Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

I bought a house and I need some power tools. I like to think I'll do a bunch of poo poo around the house but its hard to say whether thats going to be the case so I'm kind of leery about investing too much. Right now I'm trying to decide if I should go with 12v or 18v. I would assume if I end up not doing as much as I'm thinking 12v will be better due to cheaper/smaller and 18v would be better if I do end up doing more plus it'll be better to have the beefier line if I end up investing in more tools from the system beyond a drill. Is that an accurate line of thinking? Next, are there certain 12v systems that are preferable that aren't necessarily better to look into if I go with 18v? Any opinions on http://thesweethome.com/reviews/the-best-drill-for-common-household-projects/ since they mostly look at 12v drills? I'm also not adverse to trolling the pawn shops looking for used older but still reliable drills even though I'd likely need to pick up a bettery/charger for it. Any suggestions would be great! I might be overthinking this since generally it seems like Milwaukee/DeWalt/Makita are probably fairly similar and come down to how much I want to spend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

OSU_Matthew posted:

If you're interested, there's about 118 pages worth of cordless tool chat earlier in this thread :v:

Nah, only thing I'd add is that 12v is probably adequate for most homeowner type stuff, but really, when's the last time you bought a tool that was just ~adequate~.

Go 18v or go home. You've got a much bigger selection of tools, bigger and better batteries, and the size/weight difference ain't all that much, especially with the new brushless stuff. I'd spend a couple hundred and get a 5-6 tool set, with a cordless circular saw, sawzall, impact driver, drill, and build out from there. Makita has the biggest selection, though Milwaukee (which is now wholly Chinese owned) is catching up, and Dewalt is also pretty good, though they're less focused on random stuff like grass trimmers. Ryobi is adequate for most things, and the most affordable. Bosch has better selection and market share in Europe, it's not very competitive in the states.

I will say, I've been nothing but impressed with all the Makita poo poo I've bought over the last couple of years. The impact wrench zips off axle nuts without a hiccup, the circular saw is freaking awesome for everything from sheet goods to old growth hardwood in my attic, the oscillating multi tool absolutely chews through plaster, lath, and studs no problem, I use the battery led workshop floodlight like every other day for instant portable daylight, the impact driver is hands down my favorite tool ever made. I use the drill with 4" hole saws and footlong 1" wood augers without even a slowdown, and I've abused the sawzall in ways that can only be described as criminal. I can't even tell you how many sawzall bits I've accidentally bent at 90° angles mid cut, and that thing just keeps on trucking like nobody's business. The angle grinder is my only disappointment, because I don't have any 5 amp hour batteries, so the grinder didn't last as long, but I've never run out on a project with twp 3 amp hour batteries in my arsenal. Good stuff, really good stuff

I swear I looked a few pages back! I realize that was probably the most generic tool suggestion request ever but really my biggest concern was 12v vs 18v even though I never really hear people suggesting 12v and its mostly brushless vs brushed chat elsewhere. Thanks for the suggestion to think about a larger set instead of just a drill/impact driver.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

I bought this since it seemed like a good deal http://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-18-Volt-LXT-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Combo-Kit-2-Piece-XT211/205602558 and a good place to start. If it immediately seems like its going to be overkill I'll just return it and look into 12v stuff. Thanks for the advice!

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

I need to buy a miter saw to do trim. Normally with a want I will wait until something good goes on sale but I need this within the next week. Any suggestions for a 10" single bevel thats either worth MSRP or happens to be on sale? Features that make it easier for a DIYer would be extremely helpful (lasers or whatever?) too. After this project I would like to be able to use it for other things too.

For trim specifically, is a stand that has support arms a must have to make it easier?

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Sorry, I should have specified that I have a Worx Pegasus that should work as a stand for it (I think?) but was curious if getting a stand that specifically has those extendable arms was worthwhile and helpful for a small job. Like this guy https://www.lowes.com/pd/DEWALT-Aluminum-Adjustable-Miter-Saw-Stand/3326150

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

I have a feeling the worx table I have should be adequate as a surface to place it on and HD has it fifty cheaper than Lowes but without the free, armless stand so I'll probably go with that. Thanks for the advice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

I'm going to need to pickup a miter saw in the neat future and it looks like Harbor Freight has their sliding dual bevel on sale for $300. It seems like it's compared pretty favorably to the Dewalt equivalent but substantially cheaper. I don't necessarily need the sliding aspect but the price seems pretty good in general. I was thinking I might find something else around Fathers day and I don't think this is a unique sale price for this saw so I could also wait to see what else shows up. Should I just pull the trigger? Look at something else?