Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

So I'm just starting to get into woodworking (parents got me a Milwaukee M18 set for christmas), and I'm considering picking up a combination router set for general joinery and edge moldings. I was wandering around in Lowe's today, and saw that they dropped the price on the Bosch 1617EVSPK to $179, lower than I've seen it anywhere online, and lower than any of the other combo kits I've considered (DeWalt DW618PK, Milwaukee 5616-24).

Soooo... should I jump on it? It was marked "new lower price," does anyone know if that means the price drop is permanent or just temporary? It'd be nice if I could wait until April, since Discover is doing 5% cashback on home improvement store purchases then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

dyne posted:

I don't know if there's anything necessarily wrong with the cheap router bit sets. I have one and appreciate the variety of bits that I have. I haven't been disappointed by their quality and even if they're not as durable, I use them so lightly that I doubt I'll ever dull them.

I also have a cheap bit set (and the same router!), but the MLCS set is in fact 1/2" shank, carbide tipped, with roller bearings. Sure, it'd be nice to have nothing but Freud or Eagle America bits, but that's more than I'm willing to spend right now. I figure I'll replace the MLCS stuff piecemeal as they wear out with nicer things, so I don't take as big a hit all at once. I should hopefully be better at routing by that time, as well.