Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
A quick question for you people over here in DIY: I have a new bandsaw and am trying to decide what kind of blade I should get as the one it came with is butter knife dull. Something for cutting wood or metal. I cut a lot more wood in my shop than metal but for those times I need to cut some rod or something it'd be nice to just have a tool I can flip on real quick and be done with it. Tell me the downside of just slapping a metal cutting blade on that bad boy and using it as a general purpose blade. I'd like to avoid swapping blades ever unless one is worn or broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

SpartanIvy posted:

With the smaller teeth of a metal cutting blade it'll make slow progress through wood and generate more heat, which could cause scorch marks on larger pieces of wood you're cutting, if you ever do that.

I would say it's probably a non issue

Rutibex posted:

A fine toothed metal blade will work on wood, it will just take longer than a purpose made blade for wood.

Okay. This is exactly what I was thinking but needed that sweet sweet goon confirmation. Thanks, goons!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

LAP , just use your dangermill to cut wood and metal.

While not ideal, would a fine toothed metal blade not make nicer cuts in wood because of the more, smaller teeth?

That's the idea. But more teeth per inch equals less board/ft a minute trough the saw. The reason I asked in the first place was to see if someone was going to say it was unreasonably slow to cut wood with.

DANGERmill has finally been retired. I'm now using the, surisingly, safer free hand slabbing.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

A metal cutting blade will cut wood much much much slower than a woodworking blade and probably make your saw work alot harder especially it you are cutting thicker wood. There are lots of different kinds of woodworking blades that vary from cut fast but leave a rougher finish to cut slow but a leave a very fine finish.

There was a bunch of bandsaw blade chat in the Woodworking Thread a few months ago that starts about here if you want to read up on it: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=2819334&pagenumber=757&perpage=40#post510665793

Thanks for the link. I'm going to definitely take a gander.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Mr. Mambold posted:

Go with a mid-range, medium set carbide toothed blade. Problem solved.

Bang. Done.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Paul MaudDib posted:

actually it's that said mower may have dumped its oil all over the garage floor after I started it up this year, lol.

I worked on it today and I think it may have been the jug of used oil in a trashbag next to it tipped over when I was cleaning the garage, leaked, and ate through the trashbag, but I'm exploring options nonetheless.

I take it very slow on that slope (especially going down) and it's OK but I'd believe I may be exceeding the official safety limits. If I go too fast or spin the wheels I can definitely destroy the turf.

Is there some kind of level or something I can use to figure out just how steep it actually is? obviously I could measure the rise / run but :effort:

There are some clinometer apps available out there if you search around on the play store and such. Should let you lay your phone on the slope and spit out an angle for you.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Just a chime in to say that ryobi tools are totally the right price but if you're the type of person who uses tools to do stupid poo poo or are just generally mean to them they don't last long. If you are that type of person I can't recommend Makita stuff enough. I beat the gently caress out of their cordless tools on the daily and they take the beating. I've made the magic smoke appear on way to many ryobi tools to not throw out this little caveat.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

KKKLIP ART posted:

I feel like I want a planer but cheap planers suck and I don’t think I would use it enough to spend 3-500 on an “ok” one.

What about meeting yourself halfway and getting a hand held power planer? It's not as efficient as a big fatty thickness planer but will still do most of what you need. Plus most of them can cut rabbets too.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I have an old wired Makita one and it freaking kicks rear end.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Bloody posted:

Yeah as I understand it power planes are a niche tool for door hangers, not a portable thickness plane / powered hand plane. Your options as I understand them are a dewalt 735x, a friend or tool library of makerspace with a thickness planer, or a jack plane.

You can make tools do lots of things.

*looks at hand that used to have all it's digits*

Seriously though, I use the gently caress out of mine like a thickness planer since my actual thickness planer bit the dust. Seriously works great.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Vindolanda posted:

No idea about recommendations but Leo of Tally Ho (the least bad boat youtube channel) uses a lot of power planes, largely Makita corded ones I think.

I use a Makita N1900B (moldy oldy) and it kicks super rear end. drat thing is unstoppable and really easy to change/sharpen blades on.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Corded angle grinders between 6 and 7.5 amps. Bosch or DeWalt? Ones I'm looking at are within $5 of each other in price.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I’d go with the dewalt because they are reliable and ubiquitous and I’m sure the Bosch has some overengineered whirlygig to change disks, where the deWalt one is easy and simple.

This is in line with what I was thinking too. Also, the DeWalt is the one that's $5 cheaper so....

Pulling the trigger.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Motronic posted:

Thank you for your helpful response on the tool thread. You're so brave to let us know how you feel about this issue.

"What's the best mower for my eco lawn" would have been much more subtle.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
To be fair, at this point you both seem like tools.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Heh.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Do you have a habitat for humanity restore near you. I can always seem to find good wrenches and sockets there.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
The BIG socket wrenches are like 5 bucks and if you check there every now and then you can find some pretty nice stuff.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Rotten Cookies posted:

I do but the few times I've been there I've never actually seen any tools. It's like 20 of the same countertops, doors, china cabinets, some buckets of spackle.

Whoa. So, uh, I guess not then...

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Rotten Cookies posted:

It's also possible that they do get tools in, but that people snatch then up like vultures.

:sweatdrop:

Oh yeah sorry about that.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Rotten Cookies posted:

Wow, didn't know words could cause physical pain.

Wonder what their dumpster diving policy is

A good pair of bolt cutters (fiskars $39.99) means you make your own policy.

please don't do this

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Here's perhaps a novel question: I am currently restoring some vintage tools. Nothing particularly fancy but valuable nonetheless once they look and operate beautifully. I don't give a poo poo about selling them, I have no use in my shop for them. Usually I'd just give them away in my local LAN thread but is there any good way to donate them to a neat organization or something? Like, do highschool shop teachers take donations? Is there some way to make a saw accessable to an inner-city youth???

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Rotten Cookies posted:

I'm sure local maker spaces would love free tools

That's not a bad idea.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Rutibex posted:

Public libraries will often have tools that people can borrow for a day and return. They would love some free ones if your local library is doing that.

Boom another good idea.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
F shop-vac brand shop-vacs. Unreliable, underpowered garbo.

Thanks for reading my review.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

CommonShore posted:

What's this weird little hammer for

1" chisel for scale

Looks like a hammer for shaping metal sheet. I could be wrong of course but I've seen similar ones used for bashing out dents.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I don't want to like brag or anything but if anyone needs to test their stud finder....

*flex*

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

street doc posted:

I want to move a lot of dirt around. Rent a bobcat? Buy an electric wheelbarrow??

Get the bobcat. The very best argument is this: YOU GET TO DRIVE THE BOBCAT

It's a win-win.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
If you need to do a lot of yardwork dear God buy into the Stihl combi-system. And this is from someone who absolutely hates the gently caress out of gas equipment.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

corgski posted:

Holy poo poo lmao. For anyone watching along, do not make this. Erase it from your memory entirely. It will kill you when you least expect it and it will hurt the entire time you are dying.

Not just you. The reason so many municipalities say feeding your electrical this way is illegal is you can actually backfeed the grid so some unsuspecting lineman can get their face fried off as they work to fix power outages.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Trabant posted:

They do look similar to what I remember seeing, but those strike me as low-powered leaf blowers. Does that sound powerful enough to push air through something like 50 feet of duct?

One rated at 3A probably not. One rated at 10A is going to move a SHITLOAD of air. Like, a lot.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

n0tqu1tesane posted:

I'm not allowed to do handyman work for my wife's friends anymore though, since two of them have died shortly after I helped them out with a few things...

This is why you let professionals handle asbestos abatement.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

I. M. Gei posted:

next week

next week I get a miter saw :getin:

Well???

DISH!!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

I. M. Gei posted:

…… umm… next week is when I’ll have enough money to afford one

and I think that’s it. it’s not a very interesting story tbh

Well, you could start with brand, model, how many amps it pulls, does it compound miter, come with a stand, does it have a laser. We WANT to know.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
drat IT TELL ME ABOUT YOUR SAW YOU'RE GETTING drat IT

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

I. M. Gei posted:

oh right, that

I’m getting this one. the DeWalt DWS780

lately we’ve been having some financial issues and I haven’t been able to afford a whole lot. like I couldn’t even afford a DWS779 which is literally the same saw minus the laser guide, despite it being $200 cheaper, but next week I’ll have enough cash to get either one so I’m getting the one with the guide cuz I hear it’s good and why the gently caress not :toot:

OOooooo. Juicy choice. I've always been on Team Blue (makita) but the few dewalt tools I have in my shop are all awesome af.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Mr. Mambold posted:

Swears are part of construction and woodworking in general, I've found. However, a tool that forces a habitual swear is *not* a good tool. It is, in fact, a goddamned bad tool.

*kicks Ryobi belt sander over and over and over and over again*

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

stealie72 posted:

So its not just me, right? It's impossible to keep the goddam belt on, right?

No matter how light of a touch I take on that stupid yellow wing nut thing!!!! :argh:

Honestly I just needed a sander that day and wouldn't usually slum it like that but it was like $35 at the home Depot and welp.....

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Deviant posted:

and it's still the best drill, driver and leaf blower i've ever owned

:respek:

I can't stop buying Makita tools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

El Jebus posted:

As they say, "when in doubt, hammer it out".

Also, when in need smoke some weed. Not tool related but still good advice.