Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

themachine
Jun 6, 2003

Welcome to the machine
I'm looking into buying a new set of power tools for work, and want some opinions.

A little background: I'm a commercial/industrial electrician. I currently have a 4.5 year old DeWalt combo kit, it's 18volt, NiCad, and consists of a case, charger, 2 batteries, a hammer drill, and a sawzall. After using these tools daily for over 4 years, they are getting just plain worn out. Also, being older and NiCad, my batteries are starting to crap out, and the tools weigh somewhere in the area of a million pounds.

What I'm looking for: I'd like to get an all in one combo kit, with the following requirements. It has to be at least 18 volt, lithium ion, and include at a minimum a hammer drill, and impact driver, and a sawzall type tool. Anything else like flashlights etc. is just a bonus.

I'm torn right now on what's available. I'm looking at switching from DeWalt, because it seems like they are slightly behind on their battery tech, and am primarily looking at Milwaukee and Ridgid. Milwaukee has a set out right now that is basically exactly what I want - http://www.milwaukeetool.com/tools/...mbo-kit/2695-24 This kit seems pretty badass, and Home Depot has it for $380 all day right now.

On the other hand, Ridgid is about to come out with their X4 line of tools, which I have heard and been told several times are supposed to be dead even with the Milwaukee, at a little lower cost plus the lifetime warranty.

In short, should I just go with Milwaukee, a trusted and solid choice, wait for the new Ridgids and see how they are, or the random option, and do something like stay with DeWalt or maybe even Makita?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

themachine
Jun 6, 2003

Welcome to the machine
Yes, weight is a large factor. Right now my DeWalt hammer drill weighs what feels like a literal ton. Carrying it around all day in my holster actually makes my back cramp up really bad. I just don't need a hammer drill for all the drill-type things I do. A lightweight yet powerful impact driver is perfect, because a lot of the stuff I do are things like using self tapping panhead screws to mount a box or straps to metal studs, or using the same screws to screw a 2x4 troffer light fixture into a ceiling grid, relatively light stuff like that, where hammer mode isn't needed. Hammer mode is for things like when I have to run 3/4 inch EMT along a concrete wall, and secure the pipe with Tapcons, situations where I have to go into concrete or block or brick. A heavy hammer drill therefore isn't really an issue, because I'll be using the impact 75% of the time, and when it is "hammer time" (pun intended) having the weight will actually be beneficial.

themachine
Jun 6, 2003

Welcome to the machine
I went out tonight and bought this Milwaukee set here from Home Depot.

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/tools/...mbo-kit/2695-24

$380 bucks out the door, and I feel that I got a really good deal. Plus, HD is running a special right now where you get a free extra battery with almost any Milwaukee purchase, so I got a $120 dollar battery for free, for a total of 3 batteries in my new kit. I have the batteries charging up as I type this, and plan on testing the tools themselves out tomorrow. I'm pretty excited, everything seems really great, plus who doesn't love new tool day?

themachine
Jun 6, 2003

Welcome to the machine
Well, I used every tool at work today, except for the impact driver. Overall, I give them a 10/10 score, everything worked perfectly. The only real complaint I had was that the handle for the hammer drill is not the circular loop fastener type, so you can't spin it to any angle, it's kinda reduced to either facing left, right, straight up or straight down. Not a big deal, considering I never really use the handle anyways.

GEMorris posted:

Not a bad price, but man, That Sawzall looks retarded as hell

Oh I agree, it just looks plain old stupid. I have to say though, it really worked well. It has some sort of anti-vibration setup internally, and it really does vibrate in my hand a lot less than my old DeWalt traditional sawzall did. Also, even though the shape is wonky as hell, it's actually really easy to get a good grip on the tool to support and/or brace it firmly. The odd design almost kinda gives you more ways to hold the tool than a traditional one.

themachine
Jun 6, 2003

Welcome to the machine
I am need of new drill bits. A long time ago, I bought a big DeWalt box of bits from Home Depot, and it lasted alright. A lot of the bits broke eventually, and some have become lost. I'd like to get another set, but am not sure what the best bang for my buck is. Should I just go with a major name all in one set (DeWalt, Milwaukee, etc.), is there some other brand I should look at, or should I just buy bits here and there from whatever name is available?

themachine
Jun 6, 2003

Welcome to the machine
Since we are on the topic of eye protection, maybe someone can help me out. Are there any good safety glasses/goggles/etc. that are good for someone who has to wear prescription glasses? I have to wear glasses 24/7, and due to my weirdo eyes, I cannot stand wearing contacts. Lasik is an option down the road, but don't really have the money for it now. I have a pair of prescription lenses in an OSHA rated frame, but they are uncomfortable and incredibly dorky looking. I'm hoping there are some kind if slipover type thing out there that can work.

themachine
Jun 6, 2003

Welcome to the machine

GD_American posted:

You can buy side shields for prescription frames fairly easily. Pretty much everyone I knew either did that with their normal prescription glasses (which isn't up to book standard, but few cared unless there was an incident) or had a work pair of ANSI rated frame and lenses.

How likely is your employer to eat the cost?

Yeah, I was looking into some side shields to just put on my normal glasses, but am having a hard time finding any for some reason.

It is just about 100% certain that any equipment like this has to come out of my pocket.

Like I said before, I do have an OSHA rated pair of prescription glasses with side shields, but they are not as comfortable as my normal glasses. Seems like adding side shields to my normal glasses would probably be best.

themachine
Jun 6, 2003

Welcome to the machine
This may be a little too specific for this thread, but I thought I would ask here.

Recently, I kind of fell into an independent contracting gig installing DirecTv satellite television. I've been working with a partner, and am ready to go solo. The most important tool I need, and the only thing I lack is a satellite aiming tool. Everyone I know in this industry so far uses what is called a Birdog, seen here https://www.perfect-10.tv/marketing/birdog/ .

Now I know that will work and am familiar with using one. My question is, are there any other alternatives that will do the same job for a lower cost? For me to get one of the above tools, it will probably run 400-600 dollars depending if I go used or new. Money is kind of tight for me, so if I can get something that will work just as well for a lesser cost, that would be great. Does anyone here have any familiarity with these tools and any recommendations for me?

themachine
Jun 6, 2003

Welcome to the machine

CuddleChunks posted:

I'm pretty sure this is what we use for aiming. I'll check with our satellite guys but you're likely going to need to buy one of these to do your work properly. It just means you need to save up from your next few jobs until you can afford that tool. Here's a site with a variety of tools so you can see that the birdog is about mid-range for expense. http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Order/Signal-Meters.htm

Edit: Yeah, we use the Birdog USB for all of our Dish Network installs. We've got an AccuTrac and some other hunk of junk but those might have been for when we did Hughesnet/WildBlue installs.

I ended up getting a Birdog. I got lucky and found a guy who is tired of this work and is just selling all his stuff off super cheap to get rid of it. Got a fantastic deal on it too. Probably for the best, the Birdog is what I am already used to using and all my fellow techs use one as well so if I ever need help with it, someone will be able to lend a hand.

themachine
Jun 6, 2003

Welcome to the machine

iForge posted:

Just bought this Milwaukee 18 Volt Lithium Hammer Drill/Driver and Impact Driver Combo at HomeDepot for $229.99. I had a $50.00 gift card from Christmas so that brought it down to $179.99 and I already tested it out on some scrap lumber and concrete block and it is unstoppable. Probably went way past its rating on this, but I ran a 6 inch hole saw through a 2x8 board with no issue. Hammer function works excellent too. Drilled a 6 inch deep x 1/4 inch hole in the concrete block in a matter of 10 seconds. Will be using it at work for the next couple of days so I will report back on it, but based on reviews and my initial testing it seems to be an excellent tool already. My 3 year old DeWalt 18 volt Hammer Drill is wearing out and I wanted to get a more reliable tool. It still spins fine but the hammer function is so worn out that it takes forever to drill into any masonry. Im EXCITED for work tomorrow so I can really put it to the test!

Edit- Bad link. If it goes down again go to HomeDepot's website and copy/paste 202951723 into the search.

I have these exact same tools except that mine came in a set that also included their hackzall and a flashlight. They are awesome. Compared to my 5 year old DeWalt set, it's a night and day difference. The tools are ridiculously strong, really light, and I love how the grip is in your hands. Also, the batteries last forever even in cold, and charge really quickly as well. They are fantastic tools.

themachine
Jun 6, 2003

Welcome to the machine

Elston Gunn posted:

I have the same Milwaukee M18 set and picked up another belt hook and bit holder for the drill from this guy.
http://tinyurl.com/7stralo

Thank you, that is awesome. I was just about to order a 2nd belt hook off Amazon for my drill, when I saw your link. For the same price, I can get the hook and the holder too now, sweet. Also, I had no idea that bit holder existed, looks like a nice way to fix one of the few very small issues with the drill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

themachine
Jun 6, 2003

Welcome to the machine
I'm looking for a specific ratchet wrench, and hopefully someone here can help me find it, if it exists.

I use wrenches like these every day at work, http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100007347/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=husky+ratchet+wrench&storeId=10051

What I would love to have is a single wrench, with one end being 7/16ths and the other being 1/2in. These are really the only two sizes I need, and having them be combined in the same tool would be awesome.

Anyone know if such a wrench exists?