Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe
If this thread accomplished nothing else, I would be satisfied if caused at least one person to get a decent tool or 3 instead of a dust collecting stand mixer for a wedding present.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe
Wait, there are people in this thread who still park cars in their garage? Where do your tools live?

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe
This is going to stretch the upper bounds of this thread but I really don't think it fits anywhere else either.

The bookstore my wife managed closed and this past weekend I went up with my tools to help her disassemble everything for the company trucks to haul away the fixtures. After she had me undo the 2 Putnam ladder company rails she informed me that her boss said she could have them and the 2 beautiful ladders that were in the back! So... now I have 2 ladders and nothing to do with them, they don't fit upstairs in my wife's library. I could use one in the garage for some kind of truly insane pegboard system but now that I have my rolling carts that might also be overkill. Maybe if we redo the kitchen we could put one in there... Thoughts? Ideas?

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Also: buy tools when the job requiring them arises. Don't buy tools in the anticipation that you'll need them eventually.

This man is clearly crazy because down this road you don't get to collect near as many tools. I recommend you buy them when they are on sale or look really cool and think you may, sometime, eventually, when things finally slow down, get to a project you vaguely started thinking about.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe
So the nearest local ACE store to me revamped to True Value and now is going to move to a new location about half a mile away from it's current spot. Everything went on sale at least 10-20% (most of it 30% or more) and all ace branded stuff was around 50% off.

Needing absolutely nothing, I managed to spend $175. I might be ready to admit I have a problem.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe
I picked up a very strange saw from my grandparent's old house recently. It's like a 20" pruning saw but on the top of the blade is a fine tooth blade more akin to a finishing saw. Anyone seen something like that before? I'm not sure how useful it would actually be to use so I'm debating if I should sharpen it up and redo the handle or if I should just glue up the cracks in the handle and turn it into a wall hanger.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe
Here's a cell phone pic sized down a bit. It's hard to tell in picture form but the blade on the bottom has much larger teeth than the top, not as huge as what you'd buy for a pruning saw today but definitely more of a rough cut purpose. The handle is missing a bolt and has 2 cracks, the one by my thumb goes all the way through but a little glue and a clamp and I'm guessing that'd be fixed right up.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Anubis fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Dec 3, 2015

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe
So, new years resolution is to learn some basic welding skills. I'm leaning towards TIG (willing to listen if that's a mistake) and want to be able to do both steel and aluminum. Any recommendations on decent quality home equipment? (try and keep me all in on the machine under a grand) I got a 220v line and 110v so no worries if that's an issue. Thanks guys.

Anubis fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jan 5, 2016

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe

Wandering Orange posted:

What country do you live in and what other tools do you already have (do you need to purchase fabrication stuff along with welding gear)? Clamps, saws, grinders, sanders, etc.

US. Just from the carryover from my wood shop and general tool collection habit I own; a drill press, a few basic pneumatic cutoff tools, high speed grinders, vices, most of your standard clamps, various saws of power and hand varieties, couple metal snips, basic tap sets, files, and I recently started messing about with backyard foundries for bronze and aluminum casting. My main shop addition that I know I'll need (besides the machine itself) is a welders table, so I got a bit of dedicated welding space away from the sawdust. I don't plan on working on anything too large anytime soon, maybe 2-3 foot long max.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe

IOwnCalculus posted:

I just snagged this jig for doing rip cuts with a circular saw, haven't had a chance to use it yet.

I own one, it works really well but you might have to clean up the edge just a touch if you're doing furniture making or something precise like that.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe
I am finally sick of my lovely pneumatic brad nailer and need recommendations on a new one. A finish nailer combo would be even better. Just looking for something that doesn't constantly misfire nothing, maring the wood, or drive the drat things 3/4 of the way. Leaning towards Porter cable but I haven't looked at good reviews on them for some years now.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe

stealie72 posted:

Edit for breaking news: Not that Crafstman has been anything but crappy this millennium, but Sears is selling the brand to B&D: http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2017/01/05/sears-kmart-stanley-black-decker-craftsman/96191312/

Was just coming to post this. I'm kind of interested in who exactly owns what brands now...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe
Double post