Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

GanjamonII posted:

Any suggestions on a ~$200 pressure washer for general home use?

My father and law and are going halves on it, he suggested a craftsman 1800gph unit and just wondering if there's anything else in that range I should suggest?

gas or electric?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Beat. posted:

I would like advice/suggestions on air compressors. I want to buy an air compressor to do a few things - sandblasting, running a nail gun... sort of heavy duty hobbyist type poo poo. I have been really interested in 'quiet' versions as I live in a metro area but I could work with a noisier one and just use it on weekend/daylight hours but a quiet one would be better. If money were no object (up to 500 or 600 dollars) what would be a good option?

I don't know the first thing about the technical aspects of them other than a bigger tank means more air time and I assume more HP means quicker charging of the tank. Is there stuff I should avoid or be weary of? Can I pick up a used one?

What's your electric situation? Very large ones need their own breaker in your panel.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

His Divine Shadow posted:

Is this a good price for an electric motor? It's 3-phase induction motor (1455rpm) and a whopping 11kw or 14hp, 60 euro bucks:

I was thinking I am gonna build myself a band saw and while it won't be happening this year I think, I decided to start scrounging components. I think 14hp is a bit overkill but eh why not?

Seller says it's in fine shape, but if it ever breaks it should be easy to fix right? I understand these things are usually really drat sturdy, 3-phase variants especially so.

Umm, do you even have 3 phase power to run it?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

the spyder posted:

Not so much a tool recommendation- but I need a new BBQ, any recommendations? I've cooked for years on charcoal and am not adverse to making my own. Propane is also fine.

How many people are you planning to cook for? You could maybe ask in Goons with Spoons too.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

I think that anything from Leatherman or Gerber is going to be good.

Seconded. Both companies have great warranties too.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

canyoneer posted:

Leatherman used to offer lifetime warranties :sigh:

25 years isn't long enough for you?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
I got 1/2"-plaster-with-1/2"-drywall-backer in my house (I got no loving clue why) and I'm still using the original plaster bit that came with the kit that screwed onto the end of my Dremel. I only run it at half speed and go slow, and it's still sharp enough to use.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

stubblyhead posted:

That's pretty impressive. My old house's walls were much the same, and cutting holes with my rotozip chewed up bits incredibly fast.

Then you might be more impressed that I once used it to cut a hole out of the tile backer in my kitchen sink surround to put in a switch box for my garbage disposal. It cut through the tile and cement, but didn't do too great on the steel mesh. I had to switch to a carbide bit for that.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

powderific posted:

Are there any meaningful differences between caulk guns? We just bought a new house and there's lots and lots of caulking that needs to be done. Bathtub, sink, many of the exterior windows, hairline cracks in a cement pad in the back, etc.

Not really, other than a couple features like that wire mentioned above that I second is awesome. Another good feature is the cutter built into the handle for cutting the tip off of a caulk tube.

Well, then there are the big tubes of caulk for stuff like driveway sealing that of course need a big caulk gun.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
You're not supposed to screw them in all the way, that's not how NPT works. You apply thread sealant and then screw them in until you can't anymore. That should be airtight. That's all you need and if you go any further, you risk splitting a fitting somewhere.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Anytime "affordable" is mentioned regarding tools, Harbor Freight is inevitably mentioned. Have you been by your local HF location lately and looked at their wares?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

canyoneer posted:

My HF rule is "nothing that can burn my house down or kill me"

Things that do both are probably OK though

You know, you could probably choke to death on a HF pencil if you were really determined...

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

tater_salad posted:

Ocilating tools are awesome especially for dealing with weird cuts.

Yup. Nothing makes a plunge cut like an oscillating tool.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
You guys want to know one use battery powered reciprocating saws are perfect for? Pruning trees. Any branch 3" in diameter and under is fine for them.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Found this over at reddit:

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Deedle posted:

I like my bits to be very consumable. I'd rather ruin a bit than a screwhead. So cheap as chips bits and quality screws is my philosophy.

That's where drill bit sharpeners come in handy. Drill Doctor kits are the bee's knees when it comes to to putting a cutting edge back onto any dull or broken bit. Of course, spending a pretty penny for a complete set of US-made cobalt steel bits for drilling metals is nice too...

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

nmfree posted:

You can resharpen Philips head bits? Never heard of that before.

Nope. I suppose I should have mentioned you can resharpen cutting and masonry bits. But yeah, fastener bits can't really be resharpened without a machine shop. Well, I suppose you could redo flathead bits with just a bench grinder, but that's it.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Motronic posted:

I'm not sure a Dremel was ever king for cutting metal. They are for light work and overheat pretty quickly when pushed.

Exactly what are you cutting? If it's anything substantial a 4.5" angle grinder is likely the way to go.

...with cutting disc. If you got a lot to cut, get a couple cutting discs, they wear down pretty fast.

Using a Dremel for cutting metal is for when you need detail work on tiny things, or in places that an angle grinder or hacksaw just won't fit. Plus, you need an extremely steady hand and goggles for those cutting wheels. They shatter like nothing and throw pieces in every direction.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

dhrusis posted:

Measure 2x cut 1x!

I've been more a fan of "measure twice, curse never".

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Meanwhile, I'm just over here, playing with my Craftsman 19.2V.... :/ I shouldn't complain though, Sears was smart enough to make their Lithium Ion battery packs backwards compatible with their existing tools, despite needing new chargers for them.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
I swear I remember someone posting a "sliding" miter saw in this thread that didn't have a true sliding mechanism, but rather folding arm mechanism to the side instead so that you could operate such a saw against a wall in theory. I want to say it was a Bosch, but don't quote me on that.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Neif posted:

....and please only electricians use cans of air.

Anybody that maintains computers and other electronics uses them too. Well, if you have a ton of computers like in a data center, it's eventually cheaper to use a compressor.

Actually, those air cans can be used to get gum out of carpet. If you carefully turn them upside down and spray the gum, you can freeze it, shatter it and vacuum up the pieces.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

melon cat posted:

I need a cordless drill. The more compact, the better.

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Tools-Hardware-Power-Tools-Drills-Right-Angle-Drills/N-5yc1vZc7ji

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

melon cat posted:

This is a really interesting concept, but I'm brand new to the idea of a right angle drills. Any potential drawbacks given its design? I've just never held one (or even used one ever).

Their triggers are farther away from the chuck (to protect your fingers given how much closer the chuck is to the grip than on a standard drill), so that means that it's harder to maintain pressure on driving the bit forward as well as keeping it on center. That's why the heavier drills listed on that page come with handles near the head. Those ones are typically used by electricians and plumbers for drilling holes sideways in studs and joists during construction.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Dragyn posted:

I never thought to register for tools. Thank you for this.

We seriously don't need a stand mixer, no matter what my fiancee tells you.

I can see you opening gifts the next day with your family. You tear the white and silver wrapping paper with matching bow off, move the tissue paper to the side, gasp and say "It's a cement mixer! Thank you so much, Aunt Gertrude!"

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

GobiasIndustries posted:

I'm looking to make my own composting barrel following the instructions here:
http://www.wikihow.com/Build-a-Tumbling-Composter

This'll be my first real project, and as such I don't have many tools. I've got an 18v cordless drill, but no bit sets, and a hammer. I'm thinking I'll need a few drill bit sets and probably a reciprocating saw to cut the holes in the barrel? We've also got a ton of stumps and long branches in the yard, including one that's about 6 feet long and up to 10 inches or so in diameter that I'd like to cut up. Would something like the item below be fine for home use, if I'm planning to do most of the cutting inside my garage, or should I go for something nicer? I hear mixed things about Harbor Freight so I don't know yet what is good to pick up there and what I should look for elsewhere. Assume the price is ~20% lower than listing.

http://www.harborfreight.com/9-amp-professional-variable-speed-reciprocating-saw-69066.html

I've used a reciprocating saw for cutting branches before. In fact, cordless ones are awesome for tree pruning.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Delivery McGee posted:

Nice for pruning things that are too small to bother firing up the chainsaw, anything over a couple inches really requires a chainsaw.

If you let the branches get that thick in the first place, then you aren't pruning as often as you should be.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Splizwarf posted:

I have heard a lot about the HF tap and die sets and it's alllll been bad. I think Irwin is the thread go-to, along with the note that of all the tools to buy cheap, a tap and die set isn't one of them. When you need one, you drat sure need it to work and work right, it's not like snapping a screwdriver tip or something.

Seconding this. Depending on the number of pieces, english & metric etc, a good tap and die set can set you back a few hundred. As for making them last, like most things in life, you can never use too much lube.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
I spotted this over at Reddit, the worst wrenches ever:

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Splizwarf posted:

The one time I've managed to dump in one sitting, it was 4 M12 batteries and I killed them at about a 3:1 dead:charged ratio, ie I killed four in a row and the first one was done charging when the 4th one died. However, this is because I was running an M12 Hackzall hot enough to burn myself through gloves, cutting down and dismembering a 45-foot mulberry tree and some pines in 90+ degree swelter. v:v:v

I would consider that cruel and unusual punishment, and was surprised that it worked as well as it did. Waiting (indoors in the AC!) for batteries to charge was probably good for my health and the tool's; it was a brutal hot day.

I've screwed down a deck on a 100+ degree day with a pair of rechargeable Craftsman batteries. Now you think "I'll buy the pair, then I will always have a battery to use while the other is charging!" Then one runs out, you swap to the other, you discover it's dead too, then you look up in the manual that the charger has a safety feature where it will not charge the batteries if the battery temperature is over 96 degrees. On a 100+ degree day.

After I figured that out, we were running our batteries inside to the freezer to cool them down enough so that they would start charging.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
No Makita vibrator yet? Pffft.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

wormil posted:

Unfortunately Craftsman no longer means lifetime replacement. I think it depends on the type of tool. I took in a 30 year old Craftsman stapler and they told me they no longer warranty staplers for life but gave me a "courtesy" replacement.

A year ago I broke my Craftsman tape measure and took it in for a replacement, only to find out that Craftsman doesn't even make tape measures anymore. They replaced it with a Stanley though, which honestly was better quality than the old one.

Also, whatever brand of socket set you get, if you're going to be working on cars, get a universal joint for it. The sets don't ever include those until you get into the 200+ piece range.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
You know, guys, Christmas is coming up...

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Japan makes some cool tools. My favorite is the hori hori. Imagine a combat garden trowel. You can dig, pry, cut and saw all with one tool. They're great if you have lots of rocks or roots in your garden.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
So my Craftsman cordless drill is starting to smell like burning electronics every time I pull the trigger. Is it circling the drain, or is this something I can repair?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

sharkytm posted:

Is the smell coming from the trigger, or the motor? Either way, it's probably gonna die, but it could be the motor brushes. That said, craftsman hasn't made a good cordless drill recently, out possible ever. Perfect excuse for an upgrade to a better setup.

It seems to be coming from higher up in the drill, so I'm guessing the motors. Then again, I didn't get my nose too close.

I don't know about upgrading just yet. I dropped around $150 for 2 of the big Li-Ion battery packs and the charger about a year and a half ago. I'm going to get my money's worth, dagumit.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
So it's time to buy myself a birthday gift. I decided on an air compressor. The problem is that I don't know too much about them. It would be used mostly for auto work, turning lug nuts and filling tires, maybe a nail gun someday. What kind of capacity would I need? I imagine it wouldn't need to be too big for that.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
I forget if I asked this here before or not. Anyway, after 10+ years, my Craftsman cordless drill now stinks when I use it, like fried electronics. It seems to work just fine though. So what's the verdict? Brushes going bad?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

deimos posted:

Does it have any rubber grippy surface?

You mean around the handle? Then yes, kind of, mostly, for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Squibbles posted:

I thought that was supposed to smell like old feet or vomit, not burning electronics?

What he said. This wasn't a plastic smell, it was an ozone smell, and it only happens after I pull the trigger.