Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

PoconoHermit posted:

Red Wing boots are the cat's rear end.

The only footwear I've needed for over a decade. Comfortable as all hell, a pair lasts me about 1.5 years, and I think they look pretty snazzy. I got married wearing the pair in the photo.

Are those worx or redwing brand? I think I have the same ones, but mine are worx (got them at a red wing store) and I loving love them too.

Best boots I've ever owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

artificialj posted:

Bought a 3 lb. cross peen hammer there the other day. Was drawing out some steel, and on the 6th hit on the anvil the epoxy holding the head to the handle broke. I mean, I know all I need is to actually put a wedge in there, but why the hell wouldn't it already have one? Who just glues a hammer head on a handle with cheap glue?

On the up side, the hammer was only like $5...

The exact same thing happened to me, except the hammer was from House of Tools (a theoretically reputable dealer) and it cost me 20 bucks. The handle was only half inserted into the hafting hole and there was a 3/4" plug of epoxy on top.

I made it better though.

Also why don't you post in the blacksmith thread dammit?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Heat will warp your boring bar and hurt your accuracy pretty badly won't it?

You're a car guy Sharky, don't you have some ATF you can soak it in for a couple of days or something?

e: unless you already tried that or something :(

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Well poo poo, that sucks.

How much are boring bars anyway? Can you make your own?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Holy gently caress, that thing is a tank :stare:

Just be careful it doesn't emit a poisonous cloud that kills everyone in your village :(

Seriously though, nice find.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

sharkytm posted:

A bench grinder? I sharpen all my bits by hand on my cheapo grinder, and they come out really nicely.

I'll second that.

I've learned how to sharpen all of my bits with a bench grinder, and it works great. Even big ones like 1/2 - 7/8ths.

I used to use a vice and an angle grinder. That worked, but not nearly as well.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Cpt.Wacky posted:

I wish I had a table saw. All I've got right now is a circular saw and Dremel tool.

Angle grinders look like fun. Any particularly good brands or models?

For cutting bottles like that just get a cheap 20 dollar 4" grinder from harbor freight / princess auto.

I use mine with a cutting disk all the time for blacksmith work and it holds up really well. Just an on/off switch is sufficient for this.

If you need a proper grinder, get a 4.5" one at least, and make sure it has a trigger switch.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Was the grinder itself powerful enough to make it spin at the speed you wanted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Iskariot posted:

Oh and I did it in a kilt. :parrot:

Backyard Blacksmith forges in a utilikilt, so do you apparently, and I am seriously considering it. I don't really know why.

What the gently caress is wrong with us man?

Oh also, my princess auto grinder that I abuse the poo poo out of was making unpleasant grinding noises in the gearbox a couple of weeks ago. It threw a ball bearing out the casing (cracked the aluminium casting) and now it runs a lot smoother. :science:

That's the only one I took the shield off of, since I use it for my braided wire cup work.

There's something special about this thing. I stopped using it because I thought it was dead a few years ago. When another one died on me, I tried this one again, and it worked. Not great, but it plugged along like a champ. The braided wire cups tend to be pretty hard on grinders, since they're heavy and you're pressing pretty hard with them, but this one keeps on working. Somehow.