Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!
Oh god. A tools thread in DIY...

How deep will this rabbit hole go?

Also, I have these Red Wings http://www.tylerbrothers.net/safety-toe/red-wing-4473-mens-8-steel-toe-boot

and they are the BEES loving KNEES. I actually own 2 pairs because my first pair got worn out working in a metal shop with shavings everywhere.

I'm starting to switch my brand loyalty from DeWalt to Hitachi recently. Their 18v LiIon sets are pretty nifty and I just got a cordless sawzall and its a BEAST. Don't worry; I own a 13A Milwaukee Corded Sawzall also.

One REALLY nice tool to have if you have the space is the Rockwell Jawhorse: http://www.amazon.com/Rockwell-RK9000-Jawhorse/dp/B0018MRUN4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296026031&sr=8-1

You can find them for about 159 on sale, so wait if you don't NEED one now. They are super handy. Check this Aussie out and his review of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfUb7Y2RAUc

ASSTASTIC fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jan 26, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!

Dielectric posted:

Their 18V li-ion drill rules.

I totally have the 18v Hammer Drill from Lowes when they were clearing them out or something for about $115.00. One thing I think I did was that I hosed up the chuck alignment so it wobbles a bit. Anyone know how to fix this without me going and sending my drill out?

quote:

I got one of these for my birthday last year. It's pretty heavy duty and it's been pretty handy. My only complaint is that it weighs like 50lbs.

This is why you have the roller end! You can lock the movable "single" leg to make it a handle and move it around pretty easy. There is an attachment for this thing where you can switch out the top clamp to accommodate a 4'x8' sheet, but I've never tried it. I heard it might be unstable too :(

Oh well for light duty job, it beats out ANY saw horse I've ever owned. Ever.

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!

kid sinister posted:

Drill Doctor 750X ($130 if you shop around)

This is the absolute best tool I've ever had for sharpening drill bits. It can even do the back cuts for 137 degree bits. What's even better is their customer service. The first one I got was off alignment slightly and had to RMA it. They cross-shipped me a brand new replacement for free. For a $130 tool. Awesome.

My only complaint is that the manual is confusing at times. I recommend the DVD version they include over the paper version.

I've heard this from various people as well. Where did you get yours? This might have to been on my birthday list.

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!

thegreatcodfish posted:

If anyone was planning to get a Hakko 936 soldering station, now is the time. They have been discontinued and I know that Fry's dropped the price to clear them out.

How do these compare to Weller stations? I'm in the market.

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!
I got my Hitachi random orbit palm sander for free with the purchase of my chop saw. This was a deal on amazon a while back.

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!

Iskariot posted:

Tonight I am a vintage DeWalt RAS owner. :fap:

Ohhh! How much did you get it for?

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!

Stormtrooper posted:

Can anyone recommend a good vise brand? I'm looking at picking up a ~40 lb, 5-6" (thereabouts) vise but I'm not sure which brands or models are good these days. I've had no luck finding a "vintage" one on craigslist or ebay, so I'm resorting to buying new. Need one with an encased screw.

An American made one. Seriously.

I have a Columbia made in the USA one I got off craigslist for like $40. Seriously one of the best investments I've ever made. Don't be hasty and just wait for a good one.

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!

Miscreant posted:

If you have an outlet close by there is no reason to get the cordless IMO. I have both and the only time I use the cordless is when I can't run an extension cord. In my experience the corded is more consistent and powerful (plus you don't have to monkey around with batteries not being charged). If I did get a new cordless though I'd go with a Hilti (especially if it's on your employers dime).

Agree on the "Axe" Milwaukee blades, they are awesome.

I agree with this. I have both a Hitachi cordless and a Milwaukee corded sawzall. The junkyard I frequent won't allow corded tools, so I was stuck buying a cordless sawzall when I needed to remove brakes from a truck. Cordless is convenient if there are no plugs around, but if there is any other task that requires a sawzall, I would much rather run a power cord than not.

In other words, both have good points, both have bad points.

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!
I was a fan of DeWalt...Now I'm starting to convert over to Hitachi:

http://www.hitachipowertools.com/index/main-navigation/service-and-support/warranty-info/hitachi-tool-warranty.aspx

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!

MrPete posted:

Well fellas, the wood miner was a bit of a bust. For all the scary warnings and whatnot it was pretty tame. No worse than freehanding a router in my opinion.

That's a piece of camphor I was using as a test. It took the wood away OK but nothing spectacular. Did work a bit better on a bit of lovely pine from an old pallet.

Anyhoo, time to pony up and just buy the Arbortech wood carver like I wanted to in the first place!

http://www.amazon.com/King-Arthurs-45822-Lancelot-center/dp/B0000224SJ

EFB: Check that poo poo out. I have one and its retardly scary having a loving chainsaw spinning at 10k.

Also, I'm in the market for a nice bench soldering station. What do people recommend? Weller vs Hakko?

ASSTASTIC fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 25, 2011

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!
Bessey 4 Lyfe.

Seriously, some of the best metal working clamps I've ever used.

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!
Has anyone seen these before?:

http://www.amazon.com/Trojan-TS-35-35-Inch-Sawhorse-Complete/dp/B0000224RO/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

Its a crazy rear end saw horse that just uses 2x4s as its center. I'm really interested in them, but not 70$ interested.

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!

Cpt.Wacky posted:

I just use a full face shield.

I have the same problem, but with respirators. The top part that goes over the bridge of the nose is right where the pads on the glasses want to be. I think I'm using the 3M 6000 series right now, and I just make do with the pads resting on top of the respirator but it's not ideal. Are there any better options?

My respirator:
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Health/Safety/Products/Catalog/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LES9MG812H2_nid=9WCT6KC8GRbeF3RH7CD92Ngl

My filters:
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...8BC31gv%29&rt=d

My faceshield:
http://www.jacksonsafety.com/linkdetails.cfm?groupid=3002806

I wear prescription glasses only as well. I should really get some OSHA frames/lenses + side shields.

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!

what is this posted:

I build stuff all the time, it's no big deal, and some decent cordless tools have been needed probably for a while.

I'd rather buy a solid, well constructed tool once, than buy and re-buy several poor quality tools.

My only concern was that deWalt was phasing out their 36v line in favor of the 20v line. The price is reasonable, I like deWalt in general, and you can buy batteries online for sort-of-reasonable prices.

My main fear with buying into any cordless line is the battery life/availability. Meaning, it always freaks me out buying too many tools into a line, then finding out the manufacturer doesn't make batteries for that tool anymore or moved away from that battery type completely.

Currently, I've got mostly Hitachi and I love the 18v Li-Ion stuff I have. I've been piecing my set together, which is not as cost effective, but lets me chose what I need it for. I currently have a 18v hammer drill and 18v sawzall. I'm probably going to pick up an angle grinder eventually as well.

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!

The Wormy Guy posted:

Anyone have experience with the Rockwell Versacut?

I happened upon the infomercial and was immediately interested. I just bought a townhome so I'm planning on building some basic furniture, but I have very limited space for storing tools. This looks like a perfect replacement for a circular saw, and along with the track guides and the miter adapter I can also get away with doing more advanced cuts. The only thing it can't do is thick stock like 2x4's but for my use I think I can make do. I have access to a sliding miter saw if I really need it.

On a related note, thoughts and reviews on the Rockwell Jawhorse? Because of the space issue I thought this would be a great "workbench" that I can fold away and put to the side when not in use. It seems pretty versatile in every way.

Not too sure about the Versacut, but I HIGHLY endorse the Jawhorse. I love mine and use it on almost all of my projects. What I have done with mine is used it as a portable table as well where I bolted a piece of scrap wood to my portable table saw and miter saws and used my jaw horse as a stand for both. Its freaking awesome.

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!
Is there a general consensus on the best electric impact gun? Harbor freight one any good?

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!
What are people's plans for black friday? Anyone getting anything?

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!
Got the Ridgid combo pack with the impact, drill, and radio. Word of advice; I was looking on garage journal to see if there were any reviews on it and I found out you could you "competitor" coupons at home depot. I was able to use a Harbor Freight 25% off coupon when I checked out. Some Home Depots will not honor the coupon, but if you have a Home Depot near a Lowes, they usually are super competitive so they will honor coupons. Make sure you bring in a original coupon and give it at check out and not at customer service.

the spyder posted:

Reposting this here: Zoro Tools is offering 30% off on Cyber Monday.

If this is legit I might have to buy a loving TIG welder...

Apparently they had 40% last year.

ASSTASTIC fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Nov 30, 2013

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!

DrakeriderCa posted:

^^ Fuel are brushless.

How much did you use the impact? I've always done everything with a drill/driver and I feel like the impact is a bit superfluous.

I've always been in the "what the gently caress do I need an impact for?" crowd until I got one. Now that I have one, every stuck bolt is a lot easier to remove. I was removing some torx bolts off my roof rack to move some stuff around. Well the roof rack bolts hadn't ever been removed in over 12 years. That many years with a ton of different temperature changes, the bolts are almost impossible to remove with just a hand torx driver. After using my impact driver, it took zero time to remove those frozen bolts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!

Blistex posted:

These were 3" deck screws (green PT specific ones) going through 2" of cedar and sinking 1" into 2x8" PT boards. I didn't buy the equipment, but it's a good lesson on the difference between a regular drill and an impact driver (no I didn't turn on the hammer drill mode).

Personally, I find a nice corded drill to be all I need as I don't often find myself working more than 4' (standard cord) or 20' (extension cord) from an outlet. Some people say the cords are a hassle, but I've yet to hang myself with one or knock down a massive replica of the Leaning Tower of Pisa made of Jenga blocks. Just personal preferences.

Yep. Thinking the same thing. If you are doing THAT much screwing, might as well bring a corded as well just in case.