Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
I have the old-rear end version of this inherited from my grandfather. I want to restore it. Any tips, aside from "take a photo of the levers before drilling out the rivets"? Any ideas for paint? I'm thinking either OD with flat black latches and red trays or TF2 BLU Engineer color scheme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

IOwnCalculus posted:

A, badass, B, perhaps watch some Hand Tool Rescue for inspiration?
Oh, I have. i'm just a bit worried about not being able to get it back together right -- neither of the HTR knockoffs I've watched restore something like it were very clear on how they put it back together (one used pop rivets with washers, the other tiny nuts and bolts, but no details given).

I'm thinking brown rustoleum hammered finish for the outside, matte OD or brown inside, red for the trays, and black hardware. Maybe I'll get started on it this coming weekend, if it stops raining.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Long-term review (unpaid, just a satisfied customer): I bought this pair of Stanley Demo Drivers ten and a half years ago:

On the advice of a (shill for sponsorship) tool-review blog that hammered them all the way through a 2x4, with only light scratches on the handles. Paid or not, that's badass, the slotted one especially is a beast. Have used them for everything but driving screws almost every workday since. Mostly for prying/being hammered in between two piece of steel and then prying, Occasionally used as a cold chisel to beat the head off small screws. And using the handle as a mallet to beat kinda sharp-edged aluminum extrusion onto its clip-mount when the 3lb hammer would crush it, which is why the rubber is all hosed up now:

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss. I found out Dewalt bought the design and fixed what minor problems it had (removed the overmould, which makes sense, and put a rubber bumper between the cap and handle to protect the plastic. Still :10bux: for the Phillips/slot pair. Same "Demo Driver" name, and as far as I can tell comparing brand-new to ten-years-old rode-hard-and-put-away-wet, identical aside from the improvements I mentioned.

So I ordered three new pairs -- one for my home toolbox, one for my brother, and one to replace the old set in my work toolbox. The old ones will go in my regular around-the-house kit for continuity -- all the tools I don't take to work got stolen a few months ago when somebody broke into my shed, and I'm slowly rebuilding.

Edit: the tip on the old one looks a bit narrower, but that's ten years of wear from beating on gondola shelving with it, so not bad.See the first photo straight out of the package.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 2, 2018

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Rebuilding my toolkit after my shed was broken into and it was all stolen. Current status:

Excuse the potato quality, my phone shat itself at 39% battery, and this was the best I got before that.

Clockwise from 12 o'clock, spiraling down: worklight with magnetic base stuck to the side of the box; Craftsman socket set; tape measure and axe-sharpening puck; random nuts/bolts/&c.; Bic lighter, loupe, and pocketknife with marlinspike; epoxy, Sharpie, and pencil; pliers and crescent wrench/precision screwdriver set; big prybar screwdrivers (see my previous post, it's the old ones and the spare set)/scissors; the Altoids tin is labeled "earhole pluggers" and contains several sets of foam earplugs; combo wrenches and Allen keys. In the bottom is an ancient L. Coes wrench, a hammer that is cross-peen both ways and weighs about eight ounces (one face is | and the other is --, if that helps. It's the one with the darker handle), a Horror Fright clicky torque wrench in its plastic case, an old-school framing hammer with an axe instead of claws because that's badass, and a ball-peen hammer mostly hidden under the light (between the axehammer and wrench).

Edit: to the left of the framing hammer is the rail of duplicate sockets. The set had like five 10mms, and one or two extra of the other most common sizes.

Edit again: I can lift it, but I don't want to. The box itself weighs 15lb and it's full of steel things. In other news, the scissors and weird metalworking hammer were inherited from my grandpa. :unsmith: Eventually I'll restore the box like this I got from him, but for now I just bought a new version of it.

What else do I need? The Coes wrench doubles as an Engineer's hammer, so "bigass implement of bashing" is covered. And I have the framing hammer, 1/2" ratchet, and screwdriver handles as smaller tappy-tap-tap implements, in decreasing order of weight.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Oct 14, 2018

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
First of all, that's the home shop box, lives in one place and is mostly for working on my car and the odds and ends not in my working box. This is the second box for the stuff that doesn't get used as much.

Second, yes, it's an old-style framing hammer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IE0-I0T7Xhc&t=251s

I rarely-to-never actually build anything out 2x4 or bigger (if I did, of course I'd have a modern hammer), and if you can't tell from the design of the box and the ancient L. Coes wrench, I like old-style stuff.

Edit: non-potato photo:

The axe end of the hammer is really quite useful for splitting kindling, small tree-pruning, and such. Also I still need to get a replacement 4-lb engineer's hammer, for the serious hammering jobs.

At work, working with gondola shelving (i.e., rearranging grocery stores) everybody else has a rubber mallet, I have a 3-lb drilling hammer and a set of those demo drivers, because sometimes I have to fit a 48" shelf into a 47-3/4" space.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

a pair of metal snips and a blade knife. Maybe needle nose pliers, a way to strip wire and electricians tools if mess with electricity at all.
I have all that laying around somewhere, do need to put it in the box so I can find it. My father was an HVAC tech for 40 years, I'm constantly moving metal snips aside to find tools when I use my parents' shop. Same with wire crimpers and the associated connectors. I have appropriated both from his spare kit, just forgot to put them in the box and/or forgot where I put them. I really need to put the electrical stuff in the box, last time I used it a few months ago, I found it under the bed, I have no idea where it is now.

"A way to strip wire" ... that lives in my right trouser pocket. It's called a knife. There's a spare pocketknife in the box. Sure, there are tools made specifically for stripping wire, and I own one, it's just kinda pointless when you have a sharp knife. Also, I may not have mentioned it, but there is a razor knife/box-cutter in there.

Speaking of electrical things, I'm throwing in the 2-foot lamp cord with spade clips on the working end. It was made for testing a 120VAC motor, but also useful for general mayhem.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Oct 20, 2018

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Just watched the latest Hand Tool Rescue video, and found out hiding screws behind labels is not a new thing, and by "not new" I mean it's been going on since before most of our grandfathers were born (I'm 36). They were hiding screws behind labels in 1911, when the labels were made of brass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
My mom used to make candles back when handmade candles were a thing. I found her leftover labels (Avery 5163) from then. So I'm printing my own stickers.

The missing bits from the sheet are the BLU logo on the hardhat and "Hacked" on the 'scope. Not shown: L/R markers for my new headphones, and the missing RED logo is on my brown toolbox.

The placement of the "DANGER" labels made to fill out the page are TBD -- lil' nephew (9years old) sometimes uses my tools, so NOPE. (He probably already knows all the cusses, but y'know, my mom/his grandma would yell at me if I stuck those to tools in his sight.)