Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

Crotch Fruit posted:

I have a Ryboi wood bandsaw, can I use it to cut some sheet metal? I want to cut a piece just thick enough to hold it's shape for a panel about a foot square in size. Ideally I would be using aluminum or steel just depending on what I can get a hold of.

Band saws are commonly used for that, but if you don't have a blade specced for cutting metal expect it to go dull really fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005

Catfish Stevens posted:

Harbor Freight is having a 20% off sale for memorial day weekend. I need a tap and die set, time to toss the dice.

I bought one of these sets to do a couple aluminum threads with for a quick art project and misc use in the future. The taps I got work fine, but the dies in my set literally cannot cut anything. I even tried them on a piece of nylon rod and they wouldn't cut. Good taps and dies are really worth it if you can spare the cash or buy them over time and wait for each size to come in the mail.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005

Calidus posted:

Sounds like table saw safety features are going to be mandatory and SawStop will wave the 840 patent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxKkuDduYLk

If they actually waive the patent then fine but we are talking about some extremely litigatious fucks and we've been down this road more than once. A vague assurance and some insulting quips from someone who has done everything possible to prevent competitors from making a competing product does not assure me. Saw stop has patents until 2033.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Table saws are definitely overused but they're also really handy and can do the work of many other tools to high precision. They haven't achieved the legendary status of radial arm saws yet but I wouldn't be surprised if we see a push away from them over time. Especially if new ones suddenly start costing $300 more for entry level. My only real problem with the breaks as a standard feature is that the sawstop guys have blatantly showed that they aren't acting in good faith in the past. It wouldn't even really impact me personally because I'll just keep using my ancient oliver.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Speed painting and speed carving videos seemed to be popular for a while but the algorithm giveth and taketh and is especially capricious. The only thing that seems consistent is that it constantly gets worse. Like when you train a gpt on other gpt outputs or xerox a xerox to many times.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Black Rifle Coffee will never not be hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

I'm going to need to pickup a miter saw in the neat future and it looks like Harbor Freight has their sliding dual bevel on sale for $300. It seems like it's compared pretty favorably to the Dewalt equivalent but substantially cheaper. I don't necessarily need the sliding aspect but the price seems pretty good in general. I was thinking I might find something else around Fathers day and I don't think this is a unique sale price for this saw so I could also wait to see what else shows up. Should I just pull the trigger? Look at something else?

Fyi, you can occasionally find the Dewalts on sale for that price. I've seen them twice at Lowe's for that and once at HD in the past 3 years.