Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
That's a great machine. The only features newer TIG machines have that are nice vs old ones are square waves and lower power consumption. That all being said, they were welding with sine waves for a long time successfully, and you're going to be very happy with it once you get a good TIG torch hooked up to it.

How much does that thing weigh btw? Also does it do HF continuously for aluminum, or only for the arc start?

Edit: I bought a mill this weekend.

AbsentMindedWelder fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Mar 21, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
I have the same torch... I personally wouldn't run it all without coolant. Dunno if your cooler is fixable or not, but eBay is a good place to buy them. Until you get a cooler running, you can get a garden hose and hook the torch up to your city water supply.

Also, at 965lbs, between the iron and copper in there, you probably made a profit just in scrap value alone! That's one cool thing about buying old welding machines. Even if they don't work, as long as you buy them at the right price, they are always worth $$$ because of the copper.

AbsentMindedWelder fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Mar 21, 2011

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.

KaiserBen posted:

What sort of coolant should I run? I'm thinking straight water for right now, maybe with some antifreeze added to lube the pump and prevent it from freezing.
Your local welding shop will have special coolant to keep it from freezing, growing algae, and keep from being an electrolyte. It's about $20 a gallon. You'll want to get that in there ASAP before it gets meganasty inside. Just tell them you need coolant for a TIG setup, they'll know what to give you.

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
Speaking of rolling toolboxes, who makes affordable ones that still have a fair bit of quality?

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.

uwaeve posted:

Strangely enough, Harbor Freight, wait for a sale you can get them at like 20% off once or twice a year (this advice is five years old, may not work any more).

Well it looks like the quality hasn't gone down hill. This box is quite nice actually. Just brought it into the shop today. Got the 44". Thanks for the tip! I may or may not get the side cabinets a little bit later.