Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Yeah those are designed for a framing nailer, specifically a clipped-head one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Clip-head framing nails are against code in a lot of areas now, they want full head nails, which means getting a different gun.

Yeah, I should have mentioned that is at least true in most (if not all) of the US, not sure about the UK though (where the original link seems to indicate the nails are being purchased).

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
I have a Fein multimaster, and it is an amazing tool. Sure, you don't use it most days, but holy hell an oscillating multi-tool can get you out of a hell of a lot of jams, or do things that almost no other tool could do.

Definitely worth having one in the arsenal.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

I. M. Gei posted:

... because the proper thickness doesn’t exist? The planks are about 1” thick now, which is only about 1/8” to 1/4” too thick, and anything thinner than that probably wouldn’t be thick enough to hold the dirt in.

I mean I can look (again; for the 5th time) for proper-thickness wood, I’d certainly rather get that than buy a whole planer, but I very extremely strongly doubt I’m gonna succeed in finding it.

Most real lumber yards will also plane down lumber to your exact requirements.....for a small fee sure, but certainly cheaper than buying a planer that you *may* use in the future.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I need to spray some paint that is thicker than my pneumatic HVLP gun can really handle. Are there small (handheld) airless sprayers that are decent? This is for occasional use but I do want something that can spray a good finish as it’s on smooth wood/trim not drywall.

I have one of these that works pretty drat well. But if you're going for the sort of finish you would normally get from an HVLP, I haven't been able to quite dial that in yet (my windows/trim wound up with some faint orange peel), but have only used it with pretty heavy Benjamin Moore latex paint. That said, it was more or less equivalent to what I was able to get out of the HVLP for that paint after aggressive thinning.

It also puts out A LOT of paint, even with small tips. You would have much better control with an HVLP if you are doing detail work, but if you are just doing bulk linear trim or something, this thing would have you covered.

ROJO fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 25, 2021

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Thanks that helps. I was looking at the DIY/home depot line of graco handhelds and didn't know there was a step up. Talked to the graco tech people and they were very helpful. How is the battery life? I usually prefer corded stuff but cordless could actually be really useful in a paint sprayer.

I never ran into battery problems with it - but I haven't ever had a use case that would likely cause me to run the battery dead (siding).

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Not sure if this really belongs here or the Home Zone thread, but I'm gutting the half of my garage that has my workbench, pegboard, tool storage, etc on it. Goal is to more electrical, insulate, and replace the ancient built-into-the-framing workbench.

Does anyone have experience with any of the metal pegboard options out there and have a recommendation? I was thinking metal would be a good step up over the fiber-board standard stuff, and be more durable in the long term. The big-box stores both appear to sell the same option (Wall Control), but there are other options available from online-vendors or industrial supply places. I'm guessing it is all pretty much the same barring slight differences in thickness etc, but thought I would ask here if anyone has something they have used and love.

Bonus pic of the Russian Nesting Pegboard I found when I was ripping the wall off. That back layer is just over the empty stud bays, inset from the sheetrock face:

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

KKKLIP ART posted:

What's up team yellow big saw buddy :bandwagon:

How do we differentiate Makita from Bosch? Team Blue vs. Team Blue/Red?

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Does anyone have a preferred, high-quality tap and die set? Cost isn't necessarily a huge concern, would rather have something that will last (at least until I snap the taps off in something) and has a pretty good selection of freedom thread sizes. Thanks!

ROJO fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 21, 2021

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Do you oil it regularly with pneumatic tool oil? A few drops of oil in the air inlet almost always solves my pneumatic fastener-shooter problems. Could also be that a bit of whatever holds the nails together in the strip got jammed up in the feed or something.

Worth highlighting that while most pneumatic fastener-shooters require regular oil, there are some that explicitly say not to oil them, so uh, read the manual.

Although I think across all mine only 1 is oil free (brad nailer) and the rest all require oil (framing, siding, finish, stapler).

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

powderific posted:

I’ve had a few roombas over the years and they’ve all been pretty good. One big nice thing is they’re fairly serviceable for what they are and you can get spare parts and whatnot.

I can attest to how easy they are to tear down - one of my dogs had an.....uh.....unfortunate accident on my friends roomba in the middle of the night (it was super hot and he was over-heated).

:nms:

Was able to do a full tear-down and cleanup with just the basic hand tools my buddy had on hand and zero manual/instructions - it was super clear and obvious how it came apart. God bless the engineer who added this plastic shield above the mother board (seen after cleaning), they saved me from having to clean liquid dog poo poo out of discrete electronics with a toothbrush.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Johnny Truant posted:

I'd rec Olfa instead of Dewalt, at least for the handle: https://www.homedepot.com/p/OLFA-25-mm-Utility-Knife-EH-1/206431677

That twist-locking mechanism is :yum:

I cannot recommend a Tajima knife enough.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Who makes decent hand tools these days? I'm finally tired of not having metric nut drivers and want to pick some up. Most of my hand tools are craftsman and date back to when they weren't utter garbage. I know they're just nut drivers, so they don't need to be amazing, but at the same time I don't want to ever buy another set in my lifetime.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

stealie72 posted:

Rojo is the real victim here. This got ignored.

The go to these days appears to be "whichever big box house brand has the best sale on the tools you need."

My personal collection is a mash up of a 25 year old craftsman mechanics kit supplemented by kobalt, Stanley, and husky. It all works fine.

HolHorsejob posted:

I've had good luck with Tekton wrenches & sockets. For precision screwdrivers that see a lot of use, Wiha all the way. Hakko flush cutters. Don't know a decent brand for pliers.

deimos posted:

Knipex you philistine.

http://kctoolco.com/

My wallet sends it's regards.

Thanks for seeing through the weird knife chat kind goons.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Motronic posted:

I know I'm super late to the part on these, but I finally got a battery angle grinder and it's awesome:

Hell yeah, was going to post the same. Not having a cord on the grinder is a revelation (and I'm never doing enough grinding to run a battery down), plus the paddle switch was failing on my old one anyways so it was a justified purchase :colbert:.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Bob Mundon posted:

I don't have the snow blower, but dove headfirst into their ecosystem when my gas mower bit the dust and couldn't be happier.

:same:

It felt like I was betraying Team Yellow by straying, but real happy I did. Ego for yard stuff, Dewalt for everything else.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Trabant posted:

:stare:

I think the joke is that OP tried using a collet extender for regular routing operations. It failed under operating conditions. Resulting in a bent collet extender.

---------

Spot on! I there was a moment there where everything actually seemed like it was gonna work, then I turned it on and this happened immediately.

From here.

I wasn't even aware collet extensions were a thing and can never imagine using one after seeing this.

:stonk:

good lord

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

CommonShore posted:

I have an old propane tank that my house's previous converted to a compressed air tank and it can run a brad nailer easy. It'll do like 200 18 gauge shots or something like that if I charge it to equilibrium with my shop compressor. And when it's charged it weighs much less than a full propane tank, so presumably it can go way higher in pressure (which I'm not going to test).

Uh yeah, please don't. Propane tanks hold liquid propane. That's why they weigh so much.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Another vote for the ego mowers (and just their tools in general, at least the blowers and string trimmers). I love not having to deal with 2-stroke gas or maintenance on small engines.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

That Works posted:

TAJIMA Utility Knife - 1" 7-Point Rock Hard Magazine Snap Blade Box Cutter with Auto Lock & 3 Rock Hard Blades - AC-700S https://a.co/d/2tgLzkN

Bought one of these and some blades ages ago I think on a rec from this thread and it's worked great for years.

Yeah, the TAJIMA knife is great. Works great for cutting batt insulation as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Tool in the far right and half cut off seems to be a leather punch?

Red handle is a spring compressing tool used in changing drum brake shoes.

Small silver thing with the loops is for gapping spark plugs.

Big HKP thing is a bolt cutter it seems?

Thing to the left of the bolt cutter is a cylinder hone.

ROJO fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 5, 2024