Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I'm a Harbor Freight kind of shopper, having lived in apartments. I didn't use tools often enough to justify buying anything but the very cheapest, with a handful of exceptions (a decent drill, socket set, screwdriver set).

It's time to buy some jack stands, but I don't want to go with Harbor Freight for something that could kill me. I also don't want to spend $200 on a set like the gearheads who do car stuff as a hobby. I want something that will be a good value for my needs, which is holding one of my two small hatchbacks up for the occasional brake job or transmission fluid change.

What should I be looking for? What strength rating should I buy? Any brands to avoid? Any bargains to be had on the internet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

OK. I'll probably just get the HF jack stands. I was only concerned because a lot of internet nerds were whining about weld quality 2/10 would not bang.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I need some way to cut quarter round moulding around cabinets on a laminate floor. I need to cut good 45 degrees. Are tiny little miter boxes like this any good for this purpose? I'm probably only going to use this once, so I'd rather spend $15 than $150 on a powered, big saw.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_48795-355-20-600_0__?productId=50168173

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I'm borrowing a tile saw from a guy at work. It's a nice wet saw that formerly belonged to his brother, who had a habit of buying very nice tools but being horrible at every task he tried to use them on. The water pump died about 20 tiles in, and I replaced it with another universal pump.

I'm getting the hang of this saw pretty well, but I've noticed the last dozen cuts or so on 12" ceramic floor tiles have a hard time making it all the way to the end before cracking. Fortunately, all these cracks are pretty close in line with what the saw would have cut anyway.

Does that mean it's time to replace the blade? If so, my coworker is getting back a tile saw with a new pump and new blade, lucky guy.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

http://www.lowes.com/pd_571001-40854-RK5131K_0__?productId=50169939

Got one of those last weekend. I'm doing some tiling, and after undercutting one door jamb with a keyhole saw, the oscillating tool has paid for itself in how much easier that task has become.

I bought a compressor and brad nailer to redo all the trim in my house. I'd like some recommendations on hoses and fittings. They all seemed really expensive in the stores, like they were the high margin items in the store (like HDMI cables at Best Buy).

My nailer uses a 1/4 in connector, and I'd like to have a blower attachment and something to inflate tires.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

kid sinister posted:

Seconded. Both companies have great warranties too.

Leatherman used to offer lifetime warranties :sigh:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

My HF rule is "nothing that can burn my house down or kill me"

Things that do both are probably OK though

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I got an oscillating tool a couple months ago as part of a tiling project, and it has paid for itself many times over with how easily and neatly it undercuts trim/door jambs. Does it just as neatly as a jamb saw, but can be used for stuff besides cutting jambs.
It has also been very handy for lopping off the baseboards that are stuck behind the permanently installed desk.

It's the best :allears:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

melon cat posted:

Any recommendations for a tile cutter? I just found out that our house's builder decided not to install floor tiles beneath the vanity we're replacing, and the new one we bought has an exposed underside. :downsgun:

And what tool is best for scraping off old Thin-Set? Will a floor scraper like this one do the job, or is there a better tool?

You never got a good answer on the scraper. When I took up a ton of linoleum and tile, I used this bad boy.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/QEP-8-in-Wide-Adjustable-Razor-Floor-Scraper-and-Stripper-62909Q/100067461

The replaceable 8" razor blades are super helpful, rather than the larger blades like you linked. I found it was worth it to go through blades quickly because a super sharp blade made it real easy.

I just laid ~700 sqft of tile, and borrowed a wet saw like this from a guy at work.
http://www.amazon.com/MK-Diamond-157222-MK-170-3-Horsepower/dp/B0000TN120

It was really, really helpful. I also used a tile wheel on an angle grinder for the fiddly cuts (going around doorways, bathrooms, plunge cuts)
The wet saw left minimal chipping on the tiles. I laid ceramic and porcelain, and the angle grinder (even with a new wheel) chipped the porcelain tiles to death to where you couldn't have the raw edge visible. Wet saw left a crisp, clean edge on both the ceramic and porcelain. Whatever you do, don't use either of them inside or anywhere you don't want to be covered in tile dust or water.

If I were doing a large quantity of tiling again, I would just buy a wet saw like that on Craigslist and resell it a few weeks later once I was finished. You can also rent them or whatever, but then you're in the time crunch space of "got to have it back by 6 or else I owe another $80" :ohdear:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

http://www.homedepot.com/p/BLACK-DECKER-22-in-Corded-Hedge-Trimmer-HT22/203162431
I bought one of these guys last night to trim my tree after getting a love note from my HOA who do not understand what trees are supposed to look like. I have bougainvillea, an olive tree looking thing, a shrub, and a pepper tree. So, not really heavy duty stuff.

Anyway, for one of the trees I had to climb all the way to to top of a 14" stepladder and flail the trimmer around wildly to get the last little stragglers up top and it didn't feel super safe (because it probably wasn't)

I'm considering returning it and buying something similar, but on an extendable pole so I can avoid the ladder entirely for most of the tree, and not have to climb so high at the far end of my reach for the top of it. Any recommendations on a corded electric pole trimmer?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

:stare:
Uhhhh my dad uses a grandpa inherited really scary looking rusted like crazy compressor. I should probably try to convince him to get a new one.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

spog posted:

Just FYI: welding without pants isn't a great idea.

We have a saying in our house: Everything's more fun naked, except cooking with grease.

Welding is a similar exception, but you get the idea.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

So, is this Lowes DeWalt miter saw $78 better than the harbor freight one?
http://www.lowes.com/pd_122210-70-DW715_0__?AID=10926682&PID=4328635

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

It drives me nuts to not see people wear correct PPE. I work for a big manufacturing company (not on the floor) and they are nuts about it. They even send us emails this time of year about safe practices for hanging up Christmas lights.
It takes, like, 4 seconds to put on eyes, ears, and gloves. But all the PPE in the world can't correct unsafe practices.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Cakefool posted:

I thought the advice was no gloves for anything with moving blades?

Probably. Like I said, I'm a hobbyist so I have no idea. But not knowing something won't stop me from arguing on the internet about it!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

tater_salad posted:

On my list next is one o them thurr fancy oscillating tools.

I really like mine. I've used it probably a dozen times in the last 6 months, and each use was made way easier by the tool existing. It was super useful for plunge cuts on trim in my house while I was tiling, and for undercutting the door jambs for tile. It also zipped off some too-long toilet bolts in a jiffy.
I remember someone in this thread saying that he super hated using his, but it is super helpful if you're using it for the right task and don't already have a huge stable of specialized tools (like, say, a jamb saw)

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I got those cool Howard Leight active noise cancelling earphones with the aux jack. Will be great for listening to music while wearing ear protection and running loud stuff.

And also a teeny palm sander and angle grinder. I can't wait to find something that needs sanding or angle grinding.

canyoneer fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 29, 2014

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I took the thread advice and bought one of the braided nylon hoses for my compressor. I've been using my pancake compressor exclusively to run a brad nailer for trim, and the pile of 25 foot hose has been annoying, but it has fired every time without kinks or whatever.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Crotch Fruit posted:

What corded drill should I buy for woodworking that is less than $100? I don't want to have to charge batteries, I'm going to use it at home all the time where I will have an outlet or extension cord nearby, I have a cordless "drill" (7.2v screw driver) for just in case stuff, and I think I can get a more powerful and cheaper drill if I go corded.

I think a $59 DeWalt 8amp is my best bet but I don't want a repeat of the Harbor Freight miter saw incident. . .

I have this one.
http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWD112-Pistol-Grip-Keyless-All-Metal/dp/B0011XSEW6

I think it's the same as the one you linked, except the DWD112 has a bubble level included (actually pretty handy). I've had it about a year, and I'm real happy with it.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Speaking of quick change adapters, I have a huge tray o' bits from Ryobi, with quick change adapter included for all of the screw heads, hex bits, ratchets, etc. Cool!

Problem is, none of the drill bits have the hex quick change thing, and must be manually tightened down. Sort of a bummer, as the quick change needed 95% of the time is swapping between making a hole (drill bit) and filling the hole with a screw (screwdriver bit).

Does such a thing exist?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

melon cat posted:

I hate to bring it back to the miter saw discussion, but this DeWalt DWS782 just went on sale at Lowe's. It doesn't have a light, or a precision laser to aid cutting (both of which I would've liked to have), but at a -$250 discount it's quite tempting. Any thoughts on this particular miter saw?

Also, I want to buy a miter saw stand. Is it possible to mix-and-match brands? ie. can a DeWalt miter saw be mounted onto a Makita brand saw stand?

(Thanks to the posters who discussed their miter saws in really great detail a few pages back, by the way).

Don't feel like you're in a rush on it though, $450 CAD appears to be "regular price" on amazon.
http://ca.camelcamelcamel.com/DEWALT-DWS782-12-Inch-Slide-Compound/product/B00ITS6NCY

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Motronic posted:

Again from purely anecdotal my-own-only experience it was a mistake and a waste of money. Buy the largest and most importantly best quality compressor you can afford. Quality comes before capacity because unless you are doing poo poo with it for a living (in which case you should be able to justify a proper compressor) you can wait for it to pump back up.

There's probably always room in your life for a small pancake compressor though. With a 30 gallon unit, you're doing a combination of hauling it around and running huge runs of hose. For running a finish nailer redoing all the moulding in my house, I probably would have had a pretty unpleasant time with anything bigger.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

dyne posted:

I recommend a good floody headlamp if you guys don't have one. I have a zebralight h51 that I use all the time, its way easier to grab and use than to set up my stationary worklight.

Truth. I have a couple of really nice headlamps from Black Diamond and Petzl (:homebrew:), and those are my go-to for lighting 95% of the time.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

If you need a lot of grass cleared quickly and can choose to use either the British scythe champion or a gas trimmer, pick the scythe guy every time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsfIHiBB6xE

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Old tools like scythes are really interesting to me.
It's neat to think that many thousands of my ancestors could probably swing a scythe like nobody's business.
Then there's me, using a laptop to earn my living

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

stealie72 posted:

Also, is the tried and true extension ladder still the best workhorse, or have telescoping and multi-section adjustable (Little Giant type) ladders improved to the point that my 6'4 260lb rear end can be comfortable/safe on one?

I have a little giant and a folding Werner that belongs to my brother in law. I hate the Werner but it's like 3 feet longer and I only use it when I really need that extra 3 feet.
Everyone but the crustiest of old dudes just love my little giant ladder. You can get them at costco, but as stated, put some shoes on.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

My bro in law has been in Korea for the last 3 years with the Air Force. When they moved they sold the house, and he left behind a buuuuunch of tools in our inlaws garage for me to use. I just now learned that he had done so, because my mother in law couldn't find them in the garage. I did all the 5" trim in my house with a handsaw and miter box when I had a perfectly good Ryobi miter saw sitting there :negative:

I found this searching for a tile saw on Craigslist.
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/tld/5149882362.html

quote:

7 inch wet tile saw is 6.5 A. This is in great condition. This is a wonderful saw to handle all of your work requirements. I look forward to becoming your friend. Your friend Bob. Please text 602-332-8056. Thank you and have a phenomenal day.
Anyone want to make a friend? :kiddo:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I thought the going wisdom among bike people was not to used powered compressors to inflate bike tires?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

My favorite is buying a duplicate tool because I can never find the one I already have

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Splizwarf posted:

Another thing in favor of circular saws: none of the other tools mentioned can be for example fitted with a concrete or asphalt blade and used to edit the driveway/sidewalk/road. Or used to cut apart a car. :dukedog:

Really? No personal experience with it, but I've heard that cutting concrete is a great way to kill your circular saw.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKv2CNCgcAs

Here's a reminder from This Old House on why you should wear all the safety gear when using a chainsaw. Real neat demonstration on how the chainsaw chaps work.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

tater_salad posted:

Re ladder chat.
Get the 22ft werner multi position that has a 300lb load and then you will be super happy.

E: basically you will never need another ladder.. you can use it to paint to hit your roof, to do stairwell work..

Yea it'll be more than the $100 shake rear end extension ladder.. but it will take up less space and replace your step ladder and extension ladder.

Yep. The joint flexing thing is no big deal either as long as you're otherwise using the ladder as directed and not using it to traverse a crevasse on Everest or something.
The mechanisms aren't really that fiddly either, both the Little Giant and Werner ladders have great hardware on the joints

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

sharkytm posted:

Or cut door trim for wood flooring. I use my OMT all the drat time.

kid sinister posted:

Oscillating multitools are extremely niche in their use, but they are the absolute best tool for those uses. Nothing can make a plunge cut like one.

Need to cut the bottom off a doorjamb to be able to fit a new floor tile under it? Oscillating multitool. Need to widen a hole for a new baseboard register but don't feel like taking the baseboard off the wall? Oscillating multitool. Need to cut a hole for an old work box? Oscillating multitool.

I'll agree though, other saws make other cuts MUCH better. Buy something like a reciprocating saw, then ask for an oscillating multitool for Christmas and cross your fingers.

Yes and yes. It is also the tool most frequently borrowed from me.

It truly is the king of plunge cuts. I considered that tool "paid for itself" the first time I used it to cut a doorjamb for new flooring.
I've also used it a bunch of times to zip off the end of a screw or bolt, like when I installed toilets.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Seeing those videos from Southeast Asia of construction workers barefoot or in sandals in shorts and a tanktop just makes me nervous. You're at a construction site what if you step on something pointy or drop something on your foot? :ohdear:

I bought that Ridgid 7in tabletop tile saw at Home Depot. Hope it works well!
My 3 year old was really excited that I was buying a wet tile saw because he thought I was saying "reptile saw" :3:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005JRJE7Y/

I see there's a deal on Amazon for this Dremel pack today. I don't have a rotary tool, but I vaguely remember hearing (here?) that you don't actually want the Dremel brand rotary tool, you want a rotary tool from a different brand.

Do I buy it?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Hubis posted:

There's also the issue of safety. Plug-in tools are rated differently for things like conductor insulation and shorts than battery powered tools, for example, because you have conductors connected to a 120V source in there rather than a completely isolated device. In theory it's probably justy as safe most of the time, but if you ever got a short in your power supply you'd suddenly be in a lot more danger because it's not designed to avoid energizing metal parts, etc.

Yeah my wife was telling me one of her friends had her husband convert their battery powered baby swing into a plug in.

I told her I'd rather keep buying AA batteries rather than immolate my baby

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Someone was telling me that they did a case study with Black and Decker in grad school. A B&D guy came in and talked to his class, and told a story from the 90's when they rebranded their Black and Decker Construction Grade tool line as DeWalt. At construction trade shows, they'd have people come up to the booth all day and tell the B&D people that those DeWalts a few booths down are so much better and that company is going to kill B&D in the marketplace. :v:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

What's the recommended bluetooth or wifi OBD2 reader for car stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

B-Nasty posted:

Amazon has a well-liked 10" Hitachi for $109.

I thought those were like $40 depending on accessories?