Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

truncated aardvar posted:

I want to put a shout out to my Stanley ratchet screwdriver...

I love this screwdriver. I have one for work and have been looking to get one for home. So nice to have all the bits in the head of the unit and the ratcheting action works very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

stubblyhead posted:

What's the conventional wisdom on getting tools from pawn shops? I was browsing through one today and they had a pretty good selection of power tools. They'd obviously seen some use, but presumably are in working order.

Ugh, they're terrible. I paid $10 cash for an electric drill and it only lasted 12 years.

Wait. Never mind. Based on my anecdote of 1, pawn shop tools rule. I think you're going to run into a mixed bag of junk thrown in with a few nice tools once in a long while. If you don't mind gambling on your tools, you'll probably be fine.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

stubblyhead posted:

The latter.

Wear gloves when handling this stuff. It gives off a distinct (and stinky) creosote smell. If you are hauling the railroad ties home in the back of a pickup truck, it wouldn't be a bad idea to lay down a disposable tarp because that poo poo is nasty and sticks around a long time.

A chainsaw will work well although you can use another power saw, rotate the block, take another cut, rotate the block, take another cut, and repeat till you get through. A chainsaw should go all the way through the block.

My family used creosote ties for a garden border years and years ago. Do *not* get this on your skin, it's itchy and gross. Once in place they should last 25 - 50 years given decent condtions. This stuff is rugged.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

tworavens posted:

Well, its not like it will drip all over the place. But creosote is toxic. Probably a good idea to use some other treated wood if you are going to have dogs or kids playing in your yard.

Unless your kids like to lick garden edging, I don't think you'll have a problem. Dogs will tend to avoid the stuff. Once it gets a covering of dust on it from the yard it won't be nearly as sticky/stinky.

Like I said, we've used these things for decades. They have their drawbacks - the stench of creosote for one - but they are tough as hell and make for great retaining walls if you bore out a half-inch column and run some piping through them into the ground. This isn't Holmes on Homes approved but stacking them two high with that kind of bracing worked great at our last couple homes.

Just to be clear I'm not dismissing your concerns entirely but it's not like creosote is instantly fatal to children due to explosive rupturing of their digestive tracts or something. "If only little Timmy hadn't seen a creosote-coated telephone pole, he'd be alive today!" There are loads of toxic chemicals and byproducts of our modern life that I think would be much more reasonable to worry about. Then again, they aren't my kids so it's worth knowing that creosote isn't something to try and chug in your gatorade.

CuddleChunks fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 7, 2011

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

I have a set of the Irwin clamps that I got for Christmas. I love them. I also get extremely irritated because the throat depth is narrow and some things won't clamp properly because of that. I haven't done any precision work with them so haven't noticed any of the torquing issues mentioned above.

They are great as gifts. I'll be expanding my range of clamps in the future though because they don't work for all the situations I have in mind.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

themachine posted:

Everyone I know in this industry so far uses what is called a Birdog, seen here https://www.perfect-10.tv/marketing/birdog/ .
I'm pretty sure this is what we use for aiming. I'll check with our satellite guys but you're likely going to need to buy one of these to do your work properly. It just means you need to save up from your next few jobs until you can afford that tool. Here's a site with a variety of tools so you can see that the birdog is about mid-range for expense. http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Order/Signal-Meters.htm

Edit: Yeah, we use the Birdog USB for all of our Dish Network installs. We've got an AccuTrac and some other hunk of junk but those might have been for when we did Hughesnet/WildBlue installs.

CuddleChunks fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 27, 2012

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

A buddy of mine just got this kit for work: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-203266851/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=ridgid&storeId=10051#.UR5oyaUqY3Q

He's liking it so far after using it for installs over the last day or so (lots of self-tap screws).

I'm looking at it for home use for light-duty craft projects and fixing stuff. Does anyone have any warnings about the product or the pricing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

dyne posted:

I have had the set with the hammer drill for about a year. I like it, but I think a bearing on the impact driver has started to crap out (it's noisy).

Remind him to register for the lifetime service agreement.

Thanks for the info. Looks like I'm gonna pull the trigger on the set.