Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enziarro
Sep 4, 2004

I'm not an angel - I'm a Galactic Pioneer.
I'm trying to decide between compact/12v drill/drivers to add to my kit. I'm stuck between the Milwaukee M12, Makita FD02W, and Bosch PS31.

I'm generally a low voltage field service technician. For the past year I've made it with hand tools and borrowing from co-workers, but sometimes rearranging 40U of rack-mount equipment by myself with a Klein 11-in-1 gets old.

Situations where I'd need a bigger drill generally fall to the responsibility of someone else, and if I get stuck with a tough job and can't borrow someone's 18v setup I can just run my company corded Bosch hammer drill off the generator on the back of my truck. For most of the stuff I'm actually doing any of the compact/12v tools would be more than enough, and keeping a full-size tool in my kit would be a bit too much.

I've only personally used the M12, a coworker has one and it seems pretty good. I've got a few Makita tools I've been quite happy with, so all other factors equal I'd probably go with theirs, but I haven't had any hands-on time with their offering or Bosch's.

Anyone have any personal experience or advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enziarro
Sep 4, 2004

I'm not an angel - I'm a Galactic Pioneer.
I got the M12 Hammer Drill / Impact combo bag a few years back, and it has been awesome. Some folks on job sites still talk poo poo until they use them, then want to buy them. I beat the poo poo out of those drills at work all the time and they just come back for more. I will probably get the same setup in Fuel / Brushless at some point in the future but frankly I don't even need to, the regular M12 tools do 95% of the work I'd ever do. Going to the brushless would probably get me up to 98%.

Edit: I have apparently been abusing these tools since early 2011, thankfully this thread is old and pushed me toward M12 back then

enziarro fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Sep 22, 2014