Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
I am planning to do some arts and crafts work with thick plastics (anywhere from 1cm thick and down), possibly some wood (the arts and crafty kind, not chunks of wood meant to make log cabins) and very little (if any) metal work.

This is all done on a small-ish scale. Most my projects would have me doing cutting and drilling on stuff about the size of hard drive.

I was looking into rotary tools to do some fine cutting and wanted some advice to fit my needs.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-RTX-B-Rotary-Storage/dp/B000MUSLCC/ref=reg_hu-rd_add_1_dp_T2

I was looking at this because it's cheap.

I was wondering if there was anything better in the under $80 price range that you guys could recommend me to work with the materials I listed above.

I'm mostly concerned about having decent straight cuts (not too much jags so I don't have to spend infinity time sanding it), and whether or not these machines gunk up easily or melt through plastic due to the speed its cutting through it.

This is my first time doing ANYTHING like this, so I need as many pointers as I can get. I don't even know exactly what to ask for since I know nothing of the terminology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.

iForge posted:

Go Dremel or go home.

But.. where should I go if I am already home? Should I go to yours?

iForge posted:

As far as gunking up or melting the plastic, as long as you are using the correct bit for the material you are working, you won't have a problem.

Is there any type of bit I should look for specifically? Or would they very obviously say "FOR PLASTICS YOU SISSY" on the front of the package?

Like.. for cutting plastics would it be a serrated edge? Just one giant sharp pizza cutter knife looking thing? What do you suggest? As far as working "professionally" with stuff.. I always know companies make a TON of useless "specialty" poo poo when there always gonna be that ONE multi-use bit that all the pros know about.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I can't check that site until I get home, but was wondering if this can fit the bill:

http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-300-1-24-Variable-Speed-Rotary/dp/B002BAHFBE/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1300756438&sr=1-2

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

Hey guys just checking in to say thanks for the tips. Bought myself a Dremel and have been carving the poo poo out of plastic lately!