Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

ASSTASTIC posted:

I was a fan of DeWalt...Now I'm starting to convert over to Hitachi:

http://www.hitachipowertools.com/index/main-navigation/service-and-support/warranty-info/hitachi-tool-warranty.aspx

Note that the warranty would appear to not cover battery degradation, and "lifetime" means "the period during which all components are available".

I'm sure that all battery powered tool warranties would be similar in this regard, but just pointing it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

If it's such a an important safety case that they should mandate it come on all products then surely it's important enough that the government could free the patent to anyone who wished to implement it on their products.

Oh wait, that won't happen because the guy crusading for the former is the guy who owns the latter.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

I forgot to share the best utility knife. Now I've carried an expensive bench made but I really worried that if I lost it I would be out $80. So I found this at a local hardware store. I haven't found one similar to it.

QuickSlide™ Pocket Knife

Height 1-9/16"
Length 5-3/4"
Width 3/4"
Weight 0.36 lb

The blade release works great and ive even taken this knife apart numerous times to clean it and lube it. I like that its not flip out because this is way easier to open up.

If you need a good knife for work i'd suggest this one.

I'm not a fan of Stanley and to be honest that slide mechanism doesn't look that brilliant/long-lasting to me. Surely the plastic parts are going to wear and then you have to chuck it out?

I know you said you don't like fold-outs but for anyone else interested I have a strong attachment to my Superknife.
http://www.superknife.com/

That said the website is looking pretty sad these days. Wonder if they went out of business?
Obviously the replacement blades are all the same so you could put them in anything but theirs are way better than Stanley brand ones besides.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

The whole thing is metal, I don't think any part of it is plastic. And one knife i've been using over a year. The I lost one on the job site.

The thumb lock on the slide mechanism looks like that brittle plastic in the pic, if it's not the I retract the statement. :)

Dunno what's so great about the SK2 then if that Stanley is also all-metal. I guess a good design and sentimentality.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I've only been to cash weddings so far but I'm definitely remembering that little tidbit for if one of my friends decides to use a traditional gift registry.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Noctone posted:

It's just the way of the tool world. Hell, I remember seeing HD selling a DeWalt 12V drill/impact kit for $199 at the same time that they had a 12V drill/impact/recip kit for $179. And the drill & impact in both kits were the same.

I've noticed that AU toolshops are importing drill/driver sets from the US, selling the individual tools in their stores (without 120V chargers) at a profit, then selling the batteries on ebay. Presumably this keeps them in the good graces of the manufacturers as well as a tidy profit on the side. And the batteries are actually cheaper than Amazon's or fake's, too.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Yeah, it would be great to be able to buy cheap chinese plastic shells in various manufacturer-specific shapes and be able to load them up with good quality 18650s.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I bought the locking shifter after seeing the recommendations in this thread.
http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-85-610-10-Inch-MaxGrip-Adjustable/dp/B00009OYGZ/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

Forgive a dumb question, but how the heck do you lock it? The lever to unlock it is narrower than the ridge on the shaft so I can't press the lock in.

edit: it won't lock the handle or tighten the jaws unless the jaws are around something, duh.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Nov 30, 2013

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Not an Anthem posted:

Work is buying hearing protection and wanted to know if we had any favorites. Are the electronic noise dampening ones any good for shop work out just shooting sports? I kinda wanna go nuts and get electronic cutoff ones with Bluetooth to listen to music with too.

I was keen to use my Howard Leight electronic shooting earmuffs to be able to listen to podcasts while doing household chores, but I found they suffered three issues:

-The speakers inside the earmuffs did not amplify the music/podcast audio enough
-The sound reduction given by them is not as much compared to a cheap pair of normal (larger, thicker) earmuffs
-Most importantly, the algorithm used to decide which frequencies or noises picked up by the microphone to send through to the speakers is not good enough at detecting and cutting out white noise like motors and vacuums, so it's actually making it even louder to your ears.

I gave up and just use my normal earbuds underneath a set of passive earmuffs. I run the cable through my shirt which works well enough except in really hot weather obviously.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

What's the style of the brown bit on top called as opposed to the smaller silvery bit beneath it?

The brown bit with the narrow section fits in my impact driver without falling out, whereas the other one will come out with gravity or even slightly too much friction from whatever it's driving.

Apart from that difference they are both 1/4" hex bits.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Thanks, that was really what I was after.
Wanted to know the correct terminology so I can buy the right thing in future.

Of course I'll need to get an adaptor anyway as that bottom one is one of a kind. :negative:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

iForge posted:

For the sake of curiosity, what makes it one of a kind? Some kind of security key for special screws?

One of a kind is a little bit of an exaggeration, but it's a weird square drive for drum kits that I had to pay 12 goddamn bucks for in a music store because the hardware stores don't have anything that will fit.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Bad Munki posted:

You got a grinder? I bet you could convert it.

I'd be game to try it except that buying a $7 adaptor that will be handy to have anyway is probably smarter than risking $12.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I bought a cheap curved shaft whipper snipper and regretted it. The thing was crap from day 1 and eventually the shaft snapped. Luckily it was accepted under warranty for a refund.

I bought a straight shaft model of the same brand for about $50 more and it's been great.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

As an example, a high quality computer power supply of say 850W is between $150 to $200 in a highly competitive market, is a pretty large physical size and requires hefty active cooling even though it's a box full of holes.

One can imagine that a properly designed version for power tool usage, with a much smaller market, needing some fairly long high-gauge wiring due to the low voltage, would cost significantly more.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Put something against the wall too so you don't scorch the paint.
I didn't think of that when I was cutting some dynabolts out of the slab and had to repaint.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I painted my house last weekend and behind the mirror there was a father's day card and the front panel of a bar breathalyser machine.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

PuTTY riot posted:

Can you take off lugnuts with that impact driver?

In theory you could if they are not over-torqued, and you had a 1/4" to 1/2" adaptor that is rated highly enough for impact drivers.

(ie. a quick google indicates lug nuts should only be done up to 100 ft-lbs whereas most good impact drivers are 1300-1500 "inch-lbs")

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Post hot wire cutter pics and the most DIYedest imgs you got for Christmas!

Wifey got me a Hitachi cordless sawzall. :)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

canyoneer posted:

I got those cool Howard Leight active noise cancelling earphones with the aux jack. Will be great for listening to music while wearing ear protection and running loud stuff.

Hate to be a downer but they aren't very good at all for listing to stuff while working with things that make noise.
I gave up on them and went back to putting in earbuds underneath regular earpro, which as a plus also has a higher NRR.

Now what they are good for is people talking to you while there's intermittent loud noise.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Laminator posted:

Suggestions for a corded hammer drill that's reasonable priced? HD has the $50 Ryobi, but reviews say it has problems with old concrete and I need to be drilling holes in concrete that's potentially 50+ years old.

A cheap SDS drill might be a better idea.
Drill the holes you need and then if it dies so much the better so you can take it back for a refund.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

18V opens up more options for compatible skins in terms of power - eg. sawzall, dustbuster, leaf blower, hedge trimmer.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Mine is a cheapy and it says to take out the filter and to put on a rubber foam condom instead when sucking up water.
Assuming yours didn't come with the same type of thing (and probably even if it did) it will be fine.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

The Hitachi stuff is awesome and high quality with the only problem being the skins you can get is not as wide a variety as some other brands, and they have no commonality between 18V and 36V systems.

The drill driver kit for $150 or lower is very good value, if you can wait for a sale.
http://camelcamelcamel.com/Hitachi-KC18DGL-Lithium-Driver-Impact/product/B00N3W70P0?context=browse

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

asdf32 posted:

I was contemplating the Ryobi 2X 18V mower. It runs off 2 18V at the same time and the kit comes with two high capacity batteries. The main attraction is that Ryobi 18V line is well supported with lots of other tools. It gets ok reviews but I tend to assume it's weaker than most 40V kits.

"40V" is most likely 36V nominal.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

deimos posted:

Buy a cheapo grey market knock off from aliexpress and transfer the guts. Getting a grey market knock off is cheaper than trying to just get the carcass (but look for it anyways, rarely you can find it cheap).

Nothing there for less than $100.

Too bad, because I would like to get some slide connectors so I can power things from my drill batteries.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

stealie72 posted:

Ask me why I don't use identical gas cans any more, and why I gas up my new chainsaw from a can with "MIX" written on it in huge letters. :downs:

Not only that, but my dad has taken to enumerating the tools that are filled from each jerry can on the side.

So there's one jerry can with "chainsaw / whipper snipper / blower" painted on the side and another with "mower / mulcher / generator".

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I saw in a hardware catalogue that Hitachi now has a buck converter "skin" with a USB socket on the end.
Great idea, but they want $50 for it. :stare:

Made one myself for about $3.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Spookydonut posted:

Brick house with plastered walls.

I also have a half face respirator which has done really well in protecting me from sawdust. It has dual filters for particulate and organic gas fumes for when I start painting.

I'm gonna need to hand sand a poo poo ton of chunks taken out of corners and patches of dented plaster after I fill them.

This post triggers me.

Stupid brick construction.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Otteration posted:

I quit sanding drywall projects when I discovered the sponge:

http://www.menards.com/main/buildin...240741918491429

I thought they took those off the market.

I had to do a hard-target search of every hardware store, building supply store, paint store and home living store in a 25-block radius to get them!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

42W * 16 is still 672W of power; possibly higher. It would definitely make economical sense to have the ability to run only some fraction of that at a time if full illumination is not needed.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

canyoneer posted:

Yeah my wife was telling me one of her friends had her husband convert their battery powered baby swing into a plug in.

I told her I'd rather keep buying AA batteries rather than immolate my baby

A 6V 1A wall wart is a bit different to a few hundred watt power tool.

(I did the same, think, gently caress buying D cells.)

E:F;B

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Get two angle grinders. One for cutting, one for a flap disc.

Never again shall I have to switch back and forth between discs!

Three. One cheapo 18V with a cutoff disc to keep in your boot to cut off... boots.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

uwaeve posted:

Peltor TACTICAL are the ones I know of, there is a 100, 300, 500. It’s what all the cool kids shoot with. Their 500 model is a Bluetooth headset. I haven’t used the 500s so I’m not positive how the amplification works with or instead of the Bluetooth functionality. I have the 300 and they are great for talking at the range, the amplifier function works well and shuts off for the shooting. I have some Apple EarPods that I wear under them for working around the house where I want war protection and podcasts, they’re small enough that they fit basically under the earmuffs, especially if you buy the gel ear pads (buy the gel ear pads).

So to reiterate, I bet the 500 will work for you, but don’t know how the amplification and Bluetooth interact. I also don’t know if the filter out all sound above a threshold, or if there is a temporal part (time gating optimized for gunshots).

No matter which you go for, get the gel ear pads, they’re worth it. I lend my 300s with the gel out when I bring someone shooting and I wear the 100s with stock ear pads and they kind of blow, so the friendo gets the good ones.

If you do decide to go with something like EarPods or some other Bluetooth earbuds, chances are you can get some cheap earmuffs to go over them. I went with these specifically because I wanted them to be multipurpose: shooting classes where I want to hear the instructor, and also mowing and blowing the lawn, and i guess if I didn’t have the EarPods I might have gotten the 500s.

Do you find that the Peltors work the way you want with tool noise?

The ones I've used amplify all noise, not just speech, so you have to turn them off and use them as dumb earpro when working.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

uwaeve posted:

You know I’ve never tried to see if they limit based only on amplitude, I generally keep them off for yard work. I’ll have to test it.

Nope doesn’t work for poo poo. Level bounces around but it’s mainly the sharp noises it attenuates for.

Yeah, I just wear earbuds under a pair of high-NRR earpro (either a dumb one, or a shooting one turned off.)

But I can see the idea behind having a pair for tool use that would work off speech frequencies only. If it was Bluetooth, it could even pause your audio when someone started talking to you.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Sounds like this might be too late, but if I lived in a concrete house, I would definitely buy a cheap corded SDS rotary hammer drill.

I have installed multiple safes (i.e. drilling into concrete slab) with a fake corded hammer drill and it sucks.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Grem posted:

My screws keep coming out of my doorknob, mostly due to kids being kids. My doorknob is round and it makes getting a screwdriver in to tighten the screws a pain in the rear end. Is there like a tiny, uh, sideways, screwdriver or anything?

This is my life right here.
Already shattered one leverset (probably due to the chineseium construction but still.)

I'm wondering whether I will regret loctite-ing the threads...

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

~Coxy posted:

This is my life right here.
Already shattered one leverset (probably due to the chineseium construction but still.)

I'm wondering whether I will regret loctite-ing the threads...

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

You won't but the next person to live there will really hate you

I found the matching leverset; you have to special order it in and in privacy it costs $69 (nice.)
(No wonder the front door leverset doesn't match every other door.)
Loctite it is.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

B-Nasty posted:

Milwaukee also warranties their packs for 3 years (the high caps are 5 years), which being maybe 30% more than the knockoffs, seems like cheap insurance. If the KOs use a crap cell, it may work great for a two dozen charges or so, then start to suck right after the ability to return it to Amazon is done.

The manufacturer limited warranty on batteries is practically worthless, I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

mds2 posted:

Anyone have experience with the Worx power washer? I need a power washer. Electric one suck rear end, and I just saw this thing. I had a worx weed wacker a few years back and it was bulletproof.

https://www.worx.com/hydroshot-portable-power-cleaner-wg629.html

This post is perplexing to me.

Electric power washers suck, but you link a "20V" battery powered thing?

What are you cleaning?
If you want to do say a driveway, then you need a petrol washer.