Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I can't find a cheap enough solution for a tool cart so I'm currently enclosing an old tool stand in roof sheathing and putting casters on it. God I need a place to put my corded MVP woodworking tools. Help me. I'm desperate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
$120 is about $80 too much but aside from staple shop tools everything I buy is used or "needs work".

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

KKKLIP ART posted:

Just got to mess around with my table saw.

Just some regular ripping of scrap wood, getting to know the fence and miter adjustments. Still have all ten fingers and no kickback or any nonsense but god drat they are terrifying. I used the push bar that it came with but does anyone have a push block or bar they recommend? What about those feather things to apply pressure?

Making up a feather board is always a great idea and an awesome quick one-board project to dial your table saw in.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Danhenge posted:

I'm curious about general thoughts on tool storage? I have mostly power-tool centric woodworking stuff that I'm still trying to organize. I have a lot of freedom in my space, which is an old stick frame detached garage with nothing covering the studs. Some of the studs are moderately twisted because it appears to have been slowly sliding off the slab, and the sill plate looks to be in rough shape in at least one corner, so I'm hesitant to hang anything heavy directly on the studs where the sill plate looks iffy. I have some wire shelves in that corner. I don't think it's about to fall down.

I've got most of one wall free, two maybe six foot by 10 foot spans with a window in the middle that I haven't used up. Is pegboard the go-to? It feels really stupid but I had some repurposed kitchen cupboards back in a much smaller space in the old rental and now I feel at a loss for how to organize my poo poo.

Others are going to disagree but the best thing that ever happened to my shop was salvaging some cabinet uppers and lowers and just installing them all over the place. No more dust on my tools and if you walk in stoned it's easily mistaken for an incredibly dusty kitchen.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Rakeris posted:

I think this is the right thread? But I'm looking for what tools I need to repair / replace drywall and retexture it. Was wanting some legit tools that will last not some thin pice of plastic in a repair kit, but not sure exactly what I will need.

I used to do a lot of drywall repair and found that I had no problem whatsoever with cheapo plastic putty knifes. The biggest thing is having one of them fancy vibrating multi-tools oh my god it makes cutting holes for electrical boxes so SO easy. A good sanding frame, particularly one that can be fitted with an extension pole so you don't have to use a ladder to do finish on high up patches. People will disagree with me on this but buy the huge drum of mix-it-yourself joint compound. IT NEVER GOES BAD!!!!! If you love to do slapdash work a fine toothed blade for your circular saw for cutting big panels is nice but that blade WILL be ruined when you're done. KNEEPADS OH MY GOD GOOD KNEE PADS.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Deviant posted:

Looks like I'm gonna score a Ryobi TSS120L for $150 from a guy near me who used it once and doesn't need it.

Not bad for a 12" Sliding Miter Saw

I have a Ryobi 10' miter that sits on the floor of my shop. Everyday I turn the lights on, look at it, think to myself "why the gently caress do I have this thing." Your post reminded me again. I need this thing out of my life. It's like a spectre haunting me.

It hasn't been a part of my workflow for 3 years. It just sits there. Laughing.

E: this is not intended to be a negative review of your upcoming cool tool. Just a soliloquy on the state of my workspace.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Deviant posted:

Is there something you don't like about it? I was going to get a ryobi 10" until i found this.

Not really. It's a miter saw but ever since I got a tablesaw that's big enough to do panels I just cut everything on that. And anything that doesn't get cut on that goes to the shop bandsaw.

Now the one thing I will say about that miter saw is that it came out of the box so far out of alignment it required me to remove all the table bits to set it to true which is a little irritating. If you're getting it from someone else who used it though that shouldn't be much of an issue.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

SpartanIvy posted:

I love my Milwaukee M18 7-1/4" compound miter saw. It's small but does a great job and since it has sliders it can actually cut some pretty big lumber.

What's the footprint of that thing?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Sockser posted:

That is the nice thing about such as the Festool or the Delta or the Bosch— they don’t need that extra room in the back

I love Delta's thought process on tool design. Their cutoff saws are seriously second to none in my book.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

^^^^welp, glad I got my grand dad's old brace and spoon bits.

E: i finally feel ashamed for page snipe without anything that good.
Got a bunch of poo poo from Grand dad's place I should post an antique tools thread or something. But I'm lazy pile of poo poo tbh.

I would post like a m'fer in an antique tools thread.

Just saying.

Oh god I have so many tools.

Help me.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Now I'm looking at loving forges.

loving why, LAP????

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

fins posted:

Hmm.. maybe I should get a quick change toolpost for my mini lathe.

2 days later

Well if I knock out this bit of wall the CNC lathe will fit though the door, but how am I going to reinforce the floor for the 7,000 lb Mill?

drat you eBay!

e: the drat mill won't even fit in a standard height shipping container!

Oh mf'er tell me you're getting a vertical mill and I'll cry with jealousy.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
If that drill can't make a killer espresso then I'm only buying one.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Speaking of tools I banged out my first copper tool yesterday. Here is my incredibly ugly scoop knife:

It actually works great despite being the shabbiest looking thing ever.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Say what you will about Kreg and their products but their big wide vice grip style wood clamps are loving amazing.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

canyoneer posted:

"I have too many clamps, and I always have so many good options and know exactly where the clamp I need is when doing a project" - Nobody

Clamps are the one thing I will 100% buy every single time at a yard sale.

...still don't have enough some how

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Anything but those loving "quick-grip" style shits. Never had one that reliably lasted more than a year.

Also if you ever need some 6' long bar clamps DO NOT get the cheapos from harbor freight. They are extra trash.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

more falafel please posted:

Like the Irwin Quick Grip ones? I use those and the DeWalt equivalents all the time, never had a problem with them. They're a little bulkier than F-style clamps so sometimes they're less than ideal to get in a tight spot, but otherwise they're great.

Totally the Irwin ones. Maybe I'm just cranking on them too hard but now both the ones I have slip every time I use them. I still use them because clamps but still.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Danhenge posted:

Is there a reliable way to tell good quality old Craftsman stuff from newer stuff?

Besides construction quality a quick Google of the model number usually gives you a look at a user manual which tends to have a year printed in it.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Speaking of clamps, how do ya'll clean the teeth of your clamps after glue-ups? Heat gun?

Screwdriver because I suck or methodically picking it with my fingers like a meth addict.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I need to shape some 4x4 pieces for the feet of a trestle table I'm making. Should I find someone with a bandsaw or just try to yolo it with a hand saw? my circular saw isn't thicc enough, but i did use it to shape the 2x4 cleats

I mean, if you know someone with a bandsaw, use it. If not just take a coper to it. It'll take a while but should do the job.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
$150 for a standing drill press?

Uh buy it. NOW NOW NOW.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Danhenge posted:

It might just be the same import as the chicago electrics from Harbor Freight. Looks kind of similar?

Are you thinking the Central Machinery one? That's still a dang good price and if you're only using it for wood it'll last for like the next 50 years.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I still see people hocking their old CM benchtop drill presses after years of work time on them.

E: realized you said it's the Chicago electric. Not too sure about those but if they're of comparable quality to the CM then I'm still in camp Go-for-it.

Literally A Person fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 30, 2021

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Mr. Mambold posted:

That seems really arduous. What about a bow saw?

Oh yeah. Whatever handsaw will do the fastest and closest work, my goon. My coper is just what is always at hand on my bench....

Before I got my bandsaw :getin:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Danhenge posted:

Well, it sold within six hours so I guess it was a good deal. I couldn't have gotten out there today anyway.

I mean, to be fair where I live that price on that machine would have been lucky to make it an hour. Better luck next time.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
So has anyone here ever used their bandsaw as a belt grinder? How did it work??? I am seriously thinking about pulling the trigger on some 70.5" sanding belts.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Build your work bench out of metal. LIKE A MAN.

WOOD IS WEAK. METAL IS STRONG

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Make it out of diamonds, you wimp.

:aaaaa:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

FISHMANPET posted:

If you can get someone to yell at you and belittle you while you do it, that would be even better.

Fine, just let me finish my coffee...

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Nothing like a handmade wooden toolbox, though. You feel like a drat craftsman walking around your "everyday" tools in one.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Sous Videodrome posted:

Apparently Bosch has two different and incompatible 18v systems. Nice discovery. At least I can return this useless and expensive battery that I bought

Bosch? Overly complicated???

:holymoley:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
What's always worked best for me is to drill right down the center of the screw with the largest bit I can get in there without hurting anything and then jam the tightest allen wrench I can fit in my drilled hole. For some reason, I really don't know why, this has worked for me like a million times.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

NomNomNom posted:

Habitat Restore haul of the century:

Okay Big Shot, tell us how cheap so we can all congratulate you.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

NomNomNom posted:

Crap, thought I added that. $45 for the chest and $25 for the bandsaw.

I hate you.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

GEMorris posted:

The problem with powered miter saws is that the dust collection is abysmal on all of them.

This is true but it really is the nature of the beast until you start buying cray expensive stuff. Like nearly only stupid people cray expensive.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I just have an air gun for my compressor. Boom. No more dust.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

GEMorris posted:

Except in your lungs and all over your shop.

I mean, yeah....

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
A tool related thing. Just finished a new handle for this 100+ year old hammer:

This one is made from holly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Johnny Truant posted:

Also a tool related thing: so a homie of mine saved me a bigass workbench top, basically a butcher block. Anyone have any recommended "build your own workbench" plans, guides, etc?

I could figure it out myself (famous last words?) but any advice/recs/guides would be much appreciated!

Someone posted link to some plans for a workbench probably 4 or 5 pages back and it looked awesome. Let me search it out.