Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
I want to build a table. Like, a 10' long table. Something like this: http://imm.io/3VLb

Instead of countersinking and doing all the pretty stuff with screws, I'd love to use a nail gun and do the joins in half the time.

I know I'll need either a framing nailer or a finish nailer, but I'm getting mixed signals on which type would be the best for this job and for others of a similar size that I'll do after the table.

Also, aside from craigslist/classifieds/ebay, anyone have recommendations for smaller-sized auction or sale sites? I see this as a very addictive hobby and want to expand my resources for obtaining tools as cheaply as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

dwoloz posted:

Buying a compressor and nailer for this project would be overkill. Building a house, sure; building a workbench, meh.
Screws go in pretty fast, wont save that much time with a nailer. Hammer and nails would be just fine too. You'd want to predrill for the screws (and for large nails) and I can't recommend this enough: have both a drill and a driver (impact or otherwise). Makes the process very quick and easy

I wanted to avoid the large surface holes because I won't be doing much finishing of it (paint/stain-wise), and I was under the impression that a nail gun would make for a much cleaner entry hole. I haven't found a combination of wood fillers that I've been able to blend to really make the holes "disappear" in past projects.

Aside from just building this table, I'd be building other things in the future - coffee tables, bedframes, chairs, etc.

My larger question was whether or not, structurally, a finishing gun was sufficient for projects of this size. I think I'm getting the impression that it's not, and while I don't necessarily need a framing gun to build what I'll be building, it wouldn't necessarily hurt. Appreciate the responses.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

What device do I need that'll tell me how many watts an outlet can handle?

I have a couple of outlets in my kitchen that are the "-| |" style ones that are supposed to indicate they are the 20A outlets, but how do I know for sure that I can plug in a 2000w appliance - a heat stick, in my case - and not have bad results?

Is there a tool that I can insert into the outlet and determine what load it can handle safely?

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

DrBouvenstein posted:

Find the breaker for the outlet and make sure it's 20A.

...and that'll be clearly labeled? I'm a bit worried our contractor wouldn't have done that. It's been a few years and only now have I found myself needing an outlet that has to provide 20A. If it's not labeled, is there a no-brainer way to tell if it's what I need?

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Thank you everyone! I'll check this all when I get home. It's all beer-related so it's very important.