Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

The best tool I've ever had was a mechanically auto adjusting crescent wrench. Unfortunately it got lost somewhere in the move from my old house to new house and I can't find any information about it anywhere on the internet, just the battery powered auto adjustable black and decker thing. I picked it up at some cheap store for like $3 and used it for drat near everything. :(

keykey fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 28, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

^^^ That's the one I was saying it's not and is the only one I can find info on. That one requires batteries. The one I had was a huge hunk of metal. It would open from a 1/8" - 7/8". Also if you were using it to unscrew anything that had a tight nut on it, you could just use it like a ratcheting wrench because the action on it would allow the head to open and slip past the edge of the screw until you turned it then it would clamp down and go whichever direction you wanted. That thing was god drat awesome. I think the name of the store I got mine at was DD's Discount it was on the last chance isle and they had like 10-15 of them. I knew I should have bought a few more.

edit: on a side note, also this hammer: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...B7W7QH1TYDZMWX6

Dead On Tools antivibration hammer with magnetic nail holder for the first strike. Absolutely comfortable and really no vibration. I had a stanley antivibration hammer I was using for about 5 months then the handle came off completely so I took it back to home depot and apparently that was a common problem so they no longer carried those and the guy told me to pick anything off the hammer wall as a replacement and I went with the dead on hammer because it had some pretty nice features. Really glad I did.

keykey fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 28, 2011

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

edit: Well, I'll be drat.. I finally found it, apparently I was inputing the wrong search querie into google images. "Self Adjusting Wrench" was the way to find it a page or so in.

Click here for the full 768x576 image.

The wrench is a metal beast, it weighs a good couple pounds but it's easily worth putting up with the weight of it considering how much easier it makes the job. Apparently they have them at Amazon.com and now they have 1 less than they did. :)
Though the one they do have is for sizes a little larger than the one I have/had I'll just have that much more range when I find my original one.

keykey fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 29, 2011

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

dyne posted:

How does that wrench work? The handle ratchets and closes the jaw? Looks pretty neat and I would love to have a replacement for my standard adjustable wrench (which I hate)

The head rotates upward and as it does, it opens further. That's how it's easier to loosen or get things tighter.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Found one of these at a garage sale last weekend for $5:

Took it home, replaced the electric cord and now it runs like a champ. It's a 1928 Rockwell 3/4" drill, I'm a sucker for old world industrial equipment. :swoon: