Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

OSU_Matthew posted:

Pro-tip, use hardboard on top of 2-3 layers of OSB for the bench top. Cheap, sturdy as gently caress, replaceable, and blissfully splinter free. Also much easier to find tiny lost parts and nails on hardboard than OSB

I gotta second this as well. Hard board is great and really easy to keep clean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Cross posting from the woodworking thread but maybe this is more appropriate here.

Has anyone here made MAtthias Wandel's Thickness/Drum Sander plans? If so how is it? Anything you would improve or change?

I might start making it this week but modify it like Marius Hornberger has so you can also sand from the top. Without an auto feed the top sanding seems a lot easier to manage.

I'm gearing up cutting board production to try and attend some shows in the fall and sanding is my real bottleneck.

Drum Sanders retail for crazy amounts. North of 2k new in Canada. Even on Craigslist the cheapest I've seen is $600 or they are absolutely enormous for my small shop and not viable. Here is the best I've found.
Having the auto feed might be worth the price though. I might make Matthias' one till I can sell a few boards and then buy a nicer one to really ramp up production.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

MrPete posted:

Being in Canada and wanting a top mount sander have you considered just making a vdrum kit from stockroom supply?

Neat, I had no idea this existed. Thanks!
Even if I go the full thickness sander/top mount combo this seems like the best deal. After pricing everything I'm looking at close to these prices anyways to build it.
Bearings and flanges are more expensive than I thought they'd be. Though I could probably build a cheaper solution than cast flanges. It looks like Marius went that route in his video.

keep it down up there! fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jul 13, 2016

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Frogmanv2 posted:

Does anyone have any experience with one of those cheapo laser engravers? Been thinking of getting one.

I'm curious about this as well. There are some mega cheap Chinese models out there.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Rnr posted:

Just wanna say, if you're in the US, you should buy this. I'm really jelly right now.

Same :( It's crazy to me they will ship to Hawaii but not Canada.

I live so close to the border, I really should find a way to get some items shipped to Buffalo so I can just go pick them up.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

swampface posted:

It could be worse, mine is backordered!

It could be worse, they wouldn't ship to Canada! :smith:

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Squibbles posted:

I think Lee valley in Canada was running the same or a very similar promotion actually

Oh god please don't tell me I missed that. I live a block away from a Lee Valley...

Edit: Looks like they still got it for $129 CDN. Though it's listed as sold out for now. Hope they get more.
Thanks for pointing it out.

keep it down up there! fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Nov 4, 2016

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Tony Doughnuts posted:

Ive lost faith in cordless grinders. Every time i need a grinder and i grab the cordlese, it dies 1 cut before im done and then the battery has to cool down and charge. I'm just going to stick with corded.

This is me with circular saws. They always seem to hold a little less charge than I need for a single project/days work.
If I ever buy another circular saw it's gonna be corded for sure.

I have my Grandfathers old corded one from the 70s as backup, but god drat that thing sounds like a jet engine.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

I've been debating buying this face shield. I like that it's completely clear.

https://raygear.com/index.php/x-shield-by-raygear-face-shield-safety-glasses-all-in-on-combination-safety-industrial-recreational-use.html

Apparently it's the prop they use in Westworld for the medical techs. I saw Adam Savage got one which was how I found out about it.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

I'm still upset I couldn't nab one :smith:

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

NPR Journalizard posted:

Get a cyclone so you arent constantly changing vac bags. They are cheap as, and pay for themselves drat quick.

Any cheap cyclone recommendations? The dust deputy seems the most common but also feels a bit absurd at $80 CDN.

My current plan is to just make my own, it seems to work well for Matthias.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

I didn't think to check for chinese knock offs. Thanks for the idea.
Looks like Ali Express has some for $20 and free shipping.

Probably 2 month shipping time though...

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

That's correct, you can just cut each side once. Might take a few tries to get each side aligned well though.

Can always finish with a hand saw too if you had to.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Bad Munki posted:

Here are the lights in question, they've been a crowd favorite for a while now.

I'm jealous of this deal. Costco Canada has similar lights for a similar price. Except we only get 1 instead of 2.

I really need to make a day trip to Buffalo one day and load up on harbor freight clamps and costco lights. Even with duty I should save a shitload.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

I second getting the floor done first. I wish I had.
Now I have so many tools, tables, stands, etc I would need to rent some kinda storage unit to sit in my driveway for a few days if I ever wanted to reasonably empty my garage shop to do anything with the floor.

Walls are easier to manage as you go. I started with just some OSB on the walls and upgraded as I needed.
If you go that route I recommend painting them white. It helps a lot with brightening up your workspace.
Cleats are definitely the most convenient option though.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Does anyone have a recommendation for cheap particulate filters in Ontario, Canada?

I have a 3M 7502 Respirator and have been buying the 3M P100 Particulate Filters off amazon. But they aren't very cheap, and so I find myself using a cartridge for far longer than I should be.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

rawrr posted:

You can look into the 3M 3200 series half masks, as the replacement 3701 filters are only $6 for a pack of 10 (from aliexpress). From what I can tell they're only sold in lower income countries (i.e. China).

I use them for light duty stuff, and they seem to work fine.

aliexpress has the ones I need for $3.50 per pair. So much better than $15 per.
Thanks!

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Does anyone know where I can buy a single valve/nipple for a 3M 7502 dust mask?

Something like this, but I don't need an entire case...
https://www.amazon.com/3M-Inhalation-7582-Respiratory-Replacement/dp/B009POI6RG

I noticed yesterday my mask is missing one of the 2. I haven't where it ended up or how long ago it got lost. I assume the mask is not working as intended without it. Which is a pain since there is a lot of sanding in my immediate future...

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

WashinMyGoat posted:

Zoro sells them by the Each. I found 2 10 packs in my warehouse of a part # 6889 that I test fit in a 7502 mask and it’s identical. I could probably get a 10 pack to you cheaper than buying 1 from Zoro. Let me know, and I’ll figure out how to buy them on my account and ship them or something like that.

Oh man that would be awesome. I would certainly pay you for your effort/shipping/whatever. I don't have PMs but if you wanna email derek.mccrone at gmail we could work it out. I really appreciate it.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

So here is an odd one.

My grandfather has dementia and we're having issues where he keeps disconnecting his cable TV for some reason, then he gets super frustrated and calls for help to get his TV working. I haven't a clue why he does it but I was thinking I could add some of those coax locks the cable companies sometime use to prevent you adding a splitter.

Anyone know what the locks are even called? Whats the tool called to add them? And where can I buy both?
I need 2 or 4 so I can just lock down his setup.

I can find removal tools on amazon, but no luck with the actual locks and the tool to add them. I'm hoping they just have some unique name Im not finding.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Thanks! Security Sleeve seems to be the keyword I needed.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Can anyone recommend a good place to order replacement parts for a Ridgid r4511 Table Saw? I'd be ordering to Canada.

I'm having an issue with a sticky power switch and I want to order a new unit. I took it apart and tried reseating the cables but no luck. I think the actual switch mechanism has become too loose.

Originally it just took several switches to turn the saw on, which was annoying but usable. Now I'm having the same issue when turning it off, which is super unsafe so I need to get this resolved asap.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Thanks!

Looks like just the switch is discontinued so I'd have to buy the entire assembly for $70. Thats a pain =/
But If it's my only choice, oh well!

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Also a good idea. Thanks!

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Going to check this out tonight. Guy listed it for $200 CAD.

Anyone have any tips on what to looks for? Seems like a killer deal so im kinda suspect. He mispelled the brand and tool though so maybe he just isn't familiar with what it is.

Cross posting from the wood thread just in case I get some useful info before I go.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

I'm thinking about having a 220v line added to my garage workshop so I can upgrade my dust collector and table saw.

Would it be viable to run them both at the same time off the same circuit?
I'm looking at a 2HP DC and a 3HP Sawstop.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Perfect. Thanks!

The sawstop is a ways off, but I see a good deal for a used 220 Dust Collector locally so Im thinking of nabbing it now and being prepped for when I can afford the saw.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

I just grabbed a new (used) dust collector and the seller didn't have any bags. Looking online I see plastic and fabric ones. Im leaning towards the fabric one since I empty my dust/shaving into brown bags for the city to collect. But I figured Id ask here what people thought before I ordered.

Also has anyone tried these built in Baffle Separators that go right inside your DC?
https://www.busybeetools.com/products/baffle-separator-for-2hp-and-3hp.html

The DC already has a canister filter but since I'm debating moving my shop to the basement, I want to cut down on as much dust as possible so it doesn't risk getting elsewhere in the house.
Im also debating building my on baffle or cyclone but that project would be a few months away and this is a pretty cheap option if it works.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

ThirstyBuck posted:

For additional lighting, I am thinking of replacing the existing bare bulbs with these.

https://www.costco.com/Feit-4-ft.-Linkable-LED-Utility-Motion-Sensor-Shop-Lights%2C-2-pack-.product.100415188.html

I put up 4 of these in my garage shop (around 10x20 feet) and the difference was just amazing. I wish I had done it sooner. I highly recommend these.
Its nice they can just chain together. I didn't want to rewrite the actual fixtures so I just chained the lights together and plugged the last one into a power bar so I can easily turn them all on at once.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

I bought a used dust collector and the strap that holds the bottom bag on was missing.

The replacement straps from Busy Bee are $38+tax + $12 shipping for a 2 pack.

Anyone know of somewhere I can buy just 1? I don't need 2 straps and the other will surely just go to waste/sit on a shelf for years. The bags are meant to work with this specific type of strap, so maybe I'm just out of luck.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Squibbles posted:

$20 for Lee valley ones, if they would work. LV has a good return policy if they don't I guess http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=44699&cat=1,42401&ap=1

Perfect, thank you!

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

In a similar vein, I got this thing for my big DC and it is great for $35. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001399USU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_EO5VBb9TTD20Z

I want to get something like this as well. Since my new shop will be in the basement I want to eliminate as much dust as possible. This along with the canister filter on my DC should be a big help.

Lee Valley has one that fits on a 55 gallon drum. I'm trying to find a cheap drum locally and figure out a way to put a bag right inside. I've seen some people make cages out of wire that keeps the bag in place inside the drum. So my plan is to go that route.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Travelling to the Vegas next week. I wanna head to harbor freight and get some clamps since they are crazy expensive in Canada. Mainly F clamps and maybe some pipe clamps.
Anything else I should consider that harbor freight does well for the price?

Flying home so can't get anything too big/insane.

Also, does anyone know if SawStop does Black Friday deals? It seems unlikely. Especially in Canada.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

I need a new Random Orbit Sander. I have a simple Bosch one, which is fine, but I think its time to upgrade to a nicer one with variable speed.

I'm still very upset I never got the cheap Festool PRO 5 LTD Sander they sold for $100 like 2 years ago. They never brought it back at that price either. :smith:

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Well thats a bummer. Im looking into buying one, but not for another 2-3 months :(

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Has anyone here bought the knockoff dust deputy from China?
I generally like to go for quality tools, but the price difference here is literally 10 fold for the Super Dust Deputy. It's almost $300 CAD for one(on sale from $450!), and I can get a knockoff on ebay for $35ish +shipping.
I feel like this is a hard thing to screw up even with cheaper china materials/process. I imagine the worst part is it might not be as efficient.

I've debated making my own cyclone but I'm building a new shop and its a ton of work as is so some parts just gotta give.

Another option is a cyclone lid/theine baffle for a garbage can. Veritas has one for $80, but I've read they aren't nearly as effective as a proper cyclone.

What are peoples thoughts?

New shop won't be ready for a month so I got some time to decide and wait on slow chines shipping if I go for it.

keep it down up there! fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 15, 2019

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Really any of the big name players will work there. Dewalt, Mikita, Bosch, etc. I bought into Bosch myself, mostly cause I had the drills already.
I found with the budget brands, a lot of their tools were fine but the batteries were poo poo and didn't last.

I was sick of my circular saws binding as well and bought a worm drive style saw this year. The difference is night and day. It has its downsides compared to sidewinder style for sure, but the added torque means it never binds on me and that's a trade off I am thrilled about.
In the end I'm glad I own one of each, but I think the worm drive will see far more use.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

I've always just used a shop vac to get as much as I can, but it's def not the most efficient with longer runs.

I recently moved my shop into the basement and my dust collector is near my dryer. Can anyone think of a reason not to attach it to the dust system once or twice a year to clean it all out?

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Literally A Person posted:

Tbf, I have a huge garage door as the 4th wall of my shop so blow off actually does something

One thing I miss about my garage shop was the big rear end door. Just grabbing the leaf blower and going nuts on dust was great. Now I actually have to vacuum everything like a sucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

I have this one from LeeValley and love it.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/tools/workshop/storage/tool-storage/50425-carpenters-tool-bag?item=68K4216