybe they weren't doing it where I live, outside CONUS, but when I went to go pick up something I discovered big displays showing deals their website didn't show.

Do you have a "Weekly Flyer" tab?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

idk about electric wheelbarrow (having just looked it up). It strikes me as a solution in need of a problem. I manually moved a shitload of dirt by myself this spring (3 dump trailers worth) and moving/dumping the wheelbarrow was the easiest part of the process. It's the filling of the wheelbarrow that takes time and energy.

If you're going to put power and money into it, go with the bobcat. If you're going to cheap out, cheap out all of the way and grab your work gloves and start shoveling.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

NomNomNom posted:

Trip report on the 18" Ryobi Brushless chainsaw. Bucked up some free logs, it cut them easily to make blanks for woodturning. I did not die.

I have the exact same one and I've used it successfully a few times now. I'm happy with it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

There are lots of options depending on your needs. I bought a DeWalt black plastic wheeled job site chest and I'm happy with it. I don't use it for tool-related tasks (I actually use it for storing/locking sporting goods), but if I needed a chest for putting some drills saws and smaller tool boxes in together, I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

AFewBricksShy posted:

I know there's a decent amount of Philly goons that read this thread.
My neighbor's dad is moving to a 55+ community, he has some old but nice wood working equipment.
A walker turner drill press, unknown make (I can get the info) cabinet saw (pic below) and an old Stanley/Vidmar tool chest.
If anyone's interested I can get you in touch with him.
I'd grab the saw in a heartbeat but it's way too big for my garage.

drat I wish you were nearer to me.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

My buddy who is a drywall pro doesn't touch anything but the premix tubs. Everything else is a waste of his time.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Sockser posted:

The ryobi 40v tiller works well enough for my vegetable beds, except for the one I grow corn in, because the even the small chunks of cornstalk bind it up pretty good

I have the trimmer bhey don't seem to sell the tiller in Canada :mad:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

:wtc: I've searched "Ryobi 40v cultivator" before and I always got "NOT STOCKED AT THIS STORE NOT AVAILABLE ONLINE" what the hell was I doing wrong?

e. ahh I see it was the "40v" part

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

On the other hand the Paul Sellers wooden sawhorses are cheap to build and a good fun practice project and they work really well too.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Johnny Truant posted:

Hey team neon green! Question about the One+ lawnmowers that Ryobi offers, like how powerful are they? I'm in the market for a new lawnmower... and in the past(and the future I'm sure) I have let my lawn get a little overgrown, and am wondering how powerful the One+ models are. Thanks!

It serves us fine, though we haven't had enough rain this year for our lawn ever to get notably overgrown. We got a sweet package deal for the mower + a chainsaw and we're happy.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I, am also happy with my drill/impact driver setup. I resisted getting cordless tools for a long time until goons shamed me into recognizing that my opinions were based on horribly out-of-date experience with them.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Plow will destroy your truck's transmission, from what I learned last year when I was shopping for snow removal options. I use a snowblower attachment on on my riding mower and it's great. I know several people who use the blade on the atv for snow removal and they all love it

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

GEMorris posted:

I know this isn't the woodworking thread but just in case anyone didn't know, but was interested, Christopher Schwarz made The Anarchist's Workbench free to download

And to add to this, I'm doing a build of it right now and posting updates (without pictures so far because pictures are :effort: and I'm embarrassed of my messy shop) every so often in the WW thread. I'm starting to get close to the first appearance of glue on the scene.

It's worth reading the chapters in Schwarz'z book which survey bench types and bench features just to get an idea of all of the variables. And to add to that Rex has two other relevant videos: the English joiner's (aka knockdown Nicholson) bench build from a few years ago, and he has his own very recent (in his last few posts) survey of 5 different categories of benches.

If I were building a work bench out of an existing butcher block top, I'd take a look at the Nicholson patterns, whether I was using it for joinery or for general purpose stuff. They're only about 6-8 hours of work, affordable, and really flexible in design.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

someone is asking me if I want this jointer for free before it gets scrapped:

My instincts say no, but I might be wrong. Is this thing worth any effort?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I know that picture and little else. Apparently the blades still look good?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Hard to tell scale from that picture, but it looks like maybe a 6" delta or 4" craftsman and they are pretty good jointers. IDK how flat everything will be after you clean the rust off or how shot the motor will be after living outside (maybe there isn't even a motor? An old 1/2 hp fan motor would probably work fine) but if you have space it could be a fun project. If you've never used/set up a jointer before, getting it set up might be extra frustrating.

I think it's 6". I'll take the time to take a closer look, then. I think it runs off of an external motor and belt, and I actually have an extra motor around from an old bandsaw that I bought and plan to junk.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Uncle Enzo posted:

Thanks everyone for the table recommendations. I didn't know about the nails in it, I'll leave it in one piece for sure.

Have you done large-scale rust removal before? To get that back in useable shape you'll need:

-angle grinder
-wire wheel(s)
-socket wrenches for disassembly
-chemical rust stripper (+gloves, goggles, applicators)
-level or straightedge
-Sharpening stones
-surface protection oil
(plus many more tools if say a pulley is frozen onto a shaft)

You'll also need a motor if the correct speed and a pulley to fit that motor that is the correct diameter. You'll need to mount it to a bench of some kind and you'll need to replace the belt.

It's completely 100% doable, but if you don't have an accompanying hobby of "machine tool restoration" then that might be a pretty large task to undertake.

I have lots of those things and I'm willing to get the ones that I lack. I'll go take a closer look. If the rust is surface and not pitted I'll go for it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Update on the jointer:

I took a look and I'm going to take it and huck it in the corner and come to it down the road - it's a 4" jointer, not 6", so it'll be mostly useful for edge jointing, which is still useful. I have a few other rust removal projects (an old metal leg vise and the frame of an old sewing machine) so I'll grab an angle grinder when I see one that I want go on sale and go on a rust removal spree at some point.

Funny thing though - I showed a picture of the jointer to my welder in-law who fixed my hewing hatchet and then he gave me an identical jointer :backtowork: so now I have two, or at least parts.

He also gave me the metal I need to make my own planing stop.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Actually here's a question for the thread:

What angle grinder should I get? Canadian Tire is selling a two pack :rolleyes: of Mastercraft 6A 4.5" angle grinders for $80, but for $80 I can also get the Ryobi 18v 1+ battery grinder to go with my other battery tools, or for $40 a 5.5A Ryobi corded on at regular price. The two pack tempts me because it would be nice to have one for a brush and another for a grinder, even though they're pretty trashy tools.

But looking at these cheap tools I'm thinking about the harbor freight advice: don't buy the harbor freight stuff that spins fast, and from what I can see Mastercraft is the Canadian harbor freight, and Ryobi isn't far ahead.

Any strong angle grinder opinions here?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

wandler20 posted:

I thought MasterCraft was the Menards house brand but maybe I'm wrong. I honestly don't think their tools are that bad but I can't say on the cordless stuff. The idea of having two and not having to change out all the time is a great idea. Probably not much help here other than I'd say MasterCraft is quite a bit better than Harbor Freight in my experience. I guess worst case if they do suck after using them a bit you could return them.

Edit: Cordless was a huge game changer in my grinding experience.

oh maybe it's better than Harbor Freight. I have no experience with HF at all. Canadian Tire has two lines of tools: Mastercraft, which is priced around where Ryobi tools are, or a bit lower, and Maximum, which are a bit below Rigid. MC is one of the cheapest tool lines in Canada, though I also see some obnoxiously cheap Skil and Black and Decker tools here and there. I have a few Mastercraft corded tools and they've been alright, but I've slowly been upgrading them (the circ saw is next on the chopping block). None of them are high-speed tools like an angle grinder though.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I went with the two-pack of Mastercraft angle grinders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

While we're on the topic of Ryobi battery stuff, we bought the little flashlight on the loose tools deal ages ago, that thing puts out a ridiculous amount of light and we use it nearly every day. I keep a 2 Ah battery in it and it draws so little power I have never seen it draw a battery down even 1 pip. I'll end up burgling the battery for another tool and throwing a charged one in again later before it ever goes down.

It's a crazy good buy if you have any extra 18v Ryobi batteries around, even old dwindling ones.