Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

iForge posted:

That hole looks pretty crusty. Clean it out and make sure its not just a set screw that is full of dirt and poo poo.
That's my guess as well. Usually a pin will have a complete through-hole so you can knock it back out if needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

sharkytm posted:

Or its an allen set screw.
Or not. I was agreeing with iForge's original guess that it was a set screw, and then made the comment that pins *usually* have holes on both sides. Turns out neither assessment was correct.

Acid Reflux fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Mar 14, 2011

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

mrglynis posted:

It turns out you cant cut a 2x6 all the way through with a 7 1/4" blade. Who knew. Probably everyone, but hey, at least now I know.

You should be able to cut almost completely through two stacked 2-by-whatevers with a 7.25" blade. Even My $49 Ryobi adjusts up to a little over 2.5" cutting depth.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

I considered that, but then couldn't come up with a scenario in my head that fit. I'm always happy to take a correction where warranted though, so mrglynis has my apologies if that sounded snarky. Wasn't meant to be. :)

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

kid sinister posted:

Welp, my old 19.2V batteries for my Craftsman drill finally gave up the ghost. Should I replace them with more NiCd/NiMH's, or step up to Li-Ion's? Does anyone have experience with both kinds? I know if did, I'd need a new charger as well.

Now that I own a couple of good quality LI-powered tools, I'll never go back to NiCads again. The initial investment might suck a bit, comparatively, but in my opinion the difference in power, run time and battery reliability is worth every penny.

I have one of these Milwaukee drill kits (gift from the boss, he purchased one for all us airplane monkeys last year as a thank-you), and one of these little Makita kits (wheeled and dealed with the Mac tool guy, got 'em for $75 after trading in some of my old poo poo) and I use at least one of the various tools every single day at work. I'm honestly surprised that I haven't destroyed any of the batteries yet, but my only frame of reference is all my old NiCad stuff. All these new tools just seem so much more robust. Even the cheap Ryobi cordless tools seem to gain a new sense of manliness when you switch to their LI packs - one newer guy in the hangar has one of their 18V drills, and it's (so far) doing really well for him.

I might not have laid out the money if I'd had to pay full retail for my stuff, but I certainly will in the future now that I've seen how much better the LI batteries perform under heavy use.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

dwoloz posted:

Those look nice. They both say not to use with stainless though and that's primarily what I'd be cutting. Bah!

These are the specific tool for the job but are 60 bucks http://www.cswestbikes.com/servlet/the-52472/Hozan-Spoke-Cutter-spoke-dsh-end/Detail

That's one of those tools where you should probably just suck it up and pay the asking price. Any other tool not purpose-built is going to do the job poorly, and probably break in the process. It doesn't take many broken cheap tools to equal the cost of the right tool.

I have a pair of reversible lock wire pliers (for twisting stainless steel safety wire, used a lot on aircraft) that cost me $110. Worth every last penny. I broke three cheap sets at $20 a pop - in less than three months - and finally just gave in. The good ones have been going strong for over four years now, and with their lifetime warranty, even if I happen to break them I'm still ahead of the game.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Thumposaurus posted:

Whatever drill press you end up getting get a uni-bit to go with it.
It'll save time in changing bits and cut cleaner holes.

A few days late to the discussion as usual, but I was going to suggest this exact same thing. I cut the holes in my Hammond-style aluminum enclosures with a $15 set of auto parts store unibits and have always been pleased with the results. Center punch the location, set the depth on the press, and get perfect holes every time!

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Super Waffle posted:

Is this a good a deal as it seems? M18 RED Lithium Drill/Driver and Hackzall, two batteries, and a carrying case:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...#specifications

I'm sorely tempted

If you haven't picked this set up yet, grab it fast. The drill and batteries alone are worth that, so it'll be like getting a free Hackzall. I still can't say enough good things about my M18 drill...I beat the poo poo out of that poor thing and it just keeps on going strong.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

thespaceinvader posted:

E: I was hoping initially for a mirror finish; right now I'm hoping just to keep it from getting worse again. I probably should oil it or something?

Somewhere in the depths of the blacksmithing/metalworking thread, AbsentMindedWelder made a great post about using anhydrous lanolin as a rust inhibitor. I couldn't find it here, of course, but I did manage to find it on another forum. I'm going to be trying it out myself very soon, because now that spring is here, the humidity in my basement workshop will be at roughly 172% and keeping all the tools clean is almost a full-time job in itself.

Acid Reflux fucked around with this message at 01:44 on May 12, 2014

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Needs to have some kind of robotic frame that vacu-sucks itself to the wall, crawls around to the right spots, and makes holes in a meticulously preplanned pattern that can only be laid out in their proprietary software/accompanying app.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Trabant posted:

:hmmyes: pretty much that but it's open source:

I love that thing. Any equipment that has bricks designed into it is all right by me.

canyoneer posted:

An app-connected suction robot probably has some more lucrative, uhh, non-construction uses. :roboluv:
There's definitely still gonna be some drillin' goin' on! :quagmire:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Vim Fuego posted:

No more dead calipers

Hey, welcome to the club!

I haven't replaced these two AAA's in what I think is over 5 years now. I modified the inside of the battery box so they run in parallel. UNLIMITED POWAAAHHH