Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I'm in the market for some flex head metric hand wrenches. The type that have an open socket you can reach in tight places. I've looked at some GearWrench brand and they seems super expensive. Are the hand tools from Home Depot/Harbor Freight whatever solid enough? I dont need them for professional daily use but I dont want a lone single rusty bolt to break a tool a week in either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I am glad I found this thread!

Going to need to pick up a table saw here soon for a few projects. Hoping to get a halfway decent one for under $300. I thought I could get a decent one cheap used but theyre all either huge gently caress off size full time woodshop size, or rusted old cast iron ones with no parts or vacuum hook ups.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Will I regret buying a Bauer brand Harbor Freight miter saw? There's one on sale right now. I've never used any of their power tools before. I'd avoided them for years due to reputation but started buying some stuff here and there the last year and have actually been pleasently surprised this far.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

tater_salad posted:

yeah that's my experience with a bauer one my father in law made me use when we did a deck. It was poo poo.. there was lots of slop in it and it wasn't the greatest. It ran, it cut wood.. I came back the next day with my Metabo/Hitachi and did any cuts that didn't' require the extra width the slide allowed for.

Well I ordered it and a digital magnetic angle guide just to check and be safe. We'll see how it works. Half the cost of the ryobi or Dewalt ones at home depot. Reviews on the site seemed good, hopefully works fine for light use. Figured I'm better off spending real money on the table saw instead.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

It really seems like Harbor Freight made a decision to go mid tier and leave the total garbage to the ALLCAPs brands on Amazon.

I've been buying some new and replacement tools the last few months after avoiding Harbor Freight for decades and have been pleasantly surprised so far.

I'm still not going to use them for my primary high use tools, and I'm just a general DIYer so it's not like I'm using them hard but still I've been pleased.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Project Farm is the best! That guy does the best most thorough tool reviews I've ever come across.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Ill have to give him a watch. Im a big Steve Ramsey fan right now, as someone who is trying to teach himself woodworking beyond your typical (poor in my case) construction framing level.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Another vote for the ego mower. I’ve had mine for close to 5 years and it’s been maintenance free aside from blade swaps. I love their leaf blower too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I’ve got the Bauer branded miter from HF and it’s been great so far. Not going to pretend I’ve put it through it much yet but it’s worked fine for me.

I wanted to get a digital angle gauge anyway so I bought one at the same time to double check the guide on the saw and it was spot on after I got it all setup correctly.